Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

“‘absolutely loving it..” if only I had a £ everytime I’ve read that or even posted it myself.

It looks nice. Framerate is pretty good largely.

Camera is a little problematic at times. I adjusted the settings to have it swing behind the character which was better but I’ve had a few occasions where I’m not exactly sure what I’m looking at because it’s clipping through a wall.

Combat is maybe an upgrade from 15. It’s decent but a bit awkward to control.

Barrets voice acting and dialogue....erm. Nah.

You know what.I like it. I’m a huge fan boy of the original but that was nearly a quarter century ago. I MIGHT just wait for a sale on this in summer. Temptation might get the better of me though.

Classic Mode is definitely an easier on-road for the combat system, saving you from juggling a fairly complicated basic hand to hand combat system with a bad camera and freeing you to focus on the stagger mechanics and skills. It feels like this stuff will become second nature after maybe another hour of play; I wonder if the pace and complexity of the initial battles will be different in the released game?

42 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I've just 'Bought' the demo via the (absolutely shite) PSN app. Will it immediately start downloading it to my console if it's in rest mode? I want to know if it'll be waiting for me when I get home.

You can set it to download from the website (and presumably the app) from your download list. I don't think it does it automatically though.

I loved the demo, although it took me a while to properly click with the combat. I ended up restarting the boss battle half way through my first attempt, and faired a lot better second time around.

And yes, the music is amazing. :D

It’s nice to see the cranky mako reactor theme get some recognition, makes me think they’ll do a great version of the big pizza theme.

Oh, this is probably stupid, but did anyone else not really imagine mako as a liquid? More of a searing hot glowing plasma? It took me a minute to realise that’s what was around you when you were down there.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

It does feel a lot like letting the game play itself - I thought the idea of classic mode would be that AI attacks do barely anything but your ATB actions significantly hurt enemies... but those AI attacks were taking out smaller enemies on their own :D 

With classic mode I put the pad down and all the battles played themselves. It’s disappointing, I’ll be sticking with normal mode.

17 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Seems this was cut from the demo? 

Reveal hidden contents

or maybe I somehow missed it?

I think some of that is info from an extended play test that some outlets have enjoyed.

I've never really "got" traditional turn-based JRPGs so didn't know how this was going to be.

I enjoyed Crisis Core which isn't really a turn-based game but anyway.

I was really impressed by this! Obviously it looks and sounds amazing as you'd expect from Sqeenix but I liked how it played too - just the right balance of violence and strategy in normal mode.

Is everything in real-time in the demo? Opening cinematic included? I remember watching Advent Children way back when and this looks just as good at times.

7 minutes ago, gospvg said:

With classic mode I put the pad down and all the battles played themselves. It’s disappointing, I’ll be sticking with normal mode.

I played with classic mode and didn't even realise this was a thing, because I actually played the game.

31 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I played with classic mode and didn't even realise this was a thing, because I actually played the game.

Normal mode is better, no auto evade, auto defend or auto attack. I expected classic mode to be exactly as the name suggested but alas it’s an on rails experience where you can sit back and watch the game,

Normal mode on the other hand is much more challenging, I need to play it again to figure out the camera options. Wish you could turn off the tutorials.

Also some of the banter between the characters is funny, I love the Elevator dialogue :lol:

21 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

THE FEELS OH MY GOD THE FEELS. That music, those areas I remember like it was yesterday, THAT MUSIC.

I completely understand people wanting to talk about ledges and invisible walls in front of Cloud sized holes in fences, and 'worst characterization ever', but I can't remember the last time I felt like this seeing a game. It got to me, this really got to me.

I was right back in that game shop, where they had the CGI intro running - I was a confident Nintendo fanboy who was convinced I would never need PlayStation until I saw that and just stood there wide-eyed, jaw on the floor.

I was right back in that other game shop, later that year having scraped enough money together by getting a job in the weekends - spending it all in one go on a PS1 and FF7, running home excitedly.

I was right back to the first playthrough, mind blown all the way through having never seen such gorgeous backgrounds before. Never seen such an expansive and immersive game world before. I would play nothing else for god knows how long, restarting immediately after the first playthrough and then restarting again after the second.

Man, they got me right in the feels. Goddamn. 

You know, this is the first big budget game in a long time that has that retro feel. By that I mean you get into the game instantly despite the story happening up front. The tutorials, whilst poor don’t get in the way of the game either. The game starts as soon as you hit start, no long drawn out boring cut scene, no tutorials teaching you how to walk and duck, just straight into the game.

6 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

And a memory card, right?

For the love of all that is right and pure please tell me you bought a memory card?!

Yes. I think I bought two memory cards in fact. Tomb Raider was the pack-in game btw, but by that point I had already rinsed Mario 64 so I was like wtf is this shit :lol:

15 minutes ago, teddymeow said:

Is everything in real-time in the demo? Opening cinematic included?

No. Cinematics are pre-done, but they transition reasonably well gameplay via brief fades to black. If you're on a HDR TV you may notice the difference. According to Evil Boris the cinematics are graded for the much lower peak brightness of normal tellys (300 nits for anyone wondering) while the gameplay is properly graded at the higher peak brightness of HDR TVs (1000 nits in this game). 

It's way too early to know if the cinematics will have proper HDR grading when released, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Digital Thoroundry.

The demo is quite old, isn't it?

As far as HDR goes, in terms of successful implementation of it in games (from what I've experienced, personally) I'm not sure I'm not that HDRsed about it.

I'm sure it's great when it's done well. But the last time I was worried abou nits, it was a hair-based issue.

55 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I see it as like the auto mode in Persona 4: it’ll probably rinse the random encounters for you but you need to override it with strategy and key actions on important encounters against rare enemies or bosses. (Which felt like the game really respecting my time and intellect instead of my capacity for drudgery.)

Now that I think about it, I wish there was a way to have the Normal battle difficulty with Classic gameplay. Is there any word of that for the full release?

7 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I see it as like the auto mode in Persona 4: it’ll probably rinse the random encounters for you but you need to override it with strategy and key actions on important encounters against rare enemies or bosses. (Which felt like the game really respecting my time and intellect instead of my capacity for drudgery.)

Now that I think about it, I wish there was a way to have the Normal battle difficulty with Classic gameplay. Is there any word of that for the full release?

In the demo can you switch out the difficulty via settings? Or is it only the option at the start? Good shout on the Persona auto mode I forgot about that!

Nope, not for me. I’m a bit gutted, as I was really keen and have such fond memories of the original, but I really wanted the classic combat. I tried both Normal and Classic in this, and neither clicked. 

I’ll just have to buy the soundtrack and make do with that. 

5 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Nope, not for me. I’m a bit gutted, as I was really keen and have such fond memories of the original, but I really wanted the classic combat. I tried both Normal and Classic in this, and neither clicked. 

I’ll just have to buy the soundtrack and make do with that. 

Normal is fine, yes it plays like an action RPG but you press x to pause combat to think tactics. The camera is slightly annoying, I had a few instances where I could not see what I was attacking.

Classic mode like @Alex W. said works well when you just want to get through an area of regular enemies but I’ll prefer normal mode.

2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Normal is fine, yes it plays like an action RPG but you press x to pause combat to think tactics. The camera is slightly annoying, I had a few instances where I could not see what I was attacking.

It’s fine, yeah. Absolutely not what I wanted though, so I’ll skip it. Saves me ploughing through and moaning about it all the time. 

I finished it moments ago and...hmmmm, trouble is I just feel like I'm really bad at it? Like, not in control at all? No matter how hard I tried to pre-empt attacks, dodge them, react accordingly, it just doesn't feel like I'm doing anything but frenzied button mashing and 'oh, best heal again?' etc. Cloud feels pretty sluggish to me and forget Punisher mode, that basically puts you in invisible treacle. The guy I saw playing on Twitch managed mostly to move out the way of things and block at the correct times, but I was purely relying on sheer persistence and almost all of my potions.

The battle near the end with two Shock Troopers and Sentry Rays had to be the low point with the camera flying around tight confines, switching to Barret to attempt to deal with the rays, whilst everything's barely visible and smashing at me. Messages, flashes, numbers, sparks, enemies, menus, aaargh... I can't imagine what it's like with three characters and dozens upon dozens of abilities/magics for each.

Sorry for the moan! I might pick it up later on one day. I'm definitely way more of a Fromsoft person when it comes to 3rd person melee action.

Quite enjoyed the demo, though I didn't manage to finish it as I used all my Phoenix feathers and died. I was really confused about why some times I was able to heal and some times I couldn't because I didnt notice items used up the green super meter too. Took too long to realise the Scorpion had to be shot up the anus as well (the camera was really awkward during much of that battle? Not that it mattered hugely).

I think I'll enjoy it more once the combat clicks. Sometimes I was able to launch baddies into the air, jump up with them like Bayonetta and slash em up but I could figure out if I was making that happen with a command or if it was just automatic. Could be really satisfying to pile on staggering attacks and pummel some fools with Limit Breaks when they're dizzy.

I also always appreciate being able to slide down ladders in videogames. Good.

Yeah, it's fine. Not a fan of constantly using potions, I thought they might have come up with something a bit better for this. Camera was a bit annoying too sometimes and the boss battle never ended.

Still enjoyed it a lot though, won't be getting for a while yet, maybe.