rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Davros sock drawer

Meatopia

Meat! I really really want to go this year.

Did you notice from the last time you went any annoying people taking tiny babies along too?! I might have to be one of those guys.

Well it's a fiver for any serving of food. So I'd say reference the pix in either of the past threads and ask yourself how many of those you would be likely to eat.

The bundles are all sold out anyway, so we've just got entrance tickets. I think I will probably buy 8 meat tokens straight away, which gives me 8 portions for £40. Then I'll see how I get on.

The bars are just cash.

Meat! I really really want to go this year.

Did you notice from the last time you went any annoying people taking tiny babies along too?! I might have to be one of those guys.

I asked about going with a baby last year (can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) and the consensus was it was a bad idea because of all the smoke.

Not really, it seems to be mainly an adult event. Not that kids wouldn't be welcome, but it's incredibly smokey.

But congrats!

Thanks! :D

I asked about going with a baby last year (can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) and the consensus was it was a bad idea because of all the smoke.

And thanks to you too! Website does say kid friendly but I didn't consider the smoke at all. Oh well, really should have made the effort last year!

Well, there is a big outside area by the river:

F609B827-C038-4072-838B-E98782172FEF_zps

And inside it's on two levels:

D4DA65D5-D5DD-4CC6-BECC-A7C30F39E6D7_zps

The bottom level is very dark with lots of alcoves, a bit like Jabba's Palace. So that was the smokiest bit. But the upstairs has no roof.

So you might be fine, although I don't think I saw a single child either year.

• Upvote 1

*Sigh*

Not sure if I'll be able to go as a punter this year as I might be roped into manning one of the grills. But I'll definitely be trying to do both days in some capacity this year as there isn't going to be as much overlap as previous years.

I can't wait.

I haven't eaten meat since I was about 8 years old and think I might as well go full vegan with only really needing to cut cheese out of my diet, but I'm fascinated by meat. Looking at it, soaking it in, always being happy to cook it for others. Truly epic post there Davros. If I had an alt account I'd log in on it just to pos it again.

• Upvote 1

Awesome write up! So jealous! One of the things I'm most excited about to manchester for is easy access to almost famous!

It probably was too much for an 8 week old to be honest. I managed to get to the London Pizza Festival the week before so I was happy with that. All the pizzas really needed more meat though!

I think you'd be fine when they're a bit older.

I wish I could go to it every weekend. I keep looking on their Twitter Feed at all the things I missed. Like this Smoked Shortrib Sandwich:

E4E2B781-30D2-4D1D-A251-3B4C5AACF830_zps

Or this Poussin cooked in bamboo:

CPRyHKLWsAA5uHX_zpswlerbuou.png

Or this, which was called 'Fistful of Pigs':

CPRdjKMWEAA4qIM_zpsbylrtelp.jpg

Oh God, I'm so hungry now...

• Upvote 2

Sorry for the late reply Davros, I ended up going on Sunday as I was working elsewhere on Saturday. It was my first time doing a Sunday and the vibe was very different, a lot of hungover chefs. I got there early and made my way through 15 of the 21 dishes below along with some choice pickings from the cutting room sessions, namely some reindeer heart sashimi (fruity, silky and refreshing) and the amazing lamb belly with grilled cucumber that Tomos Parry did (a classic from his time at Climpsons that is a mainstay at Kitty Fisher's).

2CUbY8M.jpg

Didn't do the 3 pork (don't eat pork), the smokestak brisket (had it many times before), the jerk chicken (got a taste of the sauces and they weren't worth the effort) and I didn't bother with the Almost Famous burger (they did it two years ago and it was mediocre then).

So I started the day as I meant to go on, with a delicious plate of Duck Hearts with Apple & Kohlrabi (I took a terrible picture of this so i'll to link to one from twitter:

CPWhsNcWsAAeWJo.jpg

zHG81BS.jpg

Then I headed to grab the most intriguing dish on paper, Duck Wings. The flavours were good but you realise why people dont bother with duck wings, there isn't much meat, it's a chore to eat and the texture of the meat isn't the best.

xq7FjKo.jpg

e8rKPep.jpg

To round out the poultry trio I went and got the Kai Yang, Thai style grilled poussin (usually chicken) with nam chim sate. It was great. Moist, flavourful and really well balanced.

CKbiIuQ.jpg

XRwU9A6.jpg

After that it was time to hit the red meat, first up was the venison with smoked potatoes. The shoulder was delicious, possibly the best venison I've ever had. Conversely the liver was overcooked and tough. The potatoes were a great accompaniment.

U8f8foX.jpg

b5PpRnk.jpg

Next up was Lamb Chop with Lamb Fat Hollandaise, baby gem and tomatoes. The chop was well cooked, good quality and paired well with the Lamb Fat Hollandaise but the real star was the really well balanced salad that finished the dish nicely.

fnuHkKV.jpg

F0qHag2.jpg

I ate the beef three ways while catching up with a few people. It consisted of a pre-chopped tartare was mush, a good bit of air dried beef and a reasonable piece of short rib nearly redressed the balance but overall it was disappointing for such a hyped chef from Spain.

CPWXHFQWEAA5pA1.jpg

The chatter led to me being thrust in the direction of Uri Navon (who runs The Palomar) who was doing Shikshukit (a deconstructed Israeli kebab of minced beef and lamb paired with multiple highly flavoured sauces) which was just the ticket to reawaken the taste buds and break up the full on protein. The mango pickle was a highlight.

3cHy25L.jpgwEVPENn.jpg

onRrH6N.jpg

Seeing Mutton on the menu, I had to jump on it. Sadly I wasn't rewarded, the dish consisted of fairly dry poorly seasoned mutton which was overpowered by the super sweet coleslaw and a pointless brioche bun (which I promptly fixed by tossing the crown in the bin).

eAg7HLv.jpg

tdC4W9d.jpg

JNg2hmk.jpg

• Upvote 5