Hitman - Sapienza currently free to download!

On 3 May 2016 at 3:12 PM, George Clooney said:

Regarding the virus, I thought that too at first, but there's an alternate way;

Hide contents

On one of my first, unsucessful (at the point of the virus) runs, I snooped around and found a terminal on the roof of one of the buildings that is pretty easy to get to, only has one person on there who's easy to kill (or activate the terminal while they arent looking) and the terminal activates a remote kill switch for the virus.  However, you need a USB dongle to activate it.  Looking next to it though, theres a note from someone who presumably has the dongle, saying they've gone to the church.  I actually trekked back to the church to see if I could find said person, but couldnt.  I noticed a body in the morgue dressed as a lab tech, and some people from the lab talking about the morgue being on lockdown due to Ether (and there are plenty of security guys outside).  No USB dongle to be found.  I go back, mess up and get killed.

I restart, and this time decide to head to the church straight away, in case it was something I'd missed the window for previously, and sure enough, see a woman in a lab coat enter the confessional.  Sneakily hearing what she's confessing for, sure enough she's here to see the dead lab guy (in fact, turns out she accidentally was responsible for his death), so before she comes out I run off to pinch the church key I'd found in my previous run through in a room by the side exit, then unlock the side exit of the morgue and sneak into where he is, hoping I can spot somewhere to hide before she comes in.  Initally, I was going to pop into the chest nearby, but then I notice that I can actually lie on the gurney on the other side of the room and pretend to be a corpse.  So of course I do.  I wait for her security to bugger off, and bam, she no longer has to feel guilty about killing him, and I get her dongle.

I then kill the 2 targets to look like accidents (exploding golf ball and electrocution), pop back down to the lab and used the dongle to kill the virus.  Then it's just a case of legging it to the nearby plane, which is fine because theres a pretty clear run to it.

Loads easier doing it that way.

I spent ages last night doing the same as you, searching around the church to no avail. She must have moved on by the time I got there. I wonder where she goes?

In a way it's good to know she doesn't get triggered by 47's arrival.  

I've not played Sapienza yet and although it may be a bit cheat-y and not playing Hitman properly, if it's a target you can put on the map notifications - I had to use that after completely losing one of my targets in Paris. I didn't realise and must have wandered about for a good half hour before realising you could even do that...

22 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can miss that one if you dont go close to the start of the mission.  I think it's a way to encourage you to do it "properly" the first time, or at least attempt to, but hint at something to look for in later ones.

I looked on the hitmanforum and there's a theory that it might've originally been something triggered by 47 entering the church which was switched to a timed event that kicks off at mission start due to the moaning about triggered events. In which case, they really needed to add something at the church location for after she's left to clue the player in. Two NPCs having a conversation about some smoking redhead in a labcoat who headed back towards the mansion or something :). But that requires new dialogue and scripting of course.

The sheer size and proliferation of opportunities in these maps has convinced that some stuff - usually NPC conversations - really has to be triggered by 47's presence otherwise it's just asking too much of the player. You'd have to play each level so many times through to uncover stuff otherwise. 

11 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I've not played Sapienza yet and although it may be a bit cheat-y and not playing Hitman properly, if it's a target you can put on the map notifications - I had to use that after completely losing one of my targets in Paris. I didn't realise and must have wandered about for a good half hour before realising you could even do that...

I think that's fine. Until a couple of nights ago I was playing with instinct on, which lets you see where they are at all times. I realised I was relying on it a bit too much so I switched it off, which feels a lot better. I imagine playing a totally new level with no instinct is quite daunting though.

I was trying to be hardcore when I first played it and turned mini map and everything off, I think the first time I actually managed a level, (after dying a lot first) my level completion time just read LOL

5 hours ago, Pob said:

In which case, they really needed to add something at the church location for after she's left to clue the player in. Two NPCs having a conversation about some smoking redhead in a labcoat who headed back towards the mansion or something :). But that requires new dialogue and scripting of course.

This actually happens! If you search around the harbour area, you'll find a couple of chaps discussing a distraught woman who accidentally killed her colleague... Granted not right next to the church, but that only rewards the exploration even more :)

Ha, well it certainly adds a new twist knowing you've got one chance - it makes you very risk-averse! I spent 51 minutes searching around (the target isn't marked on the map) and when I did eventually locate him was prepared to wait an age for my plan to execute.

Obviously, don't read this or watch the video if you don't want to know anything about the Elusive Contract:

Spoiler

I searched the guy's office, as suggested by Diana, but didn't find anything. I smashed the precious vase outside his room, but nothing happened. I spent 30 mins searching the dusty upper floor, dodging around the numerous enforcers. Nothing. Eventually I found evidence of some art forgery occurring on the first floor next to the sheikh's suite. There was a poisonable glass of wine next to one. Aha! I'd collected two vials of rat poison on my travels. So I spiked the drink and posed like a bodyguard. For ages. Eventually I got bored and scoured the nearby rooms, clearing a member of the waiting staff who was loitering around just in case he was a future witness.

Eventually I heard nearby dialogue and the target suddenly walked across the room with the poisoned wine in. Where did he come from? No idea. It did seem suspiciously like he suddenly spawned as I was staking out the area pretty well. So I watched him dither around his painting, the fireplace, listened to him moan about his wife and go between his two rooms. No sign of him taking a drink. He seemed to be about to repeat a loop, so I decided it was time to act. It was very quiet in the room, just the target and his bodyguard. A very low risk hit. Still, I wanted to do it as quietly as possible as I couldn't risk a shootout with such high stakes. After all that build up this is how it finally went down:

Is the target in Paris or Sapienza? (I haven't played the latter yet - head very much turned by DS3 - and I don't think I'll have much time this weekend to get to know it first.)

Unsurprisingly I made a total arse up of the elusive target.. Involved an unfortunate incident on a drainpipe and ended in a disastrous shootout on a stairwell.. Having missed the opportunity to drop a chandelier on the targets head.

... Mission failed! 

13 hours ago, Pob said:
  Hide contents

Eventually I heard nearby dialogue and the target suddenly walked across the room with the poisoned wine in. Where did he come from? No idea. It did seem suspiciously like he suddenly spawned as I was staking out the area pretty well.

Yeah, it looks an awful lot like this is the case which is a bit shit if so.

Like you, I looked around for the best part of an hour, must've looked in pretty much every room in the house at least once and was in that room multiple times. I was starting to think it had bugged out or something. Then I thought I'd hang around in that room for a while and he just magically appeared.

I'd knocked out the auction staff guy beforehand and also poisoned the wine glass but since he went out onto the balcony I thought I'd live dangerously and knock out his bodyguard while the target was a couple of feet away, before getting the old fiber wire out and stashing both bodies. I didn't get much of a score (85k I think it was) since I was getting increasingly careless just trying to find the guy and accidentally killed someone getting one of the uber disguises for the second floor when I was trying to choke them out.

I had a pretty similar experience with it as you guys. Kind of disappointing in a way. Ah well. Quite glad I didn't stump up for the entire game really. I'll probably get the disc release eventually when its all finished and after it comes down in price when. 

From reading the Hitman forum no-one else complaining of dodgy spawns. In fact it seems like the guy roams far and wide across the map. Given how the rest of the game works (every NPC is present and active on the map from the start, no matter where the player is) I think it's probably solid.

I loved doing the contract, though. It's a superb idea and they put loads of effort into creating a proper new target with his own dialogue, activities and assassination opportunities. Can't wait for the next one!

I just wandered around near and through the room where he I eventually found him a bunch of times. Then he suddenly appeared there and I garrotted the guard and shot him in the head. 

It's definitely possible it was bad luck and me walking out of rooms just as he walked in or whatever. It did look a bit dodgy though, I was actually looking around in the direction he came from with instinct and it really did seem as though he suddenly materialised with his silhouette showing up just as he got to the door.

That's good if they actually do wander about loads, even though it adds a pretty large element of luck. It would've been a bit too easy if you'd got a location hint in the briefing and they were just hanging there all the time.

21 hours ago, Pob said:

From reading the Hitman forum no-one else complaining of dodgy spawns. In fact it seems like the guy roams far and wide across the map. Given how the rest of the game works (every NPC is present and active on the map from the start, no matter where the player is) I think it's probably solid.

I loved doing the contract, though. It's a superb idea and they put loads of effort into creating a proper new target with his own dialogue, activities and assassination opportunities. Can't wait for the next one!

Yeah, he really is one free range motherfucker. Figured he would be up in the loft and was up there within two minutes of starting the damn mission. Ended up having to run around looking for his arse for the next 15 after waiting another two for him to show up.