Final Fantasy VII Remake

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I'm up to around ten hours now.

Hide contents

Currently I'm traipsing around the Sector 5 slums with AeriS (not fucking Aerith <_<).

I honestly don't think I want to keep playing. The only thing that's pulling me through at the moment is the nostalgia of seeing scenes from the original recreated. Beyond that, I really don't thing this is a very good game at all. There's just nothing to it. You walk from cutscene to cutscene so you can listen to the terrible voice acting and cringe-inducing dialogue. In between you might get to experience some entirely incongruous platforming, or, if you're lucky, the under-cooked, depthless battle system that has nothing of the original's creativity but instead plays more like a Diablo-lite: you mash square until the thing dies, using your abilities when the meter refills, rinse and repeat. That's about it, except for walking down long, boring, brown corridors. Everything is just so bloody shallow and superficial. It feels like I'm playing a (slightly) interactive version of the Advent Children film, but this is even worse.

And I know I've moaned about it already, but the graphics are really just not very good, beyond the main character models, anyway. I can't get used to the pop-in, although I could see how some could excuse it, but things like seeing 3 identical NPCs on screen at the same time, or characters frequently clipping through buildings, or goddamn Comic fucking Sans being used for some of the shop signs - all of these things are just not acceptable to me in a flagship, first-party, triple A exclusive, especially post games like TLOU 2 and God of War. It's embarrassing.

@Marlew, man, I tend to agree with you a lot of the time when it comes to games, but help me out here - what do you like so much about this?

:(

I agree with all of this.  I wanted to love this game so badly and it just left me cold. Definitely one of the biggest disappointments in gaming for me. Maybe I just hyped it up too much. 

5 hours ago, cohen205 said:

I agree with all of this.  I wanted to love this game so badly and it just left me cold. Definitely one of the biggest disappointments in gaming for me. Maybe I just hyped it up too much. 

Yeah, I've decided to leave it. Can't be arsed. Did you see it through?

As ever, my man Dunkey is here spouting some truths, and looking ahead to what they make you do later on, if I leave it now it looks like I won't be missing out on much (warning: massive spoilers):

Spoiler

What a shame. I've got it on digital so I can pick it up again on the PS5. Maybe the boost will iron out some of the technical issues. And I'll play it with the Japanese VA if I do go back to it.

Ultimately my disappointment with this game stems from two issues:

Spoiler

1. That ending. Especially when you've got an infinitely better plot twist in the form of Barret's death, which was instantly erased after it happened. Made the ending just a weird vanity move. The entire game is gearing up to such a change making me excited for it, and then you bait-and-switch it, and follow up with an ending that's a lukewarm retread of the same idea with less connection to what is happening overall? Just mind-bogglingly bad. GoT Season 8 levels of disappointment.

2. It wasn't a classic JRPG. FFVII's Materia-system still is one of the best additions to Square's ATB, so turning the entire endeavour into a weird MMO/Tales of... hybrid system? Yes, it did work and it's fun (once it allows you to actually fight some interesting battles about 60% in)... But it ain't FFVII, right? Which is kind of the point of wanting to play a Remake.

It's a nice game in itself, but it's hampered by the fact that it's nigh impossible to play just by itself. Without the IP and story attached to it, this could've been the basis for a solid mainline-FF entry instead.

Question guys, will playing this spoil the original for me?

The furthest I have ever gotten in the original game is fort condor I think it was called so I have completed the Midgar part and I fully intend to play and finish FF vii. It's just I feel like playing a more modern and action orientated game at the moment and this is on my shelf so I'm thinking of playing it but if the story progresses faster than the original and could spoil it I'm not sure if I will.

37 minutes ago, Mallet said:

Question guys, will playing this spoil the original for me?

The furthest I have ever gotten in the original game is fort condor I think it was called so I have completed the Midgar part and I fully intend to play and finish FF vii. It's just I feel like playing a more modern and action orientated game at the moment and this is on my shelf so I'm thinking of playing it but if the story progresses faster than the original and could spoil it I'm not sure if I will.

Yes but no. There are very brief "flash-forwards" occasionally interrupting cutscenes, and some references to events beyond what's covered in FFVIIR's story, but for a newcomer most of it won't mean anything without context.

It has cutscenes that show all of the important story scenes from the whole series because they can't help themselves, so kinda.

This is comical exaggeration, for info. It's simply not the case. 

I still wouldn't play it, though, over the original, because a lot of the later game stuff won't make any sense at all. It barely makes that much sense even if you know what they're doing. You basically have to know the original, know what they're doing and join several dots along the way.

A game of dazzling highs, bizarre longueurs and an excellent combat system that teaches you very poorly how to have fun with it. One of my games of the year for the peaks alone, but it's an odd fish. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally won this.

Final (ho-hum) thoughts on this; overall it turned out a pretty good game. Graphically it's impeccable, and the soundtrack is phenomenal. I think the game could've been really great with a lot less fetch quests and less repetitive setting like endless sewers, junk yards and factories. Chapter 14 was downright terrible imo. The game needed more combat as well, as the new combat system is frantically awesome once you get the hang of it. And why hide the best summons behind yet other fetch quest structure? Gimme the grind anytime.

In the end, I didn't really mind the new direction they're taking with the story, but it's all the filler, and the absence of more enemy encounters that really soured the experience at some point. I still maintain that I probably would've been happier with a game that had stuck to the source material a lot closer concerning both gameplay mechanics and story. I missed the world map and the grind. Esp. with a new and excellent battle system such as this, grinding would've been fun I reckon.

Can't wait for the sequel, providing they iron out some of the kinks that held back this game's full potential.

I haven't managed to summon up the enthusiasm to finish this over the last 6 months. I don't want to delete it from my HD despite it taking up 100GB or something, because I know if I do I'll probably never finish it. And I was excited about this for years and spent £65 quid on it. 

But I'm up to Wall Market and haven't been drawn in at all, really. Cloud is the only character with any personality, and that personality is "stroppy miserable teenager". The story is stupid - one moment they're getting executed on a sort of TV gameshow and the next they're freely wandering the city again with no one recognising them. Sub-games involving using cranes to lift crates and create a path? This was all perfectly acceptable in 1996 of course because the gameplay and presentation was so groundbreaking. But now it just seems shallow. 

I think I've been spoiled by Western RPGs like Elder Scrolls and what have you, because the world seems so constricting and the route through the game is (so far) entirely linear. Dunno if this is because JRPG fans prefer games that are really just like watching an anime with a few game elements like combat and levelling-up thrown in. I used to love them myself and have played every FF and a lot of obscure older Square stuff. But these days I like my RPGs to let me build whatever character I want and run around doing whatever I feel like. 

Additionally:

It's been a good few years since I last played through the original. But am I right in thinking that the Midgar section was a lot more of an open environment? Perhaps it was an illusion - but my memory tells me that I was relatively free, for example, to travel back to different sectors of the city and find things I'd missed, or just revisit old haunts. Obviously the section of the game had a very linear progression - you went from the first Mako reactor, to the area with Avalanche HQ , to second reactor, to Wall Market, etc. But it felt like the city was far more open to explore. Whereas in this you go from sector to sector like the chapters of a book, with no option to go anywhere else. 

Is this right or is it my memory playing tricks? Even if that's so, the original deserves credit for at least giving the illusion of freedom. 

The original locked stuff off as well, but when you had access you could do whatever the hell you want. I remember grinding materia a lot in the trainyard, that's impossible here. Obviously some areas won't be accessible after certain story beats kick in, but there was a bit more freedom in comparison to this. 

Not long before the remake was out (around Feb 20th), I replayed the original (up to where the remake reportedly ended) and it was pretty linear even then; the only "open" areas were within the confines of a set objective. You need the batteries for the plate, but you can pick them up in any order! You need the goods for the dressmaker, but you can choose which you get first!

It actually made me disappointed even before the remake came out - I didn't play the remake and expect it to be more open; I played the original and realised that there wouldn't be a whole lot to do within the moments that the remake would cover. In my mind, the more open stuff comes later.

21 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Not long before the remake was out (around Feb 20th), I replayed the original (up to where the remake reportedly ended) and it was pretty linear even then; the only "open" areas were within the confines of a set objective. You need the batteries for the plate, but you can pick them up in any order! You need the goods for the dressmaker, but you can choose which you get first!

It actually made me disappointed even before the remake came out - I didn't play the remake and expect it to be more open; I played the original and realised that there wouldn't be a whole lot to do within the moments that the remake would cover. In my mind, the more open stuff comes later.

I suppose it was right that the original was just much better at the illusion of being open, then. But yes, from what I can remember, the original opens up after you leave the city. Unless that was all just an illusion too...

Even on the world map it's not as open as it seems, at least until near the end of the game. The world is quite small and each land mass is segregated. At each point, you can basically head to the next main story location or a couple of other places off the path.

But it certainly feels a lot more open than the Midgar section, and that contrast and sense of liberation when you finally get out there was a key moment in the original which is lost in the first remake episode.