Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

28 minutes ago, Profgoten said:

Working until 7pm :( just under 2 and half hours to go then about an hour 20 to get home...... Looks like I'm playing tomorrow evening xD

Can you set the download going remotely so its ready when you get home? Can be done through the website or phone app

51 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I read about the demo that if you change your system language to Japanese then you should get the Japanese voices

Yeah, ENB explained at the end that he switched it. I thought it might be a built in audio option like Sekiro, but not for the demo. It hopefully will be in the final product.

This is... hmm. Story wise it is exactly what I expected: pretty sub-standard 1990s anime writing and acting which retains a lot of the text of FF7 but almost none of the mood or texture. Purposeful “this is FF7, but not the one you remember” vibes from the opening cinematic. I do like that they set up very early on the character arcs for Barrett and Cloud, where one’s going to learn to chill the fuck out and the other is going to stop being so aloof. I didn’t expect them to lean so hard in to Barrett being a ranting hothead, given that they could’ve played it cool instead, so that’s fun.

As an opening of a game it’s fucking atrocious. You’re just kind of told what each of the buttons does and given a terse overview of a couple of mechanics and left to drown while multiple different kinds of enemies pound on you. I’ll be running through the demo again on classic mode and maybe that’ll be better.

So many invisible walls in trivial places. The first railing you see has a man-sized gap that seems like it should go somewhere but doesn’t. How hard would it have been to close the hole?

Cloud and Barrett yell at each other directly behind a guard who doesn’t hear them until he’s shot at. Someone has a tonne of concrete fall on their ankle and walks it off. Lots of weird game logic that doesn’t work as well when your characters aren’t low-poly chibis.

2 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Oh god they really went full Kirk Lazarus with Barrett didn't they.

Yeah, Barrett is fucking awful. I haven't been this grateful for a demo in a long time. This game is not for me. Odd, I loved XV, but this left me cold. 

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

Nostalgia is obviously playing a massive part here, but I bloody adore it already. Roll on April 10th.

This, took right back to days of Resi, MGS, Mario 64, Tomb Raider - the birth of modern gaming. 

Ha, Barrett does the battle victory fanfare after certain battles. :) I think FFXV did that at times as well?

Also, Classic mode is interesting - it more-or-less has the characters attack and guard without you pressing a button, and you can interject with ATB actions. I think I heard that these automatic attacks were supposed to be a little weaker, but the characters seem pretty capable on their own!

Easy mode just seems to weaken the enemies / strengthen your attacks. Worth a try if you're struggling!

11 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

This is utterly outstanding and pretty much what  I’d always hoped it would be, the few negative takes here don’t surprise we one bit with this place. 

Kev, why even come to "this place" if you're not open to alternative takes and opinions? 

1 minute ago, Qazimod said:

Ha, Barrett does the battle victory melody after certain battles. :) I think FFXV did that at times as well?

It did, and it did tickle me when Barrett did it. Shame everything else about him in this remake is pure cringe. 

I enjoyed it. The music is outstanding and it all looks rather lovely. The combat grew on me and by the last battle I really started to appreciate why they went with this battle system. 

The thought of playing through Midgar and then having to wait years for the next part is a strange one though. I could be in my 50’s by the time I see the end credits!

Yeah really loved that.  Thought the boss was pretty tricky as well and I used a fair few potions and cures but I am pretty sure I do the same in the original.  Looks amazing all the time and incredible in some places on the Pro - also smooth as butter with only the odd graphical oddity (blurred out of focus faces in the cut scenes) and the lip sync seems to be bang on.

I also think if this demo ever gets pulled I would spent £50 on the full game just to listen to the title music. 

Spoiler

Many years ago I used to leave my PS1 on whilst going to sleep listening to it and I don't care what the Mr's says this will be no different :wub::lol:

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

Kev, why even come to "this place" if you're not open to alternative takes and opinions? 

It did, and it did tickle me when Barrett did it. Shame everything else about him in this remake is pure cringe. 

TBH, I genuinely don’t know. Kinda force of habit. 
Not to scrape my violin, but I was utterly buzzing off this demo, was like literal magic before my eyes, and plays like it too, but I have no-one to talk to about it.
My FF7 rememberIng friends don’t care about it and coming here just hoping people are enjoying it as much as I do just isn’t the case and a total buzz kill. 

I mean, people can have opinions and that’s all fine and good but I just feel out of step with a lot of it. 

I spent a good few years working in various games studios, and you could not discuss why you liked something, express why you enjoy something so much and have an emotional reaction to it.
Everything is a critique in the games industry and nothing is ever appraised for being good. Always a negative critique. Which is why I left, or part of it. 

Anyways! This demo is rad, aye. 

Played the demo on normal about an hour in length, it looks stunning & the music is :wub:

The boss fight is tough, disappointed with classic mode if I’m honest it’s like your playing the game on auto mode. Really wanted the same control as the original.

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

TBH, I genuinely don’t know. Kinda force of habit. 
Not to scrape my violin, but I was utterly buzzing off this demo, was like literal magic before my eyes, and plays like it too, but I have no-one to talk to about it.
My FF7 rememberIng friends don’t care about it and coming here just hoping people are enjoying it as much as I do just isn’t the case and a total buzz kill. 

I mean, people can have opinions and that’s all fine and good but I just feel out of step with a lot of it. 

I spent a good few years working in various games studios, and you could not discuss why you liked something, express why you enjoy something so much and have an emotional reaction to it.
Everything is a critique in the games industry and nothing is ever appraised for being good. Always a negative critique. Which is why I left, or part of it. 

Anyways! This demo is rad, aye. 

Mate, you can talk to me all day long about FF7. I too was buzzing after the demo. Don’t listen to the negative nigels on here. As long as you enjoy it then who cares what anyone else thinks. 

if you can’t enjoy this, then you have no soul. 

11 minutes ago, gospvg said:

The boss fight is tough, disappointed with classic mode if I’m honest it’s like your playing the game on auto mode

It does feel a lot like letting the game play itself - I thought the idea of classic mode would be that AI attacks do barely anything but your ATB actions significantly hurt enemies... but those AI attacks were taking out smaller enemies on their own :D 

Really enjoyed this, the battle stuff works great and almost makes it feel like a Zelda turning it into an action RPG instead. Now this is probably a muscle memory type of thing but the music despite being basically a remix just didn’t have the same impact as the original. A bit like when you play star fox 64 3DS or the twin snakes. The lines are the same but because they are said slightly differently they’re not as good.

Graphically it’s really nice too but there isn’t anything here that’s mind blowing which makes it all the more puzzling why Square for years and years said a remake will never happen because they felt it’d take years or just not possible to make 3D graphics.

Id love to see a remake of FF7 which was the original game but where they just make the backgrounds high resolution (possibly using assets from this game) just because the two versions could easily stand side by side and it’d be an interesting take after this.

But a great demo and I’m keen to see how the full game fairs.

7 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Mate, you can talk to me all day long about FF7. I too was buzzing after the demo. Don’t listen to the negative nigels on here. As long as you enjoy it then who cares what anyone else thinks. 

if you can’t enjoy this, then you have no soul. 

Aye man! That’s a good thing to remember, and I appreciate it. It doesn’t matter what others think and people can have wildly different opinions. 

I am absolutely loving it, and finished the demo, it took about that long to really get with the combat system. Abilities short cut on L1 works good!