Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Yeah there are I haven’t tried Classic yet, is that traditional turn based?

I'd like to think so but I've not played it yet :(

Via Square website

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/final-fantasy-vii-remake-classic-mode

FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE’s standard combat modes - which see you attacking, dodging and blocking in real-time to charge up the ATB bar and initiate a special action.

In Classic Mode, characters fight automatically, so the player can instead focus on selecting commands. It essentially turns the game into a classic menu-based RPG!

On 15/01/2020 at 15:01, Qazimod said:

I think it accommodates all players -  among the screenshots I posted in November, there's one showing options for "Classic", "Easy" and "Normal" combat. "Classic" is the "turn-based" mode, but in reality it sounds like it's going to be a more automated Normal mode. In Normal mode you perform attacks in real-time to build up a gauge for an ATB action, and Classic mode has the characters doing the real-time attacks by themselves.

I want to try both, as they probably intend for players to use normal mode so I’m keen to see how that works out!

6 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

RPG line dancing, I'll try it tomorrow and let you all know!

Tomorrow? Nah I'll be playing it this evening when I get in from work.

The visuals and audio are so, so, so polished.

Really loved the feeling of the battles, remember to go into Settings and customise your battle shortcuts.

I switched it off after about 5mins of gameplay, I want this to be fresh for the full release.

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Oh god, somebody please try the Classic mode and tell me it's just like the original. Please!

I don’t think it’s that good. In the normal mode you have to attack with square to build up the atb bar and use other abilities, magic and items. I assume classic probably just automates the square attacks so you’re only entering commands when the bar is full.

18 minutes ago, Broker said:

I don’t think it’s that good. In the normal mode you have to attack with square to build up the atb bar and use other abilities, magic and items. I assume classic probably just automates the square attacks so you’re only entering commands when the bar is full.

Gutting.  So not really a classic mode, then?  That's a real shame.

14 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Gutting.  So not really a classic mode, then?  That's a real shame.

Broker said "I assume classic probably just automates the square attacks so you’re only entering commands when the bar is full."

Assumed!

Ok, I've just had 10 mins with it on my lunch break, and i'm really really impressed. Definitely had something in my eye when the intro was playing out. 

Had a quick dabble with the combat, and even with my brief encounter i can see that its much better than the combat in FF15. It seems like such a perfect blend of real time action and active time battle. I absolutely love the slow motion mode where you select either a flashy move or a spell. Makes it feel a lot like the original. It basically feels like Devil may Cry x FF7. which can only be a good thing in my eyes.

I cannot wait to finish work today, and spend some quality time with it.

5 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

I was all excited about getting the shits and seeing this appear after I called in sick but I've literally been on the bog most of the day, not even started it :(

SHHHHHIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTSSSSS

RSgCC1M.jpg

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Broker said "I assume classic probably just automates the square attacks so you’re only entering commands when the bar is full."

Assumed!

Sadly though, that is the case. Classic just lets you select commands and the battle difficulty is set to the same as easy, so its a bit of just watch the stuff play out. Normal attacks, evades and defending are all automatic.

And then my game crashed on only the third battle so I'm trying again on normal!

I've just played through on Normal difficulty and it's pretty fun. I thought that the real-time and ATB stuff might get overwhelming but it's a fun juggling act as you jump between Cloud and Barrett and set one of them up to do one thing while you engage in real-time combat with the other character. The demo's quite generous with potions and the cure ability so you can get out of most scrapes, and the stagger gauge is a fun extra system against stronger enemies.

Oh, and it looks fantastic. I'm only playing on a regular fat PS4 but the recreation of the reactor is excellent, and the characters are great. If there's one thing I could pick on, it's pretty much the same comment @Stanley made about the screen being busy. I was able to acclimatise to it pretty quickly but you have to keep an eye on the AI people a bit and I'd have liked a more obvious effect or something to let me know when the AI character has an ATB action ready. Otherwise, it's a good start.

EDIT: also DEM TUNES. I heard some of the stuff in leaks but they've nailed the themes that matter.

46 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Oh! enthuasim only slightly tempered 1 hour to go till I finish work!

Working until 7pm :( just under 2 and half hours to go then about an hour 20 to get home...... Looks like I'm playing tomorrow evening xD

33 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I've just played through on Normal difficulty and it's pretty fun. I thought that the real-time and ATB stuff might get overwhelming but it's a fun juggling act as you jump between Cloud and Barrett and set one of them up do do one thing while you engage in real-time combat with the other character. The demo's quite generous with potions and the cure ability so you can get out of most scrapes, and the stagger gauge is a fun extra system against stronger enemies.

Oh, and it looks fantastic. I'm only playing on a regular fat PS4 but the recreation of the reactor is excellent, and the characters are great. If there's one thing I could pick on, it's pretty much the same comment @Stanley made about the screen being busy. I was able to acclimatise to it pretty quickly but you have to keep an eye on the AI people a bit and I'd have liked a more obvious effect or something to let me know when the AI character has an ATB action ready. Otherwise, it's a good start.

EDIT: also DEM TUNES. I heard some of the stuff in leaks but they've nailed the themes that matter.

I'd completely echo this. I didn't really miss it being turn based as much as I thought I would. The combat was pretty fun and activating abilities and the like comes naturally after a bit.

3 minutes ago, Profgoten said:

Working until 7pm :( just under 2 and half hours to go then about an hour 20 to get home...... Looks like I'm playing tomorrow evening xD

Is someone at home get them to download it for you? I texted my kid so when he finished school he could kick off the download. Should be done when I get home.

I'll also be playing tomorrow evening again & probably the rest of the week.

<insert your favourite giphy excited gif>

2 minutes ago, Number 28 said:

I'm currently watching ENB play this on Twitch and he has Japanese voice acting. I wasn't aware it was an option. It's so much better and gives it an appropriate Akira vibe, which coincidentally the English dub feels like to me. :ph34r:

I read about the demo that if you change your system language to Japanese then you should get the Japanese voices

Just finished the demo. I loved it. It’s everything I could have hoped for really. The only downside is it won’t be the complete game but I can’t wait to explore an expanded Midgar. 

The graphics and performance are incredible too. Im playing on a slim connected to an OLED and it was gorgeous.