Final Fantasy VII Remake

Keyboard Koala

On 15/06/2021 at 23:44, PeteBrant said:

If you buy the disc PS4 version the upgrade is free . Minus the Yuffie dlc

Oh... I thought the Yuffie DLC was included. Do you know what hoops you need to jump through, post-PS5-upgrade, to get the Yuffie chapters?

12 minutes ago, tnman said:

Oh... I thought the Yuffie DLC was included. Do you know what hoops you need to jump through, post-PS5-upgrade, to get the Yuffie chapters?

I’m guessing it’ll just be a case of buying them the same as DLC.

Really impressed with the PS5 upgrade, looks and plays amazing running 60fps, to the point I’ve restarted the game from the beginning with 25hrs on the clock.

Couldn't resist jumping back in, picking up a used PS4 copy and buying the Yuffie DLC separately.

Disappointed to learn that my platinum save has been lost to my old PS4/the cloud - I take it none of the materia etc. transfers over to Yuffie anyway? Would I be able to download a complete save from somewhere if I did want to go back to the combat sim in the main game?

2 hours ago, Crhis said:

Couldn't resist jumping back in, picking up a used PS4 copy and buying the Yuffie DLC separately.

Disappointed to learn that my platinum save has been lost to my old PS4/the cloud - I take it none of the materia etc. transfers over to Yuffie anyway? Would I be able to download a complete save from somewhere if I did want to go back to the combat sim in the main game?

If you downloaded the PS4 version onto the PS5, would you have access to a cloud save?

1 hour ago, Parappa said:

I'm going to assume the ps plus version is just the barebones ps4 version and even running it on PS5 won't get me the new visuals etc? 

Correct. You don't even have the option to upgrade it. 

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

If you downloaded the PS4 version onto the PS5, would you have access to a cloud save?

No, unfortunately not - it’s not showing as synced on PS Plus cloud saves at all and I sold my old system when I upgraded to a PS5.

1 hour ago, Crhis said:

No, unfortunately not - it’s not showing as synced on PS Plus cloud saves at all and I sold my old system when I upgraded to a PS5.

Oh well. It makes no difference for the DLC at least.

• 4 weeks later...

Started playing this yesterday, about a hour in and facing a wrath dog enemy with another party member and NOTHING seems to be damaging it. I did an ASSESS on it which basically said 'Errrr, SOME attacks may work? It's weak against ice!'. I've tried every attack between the two characters, nothing. I also have a level 2 ice spell (blizzera) and that takes off about 2%. What am I doing wrong here?

@Capwn I’m not sure what enemy that is, but if it’s weak to ice, use that to fill the stagger gauge - once filled, all other attacks will deal bundles of damage. 

If you need to check an enemy weakness you only need to waste a turn doing analyse once - after that you can refer to the analysis screen by pressing (I think) the touch pad at any time. 

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

Started playing this yesterday, about a hour in and facing a wrath dog enemy with another party member and NOTHING seems to be damaging it. I did an ASSESS on it which basically said 'Errrr, SOME attacks may work? It's weak against ice!'. I've tried every attack between the two characters, nothing. I also have a level 2 ice spell (blizzera) and that takes off about 2%. What am I doing wrong here?

Use the second ability in your list to make it stagger quickly, then hit it with all you can

Also, iirc the ice spells are a pain as they trigger at the point the enemy was when you cast the spell. As in, if the enemy is moving about a lot then it may have moved out of the AOE of the attack when it explodes.

But I'm not sure what this 'wrath dog' enemy you're talking about is... For most of the dog type enemies that do physical attacks, just put Cloud in punisher mode and block. When he gets hit he'll auto-counterattack, for massive damage(TM)

43 minutes ago, Seamonster said:

if the enemy is moving about a lot then it may have moved out of the AOE of the attack when it explodes

This, and the way enemies can cancel your attack and rob your ATB gauge, are two things I really hope they address in the second part.  Really frustrating, particularly against flying enemies that whip about the arena freely.

Killed it, mainly just blocked and dodged. Just took forever. 

On a side note, I think it makes sense to just add health between major battles right? but I always worry I'll waste them and a 'health bench' will appear. So what I end up doing when doing multiple battles is wait until something destroys me, then restart battle, use loads of potions, cures, elixers etc and then save game (I don't think I need to save really, just over cautious) and then every time I restart I have full health etc.

Does that sound normal?

• 2 weeks later...

I finished InterMission last night and overall really enjoyed it! Yuffie starts off pretty annoying but grows into herself as the story plays out, there are some great fights in there and the end of DLC cutscene confirms some things and suggests others. It's all pretty good fun! And Fort Condor is excellent. I wonder how Yuffie will slot into the party in Remake 2? Her combat seems built to kind of do a bit of everything your party could in FF7 so I can't see how she doesn't end up being mad overpowered. 

• 4 weeks later...

Right, after pissing all over this last year, the PS5 upgrade has given me enough of an excuse to give this another shot. I'm really hoping I can learn to like it. The textures certainly look a lot nicer on PS5, and it's smooth as silk. I've also switched to Japanese subtitles, some of which don't really suit the characters (especially Barrett's), but at least I won't have to put up with the godawful English VA. I'm planning on ignoring the fetch quests this time around, too, so I don't waste any time on those.

I'll see how I get on. I'm playing on Normal for now, but what's the consensus on the Classic Vs Default battle systems? Should I just leave it as it is?

Don’t use classic. It tries to do a “turn based” system by automating the attacks that build up your ATB, but those automated attacks are good enough to make you feel like the game is playing itself at times. Despite generally enjoying the game, it’s one of the main things I criticised when we were doing the GOTY thread.

Normal difficulty is pretty well-balanced - there will be some encounters that might give you a hard time, but that’s standard for JRPGs.

Thanks both.

If you're playing on Normal, is the general idea to still switch between characters to increase their ATB gauges, or is it better to stay as Cloud and then use another character's abilities from the menu once you see that they've filled a chunk of their gauge themselves (i.e., without actually switching to that character)? I played the opening reactor last night and in the Scorpion boss fight there were a few instances where there was so much happening at once I wasn't sure what the best thing to do was. No one died, but there were a couple of close calls when the character I wasn't controlling at the time was just charging in without blocking and then getting themselves battered, which I couldn't seem to do anything about.

Sometimes you can just leave them to it, but the AI (as good as it is) is no mind-reader. If you want Barrett or Aerith to go for a flying enemy, or you want everyone attacking a particular target, it’s worth giving them a nudge in that direction. Also you may want to prioritise ATB building with a particular character if you want a certain skill (e.g. if you’re desperate for a heal), so it’s wise to switch to them. (You eventually get Time/Haste skills too, which are as invaluable as ever.)

Also - and this might sound harsh - you may have to work the AI’s recklessness into your approach. There were some boss encounters where I pretty much expected allies to get stomped and so I’d keep one ATB stock available to bring them back as soon as possible. But to me, that’s part of JRPGs :) so I don’t really see it as a “problem”.