IGNORED

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

So we are getting a butchered version of the game. WTF were they thinking no-one wanted this! Surely?

I'd bet money they ditch this after the 2nd episode does not sell.

5 hours ago, Broker said:

I’m very excited, but how long is this game going to be? If it’s two discs worth of Midgar who long does it take to complete? How much will it cost? When’s the next part?

I think the how much will it cost is a fairly important thing here seeing as it's essentially going to be episodic.  Are we going to be charged Episodic game prices or are they going to charge full price/30 ish.    That would be insane if they did. 

3 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I bet full price

Hmm.  Fingers crossed it's not.  I never clicked with the game originally.  I'm playing through it on Switch at the moment but sheeesh.  I won't be paying full price for each episode. 

I mean who wou..image.png.4f1aabae766721851c125b3c220ff96b.png

oh.   right.

I don't think both of those blurays mentioned will be all midgar, from the squeenix conference it seemed like more than that so maybe kalm too. 

I get the feeling that the "episodes" will not involve any over world stuff at all though and you'll just teleport to each major section this episode will be about via cutscene.

Looked a lot better from the new footage shown but I'd still rather they hadn't gone quite so crazy on the remastering.

34 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I think the how much will it cost is a fairly important thing here seeing as it's essentially going to be episodic.  Are we going to be charged Episodic game prices or are they going to charge full price/30 ish.    That would be insane if they did. 

I can’t see the later episodes getting any smaller or cheaper to make, unless the entire episodic game is now going from reactor to reactor each episode in Midgar as I assumed when I first started playing the original version. 

It’s coming for your HDD, your bank account and the mental health of everyone at Squeenix.

I think anyone trying to glean insights in to this by referring back to the story and structure of the original game is going to drive them self crazy. You will not be able to intuit anything from what stage of FF7 gave you the first summon materia. I am very confident this will be much closer to a reboot than a straight remake.

Yeah, this looks like it's become a collection of full price games more than a collection of 'episodes'. Probably spanning multiple generations at this rate!

If they're treating every little encounter and boss fight as some epic OTT-anime action cinematic event like with the scorpion encounter, then it's no wonder the project has ballooned out of control.

The boss fight demo just looks tedious, sadly. Chip-chip-chip away before you can do anything interesting or tactical, thereby making each attack seem weak and pathetic? Meh.

Midgar has never looked better, admittedly, and as a place you want to explore, it's a pretty damned good 'hook'. I love the look of it, and the scale is immense. So, beyond Midgar, the draw for the sequel would have to be its open world (of mostly plains, forests and smaller towns). But then would you never return to Midgar like you do in the original? Would multiple games feature the same world map?

This projects seems insane from the outset, yet apparently somebody thought it was a good idea so, who knows, maybe it'll turn out alright? :blink:

I'm the biggest FF7 whore there is but even I would feel disgusting paying £180+ for a remake of my favourite game.  Of course I'm gonna pre-order this one but if it's only just Midgar spread across two discs then Square Enix can go fuck themselves.

I feel so torn. I adore FF7, but Square are trying their hardest to rip my heart into tiny little shreds.

Dont get me wrong, i am feeling quite optimistic, after the latest trailer, but its going to be a long time to until you finally face Sephiroth.... maybe PS7 launch title?

I have no issue paying the money (assuming the quality is there). What does bother me is we are almost certainly going to end up in a Shenmue situation, where a multipart game is promised, and then the plug is pulled after part 2 because sales. It's a catch 22.

Yeah there’s no way this is ever getting finished. Even if I’m up for paying £60 every five years for something that won’t finish until I’m in my fifties, I can’t imagine enough people being willing to pay for this to keep it going.

25 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Square have totally lost the point of what fans wanted, we do not what a three-part £180 game.

Thats optimistic. This first “game” is less than half of the first disc. You’re looking at 6-8 £60 parts easily, it could end up costing you £500.

What's interesting to me is that if this had a completely different name and we had no memory of FFVII, it would be perceived as a standard 20-30 hour experience for the cost of a standard full-price game, rather than a fraction of a full game sold at full price. Would newer gamers without that preconception have a better time?

Another weird thing is that in the time that passes between "episodes" there will probably be new engines and assets, new hardware platforms, and possibly new staff, or changes to the organisation at Square. Could they maintain consistency between updates, and at the same time stay on top of technology trends and shifts in culture?

They did state on announcement that this would be very much a modern reworking so I suppose there was plenty of warning! It's looking pretty astonishing in the production value stakes so I'm up for a full price FFVII chapter every 12-36 months if they're hitting that level of quality and covering all the major story beats (Assuming it's as good to play as it looks too). 

How the hell Cait Sith fits into all this I'd love to see!

6 minutes ago, Ran said:

They did state on announcement that this would be very much a modern reworking so I suppose there was plenty of warning! It's looking pretty astonishing in the production value stakes so I'm up for a full price FFVII chapter every 12-36 months if they're hitting that level of quality and covering all the major story beats (Assuming it's as good to play as it looks too). 

How the hell Cait Sith fits into all this I'd love to see!

A commitment to release every year I could possibly live with. But it's taken 4 years to get it to here. Using an existing engine, and a storyline and dialogue and music that is already written.  I have no confidence at all that they would release part two within 5 years.

Just now, PeteBrant said:

A commitment to release every year I could possibly live with. But it's taken 4 years to get it to here. Using an existing engine, and a storyline that is already written.  I have no confidence at all that they would release part two within 5 years.

The engine was existing for sure but they would have been reworking it to be structured for this release (combat system / materia / ATB etc) and they've effectively restarted development after taking it in house too. 12 months is probably a stupidly optimistic assessment I agree but there should be a great deal more generating content and slotting it together from this point on. If they're organised and have a solid plan for the whole saga I don't think a second part releasing in another 2 years is insane. (Not that I am supremely confident of it either)

If it meets their expectations I think they'll throw the kitchen sink at it to turnaround the rest of the content and release in a timely fashion, the issue being their sales targets are probably eye-wateringly impossible.

Honestly considering how much old RPG's relied on abstraction to make their worlds seem big the idea that something like Midgar is big enough to become its own game when fully fleshed out doesn't seem that farfetched to me. The original game didn't let you explore very much of Midgar, it just felt bigger than it actually was. In the context of aiming for a full remake they are foolish for going ahead with this expansion but I guess they wanted Midgar to be an actual metropolis now as opposed to just posing as one.

There's no video game company on earth big enough to completely remake final fantasy 7 as one game in modern AAA standards while fleshing out all of its abstraction. Turning the world map into a to-scale open world will actually be ridiculous if they go ahead with it.

In design terms remaking FF7 in the way many wish for is, if you would pardon the pun, a fantasy. It'd have to make some smart cuts which sadly square can't do because they have the expectation of always needing to be on the cutting edge of video game technology, a hole they unfortunately dug for themselves back on the PS1.

Is there any indication that this version of Midgar is actually explorable (open or otherwise)?

'Cos it's only gonna be corridors and cutscenes, surely?

EDIT: I mean, even that would require more detail than the original's flat background plates (being able to see the skyline and surrounding areas from any location, even if it is smoke and mirrors, is a lot of work to build). But no way will this be a fully fleshed out megacity.