IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

Love the image of RJ rapidly scouring the internet for ending spoilers, (for a game he clearly has no interest in) and then wanking himself into a frenzy as he reads it and rushes here to let us all know.

Still in, since I'd rather make my own decisions than read some incredibly hot takes online.

14 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Now I really can't wait for it. 

I don't mind what they do with the remake, it's a separate entity for me. I just want to hear and see that world through the lens of contemporary tech. I don't expect them to rebottle and rebadge lightning. I'm glad to hear that they've done some stuff to subvert expectations, and not repeated the exact same story beats.

Obviously, some people are thrilled that others might be upset and disappointed but who am I to begrudge such an impoverished spirit its kicks? Does the humble bluebottle not relish his dogshit banquet? 

It's great that you find the changes exciting and I don't think I'd care so much about the changes myself if it hadn't been for the fact that the game is called FF7 Remake. If they'd subtitled it A FF7 Reimagening, I would've been totally fine with it but we were promised FF7 to be remade with new technology and this is certainly not what they've done. 

This is basically

Spoiler

a ⅓ of disc one padded out to a 50 hour long fetch quest collection that feels like a parody of jrpgs

but if people are fine with that, and this is the way remakes should be handled in the future I'll stick with the originals. RE2 and RE3 have been remade in a great way, imo, that's the kind of treatment I kinda expected Squeenix to give to FF7. 

That spoiler thing is both incredibly sad and incredibly hilarious. Oh, Square. Oh, oh, Square. This feels like a Spirits Within type of disaster in the making. But now that expectations have been properly adjusted I'm still going to enjoy exploring Midgar with gorgeous modern visuals. The original FF7 was mind blowing back in the day, and all I wanted back then was to explore those gorgeous backgrounds. Now I can do that. I'll enjoy it regardless.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That spoiler thing is both incredibly sad and incredibly hilarious. Oh, Square. Oh, oh, Square. This feels like a Spirits Within type of disaster in the making. But now that expectations have been properly adjusted I'm still going to enjoy exploring Midgar with gorgeous modern visuals. The original FF7 was mind blowing back in the day, and all I wanted back then was to explore those gorgeous backgrounds. Now I can do that. I'll enjoy it regardless.

I know I've been spending time on what I didn't like personally but that's mostly down to what people seemed to want to find out about. With that said, now that I've finished the main story, there's certainly a lot to like about the game.

As a remake I'm not very fond of it but as an isolated FF7 themed game it mostly works fine. There are some areas that are so beautifully crafted that I spent ages just looking at stuff like textures and props. In the original game the proportions were all over the place but now everything is to scale and it simply looks stunning.

I'd love an animated series that simply tells stories about what goes on in this city, it's just so big and believable. 

The best bits in this game are among the best bits in any video game ever but it just doesn't add up as a coherent whole to me. It's like being served my favourite dish only to find out the chef has added spices that really doesn't mix well with what I thought I ordered. 

4 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I know I've been spending time on what I didn't like personally but that's mostly down to what people seemed to want to find out about. With that said, now that I've finished the main story, there's certainly a lot to like about the game. As a remake I'm not very fond of it but as an isolated FF7 themed game it mostly works fine. There are some areas that are so beautifully crafted that I spent ages just looking at stuff like textures and props. In the original game the proportions were all over the place but now everything is to scale and it simply looks stunning. I'd love an animated series that simply tells stories about what goes on in this city, it's just so big and believable. 

The best bits in this game are among the best bits in any video game ever but it just doesn't add up as a coherent whole to me. It's like being served my favourite dish only to find out the chef has added spices that really doesn't mix well with what I thought I ordered. 

Thanks for thst write-up, it sounds like I'll love the good bits you describe. Just looking at the beautifully realized game world is all I wanted to do in the PS1 original after rinsing it, and with expectations in check, that's exactly what I'll get to do finally.

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Are they still stubbornly holding onto the digital release hostage despite everyone and their uncle already selling it?

Not my uncle, he's busy making that Switch Mario collection at work and doesn't have FF7R yet he told me.

35 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

False advertising. :lol:

image.thumb.png.f78534e2f8f2565ef1655cbc0beb4e52.png

Grindmouse is that you?

As if it remotely comparable to that! 

Its been marketed as one thing. Turns out it significantly different to that one thing. 

I think it's gonna crash and burn for this  reason.  As grindmouse said in a spoiler above, if they'd been honest about what it was going o be from the start it wouldn't have has the same hype / preorders. 

It's pretty shitty. 

And I don't even like ff7! 

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

Metal Gear Solid 2...

Reveal hidden contents

...All over again :lol:

Imagine being surprised by games again. Imagine.

On part 47 when you finally get knights of the round and unleash it  it just plays a video clip of nobou smiling from his old people's home saying 'kept you waiting' 

2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

@Rayn - I'm curious about your comments

Hide contents

It's not a remake. Who cares about minor deviations or padding it out with fetch quests, when the central narrative and is a standalone story involving alternate dimensions and is deliberately intended to give them an opt-out of continuing? It's horrendous they would do this to game in development for so long, marketed as a remake of FFVII.

I really don't want to spend a lot of time dissing the game, nor you, but there are a few things I want to make clear. 

Spoiler

First of all, you don't get to assume, presume or dictate what anyone should or would care about. There are people who avoid any information about certain games because they want to go in blind. Sure, 98% of everyone are bound to know that this game is the Midgar part only, but I know for a fact that a lot of people don't know that it has been padded out as much as it has been, and the way they've padded it out is actually insulting to me. 

Let me try to explain. Final Fantasy 7 was a game that got me back into the genre when it was originally released. I'd played loads of JRPGs on the NES, Master System, SNES and Megadrive before it, as well as loads of western RPGs on Amiga and PC. What most of these games had in common was a high fantasy theme, you were the mysterious chosen hero that was destined to save the world and more often than not you always seemed to start your adventure by killing cats and squirrels and fetching the village idiot's dirty robe from the pub. 

While I still loved RPGs I simply got bored with them, and then FF7 came out. It was the sole reason I bought a PS1. I knew nothing about it, I went in 100% blind. And it blew me away right from the get go. It opens up with a speeding train in a dark and mysterious sci fi metropolis with a banging rock track and you get to swing a massive sword, shoot lightning bolts and plumes of fire at ordinary human guards within five minutes of starting the game. Then I found out I was part of a resistance group who was supposed to take down an evil corporation and it all sucked me in. Who were the Shinra and why the violent resistance? Then little by little, as you progressed and explored, you got to see the slums and the bad way of living there. The flowers growing in a small patch of a ruined church (a wee patch of light and green in the middle of a mostly dark and bleak world), Barrets frustration of not feeling he does enough to save people. Then you get to meet the Turks and...well, I never felt I was a chosen one, nor was I told I was the only hope but I WANTED to do what I could to help these poor sods, I felt emotionally involved. 

After hours of playing I simply thought the entire game would be in Midgar but when we escaped only to be presented with a world map and places to go, I was blown away. 

Now, more than 20 years later we finally have the remake of a masterpiece that redefined the entire genre, and we once again get to visit the cold and fucked up place that is Midgar, now on consoles that are thousands upon thousands times more powerful and it certainly looks the part. But for some reason, someone thought it was a good idea to take this unique game with its unique story telling and setting, chop it up and add dozen upon dozen of fetch quests where I need to kill rats, find lost pets and pick up the dirty laundry at the pub again. Not all the quests are bad, mind, but it baffles me that they went this route by adding mechanics the game originally moved away from. 

So yeah, don't tell me I shouldn't care about "minor deviations or padding it out with fetch quests" as it dumbs down the game in more ways than it should. 

As for the story changes, they actually work fine but it grinds my gear that it's under the Remake banner. If only they'd branded this game as Crisis Core 2 or A Midgar Story or something like that, I'd be totally ok with it, but this is more of a demake than a remake. 

3 minutes ago, Rayn said:

I really don't want to spend a lot of time dissing the game, nor you, but there are a few things I want to make clear. 

Reveal hidden contents

First of all, you don't get to assume, presume or dictate what anyone should or would care about. There are people who avoid any information about certain games because they want to go in blind. Sure, 98% of everyone are bound to know that this game is the Midgar part only, but I know for a fact that a lot of people don't know that it has been padded out as much as it has been, and the way they've padded it out is actually insulting to me. 

Let me try to explain. Final Fantasy 7 was a game that got me back into the genre when it was originally released. I'd played loads of JRPGs on the NES, Master System, SNES and Megadrive before it, as well as loads of western RPGs on Amiga and PC. What most of these games had in common was a high fantasy theme, you were the mysterious chosen hero that was destined to save the world and more often than not you always seemed to start your adventure by killing cats and squirrels and fetching the village idiot's dirty robe from the pub. 

While I still loved RPGs I simply got bored with them, and then FF7 came out. It was the sole reason I bought a PS1. I knew nothing about it, I went in 100% blind. And it blew me away right from the get go. It opens up with a speeding train in a dark and mysterious sci fi metropolis with a banging rock track and you get to swing a massive sword, shoot lightning bolts and plumes of fire at ordinary human guards within five minutes of starting the game. Then I found out I was part of a resistance group who was supposed to take down an evil corporation and it all sucked me in. Who were the Shinra and why the violent resistance? Then little by little, as you progressed and explored, you got to see the slums and the bad way of living there. The flowers growing in a small patch of a ruined church (a wee patch of light and green in the middle of a mostly dark and bleak world), Barrets frustration of not feeling he does enough to save people. Then you get to meet the Turks and...well, I never felt I was a chosen one, nor was I told I was the only hope but I WANTED to do what I could to help these poor sods, I felt emotionally involved. 

After hours of playing I simply thought the entire game would be in Midgar but when we escaped only to be presented with a world map and places to go, I was blown away. 

Now, more than 20 years later we finally have the remake of a masterpiece that redefined the entire genre, and we once again get to visit the cold and fucked up place that is Midgar, now on consoles that are thousands upon thousands times more powerful and it certainly looks the part. But for some reason, someone thought it was a good idea to take this unique game with its unique story telling and setting, chop it up and add dozen upon dozen of fetch quests where I need to kill rats, find lost pets and pick up the dirty laundry at the pub again. Not all the quests are bad, mind, but it baffles me that they went this route by adding mechanics the game originally moved away from. 

So yeah, don't tell me I shouldn't care about "minor deviations or padding it out with fetch quests" as it dumbs down the game in more ways than it should. 

As for the story changes, they actually work fine but it grinds my gear that it's under the Remake banner. If only they'd branded this game as Crisis Core 2 or A Midgar Story or something like that, I'd be totally ok with it, but this is more of a demake than a remake. 

Good Post. We will all love it anyway, ff7 is my favourite game ever. 

Quick question for those that have either finished or played enough of the first section past the reactor

once you are in the Loveless area it seems you can wander a fair bit. Can you return here later or should I make sure to explore everything now? Cheers