IGNORED

Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

@Mike S

I partially agree with that, but at this stage in the game I feel like things have joined up more than folk are giving it credit for. And I've been back through previous areas loads, and will be again based on what it seems I've missed.

Perhaps I should reserve judgement, but at this stage I feel far from funnelled:

Do I go into Ithryll Dungeon? Or push on past the boss of the Ithryll of the Boreal Valley? In Sunken Lake I've got a big sand worm thing to take out, a weird giant crossbow bolt thing shooting at me, a boss, and another side path with fire casting mage things. Maybe I should go back and do the bit I missed in Cathedral of the Deep? I'm spoiled for choice.

Now none of that is comparable to the genius way everything from Firelink shrine up to Sen's fortress links up in DaS, but it's not linear. It's just not. And also, they've kind of done that, right? People (not you Mike) seem to want to have their cake and eat it - "Oh no, it doesn't link up like Dark Souls! Oh no, it's too much like Dark Souls!".    

The more I play the more I like the way they've constructed the world. In fact all 5 games in the series have their own feel in that regard, which is pretty cool I think (and you must still play Demon's Souls after this Mike!)

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

@KartoffelKopf

Dammit, I wondered why that lift seemed a bit pointless.

I need to level up my eyeballs.

Not to rub it in but it is a really smart set-up. 

I found one of them before the other and as their quest line is connected, there is a bit of a 'hang on a minute, what's going on here' moment. I wasn't expecting what I got though. 

Listening to Bonfireside chat, the guy who finished it said that he looked up all the quest lines in a guide as they are just so convoluted it would be almost impossible to even accidentally see them all. 

Ive messed up most of them in all the Souls games and it hasn't really soured the experience so I'm just going to roll with it. 

Hmm, I've just been invaded by a dark spirit in the main hall of the CotD, so I've run back to the bonfire to go and level up before facing him, but I'm getting no option to rest at the bonfire. What have I done?!

You can't rest if you're being invaded. Or save. 

You could be cheeky an scoff and ember and summon someone. No idea if that infringes PvP etiquette though. 

I've alternately been a member of Way of Blue and Blue Sentinels and that is great fun for fucking off dickhead PvP invaders. 

3 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I partially agree with that, but at this stage in the game I feel like things have joined up more than folk are giving it credit for. And I've been back through previous areas loads, and will be again based on what it seems I've missed.

Perhaps I should reserve judgement, but at this stage I feel far from funnelled:

Hide contents

Do I go into Ithryll Dungeon? Or push on past the boss of the Ithryll of the Boreal Valley? In Sunken Lake I've got a big sand worm thing to take out, a weird giant crossbow bolt thing shooting at me, a boss, and another side path with fire casting mage things. Maybe I should go back and do the bit I missed in Cathedral of the Deep? I'm spoiled for choice.

Now none of that is comparable to the genius way everything from Firelink shrine up to Sen's fortress links up in DaS, but it's not linear. It's just not. And also, they've kind of done that, right? People (not you Mike) seem to want to have their cake and eat it - "Oh no, it doesn't link up like Dark Souls! Oh no, it's too much like Dark Souls!".    

The more I play the more I like the way they've constructed the world. In fact all 5 games in the series have their own feel in that regard, which is pretty cool I think (and you must still play Demon's Souls after this Mike!)

I think we may be looking at different things. Each level is indeed a fat, branching design, but they pretty much all constrict to one exit and one entrance, with the occasional dead end thrown in for good measure. I mentally picture the overall map as looking like a snake that has eaten a dozen (or whatever) watermelons. There is no reason to revisit areas other than, as you are, for completions sake or under NPC instruction (which is something that I admit to not having paid much attention to). 

This has not harmed my enjoyment of the game at all as the levels are some of the best, and certainly the most consistent, of the series but it is certainly less satisfying than the inter connectivity of the first half of DaS. The combat remains as rewarding, challenging and enjoyable as ever, if not more so.

My biggest gripe reamains the abundance of bonfires and the warping (but those are a design resulting from the world linearity) as there is far less tension in the game now. Safety is always so close therefore there is little to be lost in pushing on.

8 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Not to rub it in but it is a really smart set-up. 

I found one of them before the other and as their quest line is connected, there is a bit of a 'hang on a minute, what's going on here' moment. I wasn't expecting what I got though. 

Listening to Bonfireside chat, the guy who finished it said that he looked up all the quest lines in a guide as they are just so convoluted it would be almost impossible to even accidentally see them all. 

Ive messed up most of them in all the Souls games and it hasn't really soured the experience so I'm just going to roll with it. 

I haven't paid attention to any quest lines as trying to keep up with them is very tricky. 

Which is probably why I have such a small crew back at the Shrine now :(

13 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

@Cosmic_Guru @Goemon Regarding Greirat...

Reveal hidden contents

If he hasn't turned back up after you've killed PS, then he's dead. You'll want to find his ashes to give to the Shrine Maiden. They're at...

Reveal hidden contents

The sewer below the Kitchen just back from the Manor Bonfire, in the far corner.

If you want to know why he died...

Reveal hidden contents

It's because you probably haven't saved the Onion Knight from the well just outside the Cathedral of the Deep. 

Since I messed up the whole OK quest, I'm screwed.  No more super duper arrows  (or cheaper embers, not that they are particularly rare so far), for me.  Just proves the point - buy this NPC shit whilst you can, or potentially miss out in future.

36 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

You can't rest if you're being invaded. Or save. 

You could be cheeky an scoff and ember and summon someone. No idea if that infringes PvP etiquette though. 

I've alternately been a member of Way of Blue and Blue Sentinels and that is great fun for fucking off dickhead PvP invaders. 

I just went and kicked his arse. He was easy in the end. I don't know why I was worried.

Speaking of NPCs. Some sultry lady appeared at Firelink talking about how we shouldn't fraternise, but since I've been back she's gone. What was that all about?

5 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

@Davros sock drawer

It was near where you meet the covenant. Did you not find that? It's the respec one. 

I could see this mage-like enemy through my binoculars that I hadn't met and was determined to find him. Spent about an hour trekking back and forth across the area. Finally found a sneaky ladder that opened up a whole new bit. 

Tip to finding the ladder

Hide contents

From the chapel bonfire you have take the lift up to where you come up against that fire sniper in the window near where you run across the rooftops?

There's a little ledge out the window to the left. 

@KartoffelKopfJust realised I've been here. There's nothing up here except a bell and a drop down back to an earlier part...

A bell? Don't remember a bell. Did you go through the gap and get on to the rafters in the main hall? There was about 3 of those heavy Knights up there. One of whom was a crossbow sniper. 

If you drop down, you have to fight about 8 of those slug dudes. One of them dropped the red sign soapstone. Presume that was a guaranteed drop there. 

The covenant was just through the next door. There's a bonfire in there too. 

29 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

ODK is a bit of a prick.

First boss I've not beaten in the first 5 attempts. And in quite a few attempts I've not even landed a hit.

Particularly annoying because I nearly had it first time out.

On 19/04/2016 at 9:13 AM, Kauwiks said:
  Hide contents

Get a torch. When you're covered in maggots, take it out for a second, and they fall off.

I was able to burn them off with the pyromancy flame early in the game and it hasn't worked since. No clue why it worked the first time or why it has failed to work since but it definitely worked once. 

On 19/04/2016 at 9:13 AM, Kauwiks said:
  Hide contents

Get a torch. When you're covered in maggots, take it out for a second, and they fall off.

I was able to burn them off with the pyromancy flame early in the game and it hasn't worked since. No clue why it worked the first time or why it has failed to work since but it definitely worked once. 

20 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I'm not even sure we're talking about the same place.

Hide contents

I found Siegward. The well is just to the right outside the Cleansing Chapel front door

Do you have to do something to activate him? I've been there, but he's not around.

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

I think we may be looking at different things. Each level is indeed a fat, branching design, but they pretty much all constrict to one exit and one entrance, with the occasional dead end thrown in for good measure. I mentally picture the overall map as looking like a snake that has eaten a dozen (or whatever) watermelons. There is no reason to revisit areas other than, as you are, for completions sake or under NPC instruction (which is something that I admit to not having paid much attention to). 

This has not harmed my enjoyment of the game at all as the levels are some of the best, and certainly the most consistent, of the series but it is certainly less satisfying than the inter connectivity of the first half of DaS. The combat remains as rewarding, challenging and enjoyable as ever, if not more so.

My biggest gripe reamains the abundance of bonfires and the warping (but those are a design resulting from the world linearity) as there is far less tension in the game now. Safety is always so close therefore there is little to be lost in pushing on.

There are a load of places where killing the boss gives you a bonfire, then you walk for a little bit and there is another bonfire at the start of the next area. Dark Souls 2 did this; Dark Souls, to the best of my memory, didn't. Sometimes it didn't give you a bonfire at all and just opening a shortcut back somewhere earlier. To me that smacks a bit of the areas being developed in isolation, then pasted together later in development, rather the world being designed from the ground up. I also kinda get that vibe from the area layouts

Spoiler

The Road of Sacrifices / Farron Keep is obviously meant to be Darkroot Forest - there are a load of references - you can find the Grass Crest shield, the Wolf Covenant,  Dusk's Set along with what appears to be Elizabeth. So the fact that Undead Settlement, a clear callback to the Parish is above it, kind of makes sense. But how is Anor Londo below it, past the Carthus Catacombs? It's like they tried to go for a sort of ruined Dark Souls 1 world, with things in roughly the right place, then gave up.

The other thing is - yes there are several points where you can take branching options. But you'll get there by warping, not running back and opening shortcuts etc. That kills the sense of place, and the familiarity you have with each area. I can probably map most of DS from memory. Not sure 'll ever get that here.

Which is a shame as the individual levels are generally very well mapped out.

1 hour ago, BedroomBusinessman said:

Up to TNK, any tips for the second phase? 

Try and bait the flying lunge. That's when I found he was most open to being smacked. That said he does occasionally follow it up, with some hugely damaging electric slash, the massive cunt.

1 hour ago, kensei said:

The other thing is - yes there are several points where you can take branching options. But you'll get there by warping, not running back and opening shortcuts etc. That kills the sense of place, and the familiarity you have with each area. I can probably map most of DS from memory. Not sure 'll ever get that here.

Which is a shame as the individual levels are generally very well mapped out.

Yeah, that's a more succinct summary of what I was trying to say a few posts before the one you quoted.  If FROM had been able to interlock these individual areas in the way that they achieved so well in DaS (and Bloodborne for that matter), and allowed the player to negotiate them without warping, it would be truly spectacular and a whole lot more rewarding. I wonder if these more discreet areas are simply a time saving solution?

Speaking of bonfires, I would love to see a temporary bonfire type kit. One that allows the player to set up wherever they like (right outside a boss door for example) before being stamped out and packed away for later use, with only one allowed at any time. It's not so much of a problem in this game but a long trek to a boss has been a slightly tiresome chore in previous games so it'd be nice to offer a way to bypass that drag..

Having fun in the GA area with yet more (purple magical) blasts from the past.

Impossible not to think this is more accessible in a number of ways-

Frequency of bonfires

No need to repair weapons or armour

Gem bugs more or less stand still for you

Curse isn't as debilitating

Generally lighter tone - nothing as dark as Blight town with those viscous snipers, or frog central, or the inky depths of the catacoombs

Gargoyles neutered

Second boss isn't Capra