Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

7 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

oh yeah.The materia system didn't click with me either,   Mostly probably due to me not giving enough time to try understanding it.  Think I'd already judged the game due to my intense dislike for the random battles. Seemed like they happened every 30 seconds in the opening sections. 

*goes off to read up on the materia system for FF 7*

The thing is that it's mostly an easy game to progress through, so you wouldn't necessarily know there's much depth to the materia system if you didn't experiment, track down some of the more powerful stones and attempt the optional content. There are certainly too many battles against useless enemies that don't ask anything of you on the main path, but when you get to some of the bigger stuff it's amazing what you can do.

I never got all the way through the original game until last year when I used the various options to turn off random battles when I wasn't in the mood. That would definitely be the recommended way to play FFVII (1997) now, and that particular port is available on pretty much everything. 

Any game that lets you set up stuff like counter-mime with W-Summon and a workaround to use KOTR is amazing. The fact that material offers that much depth but remains accessible and understandable makes it the gold standard of RPG magic systems. It’s one of the best customisation systems in any game I’ve ever played.

5 hours ago, rafaqat said:

(hopefully people who haven't enjoyed the game are still allowed to post without people concern trolling the other way)

Just in the interests of keeping the peace, let's just do away with these sorts of jibes... from all sides. Thanks. :)

3 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The thing is that it's mostly an easy game to progress through, so you wouldn't necessarily know there's much depth to the materia system if you didn't experiment, track down some of the more powerful stones and attempt the optional content. There are certainly too many battles against useless enemies that don't ask anything of you on the main path, but when you get to some of the bigger stuff it's amazing what you can do.

agree with this.  When I first played through I was an idiot and ignored a lot of the detail of the battle and materia system, I didn’t bother trying to actively level anything up and I got pretty far until I could go no further :lol: Schizo twins... without any higher level magic.  GG.

59 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Nope. Have you got a switch? It’s so lovely to play it in handheld :D

Yes, I think I already completed it in there :lol: and I started FF8 as a diversion... but didn’t get very far. Maybe I’ll divert into FF9 instead.

16 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Which will always fucking suck, despite the Square defense force. Sephiroth is supposed to be this enigma you only hear about from third parties in the first act, not an adversary and antagonist throughout the whole game.

Ok, I’m not the Square defence force but I am trying to keep an open mind on this one.  If he “appears” in Cloud’s memory, that’s cool with me.  The first act in FF7 usually lasted me about 5 hours, this is going to be significantly longer so, if he appears 5 hours in, so be it :P 

If it’s a flashback then that’s cool. Cloud obviously knew about sephiroth from the very beginning of the game. 

you also realise how much of a badass sephiroth is when your in shinra headquarters, which is pretty early on in the game. 

7 minutes ago, sprite said:

Yes, I think I already completed it in there :lol: and I started FF8 as a diversion... but didn’t get very far. Maybe I’ll divert into FF9 instead.

I’ve done exactly the same. Complete VII but could never get that far into VIII. 

3 hours ago, grindmouse said:

Yeah, I'm sure it'll still be fine, but I'd rather this part of the story focus on Rufus and Shinra as antagonists. This is Avalanche's story arc, and I like the sense that it just happened to lead Cloud, Barrett and Tifa into a wider narrative involving Sephiroth.

Well if the demo is anything to go by

They’re making Shinra an even bigger bad than they seemed in the original, IMO. Heidegger and the president are both there way earlier than previous, and they’ve made it stinkingly obvious that they’re playing very dirty tricks by blowing up the reactor properly.

Spoiler

Blowing up the reactor themselves doesn’t make sense in Shinra’s pretty limited plans in the original, so I have to assume there’s going to be an episode-specific arc about them that resolves whole the longer “hunt for the promised land” arc spins up.

32 minutes ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

Blowing up the reactor themselves doesn’t make sense in Shinra’s pretty limited plans in the original, so I have to assume there’s going to be an episode-specific arc about them that resolves whole the longer “hunt for the promised land” arc spins up.

I dont remember the finer plot details because it's been 20 years, but in the original is it

Spoiler

entirely Avalanche's fault that the f!@%ing pizza drops on the slums? (Now that I type out the name of their organisation the answer seems obvious)

Ok I caved and I fired up FF7 on Switch again last night and did the bombing mission, which took all of about 10 minutes with x3 speed :lol:

Anyway, it’s nice to do it, see how they have reimagined some of the little details.  For example, Jessie kicking the soldier on the platform.  I knew she did, but I forgot she did, and there she does it again in the new one.  :wub:

Im loving Jessie in the remake as well. Gahhh come on one month to go!!!!

8 minutes ago, Hitcher said:

Just played the demo and it didn't do anything for me at all. And they've got the check to expect £60 for it!

They arent asking you for £60 because you didn't like it.  It's not cheeky to ask money from people who want it.

39 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

We should have a sweepstake on where the second part might end up...

Hide contents

Leaving Junon for the new continent? Approaching the Gold Saucer on the cable car? Stepping into unburnt Nibelheim? Aerith's... :ph34r:

Spoiler

Just after the Jenova battle on the ship seems like the most obvious place to me. Massive cliffhanger potential. But there’s a lot of game to cover between Cloud recapping the plot in Kalm (that’s going to be a crisp way to open the second chapter) and the boat.

Temple is looong after Junon. Well, I was thinking of the first Junon visit. I can't imagine they'd finish it that early tbh. They would need 20 subsequent parts and people would kick off. Let's face it though, however they play it, people are going to kick off. :D

In the original Yuffie can join the team before Junon, but I suspect they might delay her appearance if it doesn't conveniently coincide with the start of a new chapter (going on this Red XIII business).

5 minutes ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

Just after the Jenova battle on the ship seems like the most obvious place to me. Massive cliffhanger potential. But there’s a lot of game to cover between Cloud recapping the plot in Kalm (that’s going to be a crisp way to open the second chapter) and the boat.

Spoiler

The original battle was probably a bit meh to leave things on, but perhaps they could blow it up and have Jenova's corruption totally take over the hull of the ship like some messed up Resident Evil boss.