IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

On 03/03/2020 at 13:47, dug said:

Hide contents

My question is, did this happen in the original, or in that was it Avalanche's bomb that did the damage? I mean, I'm pretty sure there was no cut scene directly showing this (although it's been years since I played it and time is not kind to memory), but was it implied at all?

On 03/03/2020 at 13:50, Ran said:

It is a change yes to make the terrorist action look more sympathetic/heroic (less like an act of terrorism)

There's a theory that the original game hinted at Avalanche being surprised at the damage the bomb did - they weren't anticipating such a big explosion. Notes from the original:

Spoiler

In 7th Heaven there's a bit of dialogue where Avalanche are watching a news report on their bombing, with Shinra talking about how Avalanche have claimed responsibility, and Jesse responds with: 

"Hey, look at the news... What a blast."
"Think it was all because of my bomb? But all I really did was just make it like the computer told me."
"Oh no! I must've made a miscalculation somewhere."

So people are suggesting that the actions were always implied, but we never saw anything as explicit as the remake's cutscenes...

Is this going to be "FF7 Remake: Part 1", then? What's the second entry going to be called?

I was also thinking, maybe this game is going to be to Square like AC is to Ubisoft, or CoD is to Activision: a franchise that gets a yearly or bi-yearly installment that brings in the dollar while they work on other things, like FFXIV updates and FFXVI (which I'm presuming is in development), as well as their other properties.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Is this going to be "FF7 Remake: Part 1", then? What's the second entry going to be called?

I was wondering the same thing, I figured by this stage they'd have put some sort of naming scheme on there but maybe they're... not going to?

Oh shit what if it's a Kingdom Hearts situation and they just keep adding new subtitles. Wandering in to Wutai in Final Fantasy 7 Remake Continued Extend Revival.

Spoiler

I apologise if anyone was offended by my language yesterday towards @RubberJohnny. I obviously misjudged it. 

Johnny, I genuinely assumed you were being disingenuous/on the wind-up when it's more likely that you took seriously my offer to bet our accounts on the length of the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Had I realised sooner that you weren't trolling, and that you really believed what you posted, and that you were actually offended by my language, I honestly wouldn't have continued to take the piss or double down. I sometimes assume that people are being disingenuous when the reality is more straightforward. 

No hard feelings from my side, and if I see you out there on the feral wastelands in the coming months, I will be sure to share a foraged pigeon egg with you. Hasta la vista.

An acknowledgement and apology. 

Sadly a bit of a revisionist one, I didn't take your original post seriously and wasn't even referring to you in the post that apparently set you off, but that you'd escalated it to several angrier and more offensive posts including calling me a cunt by the time I responded did indicate you were serious and properly angry over fuck all and were using the "just bants mate" excuse as something to hide behind. I mean you basically admitted to that in the PMs.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Just take the fucking apology. 

Considering he was sending me this "sorry you're too thick to realise me calling you a cunt was just bants" line yesterday, coming back and posting the exact same thing doesn't feel like an apology, it feels like doubling down. I mean he was doing this insincere "I hope we can still be friends" stuff on the end of his posts yesterday too.

DMqT6i2.png

Not sure why I'm being treated like the bad guy here.

Off-topic.

Spoiler

No, Johnny. I'm sorry to do this, but no. If you understand that my original post was a joke, then ask yourself what possible reason I would have to be angry...It doesn't make any sense. 

I was taking the piss out of you and rafaqat claiming that people were angry/sensitive about the length of the game because I thought you'd intentionally misread the tone of my comment for the purpose of trolling. If you hadn't misunderstood and knew it was a joke, then why did you believe I was angry?

Do you see the contradiction?

At that point, I posted a piss take of someone pretending to be offended which concluded with the analogous hypothetical concern troll (not you, a proxy) being called a disingenuous cunt. That was my way of showing that I was onto your ruse and I encouraged you by PM to post rather than just neg. At that point, I honestly thought you were just trolling and I genuinely apologise for not taking you at plain face value.

You then said I called you a disingenuous cunt, which I hadn't - as the mods could back up - so I thought calling you 'a lying disingenuous cunt' in response was a paradoxical and ironic joke. Since you'd made a big deal about my being angry and offensive, which I hadn't been, and I still thought you were trolling, I thought it would be funny to actually call you a cunt in response. Geddit? Again, at this point I still thought you were trolling but I also raised the suggestion that the alternative was that you aren't very bright. I'm really sorry for saying that under the circumstances.

Genuinely, had I realised that you were offended, I would never ever have called you any name nor taken the piss. It's not my style to go round upsetting people or taking the piss out of anyone who I don't think is on the same wavelength. I think my posting history here and interactions with pretty much everyone would back that up. I am a smart arse, though, but I usually judge it reasonably well. I didn't on this occasion. 

The reality is that you've repeatedly misunderstood my tone and intent here and I completely misjudged your posts as entry-level trolling and unwittingly upset you. I am genuinely sorry for that and I'll note it and take you at face value in future.

Does this mean that the nostalgia stuff...isn't actually a running joke? 

Edit: Oof. Saying we could still be best friends was another joke because I had just called you a lying disingenuous cunt...Do you see what I mean about completely misunderstanding each other's tone? Again, I hold my hands up, man. My bad. 

10 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Not sure why I'm being treated like the bad guy here.

Because he'd openly apologised to you, but you carried on the argument regardless, airing your dirty laundry for all and sundry. Like I said, just take the apology and move on. Or do you need to see him apologise via a youtube vid before you'll accept it? ;)

19 minutes ago, carlospie said:

According tothe completionist the demo has a lot of plot and flashbacks cut out of it compared to a demo he played at a square Enix event

That sounds interesting. Wonder whether the BZZZTTT wobbly moments with Cloud would be good opportunities to insert a little cutscene or two. I personally quite liked the pacy opening but I'd be interested in seeing them change things up. It's a separate experience for me, and even if they balls it up in some ways by experimenting, it won't tarnish the original. 

1 hour ago, Stanshall said:

That sounds interesting. Wonder whether the BZZZTTT wobbly moments with Cloud would be good opportunities to insert a little cutscene or two. I personally quite liked the pacy opening but I'd be interested in seeing them change things up. It's a separate experience for me, and even if they balls it up in some ways by experimenting, it won't tarnish the original. 

I presume it's because sephirotth appears much earlier in this one

20 hours ago, the_debaser said:

follow a linear path through the level

The No. 1 Reactor sequence in the original was just as linear.  And if part one is going to end with the motorcycle escape... well, there really aren't many opportunities to stray from the path when you play up to that point in the original. There are places where you can poke around and find chests and things in Wall Market and the Shinra building, but you always have one destination...

played the demo.  Stuck the combat on classic.  Was ok. Kinda suited me as I didn't really fancy getting into the intricacies of the combat.  I'll probably play it again with a different mode and see how I far with that.,   I never really enjoyed the original due to the random battles so there isn't the nostalgia here for me.   I'll probably wait a while for the various forumite impressions (hopefully people who haven't enjoyed the game are still allowed to post without people concern trolling the other way) and buy it later.   Big big game but yeah, one I'll wait on and see what rllmuk makes of it. 

For fans of the original what still draws you to it?  Is it the story?  

The story to a degree. The details of it are a bit of a mess, but the broader strokes of it are still rather good.

But more than that it's the characters, the world design, the battle/materia system and the music. They've all aged extremely well, and even still feel fresher than many more recent examples of the genre.

The story and, specifically, the character arcs. Everyone who matters seems to go on their own little journey within the main journey, and it fleshes them out just a little more.

But yeah, the materia system is great and I dig the future industrial aesthetic.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The story to a degree. The details of it are a bit of a mess, but the broader strokes of it are still rather good.

But more than that it's the characters, the world design, the battle/materia system and the music. They've all aged extremely well, and even still feel fresher than many more recent examples of the genre.

oh yeah.The materia system didn't click with me either,   Mostly probably due to me not giving enough time to try understanding it.  Think I'd already judged the game due to my intense dislike for the random battles. Seemed like they happened every 30 seconds in the opening sections. 

*goes off to read up on the materia system for FF 7*