rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Shedders

Hitman - Sapienza currently free to download!

I'd prefer it if he fucked off to an Antarctic research station. For a few decades.

Just give me a dozen or so missions in the style of Anathema/The Meat King's Party/Traditions of the Trade/A New Life, that's all I want. No overdone BIG STORY bullshit, none of that fucking 'spend a couple of missions sneaking around the Filth' rubbish Absolution pumped out. With the emphasis on 'pump'.

Just a dude with a particular set of skills, doing what he does best in whatever way you choose to. It's not rocket science!

• Upvote 1

On the one hand - Blood Money. On the other hand - Absolution. On the terrifying, Cthulu-esque third handlike appendage - Absolution's director's not involved.

In summation: hmm.

I'm surprised he went to Crystal Dynamics and not Brazzers given that nun mission.

• Upvote 6

Fucking hell, the nuns. I'd forgotten them. Pretty much every bit of Absolution's story was sub-grindhouse bollocks.

I don't think I finished Absolution. I got as far as the court room bit and then just lost interest.

I loved Contracts mode though. Genuine enjoyment in setting up challenges for people to try and beat, and in cracking the puzzles that someone else had set. Shame the whole disguise thing was broken ("I'm a chef at an outdoor market stall. I've just seen a chef who I don't recognise but he probably works on another stall or maybe he works elsewhere in the city and is on his lunch break. Never mind, I've called the police already and they're sending an armed response team to shoot on sight.")

edit: oh Christ, I made nearly the exact same post six months ago with the same complaint about chef's uniforms... my brain needs a reboot...

• Upvote 2

I'm surprised he went to Crystal Dynamics and not Brazzers given that nun mission.

Now they're letting him get his hands on Lara Croft, god knows how that is going to turn out.

Yeah the disguise system seemed to be the exact opposite of how it should work. Acting suspiciously by turning your head away and covering your face made your disguise work!

• Upvote 1

https://www.hitman.com/en-gb/news/announcing-hitman-

They're still saying all the right things about the actual game, but the delivery mechanism sounds odd. It sounds like you have to buy it digitally if you want to play at launch, and you won't get the full game straight up - it'll be drip fed over 2016?

We are building an expanding and evolving world of assassination. The experience will begin on December 8th and we will release new locations, missions and hits over time at regular intervals through 2016, which means well all be able to share in the excitement of a new content drop at the same time. Rather than unboxing a game, playing it and then thats sort of it, we want to deliver a true community experience - creating an ongoing and evolving game which plays out with a finale that brings the story arc together.

So it's episodic. Hmm.

I could be happy with an episodic hitman. No story, no cutscenes, no action sequences, just one sandbox level every 2 months.

I would happily take a game of the quality of Hitman: Blood Money in whatever form it were made available. If it is going to be episodic though I hope that a minimum number of levels is confirmed from the start, to justify splurging on a season pass.

The best games in the series barely focused on any kind of overreaching narrative, it was just a load of unconnected scenarios loosely linked by Diana supplying the hits or 47 flashbacking while bleeding out. Doing it episodically could actually work quite well.

Anything would be better than that last shitshow anyway.

That conceptual trailer shown during the PS conference kinda hinted at the right kinds of settings for assassinations, and for options for kills.

Catwalk level could be ace. Playboy at a busy party / mansion. Hiding a bomb in some guys suitcase.

I'm staying hopeful, I want it to be fucking great, man!

Have they said if it's still on the Glacier engine? Say what you want about Absolution but atleast it looked gorgeous.

That engine running on current gen hardware with the gameplay of Blood Money would be a dream come true - Please don't let me down IO!

Have they said if it's still on the Glacier engine? Say what you want about Absolution but atleast it looked gorgeous.

That engine running on current gen hardware with the gameplay of Blood Money would be a dream come true - Please don't let me down IO!

Yes, it is. The engine must have been developed with this new generation in mind. Around the time Absolution was released one of the art guys from IO even said that the last game was hamstrung by having to run on the previous gen. In terms of level size, at least. That's why some of the large environments had to be split out into zones, which was one of the game's major drawbacks.

I don't know why level size is a selling point - the levels in Blood Money were tiny, the bit that counts is variety and number of approaches, not how spread out they are.

• Upvote 2

I don't know why level size is a selling point - the levels in Blood Money were tiny, the bit that counts is variety and number of approaches, not how spread out they are.

Yeah, you're not wrong - A New Life is one of my favourite Blood Money levels and that was one of the smallest in the game.

A New Life stands out as being small but perfectly formed. Most of the others were much bigger. The important thing is that they were usually entire buildings with outside areas undivided by checkpoints. Not just sections of sewer or the other crap that made up most of Absolution.

Yeah, large levels aren't necessary at all, just nice for variety. Similarly to A New Life, there was a whole level in either Silent Assassin or Contracts where you go to a tiny suburban house to poison a Yazuka's sushi* and the whole thing was tense as fuck, making your way through such a small area without anyone knowing.

* Or just whip out the Silverballers and FACKIN' KILL 'EM ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

What's the business advantage for releasing this episodically? Presumably they are looking to gouge us for more money somehow? Or is it so they can get it out the door this year?

My favourite was that Carnival one where you had to dress up as a chicken, bearing in mind it was originally released on the PS2 - yet all those people!!!! I chucked a few remote mines and BOOM. Then ran to a building and waited for all the guards (and the targets) to come. Then ran out and massacred every other living thing out there.

Beautiful.

as for this new direction - as with all episodic games, I'm going to wait for the complete version to come out e.g. Dreamfall Chapters.

What's the business advantage for releasing this episodically? Presumably they are looking to gouge us for more money somehow? Or is it so they can get it out the door this year?

Well, one major advantage is that if it's a flop they can abandon it and limit their losses.

I could be happy with an episodic hitman. No story, no cutscenes, no action sequences, just one sandbox level every 2 months.

I'd totally be up for this, let them concentrate on what actually makes these games worth playing. You're a hitman, you don't really need motivation beyond 'go here, kill this person'. Make sure they're all cartoonish 'bad guys' (drug lords, arms dealers, whatever) and I can't imagine there'd be too much hoo-ha about a lack of a redemptive arc or emotional conflict or whatever. Maybe they could even redo some classic levels too if it proves popular.

Well, one major advantage is that if it's a flop they can abandon it and limit their losses.

This is my fear with anything episodic.

The cynical side of me thinks that they're making this episodic because they're not sure how well it's going to do. Word of mouth around Absolution was toxic, as shown by IO writing a letter not long afterwards basically apologising for the game.

Thing is, Absolution was easily the best selling Hitman game. They're taking it back to the core fanbase which is great, but Blood Money 'only' sold 2 million. Would a full Hitman game with the modern production values we all expect be worth it at 2 million sales? I don't know.

My fear is that they're testing the waters and if it doesn't perform as well as they hope, they'll cut back on their plans. Not outright abandon the game obviously, that'd be the death of them, but cut a level or three here and there and we'd be none the wiser.

on a different topic, I don't understand why Hitman needs a Beta. Just for the contracts type stuff?

I'd totally be up for this, let them concentrate on what actually makes these games worth playing. You're a hitman, you don't really need motivation beyond 'go here, kill this person'. Make sure they're all cartoonish 'bad guys' (drug lords, arms dealers, whatever) and I can't imagine there'd be too much hoo-ha about a lack of a redemptive arc or emotional conflict or whatever. Maybe they could even redo some classic levels too if it proves popular.

Fuck dumb canrtoonish enemies, that doesn't appeal to me.

One of the best bits of Blood Money was the subtle hints at the crimes your targets had committed, it wasn't always obvious, and that was so neat!

Fuck dumb canrtoonish enemies, that doesn't appeal to me.

One of the best bits of Blood Money was the subtle hints at the crimes your targets had committed, it wasn't always obvious, and that was so neat!

Blood Money did pretty much exactly what I've described, the targets are described in the pre-mission briefings as mafioso, gang members, paedophile ring organisers, drug lords, other assassins, violent racists etc. etc. It's not a huge point or anything, I was just pondering that without any sort of over-arching narrative motivation (which I don't think anyone who plays these games cares much about anyway) it's probably a good idea for them to continue along those lines since you can imagine the mainstream press grabbing onto it as a context-less murder simulator otherwise. Might help shift a few extra copies if they did, mind :lol:

Obviously that doesn't preclude depth and hints being added through notes/files/recordings/conversations/whatever during the mission and I'd hope that sort of stuff would still be in there.