rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake - March 2020

13 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

The original scorpion boss was over in 2 minutes, tops. This one is a ten minute epic slashathon.

Do the same for every little moment in Midgar and there's your 20-30 hours! :P

Well, quite. In hindsight I shouldn't have posted numbers because people latch on to them, but I think it's too soon to assume this will be a 1:1 remake in terms of how much you'll be doing. Even if it's "only" Midgar, that doesn't mean that it won't be fleshed out in places.

From the information i have gathered, it looks like a 2 disc game, with it ending at the end of the motorcycle section and leaving Midgar. The game will be the same size as a normal numbered FF game. I can imagine a much larger Midgar, with side missions, different stories to tell. Maybe even doing little Avalanche side missions, and returning to 7th Heaven to cook meals in between missions.

They have to bring the game to todays standards, so i think looking at FF15 will give you a rough idea of how its going to turn out.... only episodic.

3 hours ago, dug said:

My guess is magic will be tied to materia, but materia won't level up. So fire materia will let you cast fire, but if you want fire lv 2, you'll need a fire lv2 materia. Which is a separate thing, rather than a levelled up lv1 one. If you get my meaning.

That's how Crisis Core did it.

59 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

From the information i have gathered, it looks like a 2 disc game, with it ending at the end of the motorcycle section and leaving Midgar. The game will be the same size as a normal numbered FF game. I can imagine a much larger Midgar, with side missions, different stories to tell. Maybe even doing little Avalanche side missions, and returning to 7th Heaven to cook meals in between missions.

They have to bring the game to todays standards, so i think looking at FF15 will give you a rough idea of how its going to turn out.... only episodic.

If that's the case, they best relocate The Golden Saucer to Midgard :quote:

19 minutes ago, df0 said:

If that's the case, they best relocate The Golden Saucer to Midgard :quote:

What's with all this "Midgard" shit? It's not Poetic Edda ;)

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

“Attack while its tail is up!”

Sound advice.

Am I bad for hoping that they blindly enshrine every translation mistake from the original in the new version?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, robdood said:

I was trying to find that yesterday! At least now I k ow I didn't imagine seeing it. 

Unless we both imagined it :ph34r:

D3B67A0F-3350-4502-BB57-A534D8D83807.jpeg

• Upvote 6

5 hours ago, cohen205 said:

I don’t think it will finish at the end of the bike section, purely because the random monster at the end of the road isn’t a great final boss fight for a whole game.

I guess maybe you could have an encounter with Sephiroth when he kills the president, or fight Rufus as the final boss, but I think what makes most sense would be having the Kalm town flashback as the ending, with a tease of them setting off into an open map afterwards.

• Upvote 3

The lack of communication from them about how many games they will have to release or them not knowing is giving me such an uneasy feeling.

I fear when the game is released, it will get panned and they'll be so much backlash for the structure they're going for.  How honestly can Midgar take up what is essential a full FF game? 

I love what they have showed but just feel like I'm gonna be betrayed because it will take like 6 years for the rest of the games to come out.

1 hour ago, CactuarBill said:

The lack of communication from them about how many games they will have to release or them not knowing is giving me such an uneasy feeling.

I hear you, but it's the way of the world man.  Making a game costs so much money.  There's no way they can commit to a schedule / plan for the entire thing. :(

I never even really played FFVII, I think I got a bit into disc 2, or maybe 3, but can't remember much of it.  I am kinda excited to play this one though, for some reason.  Even though I've been burned so many times by JRPGs over the years.  I just don't gel with them, but something about them (and their popularity/fandom) is alluring. 

One thing I keep thinking, is that the abstraction in FFVII isn't just the world map. As Schrier pointed out, the dialogue in the original game is quite basic, and that's one thing they're expanding on. The feeling of the adventure onwards to Sephiroth might be communicated better in a modern game as one of a large set of interlinked adventures, which for once actually have a decent overarching story rather than being made up as and when they're budgeted for. This game has Shinra as the main antagonists, with the payoff at the end being that it's actually Sephiroth they're after. Then maybe at the end of the next game they set off from Junon and The final Boss is Jenova?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Broker said:

One thing I keep thinking, is that the abstraction in FFVII isn't just the world map. As Schrier pointed out, the dialogue in the original game is quite basic, and that's one thing they're expanding on. The feeling of the adventure onwards to Sephiroth might be communicated better in a modern game as one of a large set of interlinked adventures, which for once actually have a decent overarching story rather than being made up as and when they're budgeted for. This game has Shinra as the main antagonists, with the payoff at the end being that it's actually Sephiroth they're after. Then maybe at the end of the next game they set off from Junon and The final Boss is Jenova?

Yes, this would be a dramatically satisfying place to end part of the story, and it would make the east continent the entire explorable area of the game, which is more managable a task than doing the entire planet I'm sure. Then followed up by 'The New Continent' in the third game.

Trouble with that is there isn't much story between Kalm and Junon, especially if you have the flashback tagged onto the end of the first game. The start of Game2 would be: travel to chocobo farm, Midgar Zolom as an early boss. Could drastically expand the zolom marsh to be an entire massive area to explore?

Then it's the encounter with the Turks in the cave (where they just talk, though it could be turned into a battle), a visit to Fort Condor (expand this into a full strategy game?), recruit Yuffie in the forest, and then onto Junon.

Junon is massive if you think about it, it's a huge harbour city, but it would have to be similar in size to Midgar to finish the game that early with little plot development having happened along the way. An explorable multi-level city with the sort of complexity of Mass Effect's Citadel could make for a compelling final area if they do it that way. Once you're done sorting out the sea monster in the slummy areas at the bottom (dolphin jumping and CPR minigames to return!), you infiltrate the top levels, take part in the parade and sneak aboard the ship. In the original game, you barely get the chance to explore Junon at this point, as everything is closed for the parade, so this might have to change.

I can see it working but it would need a lot of expansion. And the danger is that people would lose interest while not much of the overall plot has happened. No Gold Saucer, no Corel, no Barrett backstory yet, no Cosmo Canyon, Temple of the Ancients, No Rocket Town or Cid or Vincent.

As an alternative proposal, perhaps the Nibelheim flashback could be the beginning of the second game and the real Nibelheim is the end, which makes for a satisfying book-end and gets you through a lot of the above, though it would make the game massive!

I suspect this is the sort of thing the devs are weighing up now. I don't envy them the task but I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the more open structure post-Midgar to be ditched for the remake series. The world map was always an abstraction, and the work required to develop that into a fully explorable planet seems prohibitive. It's also not required for a storyline that is only ever fleshed out in the various settlements or a few different vehicles.

Narratively, Junon does make for a useful conclusion to a second game, though we may see it expand as far as Nibelheim. 

• Upvote 2

Has any of the gameplay shown so far had much in the way of exploration? Because I can easily see the whole thing essentially being a series of corridors between set pieces. I'd be surprised if we get a world map like the original in part 2 onwards.