Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The Euro 2016 update comes out on March 24th. It contains one stadium - the Stade de France - and nine of the 24 nations aren't licensed (Ireland, Sweden, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland, Belgium, Romania, Russia and Poland). No word on whether qualification is included but given the bare bones approach to the tournament itself, I'm going to assume not.

 

Still, it is free.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I'm still playing the Master League, six months on. That in itself is an achievement, because there's usually a point in the single player experience where repetition kicks in, but this has surprisingly held up. The AI is still putting up strong challenges and I'm still learning different ways to mix up the play and slice open the opposition.

 

I think the game's greatest strength is how it focuses on creating space. It affects everything else in the game - passing around for possession, playing the perfect through ball, noticing players peeling away at the back post, even the simple stuff like keeping a hold of the ball is just about keeping your body between it and the opponent, using any little pocket to feel your way through.

 

It's not a perfect game, of course. Losing possession to a tackle feels stilted as your player runs through his stumble animation and recovery without any attempt at a reaction, the goalkeeper refuses to drop the ball to his feet unless he's completely stationary, forcing player runs is a little more finicky than it is in FIFA - though they do make good runs in general - and there isn't a perfect camera to play with, leaving you with a choice between a constrained view and one where you frequently can't see the near touchline.

 

It also has flaws off the pitch, aside from the obvious lack of licensing. Youth players tend to be just retired stars regenerated (complete with name and age-ravaged facial features - my 16 year old Pirlo is no cherub), essentially killing any joy to be had in building a youth squad as you know who to sign up. The Euro 2016 DLC is the final tournament only - most of the work seems to have gone into replicating the players (which remains superb) rather than offering any truly new play. And the fake teams that litter the game kill some of the buzz - you can remove the three leagues from the Master League, but not the other sides that crop up in European competition. 

 

But overall, it's probably the most satisfying football game I've played, in single player, since PES 3. 

 

And if I only had more friends, I'd have an opinion on the multiplayer too!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said way back when, if they offered a Superleague mode, they could combine all their licensed teams in the game into a three or four-level pyramid for a really satisfying experience. And it'd give us a chance to play through the Master League with teams not in the major nations, without needing to swap them into the three fake leagues, which screws up the continental cups.

 

I'd love to try and take Lokomotiv Tashkent to top of the pile.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Master league on this is much better than Fifas career mode just due to the AI and the game is worth it for that alone assuming you want a football manager lite carreer. I dont want to play Fifa's AI when you're going to have around 20% possesion when putting it onto a more challenging difficulty. And that's not to say I'm terrible at FIFA, it's all we play in our uni house but its just no fun against AI their side ways passes and keeping posession bores me to death. PES however I feel is challenging and when playing against lower league teams on master league they will still punish you for any mistakes keeping you on your toes.

The online however for PES is an awful lagfest. How their online presentation is still replicating something out of 2005 is mind boggling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

So with a big tournament on the way, I always need to have a footy game to play to keep me in the mood. Based on opinions here, and my completely unfounded dislike of FIFA, I grabbed this today. Sounds like the Master League is the way to go, so would you guys suggest I play some friendlies or the Euro stuff to get used to the controls and play style, then jump into Master league? I downloaded the free MyClub stuff but never really used it, and it seems thats a bit of a mess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SMD said:

Honestly just jump straight in, you'll learn more playing with the lower rated players and I still find it fun.

Cool, will do that then! Just waiting on the download and the inevitable massive patch to install.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Cool, will do that then! Just waiting on the download and the inevitable massive patch to install.......

I came to PES from years of FIFA and it's perfectly playable on the hardest difficulty without tricks or finesse shots.

 

I hate Konami but it's worth keeping up to date just to get the most out of the entry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meatbin said:

Master League is where it's at, but I've been enjoying the Euro 2016 mode recently - shame Konami didn't update the international squads.

I think they said they were going to, maybe it will come this week?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another quick question.

 

Should I start Master League with the standard team or the ones with the real players? And is there a simple data file I can use to update team names, or should I just do it myself? Am on a PS3. Kits and Competition logos don't worry me too much, but I want the proper names in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Another quick question.

 

Should I start Master League with the standard team or the ones with the real players? And is there a simple data file I can use to update team names, or should I just do it myself? Am on a PS3. Kits and Competition logos don't worry me too much, but I want the proper names in.

 

Depends on how you want to play it.  You'll have a much more emotionally attached playthrough with the standard team, and the transfer market will be so satisfying for finding bargains and veterans at first, and then later on actually signing star players is super exciting.  Playing with real teams is cool, but it doesn't have the same satisfaction, but I suppose it depends what team you start with I suppose.

 

Not sure about data files for PS3, but usually I just rename the premier league team names if you can't find a patch.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, meatbin said:

 

Depends on how you want to play it.  You'll have a much more emotionally attached playthrough with the standard team, and the transfer market will be so satisfying for finding bargains and veterans at first, and then later on actually signing star players is super exciting.  Playing with real teams is cool, but it doesn't have the same satisfaction, but I suppose it depends what team you start with I suppose.

 

Not sure about data files for PS3, but usually I just rename the premier league team names if you can't find a patch.

 

 

 

Standard it is then. I'll just edit the teams myself instead of mucking about with other files.

 

2 hours ago, SMD said:

I came to PES from years of FIFA and it's perfectly playable on the hardest difficulty without tricks or finesse shots.

 

I hate Konami but it's worth keeping up to date just to get the most out of the entry.

 

I got the Euro 2016 version, and it took no time to update, so all good. Can only select an international team as favourite, but all the other PES stuff is there

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meatbin said:

Playing with real teams is cool, but it doesn't have the same satisfaction, but I suppose it depends what team you start with I suppose.

 

Does indeed. I started with UE Llagostera. I knew nothing about the side and their players were actually worse than the ML default sides.

 

Mosquito was still there when we lifted the CL for the second time. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The news about PES 2017 sounds promising, but then it always does at this stage. What's not so promising is that there hasn't been a peep about the PC version. I'd imagine if it was going to be on par this year they'd have said so by now as it would be a big deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll play as standard I think, plus there is a commentary name for the team I support, Southport, so will stride into battle with them.

 

Editing the teams is a pain in the arse though. They could at least have put the colours right for the English teams, not sure I can be bothered wading through changing all of them, but it does take a little bit away from it.

 

Will finally get to bloody play at some point I guess

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you don't do what I did - spend a couple of days editing all of the English sides (both divisions), accidentally cock up the update so it overwrites them, spend another couple of days doing it all over again... and then play my entire career in Spain.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

As long as you don't do what I did - spend a couple of days editing all of the English sides (both divisions), accidentally cock up the update so it overwrites them, spend another couple of days doing it all over again... and then play my entire career in Spain.

Thats exactly what I am doing now :) Updating the 2 English Leagues, doing first team kits, can't be bothered with away ones. 

 

Warn me, how does an update cock it up?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Thats exactly what I am doing now :) Updating the 2 English Leagues, doing first team kits, can't be bothered with away ones. 

 

Warn me, how does an update cock it up?

 

The first big transfer update (in October, because of course) asked if you wanted to update the squads. For some reason, I selected no. This was fine - I could have just played on, but no, I had to go and see if I could somehow reactivate the update. In doing so, I managed to delete my edits.

 

Wasn't the game's fault, really.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

 

The first big transfer update (in October, because of course) asked if you wanted to update the squads. For some reason, I selected no. This was fine - I could have just played on, but no, I had to go and see if I could somehow reactivate the update. In doing so, I managed to delete my edits.

 

Wasn't the game's fault, really.

Ah, OK. Well the editing is taking ages, and I haven't finished yet, but I know i would get annoyed with the game if I don't do it

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's one of the things I hate the most, and it's mostly my fault, but the game certainly doesn't help by not even bothering with the basic club colours. I could probably live with a simple team renaming if the kits were at least sensible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.