Final Fantasy VII Remake

My guess is “yes but no” - looking at where this game ended there’s very little backtracking beyond this point in the original, so that’s still a lot of work creating new locations, NPCs, dialogue, animations, sidequests, minigames, etc.

On the other hand, the nature of Remake‘s ending means that all bets are off, so maybe they’ll choose to re-use what’s already here a bit more. :lol:

So my partner has started this over again. Not sure how many runs she's done at this point. She's kind of obsessed.

Every time I'm noticing something new and this time around it's how well some of the tutorials are in this, hiding them in conversations. Like early on, rather than doing a tutorial screen on using Cloud for short range and Barrett for ranged combat it's just part of a conversation between Cloud, Barrett and Jessie.

"So much for Cloud doing all the fighting, I guess there are some places a sword can't reach!"

Been on this for the last week and finished it tonight.

After seeing the resetera posts of the guy having a breakdown at the ending I couldn’t rest until I found out what was up.

I don’t dislike the ending. If anything this direction protects the original game and I can respect that. I’m very curious to see where future parts go.

Also hopefully this new story basically means the original ending is once again ambiguous.

Spoiler

You can now decide whether or not Cloud and friends succeeded. If yes, go to advent children, if no, go to remake. 

If that’s what they’ve gone for then I dig it.

Decided to boot up the original FF7 on the switch tonight and playing it now I’m taken back a bit by how fast paced it is.

When I told my friend the remake stretches 10 minutes into an hour I didn’t realise how literal that was.

10 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

Decided to boot up the original FF7 on the switch tonight and playing it now I’m taken back a bit by how fast paced it is.

When I told my friend the remake stretches 10 minutes into an hour I didn’t realise how literal that was.

While I prefer the remake some of the bits that really drag in Remake are incredibly short in the original.

Under the plate? You're looking at close to an hour of faffing about on your first run, it's a confusing three level maze that's difficult to map.

In the original? Two screens.

The sewers, an area which takes too long to get through. Even my partner who keeps replaying remake skips large parts of the sewers in new game plus.

In the original? One screen.

Don't even get me started on The Drum.

• 3 weeks later...

I just started this up again, simply to see and hear the opening with my new headphones. Goosebumps, lump in the throat, sucked right back in. What an absolutely spectacular game. The FF7R title appearance alone is my favourite gaming moment of the year. Different games appeal to different people but I genuinely feel sorry for anyone who was shitting the bed about this game because they wanted something different. I expected nothing of it, but this is glorious excess. 

I could write a long list of things wrong with this game, but it would be pointless as I utterly loved it, and I was never a huge fan of the original. 

Game of the year for me. But I can completely understand why some people bounce off it. 

I totally agree. It's flawed in any number of ways but its high points are so spectacularly good, and so frequent, that this is one of the best experiences I've had with a game this generation. Hopefully I'll be able to play an even better version on the Series X next year. 

I'm not even finished chapter 2, and

Spoiler

this game really ISN'T just a remake of FFVII is it? I know using the word "audacious" in reference to a AAA remake of a 23 year old game seems a bit odd, but it kinda is? Everything stays the same. Everything is different.

I've got a suspicion that people would enjoy this more on their first play through if they knew what the reason for the differences (not saying anything specific here for fear of spoilers...) was in advance.

But then you'd miss out on one of the main reasons for a second play through, and disappearing down the rabbit hole of watching some of Maximilian Dood's YouTube videos after finishing it.

• 2 weeks later...

14 is probably the slowest and most padded, albeit you can skip all the side quests and crack on if you want. There are a few longueurs throughout but the pace will pick up towards the end. 

Yeah I skipped the side quests in 14 and carried on with the main quest. I like the re-Imagineering of the story and it looks gorgeous with a lovely soundtrack. Just a shame will have to wait a while to play the next game.

• 3 weeks later...

HMMMM.

I'm about five hours into this and I'm worried that I don't actually like it that much. I really enjoyed the demo when I played it at the start of the year, and re-playing that section again when you begin the game was still good. I actually quite like the battle system a lot - it's hectic but still manageable, when you're only facing a couple of enemies, at least, and the real-time/ATB system works well. The music's also still sensational, but then it was always the best thing about the original game, anyway, so they didn't need to do much there.

Most other stuff, however, I'm really not sure about.

Spoiler

Trudging around the Sector 7 slums, chasing cats and smashing boxes, wasn't exactly fun, and then the bit afterwards with the endless bloody bike section followed by the boss battle against the Devil May Cry reject - what was that? The writing and voice acting is crap, especially compared with some of the other games I've played in recent months, and the way every female character fawns over Cloud is horribly cringe-inducing, doubly do when you consider he has all the personality of a blond broom. I feel at times like I'm playing a Yakuza game that's taking itself very seriously.

Also, while I'm not one to typically have a moan about graphics in games, the pop-in and the blurry textures in this are incredibly jarring, especially for a game that's been in development for as long as this one has. It's as if the main characters are rendered in a completely different engine from anything else. I'm playing on a Pro and I've been in conversations where, even after about five seconds, the NPC who I'm talking to's face hasn't properly rendered, so they just appear as a blurry mess until their face suddenly comes into focus. The same is true of the environments - big sections of grey and brown blocks which suddenly depixellate two seconds after you've walked past them. It's disconcerting to say the least.

I'm going to keep going with it because I've got it on a download and I want to see what they've done with the sections from the original. So far, though, all of the extra stuff they've added has been disappointing. The original was my go-to GOAT for years when I was a kid, and though I played through it again last year and found out it wasn't quite as amazing as I remembered, this feels pretty sub-par by comparison, so far, anyway. I think I'm going to do the second reactor mission soon, so hopefully things will pick up again then.

59 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Skip the side quests and just play the main campaign. I gave up on the side quests they were all filler.

Yeah, I was thinking of doing this, but then I was worried about not levelling up enough to get through the main quest, seeing as the side quests seem to be the equivalent of grinding. I suppose I can always knock it down to Easy.

31 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah, I was thinking of doing this, but then I was worried about not levelling up enough to get through the main quest, seeing as the side quests seem to be the equivalent of grinding. I suppose I can always knock it down to Easy.

I tink I finished around level 30 for the final missions, couple of fights were challenging but nothing too difficult.

Yeah, you won’t find yourself underlevelled - the sidequests are just nice for extra rewards or gil to spend. Since there aren’t really “grinding” areas each zone has enough in it to keep everyone at the right level. :) 

I enjoyed it, had reservations about the combat (love my turn based) but it grew on me by the end.

Just hope the next game is out before the PS7.

I'm up to around ten hours now.

Spoiler

Currently I'm traipsing around the Sector 5 slums with AeriS (not fucking Aerith <_<).

I honestly don't think I want to keep playing. The only thing that's pulling me through at the moment is the nostalgia of seeing scenes from the original recreated. Beyond that, I really don't thing this is a very good game at all. There's just nothing to it. You walk from cutscene to cutscene so you can listen to the terrible voice acting and cringe-inducing dialogue. In between you might get to experience some entirely incongruous platforming, or, if you're lucky, the under-cooked, depthless battle system that has nothing of the original's creativity but instead plays more like a Diablo-lite: you mash square until the thing dies, using your abilities when the meter refills, rinse and repeat. That's about it, except for walking down long, boring, brown corridors. Everything is just so bloody shallow and superficial. It feels like I'm playing a (slightly) interactive version of the Advent Children film, but this is even worse.

And I know I've moaned about it already, but the graphics are really just not very good, beyond the main character models, anyway. I can't get used to the pop-in, although I could see how some could excuse it, but things like seeing 3 identical NPCs on screen at the same time, or characters frequently clipping through buildings, or goddamn Comic fucking Sans being used for some of the shop signs - all of these things are just not acceptable to me in a flagship, first-party, triple A exclusive, especially post games like TLOU 2 and God of War. It's embarrassing.

@Marlew, man, I tend to agree with you a lot of the time when it comes to games, but help me out here - what do you like so much about this?

:(