Transformers Devastation by Platinum Games

• 4 weeks later...

Just started this as it was 13 quid at game. Really enjoying it though I haven't got the hang of the focus attacks. Upgrade system isn't the most intuitive though.

Just finished chapter 1, looks like their next turtles game will be a day 1 purchase for me, particularly if they manage decent online multiplayer

Finished this last night, what a fucking fantastic game and one of my best impulse purchases ever, I don't even like Transformers that much but the core gameplay is so satisfying. Also as the credits rolled the Mrs said 'it sounds like Rocky IV' i mean really, what greater commendation can you get than that.

Really looking forward to TMNT

• 1 month later...

Got this for Christmas but due to Yakuza 5 I've only just started it (2 chapters in). It's really bloody good, isn't it? Like, much more than it has any right to be (and I don't even like Transformers!). I'm actually preferring it to Bayo a bit! Certainly the environments are a bit sparse but the cutscenes are kept to a minimum and there is a lot of customisation going on. So far I've mostly been using Bumblebee as he seems a bit more nimble than the others. Great stuff though, so colourful and has a real Saturday morning TV vibe to it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20-2-2016 at 3:28 PM, kernow said:

Just blasted through this over a couple of sessions and it was great. Sone real g1 fan service. Loved it 

Seconded.

Don't think there'll ever come another game as good as this that does the 80s cartoons as much justice - unless they make a sequel. May not have the combo potential like Bayonetta or Vanquish, but has the outstanding action packed gameplay we've come to expect from Platinum nonetheless.

I only wished there were even more Decepticons or Autobots in it. But even then I was smiling all the way through, and am itching to get back to it using all the techniques I learned during my first playthrough.

Easily the best TF game ever.

• 4 months later...

Good stuff. TF has really tight combat. Curious what Kenji Saito does next. Now that Kamija is making an action RPG and we still don't know if Itsuno is making DMC5, he's probably our best character action bet.

• 5 months later...

It's a Platinum game, usually if something's soaking up a lot of damage it means you're missing a trick. Honestly I'm slightly more confounded by this than I was by Rising, I can't quite line up shooting and driving and fighting, but there's something in the countering (like usual) that seems to be making a difference..

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Has this been erased from history?

I originally bought it/rinsed it on PS3, but with the PS4 coming to it’s end I figured it must be pretty cheap to upgrade to that version, and that way have it also available to play on the PS5.

It doesn’t exist on the store...

Was there a disc version? Better than nothing maybe.

edit - from Wikipedia:

The game was removed from sale via digital storefronts in December 2017, alongside other Transformersgames published by Activision, due to the expiration of their licensing deal with Hasbro.[2]

FUCK. They did it on the sly I guess.

It’s certainly a timely reminder for myself, I had been considering the digital PS5 but definitely won’t be getting it now.

Wasn’t the game only released in late 2015? So no more than two years on the store. That’s ridiculous. I assume the DLC has also been wiped out of existence (not that I was very bothered until discovering I couldn’t get it anymore).

12 hours ago, Darwock said:

Wasn’t the game only released in late 2015? So no more than two years on the store. That’s ridiculous. I assume the DLC has also been wiped out of existence (not that I was very bothered until discovering I couldn’t get it anymore).

None of Platinum's licenced games have lasted very long in online stores:

Legend of Korra - October 2014-December 2017

Transformers - October 2015-December 2017

TMNT: Mutants in Manhattan - May 2016-January 2017 (less than 8 months!)

11 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Or in people's memory.

Apart from Transformers they're Platinum's worst games. Almost like Kamiya was deliberately trolling his Western audience. Scalebound anyone?

Chris Wagar ascribes the tiers in Platinum Games' quality to the different credited directors:

https://critpoints.net/2016/07/17/the-secret-behind-platinums-quality/

Of the recurring directors we have Hideki Kamiya (Bayo 1, W101, Scalebound), Yusuke Hashimoto (Bayo 2, Star Fox Zero), Eiro Shirahama (Legend of Korra, TMNT), and Kenji Saito (MGR, TD). This leads me to think that Kenji Saito is something really special to the company, he may be an even better director than Kamiya. I’d keep an eye on him in particular in the future. It also leads me to think that Hashimoto and Eiro Shirahama aren’t very good directors.

Since then, they've added two more: Yoko Taro directed Nier Automata, and Takahisa Taura directed Astral Chain.

In trying to track down a reasonably priced disc copy I’ve found out This never got a release in Japan? I don’t get the logic of that - TFs are very popular here, plus Japanese developer. More license troubles?

Just checked and I've got this in my Steam library whew.  I'm still gutted I cannot buy Outrun Coast to Coast digitally

I usually keep an eye on this website - https://delistedgames.com/ who track games that are about to be delisted or even games that are getting relisted.  Funny thing is the price of any particular game shoots up as its about to be delisted.