IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

By God, that moment when the horns come in as the logo comes up. MY FUCKING FEELS CAN'T TAKE IT!!!

...anyway, beyond the music being as incredible as it's always been, I found the rest of the demo enjoyable, if a little light on gameplay. The best thing about the original (apart from the score) was the battle system, and it's only in the boss fight that I found myself having to actually think about what I was doing, but then all the bombast and numbers flashing up on screen made it difficult to tell what was happening. I was put in mind of Astral Chain, more than anything else, a game that I couldn't get on with, so I'm hoping that the battles become a little easier to process as the game goes on.

Regardless, however, I'll definitely be picking it up: the nostalgic pull is just too strong and I'm looking forward to seeing how they've realised all the different scenes and locations. I might not go in straightaway at launch, though, - I think it'll depend on how long the experience is. If the first game is just Midgar and the demo represents roughly ten percent of that and it only took me 45 mins to complete, I think it's going to have a pretty short run time.

(And was it just me who thought Heidegger should have been fatter and more...jolly, but in an evil way?)

Yeah, I always imagined an evil Brian Blessed sorta thing for Heidegger. He's a comedy capitalist, like a pig; greedy, fat and bloated. A lickspittle, comically evil and incompetent at his job. This guy looks too handsome and like he could actually get shit done.

From what I’ve read online, I think it’s going to be lengthier than expected. A few sites estimate around 50-60 hours, but then I think a lot of it is going to be padded out with side quests and added storylines.

This is from a recent interview: 

https://www.dualshockers.com/tetsuya-nomura-new-details-final-fantasy-vii-remake/

Tetsuya Nomura: “I know many are worried since the Remake project is in multiple games, and the first game only depicts Midgar. Don’t worry. It’s a highly dense game, and it doesn’t end after a few hours like the Midgar part in the original. There are many new events in the main story. Like a scene where you end up visiting Jessie’s parents, eating dinner. Each member of Avalanche is much more detailed compared to the original game, with new events to boot. By the time players leave Midgar, I’m sure they’ll be satisfied.”

I reckon we are gonna get a deeper look into avalanche, as well as the main characters. Even Biggs, Jessie and Wedge will have more of an input. I also think there’s going to be more flashbacks into cloud and Tifa’s past, and we will see quite a bit of nibelheim.

I think square are really putting their all into this remake. I know it won’t be for everyone, but it really seems like they are putting in the extra effort because the game is so well loved by fans of the original. 

6 hours ago, cohen205 said:

From what I’ve read online, I think it’s going to be lengthier than expected. A few sites estimate around 50-60 hours, but then I think a lot of it is going to be padded out with side quests and added storylines.

There aren’t any side quests or new areas of Midgar, like the whole games script leaked already - I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

Gamers: “I don’t have time to sit down with a gargantuan RPG anymore because of all of my other commitments as an adult!”

Also gamers: “noooo why is the game so short”

Middle-aged grumps who grew up with the original should appreciate a short playthrough ;) 

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

There aren’t any side quests or new areas of Midgar, like the whole games script leaked already - I think you’re setting yourself up for disappointment.

Have you read the leaked files? They don’t read like a full script, just large portions of one. And there’s nothing in them explaining certain images that leaked, which means there’s almost certainly more script than what leaked. The “it’s the whole script” narrative seems to have come from people scanning to the end to see if it’s the last part of Midgar, confirming that, then posting the same thing you are now. The leaked script also does contain dialogue and mission details that aren’t in the original game.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Maybe you are right, but there are definitely going to be side quests...

138093-3-full-1.jpg

55 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Who complained it was short?

I just said it won't be 50 to 60 hours, dunno how you read that as complaining, or the other guy read it as me saying "under 24".

This thread is weirdly hostile.

It's not hostile at all YOU MASSIVE WALLY.

I didn't read anything at all into your post, I was just goofing around. I'm baffled that you took that any other way but so be it! For the record, 20 hours or whatever is more than enough for me these days. Much more and I would feel they're probably dragging it out a bit. 

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Who complained it was short?

I just said it won't be 50 to 60 hours, dunno how you read that as complaining, or the other guy read it as me saying "under 24".

My post wasn’t directed at anyone in particular, but people have expectations and are going to be satisfied or disappointed... and this is amusing in the context of old gamers with less spare time. I completely agree that 50something hours is a bit much (and even my throwaway comment of “20something hours” that people latched on to was too optimistic), and I think that knowledge of the original sets people up for disappointment - if anything, people with no idea of how much was in the original will enjoy it more. :)

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

There's a bunch of people who've been waiting for this since the 2014 E3 of dreams and it was their big childhood game.  Normal to expect people to get defensive over anyone saying it might not be what they expect.

I deleted my smart arse comment but please feel free to point out where people are being defensive or hostile because I haven't seen any of that. I think most people have a pretty healthy acceptance that this isn't going to match the original game but it's going to be fascinating to see what they do with it. 

1 minute ago, Stanshall said:

I deleted my smart arse comment but please feel free to point out where people are being defensive or hostile

The post you just deleted called me a "disingenuous cunt" for the high crime of er, disagreeing with someone over possible game length.

That reads to me as both defensive and hostile, hope this helps.

On 05/03/2020 at 10:28, RubberJohnny said:

The post you just deleted called me a "disingenuous cunt", hope this helps.

No, it didn't, you disingenuous, lying cunt.

Edit: For context, this is a joke. There is a paradoxical irony in repeating the phrase 'disingenuous cunt' to someone who I had thought was pretending to take offence at the phrase 'disingenuous cunt' which in fact wasn't directed at him. The language is poor out of context, but at the time I believed that he was just trolling so I was happily taking the piss. Having subsequently realised that he was being serious and that we were on very different pages, I apologised and I meant it. 

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Mods can see deleted posts, so I'm sure they'll verify.

Spoiler

Mods can also understand nuance and context, and hopefully they can see that you're talking shit. I didn't call you a disingenuous cunt, it was a hypothetical analogous cunt, and it wasn't because we disagree about the length of a game, I was making fun of your concern trolling bullshit. 

24 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

You should definitely, definitely not take a helpful informative post from someone who has been nothing but polite as game criticism.

But it wasn't an informative post it was based on speculation from leaks? Square have already confirmed the game has side quests, and from screenshots they've released it also seems new/expanded areas of Midgar are in too. Plus the post Broker made which expanded on the script thing. Of course you just ignored those. Makes u fink.

Plus, people are probably just mega tired of your constant concern trolling.