rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Davros sock drawer

Meatopia

I've never seen someone wearing mustard chinos and crocs together before.

A truly awful sight that I had almost erased from memory. I actually had a part 2 post with the rest of the dishes I ate but browser crash has led to it being lost to the ether. I'll try and post it some time before the next Meatopia. The lack of buns on Sunday was kind of a godsend, as all the buns are supplied by Millers and are brioche buns. They're nice but often a heavy sweet claggy load of untoasted carbs (not worth the effort of toasting them when they are trying to cram as much meat onto their grills) that often masks the tastes of the other elements. But they are great for burgers.

So yeah last night, loads of places sold out early so we ended up with leftover Meat Bucks, bit annoying.

Honest Burgers' beef kebab was my fave, followed by the 'CINCO JOTAS PRESA IBÉRICA' from Pizarro, and Hawksmoor's Reuben burger.

Yep, that was my second favourite too:

C875E015-90B0-434D-85BD-4DFA0B1FDBA4_zps

My favourite was the Tomahawk steak though. Just an amazing, buttery texture, and a subtle smokiness. I ate mine and immediately rejoined the queue for another go:

AC9EE2EF-4C34-47BC-AC6F-8217F0FD10F5_zps

I'd had a bit of a stressful start to the day this year. I was driving, but staying overnight in Whitechapel, and finding somewhere to park was a nightmare. The big car park didn't do overnight parking, so I had to find a side street.

By the time I joined the queue my friends were all inside and texting me reports of initial disappointments (a burger apparently being cooked from frozen!). I'd eaten nothing all day, but went straight to Craftopia to de-stress from the drive. Good selection of beers but over £4 for 2/3rds of a pint meant we switched to Frontier for the rest of the day (and later Southern Mules).

I then wolfed down a Korean Lamb Rib which was excellent. No pic, too hungry. Good start though. Then so went for the Lamb Sweetbreads, as I love all things Offaly and Sweetbreads in particular. These came in a wrap with some lovely smoked garlic and almonds. It was nice, but very rich, bordering on sickly.

0BB43B35-5703-4609-B7D4-BB5D39D54C43_zps

61989335-2D37-40E7-A03A-2280F6CC8F91_zps

I then moved on to the queue for a 'Fistful of Cow', and had a Bleeker Burger while I waited. The burger was nice, like a posh MacDonalds cheeseburger. Nice and rare in the middle, nothing amazing but you could quite happily pile them up and eat them all day like Wimpy in Popeye:

EECF5209-956B-4EDA-A37F-923D7B6AC1B3_zps

The 'Fistful of Cow' was nice too:

96E0C60F-A252-46AC-8E86-BB8055B2BBF2_zps

64413810-9E97-470F-84D9-29C2F879C506_zps

As usual, 4 dishes marked the point I felt full, so we did the usual wandering about band watching and drinking. A bit later we got hungry again and had the Herdwick lamb, which had a really nice dusting of peppery substances:

0ADE9B47-7004-401D-ADAB-2D978438E77D_zps

After that I tried the Slow cooked Pork with Fennel Hot Links. This tasted great, but the pork crackling was inedible and the flatbread wasn't needed. You got two little slices of the fennel sausage, which tasted great, but was over in a flash. I'd rather have had a whole sausage and nothing else.

3BACDBA8-6C15-46D3-A367-8BBE21EACE35_zps

Finally I had the aforementioned Tomahawk x 2, and the Pizarro dish. That was my 8 Meatbucks done, so I bought 4 more, but in the end I split them with my three friends and we had Ice Cream. 

Didn't like Jazzie B's DJ set so we hung out in the Southern Comfort bar until towards the end, then went out in a couple of pubs in Whitechapel, which was a bit shit, but at least we could undo our top buttons and just chat.

I don't know about you guys, but I think it's gotten too popular. The atmosphere later on was of a standard meat market disco, ironically, and was bordering on lairy at times. Some of the food was still great, but my mates were more disappointed in that regard. I might just go on the Sunday next year, as it's nicer earlier on when families etc are about.

• Upvote 3

I tweeted them to tell them that as far as I could tell, the multi storey car park they were advertising for people to use was not open in evenings or weekends. They didn't reply and afaik didn't amend anything. Bit shoddy.

It was enjoyable enough but I don't think I'd bother going back. Probably spent £150 in total only to have to use meat bucks on a £10 G&T because virtually everything was gone 2 hours before it officially shut.

We really liked it, but haven't been previously so can't compare.

It was great till about 6pm, then places started selling out and it was wet outside, and all felt a bit like the end of a crappy exhibition. We hadn't anticipated places selling out, which though understandable (with hindsight) was a bit rubbish given the meatbucks purchasing process. 

I spent eight meatbucks and also had two of the fatties brownies, which were awesome. As mentioned on the day, the USDA brisket was so, so good. Best by far for me, though everything I had was good.

We sat through a couple of the workshops, which were good, and also offered some awesome BBQ freebies.

I'd definitely go again.

• Upvote 1

Yes, certain things always sell out. The usual pattern is:

• Eat about 4 or 5 dishes immediately upon arrival
  • Feel stuffed
  • Drink for hours
  • Feel hungry
  • Oh shit, amazing looking dish X is sold out
  • Eat less amazing dish Y
  • Drink

Wish I'd tried the Brisket. Any pix?

Also we should have at least said hi. Next time.

I did actually keep an eye out for someone looking how I vaguely recall you looking from past posts, but nobody I saw tripped my "Ah, that's Davros!" sensor.

I was useless with photos, so here's a brisket I found online (the photo doesn't do justice to the lovely gooey sludginess of the bun, caused by being slathered with bone marrow butter):

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Miner Willy said:

I did actually keep an eye out for someone looking how I vaguely recall you looking from past posts, but nobody I saw tripped my "Ah, that's Davros!" sensor.

I was useless with photos, so here's a brisket I found online (the photo doesn't do justice to the lovely gooey sludginess of the bun, caused by being slathered with bone marrow butter):

Ah, so that was the Brisket. I saw people clutching those and wondered what the chillies were like.

Going again this year - 5th year running. 

We got it all a bit wrong last year, so this time we're not staying over and I'm just getting the train instead of driving. We've also booked a slot at the private Big Green Egg tasting experience where you get a roped off area with sofas for 30 mins while they cook you stuff to try. No idea if it'll be worth it, but it's something we haven't tried before.

Anyone else going?