Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

It's also incredibly cool that even the music in the game is designed around subverting your expectations along with everything else. This guy does a great breakdown of one of the best tracks in the remake:

Spoiler

Not your typical reaction video: he really gets into the meat of the tracks. I like his channel in general.

I'm going to dive into the Intermission DLC tonight I think.

I actually played through the whole game on Easy so have probably missed out on some of the battle system nuisance people have been talking about, but I honestly just enjoyed tearing through everything and bosses not requiring restarts just kept the pace up all through it. 

I don't think it's that padded out either particularly, as there's a lot of variety in the sections, and the side quests all together only really add a few more hours into the game length. Train bit was the only one I thought dragged - just like the original, and probably the most boring looking bit too which doesn't help.

Mm, Intermission is worthwhile if you enjoyed the gameplay of Remake - I liked the new combat dynamic (and the awesome animation/fluidity of the various attacks :wub: ) and generally it's just got some great music and animation and attention to detail. Personally I completed it pretty quickly but there's a lot of optional things to get into so YMMV. (Also, the story will make reference to some wider Compilation stuff, but you don't need to sweat the details too much.)

14 hours ago, Benny said:

One thing this game does do expertly well, is it uses the power of nostalgia to actually do interesting and quite poetic at times things with your prior knowledge and emotional attachment. Which happens in my favourite overall moment in the entire game:

Hide contents

It's a very small moment as well, almost unremarkable and mysterious if you didn't know what was going on. When Cloud meets up again with Aerith after leaving her house.

Hide contents

She catches up with him and jokes that she's not bored of him yet, before skipping off ahead. Cloud has another headache, and then just a few bars of the music from The Forgotten City from the original game plays. Anyone who has played and was intimate with FF7 and loved it will, with those few musical notes, be instantly transported to their own past playing the game and the events that happened in the story in their own mind. That's how powerful the score for the original was and the power of music is doing all the work transporting your mind back.

And, in the first real display of emotion we've seen from him so far, Cloud visibly weeps slightly. As if mirroring the effect this might have on the player at this point and to signal what it might mean to already know these things going forward and the tragedy of that.

It's an amazing twist, genuinely emotional, and it lasts mere seconds. But it's brilliant.

Got a bit of a lump in my throat too.

It's the exact opposite of the "hey, 'member this" stuff that has strip mined all joy from various film franchises over the years, and actually does something with its legacy in a genuinely heartfelt way that recognises the past. It's just like a warm embrace of acknowledgement rather than a plea for attention.

I love how Tim Rogers put it; the Remake in the title isn't a noun, it's a verb.

It's an Edge 7/10 that I disagree with more than usual.

Spoiler

If anything it's the legendary 6/10 that we all know is where the truly genius games lie

I started the Intermission DLC last night:

Spoiler

I was not expecting such a comprehensive remake of a certain minigame!

I wish it wasn't so bloody expensive on the PC. I know I spend fucking stupid amounts of money on this sort of thing, but I still can't bring myself to fork out £50+ on one game.

Of course, this ends up with me spending well over that amount on more games that I'll never play, but there we go :(

If it helps, I felt I definitely got my money's worth at full price*

Spoiler

*£30 after applying a voucher in an Epic Store sale, but still!

More about the DLC:

Spoiler

The music continues to be the most amazing thing about it. The crazy developing Jazz track in the first main "dungeon" is brilliant.

I don't normally watch other people's playthroughs/reactions to games on Twitch or YouTube or wherever, but I did skip through some of Maximillian Dood's videos of FF7: the excitement and happiness in them is really infectious.

Spoiler

It was also really quite heart-warming to see him get a bit choked up at the exact same bit I mentioned was my favourite in the thread earlier.

Honestly, if you're going to watch FFVII streams you could do a lot worse than Maximilian. He might be a bit "excitable shouty Youtuber" for some, but he doesn't hide his enthusiasm for the game. :wub: 

Spoiler

If Rebirth isn't planned to come to PC any time soon after the PS5 version it may end up being the final magic 3rd "exclusive" game that is out for PS5 that would justify my purchase of one.

What I'm wondering though is if you're going to be able to carry over your Materia and levels if you have both games on the same format. There were also a few moments with dialogue options with Cloud where it made me wonder if that was just for flavour or if it was setting up the whole Gold Saucer moment with them for much, much later... I hope so, because Barret :lol:

32 minutes ago, Benny said:
  Hide contents

What I'm wondering though is if you're going to be able to carry over your Materia and levels if you have both games on the same format. There were also a few moments with dialogue options with Cloud where it made me wonder if that was just for flavour or if it was setting up the whole Gold Saucer moment with them for much, much later... I hope so, because Barret :lol:

Spoiler

I think being able to carry that stuff over would be fun, but it might end up with certain players getting screwed over? Obviously the game assumes you've played Remake first - where's the sense in starting with Rebirth - but what if you've played Remake and sold the game and don't have your old save, or something?

Persona 5 Royal does something where it checks your storage for a save from vanilla P5, and if you have one then you get a handful of consumables added to your inventory from the beginning... I could see something like that being used as a fun reward for loyal players. On the other hand, Remake did implement a few materia-based things that were barely used - there's a total of about four Enemy Skill abilities in the whole game - so maybe that was groundwork being prepared...?

Also, about the Gold Saucer - Remake kind of already did a variable sequence similar to the date where

Spoiler

one moment was a special "affinity" scene that had a different character in it based on your dialogue options. You wouldn't know if you had only played it once (hence my spoiler), but the scene in question is

Spoiler

where Cloud sneaks out of Aerith's house to talk with one of the party members outside.

Maybe influencing the Gold Saucer date - and participating in the date itself - will be done entirely within one of the next games in the trilogy?

Spoiler

Yeah I don't expect they will do anything with old saves as it's probably too much of a faff for little reward but for a select few.

Mass Effect 2 did a pretty good job of onboarding new players with the comic I seem to remember in the PS3 version, but even that probably isn't much point for this game, and it made much more sense in that context.

12 hours ago, Benny said:

I don't normally watch other people's playthroughs/reactions to games on Twitch or YouTube or wherever, but I did skip through some of Maximillian Dood's videos of FF7: the excitement and happiness in them is really infectious.

Hide contents

It was also really quite heart-warming to see him get a bit choked up at the exact same bit I mentioned was my favourite in the thread earlier.

He's brilliant..pure passion for games. I love his series where he fights fighting game bosses on the hardest difficultly they are epic. 

The music continues to be the most amazing thing about it. The crazy developing Jazz track in the first main "dungeon" is brilliant.

Agreed, then culminates in an absolutely epic banger when you fight the mini-boss, which incorporates all the jazz parts from earlier. FFVII Remake and Intermission might be my favourite music in any game, at least in terms of matching the action and setting the mood. There's so many standout tracks and the way the tracks dynamically build up whilst modernising the old classics is amazingly done. 

11 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Does the DLC ease you in gently or does it assume you’ve come fresh off the main game? Just got the DLC on sale but I’ve not played the main game since release.

It will assume that you already know your way around materia and equipment menus and the upgrade tree and so on, but it gives tutorials on Yuffie's more unique abilities as well as other completely new mechanics that get introduced later. Generally it's pretty easy to get back into.

• 1 month later...

My partner has decided out of the blue to start a replay of this and it's amazing how much Square learned from FF7 and implemented in the remake but didn't learn for any other game especially in regards to fast paced introductions that just drop you into the game while drip feeding relevant information as you go.

Compared to the massive lore dumps in other games post FF7.

I am about 15 hours into this. I love the actual remake bits but my god, there is an insane amount of filler isn't there?

It feels like the whole game should have been around 20 hours.

It needed an editor.