Final Fantasy VII Remake

As someone who didn't really jive with the original game back in the day and who actually returned it for a refund, I have to say that looks amazing and it may be time to give it another try.

I'm not much of a FF fan but I did play the much hated 13 with my then 10 year old son and he loved it, and due to that and watching him get sucked in, so did I. Good times

So yeah, basically a day one from me.

• Upvote 8

I like the look of it, including the combat, but man, the sounds are a letdown. Some stilted voice acting, and disappointing that the music we've heard so far is mostly generic orchestras. None of the distinctive synthy-rock weirdness of the original; and whether that quirkiness was the result of working with the limitations of the PS1, it's just a bit depressing to have all those tunes sounding like they've had the melodies edged out in favour of Marvel-movie-ish orchestral bombast.

• Upvote 1

Cloud gets turned into a frog and his buster sword shrinks with him.

Game of the millennium.

Im joking of course. This is never going to be as good as the original,  but it looks like it’s turning into a pretty decent reimagining.

Im back on board the hype train.

• Upvote 2

Production quality looks spectacular, but that's some generic-looking gameplay and dire writing / voice acting. Barret in particular, jeez. :huh:

Transform magic and at least two summons (Ifrit / Shiva) in Midgar - they're definitely condensing the original's mechanics into one area. I expect Knights of the Round will be DLC at some point.

What was that parachute section supposed to be?

Visually it looks amazing, although there only seems to be a few seconds of gameplay buried in all the cutscenes.

Voice-acting is terrible. Barret sounds like a racist caricature of an angry black man. I hope there's an option to play in Japanese.

And it's fucking "AeriS"!

• Upvote 3

They voice acting is terrible, but I feel it's in the line with the goofy, hammy original dialogue. Had they blanded it out to some naturalistic aesthetic or, worse, gone for serious military shooter gruff bollocks, I would have been much more disappointed. At least this has some personality - albeit an extremely broad one. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Qazimod said:

That wasn't the voice I expected from Reno - although I did skip a lot of the spin-offs... Also, holo-President?

I imagine its there here to give a visual element to him talking to them through air buster.

6 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

What was that parachute section supposed to be?

A more ore logical alternative to their big long zip line.

47 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Visually it looks amazing, although there only seems to be a few seconds of gameplay buried in all the cutscenes.

Voice-acting is terrible. Barret sounds like a racist caricature of an angry black man. I hope there's an option to play in Japanese.

And it's fucking "AeriS"!

It always has been, her name was changed for the western release.

44 minutes ago, dug said:

It looks spectacular but I have the feeling it's going to consist of set piece after set piece, with very little in the way of exploration. We'll see though. I'm still very much in.

Well tbf that was the majority of these games anyway, I'm playing through IX at the moment, have played around 30 hours but the vast majority of that has been plot with a few small environments that lead you to the next element of plot anyway. People do seem to have this view of Final Fantasy games being this massive open world when in reality the games, XII and XV aside, use alot of smoke and mirrors to give you the feeling of freedom.

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The explorable world was my favourite bit.

There's plenty of modern games that do the linear, but open with side stuff thing.

Oh me too, when they open up you feel more involved in what's happening. All I'm saying is that for the first 20/30 hours of most Final Fantasy games you're extremely limited as to what you can do.

• Upvote 1

None of that is true though, like I literally played FFIX this year, and completed the whole game in 30 hours. In the first 20 hours I traipsed across continents, gained Chocobos that could swim and climb mountains and and airship that could fly.

You're being just as historically revisionist as you're accusing people of being.

26 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

None of that is true though, like I literally played FFIX this year, and completed the whole game in 30 hours. In the first 20 hours I traipsed across continents, gained Chocobos that could swim and climb mountains and and airship that could fly.

You're being just as historically revisionist as you're accusing people of being.

I don't think I am, this game, as we know, is set in Midgar prior to you leaving, there'll be elements of the slums that you can visit, but those sections were, in the original, two or three screens each, with not alot of side content in there. There's the odd thing you can seek/drag out like the stuff involving Don Corner but alot of it is pointing you in the direction of advancing the plot. It's been a while since I've playe VII but I seem to recall the first time there's an option to go somewhere else is visiting Fort Condor en route to Cosmo Canyon.

Besides, they're not going to show us alot of that stuff (though they did show mini games from the section where Clouds trying to gather the items for his disguise) until close to release in six months.

• Upvote 2
26 minutes ago, wev said:

Oh me too, when they open up you feel more involved in what's happening. All I'm saying is that for the first 20/30 hours of most Final Fantasy games you're extremely limited as to what you can do.

That's how I remembered it too. A lot of dialogue, a lot of in-engine cut-scenes. Which is all fun of course, but it's not being in control, it's pushing the story forward. Compared to other games and genres, that era of FF games did this a lot*. It wasn't until the final third or so when you'd got through most of the story that you had the freedom to go where you want, follow up on side-quests and so on. That part was a lot less hand-holdy.

*Unless you got lost of course, then you were walking from one area to another and fighting a lot. But that part wasn't much fun for me.

I wonder how they'll handle the overworld when it gets to the later sequels/episodes/whatever-they'll-probably-never-come-out. The sensible thing to do would be to stick to the original implementation but god, I bet they'll end up trying to make it a 1-1 representation of the world, give you a vehicle from the off, lift it wholesale from FF15.

1 hour ago, jonny_rat said:

I wonder how they'll handle the overworld when it gets to the later sequels/episodes/whatever-they'll-probably-never-come-out.

Badly.

The sensible thing to do would be to stick to the original implementation but god, I bet they'll end up trying to make it a 1-1 representation of the world, give you a vehicle from the off, lift it wholesale from FF15.

I doubt there will be an overworld at all, I can't see how it would fit in with the episodic nature of the release.

Looks even more stunning than the last trailer, but am I the only one who hates the voice acting?

Edit: according to previous comments I'm not alone. Garret is particularly poor, although honestly in the original game its the kind of cliched Mr T voice I'd imagined for him. The rest of the voices are so bland and generic American. Guess I've been spoiled by Xenoblade 2 which had refreshing regional accents, although they were a bit hit and miss they were a breath of fresh air.

3 hours ago, dug said:

It looks spectacular but I have the feeling it's going to consist of set piece after set piece, with very little in the way of exploration. We'll see though. I'm still very much in.

There’s not really any exploration in Midgar, just places you can stop and talk to a few people. I think the issue is that old JRPGs use a lot of obfuscation to give the impression of a larger environment. Things like world maps have fallen out of favour as graphics have advanced to look more realistic, as they break the immersion with realistic characters. But budget, time and manpower wise, we’re not remotely capable of creating a world that’s as big as the one FFVII implied, which is what I think a lot of people are imagining. Rather than developing more modern alternatives to these techniques, the industry generally either produces Disney ride experiences, where you walk through a long, pretty corridor where you can see lots of cool things but not go to them, or throws hundreds of artists at crafting a giant map then copy and paste the same mission all over it.

• Upvote 1

I was surprised on a recent revisit how simplistic the world map really is. I remembered it as an exciting expanse to explore but it's little more than a space to grind out random battles while going from hub to hub.

I hope they retain the ability to revisit locations mostly at will but I'm not as bothered about a 3d map representation as I was.

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Looks even more stunning than the last trailer, but am I the only one who hates the voice acting?

Edit: according to previous comments I'm not alone. Garret is particularly poor, although honestly in the original its the kind of clinched Mr T voice I'd imagined for him. The rest of the voices are so bland and generic American. Guess I've been spoiled by Xenoblade 2 which had refreshing regional accents, although they were a bit hit and miss they were a breath of fresh air.

I really think that British voice acting in games seems to be miles better than American. After getting used to the likes of the Souls series and Bloodborne, along with Xenoblade and Dragon Quest VIII and XI, all with voice acting ranging from good to outstanding, when I hear American voice acting now, it seems bland and wooden in comparison.

Is that just bias on my part, or does anyone agree?

• Upvote 2

As someone who's worked with a few voice acting studios both in america and UK, it depends on the studio you use. For some of them it's down to available casting talent, for others it's who's directing them. I'll admit the most consistent level of quality has been a uk studio though :)

• Upvote 1