rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake - March 2020

44 minutes ago, wev said:

FFXIV:ARR is/was the best Final Fantasy "in years"

I'm going to have to call you out on this nonsense... Heavensward is.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sprite said:

I think potentially that was a flashback/from Cloud’s mind, but even then you’re right we didn’t see him until Kalm I don’t think...

I liked that we didn't get to see Sephiroth until well into the game.

They should've focused on Rufus and Shinra as antagonists in Midgar, there's no need to crowbar Sephiroth in. :seanr:

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

I'm going to have to call you out on this nonsense... Heavensward is.

I've not got to Heavensward yet! Recently beat Ultima though so I'm on my way

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

The appeal of FFVII was never the combat imho.

I’ll happily go into this with an open mind.

No. It was the wonderful materia system that allowed for so many different approaches to gameplay. 

• Upvote 5

7 minutes ago, nakamura said:

No. It was the wonderful materia system that allowed for so many different approaches to gameplay. 

It was the first massive JRPG to utilise CD storage space and rendered backgrounds. The story and characters are iconic for a generation of gamers.

The fighting system was good, the materia system especially, but it wasn't what sold the game.

18 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

It was the first massive JRPG to utilise CD storage space and rendered backgrounds. The story and characters are iconic for a generation of gamers.

The fighting system was good, the materia system especially, but it wasn't what sold the game.

Well yes. But it didn't put millions off either. It was a great system. 

The music is weird. The tunes are memorable but the actual sample quality is poor and overall it's far worse than say Mitsuda's music. 

But it's still great.

42 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Well yes. But it didn't put millions off either. It was a great system. 

It's supposedly the most returned game of all time. It quite literally put millions off.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Here's the same  video with English voices

That voice acting is fucking brutal. My lord.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, nakamura said:

The music is weird. The tunes are memorable but the actual sample quality is poor and overall it's far worse than say Mitsuda's music. 

But it's still great.

I still think it's the best videogame soundtrack I've heard. I listen to it pretty regularly.

Some of the music is genuinely haunting.

• Upvote 6

I'm re-playing the original through on the Switch at the moment.  There have been plenty of times where I find myself just sitting their still, listening to the music play out.

If they don't play homage to the original music a lot of people will be upset.

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

It's supposedly the most returned game of all time. It quite literally put millions off.

Perhaps in parts of England. The millions of sales of it and the follow ups suggest otherwise. It's a popular 90s myth. 

42 minutes ago, David Kenny said:

I still think it's the best videogame soundtrack I've heard. I listen to it pretty regularly.

Some of the music is genuinely haunting.

I wouldn't put it in the top 20. It has some great stuff though and the overall tunes are good, but some of it sounds crazily cheap. I really like it but feel they really had to squish it down to fit on the game. 

Personally the quality of this is much higher,purely from a technical perspective.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, Chrono Cross sounds insanely good for chip tunes but it was a very late release when the PS1's hardware was better understood. For FFVII, they had to fit pretty much all music tracks into active RAM at once due to how the game loads data.

FFVII is still my favourite game ever and I'm kidding myself if I think I won't buy this remake. Of course I will. But I'll have to just think of it as an action game set in a universe I love, rather than a 'remake'. A bit like Crisis Core. I'll get a little buzz running through Midgar, get all weepy at some remastered tunes and hopefully have a bit of fun along the way. We'll see.

I'm still expecting it to be cancelled.

True true. But Mitsuda had a better grasp of the SNES also compared to Uematsu. His sound was just more natural. 

Suikoden had incredible music for an early game which I believe goes into the sound chip. 

Anyway, not meaning to suggest I don't like the OST, I do and I absolutely love the game to bits. 

I like the soundtrack, but I think that with certain tracks you could tidy things up and replace those MIDI parps :P without destroying a tune's impact or identity. I'd prefer it if they didn't put in completely new (different) music for scenes though - tracks like Anxious Heart and Who Am I have such a strong connection to the associated locations and plot developments. :) 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I like the soundtrack, but I think that with certain tracks you could tidy things up and replace those MIDI parps :P without destroying a tune's impact or identity. I'd prefer it if they didn't put in completely new (different) music for scenes though - tracks like Anxious Heart and Who Am I have such a strong connection to the associated locations and plot developments. :) 

Totally.

2 hours ago, nakamura said:

I wouldn't put it in the top 20. It has some great stuff though and the overall tunes are good, but some of it sounds crazily cheap. I really like it but feel they really had to squish it down to fit on the game. 

Personally the quality of this is much higher,purely from a technical perspective.

I think CC deserves another play through now I've heard that music again, only ever beaten it once, as back in the day I bought it on import ( still have it ) and the swap trick wouldn't work at the end of disc one :( 

Was just as good circa 2013/14 when I did that play through as I remembered it being on release, the combat in that really was great.

• Upvote 1

I played both CC and VII again in 2017 and loved them still. So much happens in them yet they still give you time to breathe. Master's of the genre. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I think CC deserves another play through now I've heard that music again, only ever beaten it once, as back in the day I bought it on import ( still have it ) and the swap trick wouldn't work at the end of disc one :( 

Was just as good circa 2013/14 when I did that play through as I remembered it being on release, the combat in that really was great.

Haha, that brings back memories! Bloody thing didn't let you save between discs.