rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Shedders

Hitman - Sapienza currently free to download!

You and me both, Mr Gerbik. In it together 'til the end, tasting every awful corruption of our beloved, assorted stealth series (oh Hitman, oh Thief :(), in the hope that one day they'll get worthy follow-ups.

What do you wanna bet many people said the same thing last time?

Everyone was slagging the game off at this stage last time though. They said absolutely everything wrong, go back and read the interviews with Absolution's old director and its night and day. The way they described Absolution last time made it sound like they hated the old Hitman games. All this talk of them being overly complex and overwhelming.

Then they saw what they said was going down like utter shit amongst the fanbase and started backtracking like hell which made people believe near the end until we all played the horrible truth.

At the very least it sounds like no generic boring stealth levels like Absolution, but I do really believe they've gone back to their roots with this and know they fucked up last time. Whether they still have the talent at the studio to make levels as great as those in BM, who knows, but I'm definitely a bit excited again. European locations, exotic scenarios, a focus on hits again. Compare to crawling through fucking sewers avoiding cops and hiding from helicopter fire in Absolution.

With absolution, everyone was dead suspicious of it but they showed the Chinatown level which made everyone think "hang on a sec, this looks alright" but it was at odds with everything else they mentioned - like the checkpoints which when used then reset the NPCs clockwork routine which was quite frankly a stupid idea.

There were some good levels in that they were decent sandboxes to mess about in but overall it wasn't a hitman game. It was some hitman/splinter cell/3rd person cover hybrid

A shame that the title is just Hitman now in that as we go through our annual rollercoaster ride, up until its release, we won't have any material to work with for the thread title.

"Shitman 8th Dec 2015 - was: Hitman 8th Dec 2015" isn't exactly creative. :(

Taking a leap of faith, hypothetically imagining it's pretty good, and episodic. IMAGINE the fun we will have as a group of nerds, sharing videos, experiences, setting contracts for each other. OH GOD I WANT IT TO BE PERFECT. If only I had time to make proper videos with silly subs again.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkGMt7cWl0HsiFNtOoZ6Pc-VxmxHQZ56y

Hmmm, this is up for pre-order on PSN for £39.99 which seems suspiciously cheap given how awful the prices are on there. For comparison, you can preorder Batman for £54.99 or buy Elder Scroll Online for the same, or even buy the bloody Dragonball Z game for the same price. Uncharted Collection is 49.99.

A mistake, or a hint that the game is going to be quite light on content at release?

I would guess at least part of the reason for that price is because downloading is the only way to get it. Not that downloads should ever be more expensive than retail, but there you go. But because of the lack of choice charging £50 could put people buying it at all.

I don't think it's a mistake anyway and with it being episodic I'd wait to see what they commit to before pre-ordering. :P

I'm actually quite surprised at the amount of games that are being made that have moved away from the "auteur, I wanna be a movie maker" type of story driven yet allegedly called 'sandbox' games.

I really hope it isn't a new marketing line because that's exactly the sort of games I wanted to have as a sandbox game and something that is a real strength of the medium which hasn't really been pushed as much as I personally think it should.

Be interesting to see what Rockstar do for their next open world title, be it Red Dead or GTA VI as it was probably the original top down GTA that made me want a game where I can plan my own crimes based on the whole world being my sandbox, rather than it just being a killing and carnage sandbox that has little to no relation to the rest of the world going on around you. Just to think that one day you could get a game like GTA V with the persistence, intricacy and options of a proper Hitman (BM) contract on almost every single person in the game and the repercussions of that affecting the city around you...

Just look at this level below. I can't express what a buzz it is to see something like this and know the whole thing is open for exploration, ripe with possibilities. Absolution had nothing like this. The last time I've an environment this enticing was the government building in an early Dishonored mission, and even that had a loading break in it.

I just hope the whole place is alive with NPCs going about their business, things to interact with to mess about with the AI, easter eggs, little side-stories, hiding spots and potential sniping positions (beyond the obvious crane on the left!):

post-2867-0-30198100-1434616994_thumb.jp

IO picked up some questions from hitmanforum.com and answered them in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=13701&v=oKwMyu7WtWc#t=3h49m9s

I've not watched it myself but someone summarised the key points:

The most interesting points from this video in my opinion, to those who don't have the time to watch:
-Different poisons, one kills, one knocks out, one makes the poisoned get flustered and wild, perhaps more?
-The loadout has limited slots, you won't just be able to bring explosives and lockpicks and poisons and crowbar, you have to pick and choose.
-France is the level we see. But there's also Italy (a more outdoorsy level, Christian says) and Morocco, Africa!!!
-The official "daily" contract sounds awesome. (Well, it's actually every 48 hours). Christian wasn't 100% specific on this, but what he did say is that you won't know much about him so you will have to search for him, he will only be there for 48 hours, you will only get a limited number of chances to kill him (possibly just one?), you won't get to replay the level many times (if ever) and you might want to see someone else on youtube or twitch try to take a go at him so you learn more. Or you might want to try to get the prestigious first kill. This concept sounds really cool.
-Christian says that by the time they finish patching the whole game and release it physically, it will be "Bigger than Absolution". Really bold claim if he's talking in number of levels, but perhaps not so bold if he means in actual space. Either ways, sounds good.

Just look at this level below. I can't express what a buzz it is to see something like this and know the whole thing is open for exploration, ripe with possibilities. Absolution had nothing like this. The last time I've an environment this enticing was the government building in an early Dishonored mission, and even that had a loading break in it.

I just hope the whole place is alive with NPCs going about their business, things to interact with to mess about with the AI, easter eggs, little side-stories, hiding spots and potential sniping positions (beyond the obvious crane on the left!):

attachicon.gifParis.jpg

Would be cool if the Dishonored remaster got rid of in-game loading.

More AMA stuff from hitmanforum thread:

- When a body is found guards will drag it away, like they do in Blood Money.

- Also, as with Blood Money, guards who find guns will pick them up. You can use this to your advantage e.g to smuggle weapons past a security checkpoint

- there are still some 'player triggered' conversations that occur when you move in range, as with Absolution, to make sure you can overhear intel (I don't like this, personally. Ruins the immersion)

- Choking out from Absolution returns. Knocked out dudes will wake up again! I wonder if this means they run around in the nude if you've taken their clothes, like SA. I loved that. Think the syringe will put them to sleep permanently, but of course you have limited uses of that.

- new syringe type makes people sick. Not sure if it makes them run to the nearest bathroom, which would allow for some neat strategic uses.

- large weapons have to be carried in plain sight (or can use suitcase - not sure if anything can be put in the suitcase or just disassembled rifles)

- frisking is back - also mention of random frisks rather than just checkpoints. Perhaps when you pique a guard's suspicions.

- sounds like Jesper Kyd isn't doing the music, unfortunately.

- Coins from Blood Money are back (to lure guards), but you have a limited amount. This time they just make guards look round, which makes sense.

- Inventory system from Contracts/Blood Money returns

- another 'observant individual' example: if you were in waiters disguise, other waiters didn't get suspicious but the bar-tender did - and these NPCs are indicated with a small icon above their head.

- Fibre wire is a simple button-press, like Absolution, rather than the slightly more involved hold-and-release from earlier games.

- "Commando roll" between cover is gone, but the rest of the cover system returns from Absolution.

- "Fake surrender" from Absolution returns

- Apparently 47 currently looks a bit goofy and walks in a feminine fashion. Hopefully this will be sorted before release :)

- Crowds and NPCs: Everyone has it's own lines and you can interact with a lot of people. At the very beginning of the level there's a camera guy and a reporter who's filming the event. If you go in front of the camera she says something like "What a douche, we have to start filming from the beginning".

- Another feature returning from Bloody Money: getting recorded on security camera and going to the security room to remove the tape

The 48hr 'one shot' contracts sound amazing. From the sounds of it, you get one attempt at the target during that two-day window. It'll be a new NPC introduced to an existing level, and you'll get a photo and have to locate him. So you could be looking through your sniper scope, knowing that if you muck the shot up the mark will flee, and that'll be it.

Details on day-one, DLC and pricing matters:

http://www.videogamer.com/ps4/hitman/news/hitmans_additional_story_content_and_locations_will_be_released_for_free_2.html

Basically, you pay full price for a chunk of game on day one, then all additional content will be available as part of that price over the next 12 months. No paid DLC, season passes or microtransactions. A boxed release will finally come once it's all complete at the end of 2016.

• Upvote 1

Ehh... that seems like a weird half-way house between a 'proper' release and an episodic model. I'd prefer it if you had the option to buy episodes or a season pass, rather than buying a full game without an ending, even though I would have inevitably bought the season pass anyway.

The game itself sounds superb, though.

Ehh... that seems like a weird half-way house between a 'proper' release and an episodic model. I'd prefer it if you had the option to buy episodes or a season pass, rather than buying a full game without an ending, even though I would have inevitably bought the season pass anyway.

The game itself sounds superb, though.

You'd prefer to wait another year or have the levels not properly play tested?

As games become more expensive, complex I expect more of this.

The good thing is you'll get the game sooner, bad thing is, if it doesn't sell I bet a lot of games won't get finished

You'd prefer to wait another year or have the levels not properly play tested?

As games become more expensive, complex I expect more of this.

The good thing is you'll get the game sooner, bad thing is, if it doesn't sell I bet a lot of games won't get finished

Nah man, I'd just prefer that if they're going to release it in chunks (of which I have no problem with), you could buy those chunks separately. Pay less for the first bit and buy the rest as and when it suits you, if you want to. Minimises the upfront risk for the player when it comes to forking out for something with an ambiguous release pattern, as we've seen with so many episodic titles before.

The only games I've been tempted to buy an upfront season pass for recently were Battlefield 4, Destiny and Life is Strange. BF4 I bought it for, and whilst the DLC was consistently strong, by the time the last pack came out a year later I hardly played the game at all and only played the maps a handful of times. After the beta for Destiny I was seriously considering getting the pass, thankfully I didn't because after a few weeks with the full game I'd realised how shallow it was, long before they'd even announced a release date for the DLC. Life is Strange, on the other hand, has done a pretty good job of sticking to its monthly release schedule so far, and it's kept the game fresh for me.

Hitman, with its large emphasis on contained scenarios and light emphasis on plot, strikes me as a perfect candidate to be carved up into chunks and released periodically as something to dip into and out of. It's just the idea of paying for the 'whole' game and only receiving part of it at the time strikes me as uncannily close to something like Driveclub; launching unfinished and getting the rest of the game patched in months later. Why not launch around £25 and then charge £10 for packs of extra missions instead?