rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Final Fantasy VII Remake - March 2020

2 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

and this is from someone who still has a plethora of FF merch adorning his bedroom :(

Waitaminute...enhance.

13010645_10156783476930357_5885931714028

You have come of age and it is time to shunt it all into a retro folderinspired guilt-nest garden shed. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've only watched the new trailer once, but thinking back - wasn't it all footage from the first hour or so of the game?

You’re right, it was all from the first hour and that’s a bit worrying. Maybe whoever said the first release will be the Midgar part only will be correct in his assumptions.

• Upvote 2

I haven't played a FF since 8. What's wrong with the new fight systems?

I think the trailer looks amazing. But I'm convinced the first game will be Midgar only.

The only other negative is the characterisation has not aged well.

As someone who is on his third run through of FFVII at the minute, this looks...awful. The characters look great (apart from Cloud, but I think that's more to do with the fact that modern Cloud looks rubbish anyway), but everything else looks terrible. I can't believe they've used the combat from FFXV. :facepalm:

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

3 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Have they confirmed that the release will still be episodically?

"Producing a proper HD remake of Final Fantasy 7 that maintains the same feeling of density of the original would result in a volume of content that couldn't possibly fit into one instalment," he said. "We've seen everyone's comments and reactions to the news that Final Fantasy 7 remake will be a multi-part series and many have speculated correctly as to the reason why we have made this decision. If we were to try to fit everything from the original into one remake instalment, we would have to cut various parts and create a condensed version of Final Fantasy 7. We knew none of you would have wanted that.

Edit: From here 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-07-final-fantasy-7-remake-is-episodic

2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I haven't played a FF since 8. What's wrong with the new fight systems?

Loks like it plays similar to third person action games, rather than a turn based system, leading more to action styled gaming rather than thoughtful use of your move set.

I always found the ATB fun and challenging, working out if an attack, casting magic, using an item was for this turn or the next, it had a different type of strategy to it, with this, it just looks like a generic push the A button to attack as much as you can and dodge a little, with the old set up, you had to plan ahead, in a way, I see turn based combat similar to Chess, could just be me though, maybe there will be people out there who like it, maybe even I will once it arrives and I've dug it out of a secondhand basket somewhere, but there's no excitement from me for it and that is a shame, I am exactly who this game should be striking nostalgia for, instead, I see it and I'd rather complain about it on the internet.

• Upvote 6

When I played this back on release I was in a particular "place" personally and this game helped me with that (and the original Tomb Raider and WIpeout 2097). It utterly enthralled me and took me out of the world a bit. No other JRPG has interested me before or since (and I have tried a few) and so it holds a pretty special place in my heart.

The announcement trailer way back when gave me chills and maybe even a tear (partially remembering those times when i played it originally). It was utterly beguiling to somone who played the original, teasing us with the possibility of a hi def remake - the old clunky game with a fresh coat of paint.

Since then hearing how much they are going to change the chills have gone... I rebought the original on Switch on a whim recently and oh my word it still gives me those feelings I used to get - it is the original form I love - with all its flaws.

this trailer does not have the same impact as it has moved on from the nostalgia prodding of the first trailer... although it doesn't look as bad as I feared - the combat looks similarish to the original.

But I think this isn't for me really... I think it is for the next generation to enjoy the story and for those who want to see a reimagining.

ANd I will always have the original on my Playstation and on the Switch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rayn said:

You’re right, it was all from the first hour and that’s a bit worrying. Maybe whoever said the first release will be the Midgar part only will be correct in his assumptions.

Which looks to be why they've shoehorned Sephiroth into Midgar, because otherwise the first game wouldn't have had the villain at all.

8 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Which looks to be why they've shoehorned Sephiroth into Midgar, because otherwise the first game wouldn't have had the villain at all.

Good point.

58 minutes ago, Rayn said:

"Producing a proper HD remake of Final Fantasy 7 that maintains the same feeling of density of the original would result in a volume of content that couldn't possibly fit into one instalment," he said. "We've seen everyone's comments and reactions to the news that Final Fantasy 7 remake will be a multi-part series and many have speculated correctly as to the reason why we have made this decision. If we were to try to fit everything from the original into one remake instalment, we would have to cut various parts and create a condensed version of Final Fantasy 7. We knew none of you would have wanted that.

Edit: From here 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-07-final-fantasy-7-remake-is-episodic

This game's going to be a clusterfuck. It'll be a 'half decent' action game i'm sure (and this has been done to appeal to the masses) but for those who played the originals it will be dissapointing (other than looking pretty), for those new to the games it will feel half finished because of the episodic nature.

As for the comments above, why not wait until the technology was at a point where a good remake could be done all in one go? I know people will calling out for it but creating something that's disjointed is going to ruin people's memories of FFVII rather than enhance them.

Sadly I think i'm out on this one, I've bought every FF to date and this is where I will draw the line. Recreating the game to appeal to the 'masses' and it will spoil it.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Luseth said:

As for the comments above, why not wait until the technology was at a point where a good remake could be done all in one go? I know people will calling out for it but creating something that's disjointed is going to ruin people's memories of FFVII rather than enhance them.

Well that's just it, the technology is why something like this is so difficult to make. They are trying to take the scope of the original games world and remake it under modern standards, that means the world would be 1:1 scale and not use the abstraction seen in the original, that alone is a huge task if the developers are committed to a world where everything connects in a realistic fashion. Add the level of detail in modern graphics on top of that and the need to naturally expand the game anyway being a remake and all and you get a project that becomes bigger and more difficult to do with every new generation.

Games take more time, money and man power than ever to make, especially at the cutting edge standards that are expected of games by Square on new systems such as the PS4. Sadly they don't get the luxuries afford by the likes of Monolith Soft with their Xenoblade series where they can cut corners with their graphical style not being massively demanding like the one being used by the FF7 remake. Even Namco's Tales series has been smart enough to keep many traditions in their series to avoid these issues.

In short with every generation that passes the scope of a project such as this is only going to become bigger and more ridiculously demanding due to the nature of the original game. Square don't want to make a 1 for 1 remake with a graphic upgrade either, it would be pointless in their eyes when the original exists and can just be played instead. The Resident Evil 2 remake took years to make and they had a far more manageable scope to work with thanks to the game being set mostly in one building.

The reason it took them so long to even start remaking FF7 is obvious; it is a game they really didn't want to remake on the logistics side. It's a poisoned chalice. 

• Upvote 6

I dont mind them using the FFV combat as a base. FFV was the best FF for years. What concerns me far more is seemingly not remaking FF7 but a reimagnining based around available resources. (whch is different making changes for pacing reasons, I can understand why there are elements you would change due to the way the game plays/is presented)

If you are going to do it, do it properly. Don't start shortcutting .

If this is going to be episodic it's likely that the first instalment will sell and then people will lose interest waiting for the rest meaning it will probably never be finished.

• Upvote 3

Aeris and Sephiroth with generic American accents sounds all kinds of wrong to me. Good example of how your imagination would help to colour the characters in the PS1 era of text-only speech and limited graphics.

From its inception I was never convinced that this was a good idea and what they’ve shown so far has done nothing to sway me from that view.

17 minutes ago, Stanley said:

If this is going to be episodic it's likely that the first instalment will sell and then people will lose interest waiting for the rest meaning it will probably never be finished.

Yeah, I was thinking the trend of revivals or remasters hasn't actually led to any long-term successes. There's a lot of series where people brought in based on nostalgia hype from people who liked the original, played it, and you can see a drop off pretty steeply for the second game that implies they didn't really like it.

Deus Ex revival did well, the sequel fell off a cliff. X:COM did well, XCOM 2 not so much. Wolfenstein: New Order did well, New Colossus not so much, etc. It's not even limited to gaming, Star Wars: Force Awakens set records but the series has had increasing disinterest, to the point the views for the latest film trailer are behind those of the Sonic the Hedgehog Movie, despite being out for two weeks longer.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

Aeris and Sephiroth with generic American accents sounds all kinds of wrong to me. Good example of how your imagination would help to colour the characters in the PS1 era of text-only speech and limited graphics.

From its inception I was never convinced that this was a good idea and what they’ve shown so far has done nothing to sway me from that view.

At least they have been consistent with the voices, from Crisis core to Advent children and onwards.

Actually all they really need to do is remake Crisis Core if they want a more action based game set in the FFVII universe.

• Downvote 1

Having recently replayed it on Switch, I assumed they’d have to cut certain parts out for the remake anyway because of how daft they’ll look with the direction they’ve taken.

14 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

The appeal of FFVII was never the combat imho.

I’ll happily go into this with an open mind.

And if they had have gone down the route of ATB then there would be an equal amount of people complaining that it was out of date.

Also @PeteBrant FFXIV:ARR is/was the best Final Fantasy "in years"

• Upvote 1

That triggered my nostalgia glands very effectively, but the episodic thing has soured me on this whole project. It'll be 2025 before you can play it all the way through.

They should have scaled it back a bit, kept it closer to the original but with modern assets and lighting. They could have released it as a single game and it would have still sold millions.

• Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, PeteBrant said:

I should have stipulated single player...

My point still stands ;) (I've played everything solo where it's not compulsory to have a party which is alot)

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I think potentially that was a flashback/from Cloud’s mind, but even then you’re right we didn’t see him until Kalm I don’t think...

Just now, sprite said:

I think potentially that was a flashback/from Cloud’s mind, but even then you’re right we didn’t see him until Kalm I don’t think...

And it looks like he's in a street rather than the reactor, so it's probably a new scene, given the reactor was kinda important for that one.