rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake - March 2020

5 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Where have they said it’s 20-30 hours? The original is like 6 to 8

The original scorpion boss was over in 2 minutes, tops. This one is a ten minute epic slashathon.

Do the same for every little moment in Midgar and there's your 20-30 hours! :P

13 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

4k cutscenes take up a lot of space

Where have they said it’s 20-30 hours? The original is like 6 to 8

The original what is 6-8 hours?

Looking at this as someone who doesn't have the emotional connection to FFVII, this remake and the expectation has Star Wars prequels/Special editions vibes. A beloved IP, a great trailer all leading up to the release. I just hope for all you peeps waiting for this it's not a crushing disappointment like that was. I'm still early in my playthrough of the original, but the trailer got me hyped and prompted me to download FF XIV for a free trial, I normally don't get on with the FF character design of the Bro Hero type, but am willing to look past it for this. But the fact they have no concrete plan going forward, haven't definitively said how many there will be or what this first game covers makes me all kind of nervous.

But I genuinely hope that they nail this for everyone who really wants it to be great. 

From that, it sounds like they're cutting out all the 'slow' bits, as in the original, from jumping off the train to getting to the Scorpion boss there's a good half hour of fighting your way through the reactor, as well as a few light puzzles, if I recall correctly.

Good Kotaku article to read

https://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/06/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-feels-great-to-play-but-the-project-might-not-be-finished-for-a-while

The best way to describe the Final Fantasy VII remake is “fleshed out.” It’s like the PS1 version of Final Fantasy VII was an outline and this is the final paper. Whereas in the original game you’d see a few dialogue exchanges that were meant to broadly convey feelings – Jessie being flirty, Barret trying to convince Cloud that the environment is worth saving – here there are fleshed-out conversations, genuine personality, and dialogue with a surprising amount of warmth.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but interesting post on twitter.

If the next part isn't out for 2-3 years, whats to stop you grinding to max level making you OP for the next part? I would assume they will be using level caps per game?  

8 minutes ago, Broker said:

Hmmm. They have to also be fleshing out the size of the city right?

Yep, I would think so, if it is over two discs then surely there must be more quests/interaction in the city.

If your save even transfers across? There’s no way the RPG aspects like levelling and collecting items are going to work well across multiple games, because they never, ever do.

Just now, Broker said:

If your save even transfers across? There’s no way the RPG aspects like levelling and collecting items are going to work well across multiple games, because they never, ever do.

And across platform generations.

Exactly. This kinda stuff barely works in BioWare games where all you’re importing is story choices. How on earth will it work with RPG stats and equipment? 

10 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but interesting post on twitter.

If the next part isn't out for 2-3 years, whats to stop you grinding to max level making you OP for the next part? I would assume they will be using level caps per game?  

Boredom?

• Upvote 1

It seems insane to me they haven't even concepted how to do the open world bit yet, surely the linear dungeon bit is easy and that's the hardest part? I mean, they've got to have cars, submarines, airships that can load cars and mounts and whole cities in an open world spanning multiple continents.

Maybe they will get rid of levelling up?

I reckon that the amount of weapons may be cut down as well. There were loads for the original game. Plus the Buster sword is clearly the best sword.

Yeah, and it messes with the iconic nature of the character t have his weapon stripped away. I wonder if instead you'll just upgrade your main weapon? At the least I'd expect them to replace the Ultima Weapon model with a Buster Sword one.

I'm confused about how everything will work really. Will the first game have barely any spells? Or will we get them all in the first game and they'll have to add Bolt 4, 5 and 6 to the next game?

I reckon the mobile version of FFXV is pretty good indicator of how this will actually work in practice. Not in terms of length and graphics obviously, but in terms of stripping things down. Linear ‘action' levels then cutscene then another linear action level, with the odd hub and a light smattering of actual RPG customisation.

13 minutes ago, Broker said:

Yeah, and it messes with the iconic nature of the character t have his weapon stripped away. I wonder if instead you'll just upgrade your main weapon? At the least I'd expect them to replace the Ultima Weapon model with a Buster Sword one.

I'm confused about how everything will work really. Will the first game have barely any spells? Or will we get them all in the first game and they'll have to add Bolt 4, 5 and 6 to the next game?

My guess is magic will be tied to materia, but materia won't level up. So fire materia will let you cast fire, but if you want fire lv 2, you'll need a fire lv2 materia. Which is a separate thing, rather than a levelled up lv1 one. If you get my meaning.

I think if you forget that this is FF7 for a moment and treat it entirely as a new Square RPG it looks... Pretty good.

To be honest not really having a roadmap for how many future games kind of makes sense if you imagine for example that they are trying to slavishly recreate all of the game's unique moments and feel. It would take such an insane amount of development time it's probably better for them to think about how they're going to tackle each chunk of the story on a case by case basis, and co-ordinate each one as a completely separately scoped project. So on the positive side, this might actually mean they are trying to be as detailed as possible for the entire thing, which would mean measuring how many episodes that is going to end up being will be next to impossible, not to mention a gamble that they will ever finish it, like with what happened to the Shenmue series...

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Broker said:

There is another weapon for Cloud shown in the demo: Hardedge:

Oh shit, well shut me up then. If they're inclusing that hideous thing then they're probably just dumping in whatever. It looks a bit like they might have just used the PS1 asset anyway in that image :lol:

Guys I’m looking for the comparison shot of Cloud stood in front of a load of ripped guys. Was it posted in here or Pics that make you laugh?

6 minutes ago, DC said:

Guys I’m looking for the comparison shot of Cloud stood in front of a load of ripped guys. Was it posted in here or Pics that make you laugh?

I was trying to find that yesterday! At least now I k ow I didn't imagine seeing it. 

Unless we both imagined it :ph34r: