Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

Hmm so not sure where I need to go now - just beaten the ODK which seems to lead to a dead end. The only other path I have is blocked by a fog wall where a message tells me that

I need to be a bearer of a doll or something

before I'm allowed past. 

Just unlocked the tower at FS as well and that seems to be a dead end too -

went up to the top and got the Firekeeper Soul, then down again and found a passage into the roof of the main FS building and some treasures - but no path onward

Anyone like to point me in the direction of where I should be heading?

7 minutes ago, Spainkiller said:

EDIT: Quick question for those who have beaten both games! Which fight was harder for you: this game's AW or Bloodborne's DLC's Lady Maria?

Neither of those for me. I tend to struggle on really large bosses, like Paarl. In this game it was any that you managed to beat and then their health regenerated. Or any fuckers with one-hit kill ability, fucking hate that in ANY game.

AW was tough but I could always see it was possible. Unlike the final boss in this.

the fact that it knows your normal fighting technique and fucks with it. The attack/roll/dodge trick doesn't really work, because the bastard pauses at the point you start to do them and then attacks when you come out of it!. It was also hit you if you didn't bother to roll!

Hmm. Admittedly it's early days but I'm blowing a bit hot and cold with this. Probably doesn't help that I recently finished the FK and CoC stretch - two areas that seem relatively uninspired.

I've been thinking about what my problem is with this and once again I think it's the abundance of bonfires and the ability to warp between them. With this has come the realisation that we're potentially never again going to have the same experience as the first half of DaS1. I loved the fear and dread of moving further and further away from the original firelink, the context of the world and the knowledge that you couldn't just warp back to safety. I remember planning and making epic journeys across the world, fearful of every enemy that I'd once faced previously.

DaS3 feels different. It's a hard game but I don't feel the same sense of dread now. Dying has little consequence, I just charge back into the level again from the relatively safety of the most recent bonfire. Many times I've been surprised to find a bonfire or shortcut so soon.  Only once have I ran out of Estus and been desperate for a checkpoint, that was in the CotD which seems to be a high point so far. Otherwise it's now a pure yardage game, to the point where it's a viable strategy to rush through and reach the next bonfire before then mopping up in reverse.

To be fair, that was equally true of Dark Souls. It just didn't feel like it, because it was the first. The first bonfire you reach in Undead Burg is no distance at all from Firelink, and nor is the next one in Undead Parish, or indeed the one under the Dragon. You could totally have run through the level and found the next bonfire, in fact I'm sure I did exactly that a few times in Dark Souls 1, clearing the area in reverse.

Yeah, I'm sure that some of is true. It was the first and I'm simply better at these games now, but just going through the next area IotBV and there seems to be checkpoints everywhere. I think it's more the mental thing of knowing that you'll not have to revisit a stretch once through it because of the warping. It takes away the fear for me at least.

2 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

EDIT: Quick question for those who have beaten both games! Which fight was harder for you: this game's AW or Bloodborne's DLC's Lady Maria?

Just done AW, took about five or six attempts mainly due to the apparent pot luck element of the first phase. Sometimes they fought among themselves a lot but a couple of times they all just made a bee-line for me.

Lady Maria went down first time for me on NG+, I was actually a bit disappointed because it was a really great fight. Ebriatas and to a much, much greater degree Ludwig were the twats for me in Bloodborne. I tend to be fine with humanoid type bosses for some reason, maybe because they're easier to read?

TDK down - really liked that fight, pretty simple but enough fun stuff to skip in and out of and watch out for.

Liked that whole area - went pretty quickly from "EVERYTHING IS BULLSHIT" to "I AM A KILLING MACHINE". Got enough weapon materials to level up loads of weapons as well (well, the 'normal' ones anyway). 

Just doing the Sunbro national service, it is a lot of fun and I'm getting summoned within seconds of putting my summon sign down.

Amazing how aggressive and cavalier some summoners seem to be and there have been quite a few "summoner has died" messages.   :D

Seen some very interesting spells.

So I found a bit that is melting me for the Lore implications

Spoiler

An identical dark Firelink shrine, after a suped up repeat of the first boss?

Is it the past? The future? The present and proof of the cyclical nature of things? The names on the thrones are the same, though.

Plus the shrine handmaiden is different, if it's not my imagination. Just what? I await Enb and Vaati discussing this at length

Also something else occurred to me about the Boreal Valley

Spoiler

Anor Londo covered in snow? Plus you find the Dark moon girl that seems related to Priscilla. Did the Painted World leak through?

33 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Really enjoying ID. It's a better version of Tower of Latria from DeS, and has just opened up to reveal a stunning vista that really reminds me of somewhere else.

Yeah its a great area with lots of jump scares & laugh out loud ambushes, however it contains one of the very few "cheap" areas and I'm not sure exactly what FromSoft were thinking. :D

Generally I've been quite impressed with the lack of "cheapness" in DS3 and even the crystal lizard placements have been pretty good, unlike in Dark souls 2 where every one of them seemed to lead to an ambush or a gravity death.

I saw a great illusionary wall this morning (in the new ENB vid), that led to more ash, which led to the compound bow becoming a purchasable item (as well as Titanite shards).

Having watched his thorough DS1 play through, there's no way I'd figure out even 20% of the quest lines. I'm happy to go through this game and just do what I can. Same with the lore, I'm not that fussed as I don't get half of it, or how it links to the other games. I'll catch it all later, for now I'm happy to enjoy the game for what it offers. And for me, it offers a great deal of enjoyment. 

5 hours ago, Andy XC said:

Yeah its a great area with lots of jump scares & laugh out loud ambushes, however it contains one of the very few "cheap" areas and I'm not sure exactly what FromSoft were thinking. :D

Generally I've been quite impressed with the lack of "cheapness" in DS3 and even the crystal lizard placements have been pretty good, unlike in Dark souls 2 where every one of them seemed to lead to an ambush or a gravity death.

Which bit is the 'cheap' bit? 

I'm a bit frustrated as I want to respec.. 

Spoiler

But my hot-gross covenant lady is dead! :( just need to figure out where to get revenge..! 

Anyone struggling with a boss but wants to do it "pure" without summoning a phantom - put your sign down to learn the boss' behaviour and patterns. I spent an entire night helping on bosses last night and have come out of it 100k Souls richer, loaded with embers, and pockets full of SunBro medals. Even that branchy bastard that was giving me trouble solo was a walkover after spending time as a Sunbro.

9 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Really enjoying ID. It's a better version of Tower of Latria from DeS, and has just opened up to reveal a stunning vista that really reminds me of somewhere else.

That is a fantastic area.

The health draining enemies with the brands are some fantastic design and the shortcuts are very neat.

I'm unsure which part of it was the cheap bit @Andy XC refers to though..

Also, Aldrich. So close! He's going down in a few more attempts I think.  

Spoiler

That rain of arrows in his second form is brutal! Especially if you end up far enough away to trigger big purple fireballs of doom(tm). 

Also, lore-wise. 

Spoiler

Doesn't he look an awful lot like Gwyndolin? Hmmm. 

Can anyone explain what summoned Phantom No1Sunbro is equipping in this screenshot, so as to appear non-human?  (Spoiler if necessary).  He was just so unusual.  There is reference in this shot to a late boss name (but not form) if you are hyper sensitive about those things.  At the end, he seemed to transform further and just emitted a huge roar of flame out of his dragon's head...  Anyway we made a good team.

Spoiler

Edited by Cosmic_Guru