This is such an incredibly rich, generous and deep game. You can spend an entire night putting your sign down and helping with bosses, then the next night you've switched covenant and you're invading and pillaging and ruining people's lives, the night after you're pressing forward with the adventure, maybe summoning help yourself, meeting a new boss, finding a game-changing bit of kit. So many ways to play it and explore. Even if a boss has brickwalled you there are options and ways to continue playing.

Found two secret areas totally by accident last night, opened up an NPC questline, killed AW (that fight is going to be a sticking point for a lot of players) and had a nose around in the area after the AW fight. Tonight I'm going to do some laps of the early levels to grind for STR. Like Dark 1 I can already feel the maps of the levels seeping into my memory and becoming as familiar as places I know in RL. Can't wait to revisit some old faces tonight now I have my fire infused club to introduce them to.

33 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Even if a boss has brickwalled you there are options and ways to continue playing.

No,  there is only one REAL way to continue playing. 

Spoiler

GIT GUD. 

(winky smiley) 

As a newcomer to the Souls games I must admit that I found the linearity in the early stage of the game a good thing. I think in a game like this where progress is hard-earned it's kind of important to know that you're heading in roughly the right direction. I'm much more likely to want to explore an area thoroughly if I know that this is the area I'm supposed to be in, and that with my current abilities I stand a fair chance against the enemies. I can't think of anything worse than dying tens of times trying to get access to an area that I'm not supposed to be heading to yet.

Anyway this is particularly topical for me as I've just completely RoS (which I really enjoyed, especially exploring the ruins and then ...). I'm now at the FK/CotD crossroads, and to be honest even after playing Bloodborne and the start of this I find the freedom I suddenly have somewhat overwhelming. These areas both seem huge and quite complicated and so I'm resorting to suicide running them to get a feel of where looks more interesting. If you have played many From games before, or them through multiple times, then maybe the linearity is disappointing. But I think it's sort of essential if you want to broaden the appeal of these games. Most people don't have the time to play NG+ or things like that, and so people need to be able to have a rounded experience in the one play through they do have.

17 minutes ago, John0 said:

Oh, just did HLW. I guess there was a trick to it! :)

Reveal hidden contents

Was it just to hit his rings then? Seems a bit... anti-climatic. No second phase?

Edit: Fucking hell that view!! Breathtaking :wub:

Exactly that.  Which is why I found it to be such a poor boss. By anyone's standards.. 

22 minutes ago, Jackson said:

Quick question regarding upgrading weapons, if I spend shards to get it to like +3 and then later infuse the weapon, does the weapon start afresh or keep the +3?

It keeps the levelling... 

3 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

Because, first of all, it wasn't even Ornstein! It was just a guy wearing his armour.

The Old Dragonslayer's armour looked cracked and dull, and he wasn't fighting with lightning, but with poison and dark. His inclusion said something about how long ago it was that this armour was worn properly; it said something about Drangleic's relationship with Lordran. But most importantly: it was a surprise. It was unexpected. It was optional. And it was the exception to the rule, whereas stuff like Andre in DS3 is one of the MANY ctrl+c/ctrl+v moments in a game that really shouldn't consist of those.

Again: I'm not saying that these games shouldn't be paying hommage to their predecessors. I'm merely saying that it shouldn't be these games' focus. The Old Dragonslayer's a good example of a powerful nod to a previous title, partially because it's the only direct nod like that.

If you're interested, Miyazaki said this about Andre appearing:

Spoiler

That although the fossilised blacksmiths in the first game only looked like Andre to indicate that they were blacksmiths, he's since decided that he likes the idea of a long family line with the ones holding embers in DS1 being that Andre's ancestors and this one from DS3 being his descendent.

I really like the evolution of the Ornstein character as well:

Spoiler

I like the idea that the version from DS1 was an illusion, then the one from DS2 was a fan wearing his old armour. We find in DS3 that he was originally trained by the firstborn, and likely left seeking him. We find the classic Ornstein armour behind him because that was what he looked like in his youth, and in the memories of people who knew or saw him. But in reality we find that afterwards he likely lived on, and grew stronger in his own right, eventually leaving behind the Old Dragonslayer Armour that we see in DS3. Until now, the versions of him we saw were based on a man who was still human, whereas here we see that he grew into a powerful lord in his own right. This is the first time we've ever actually seen Ornstein, not the illusion or memory of him that we've been shown up until now.

So, my DBV experience.  Of course, being mediocre, I got done by the hand grab the first few attempts (contortionist or what??), gradually learnt to be more patient and to avoid that mishap, so regularly if slowly reached second phase.  Struggled again to spot the safe openings in the second phase because too far away to take advantage.  So, I conceded defeat, summoned and almost did it first time with a pyro who did massive damage whilst I nipped in at the back.  Unfortunately he died or we probably would have succeeded.  Then I had a very strange experience - successfully summoned two golds (that rarity!) who I reckon must be a pair and had exploited some glitch or the other - one tanked and seemed totally immune to damage, the other simply chucked some ranged or magic attacks in and the job was done.  I stopped attacking entirely when I saw what was happening.  Of course it was a cheap as chips victory, but I reckon I can compensate for that by helping others out in future.

Three bosses down today.  One solo, one co-op legit, one co-op cheese.  

3 hours ago, Spainkiller said:

3) I'm not talking about a game repeating its own boss fights, especially since all the Asylum Demon boss fights were all harder than the previous versions and kind of suited the world. I'm talking about creating expectations by putting the player in iconic locations and then not being able to live up to the expectations made by using said locations. Dark Souls III uses fan service really weirdly, and as a buildup instead of a payoff. To use the MGS4 example again: they let you go back to Shadow Moses. Woah, MGS 1 flashbacks! But then right before you think "is this it?", they let you fight Metal Gear RAY... AS METAL GEAR REX. It's fan service done disgustingly well, and I get goosebumps just thinking about. DSIII tries to do the same thing - a few times! - and just... falls flat!

Spoiler

You see I just disagree with that, I loved the way both games handled similar situations, and felt that they fitted the game's differences perfectly. I didn't assume it was going to be as good as the original events that happened there, I was just interested to be there again and see bits of it. The first part, finding the place through a side route was really similar, but DS3 get's a point because knowing the original game let me find a little secret there. After that though, MGS pummels you with the differences that have occurred there, emphasising the time that has passed, then goes for the big fan service "I always wished I could do that" ending. That fits MGS. I don't expect or want that from Dark Souls, seeing the place, now in disrepair but always abandoned, with the remnants of more horrible things that have happened there, that fits in my mind.

IoftBv is the best area yet:

It looks fantastic, like a cross between Frozen Eleum Loyce and Castle Cainhurst, but seems better designed and more interesting to explore than both. It also gets off to a scary start with that big Wolf thing, so I'm creeping around very gingerly in case something else springs out.

I just don't want it to end. What are we going to do after this is done with? Going to be a long wait for the DLC...

29 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Fucking damn it.  NPC at RoS and FS spoiler

Hide contents

Orbeck, the sorcerer, has gone. I just googled as to why, and it turns out he fucks off permanently if you defeat four bosses after recruiting him without giving him a scroll.  

I have not come across a single scroll in my playthrough.  Turns out I've just missed them, and because of that, I am now locked out of buying any decent spells for the rest of the game.

That's fucking shit godawful game design. Way to punish the player.  

Is this your first souls game?

15 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

No, but I don't recall anything as downright game ruining as that happening in DS1 or BB.

Really? I don't think there are any games in the DS series where accessing decent magic isn't something awkward you could easily miss. The difference here is that multiple NPC trainers mean you can still access some magic if you've messed it up.

But as an example, aside from the crown of dusk, all of the high level sorcery gear and best spells are tied to Logan's questline in DS1. So if you missed the wall that he's behind at Sen's you'd miss him entirely and if at any point you messed up his quest you'd be locked out entirely.

I've had 6 NPC's at firelink who sell various types of spells. Not really tried a magic focused build yet so not 100% sure on where they came from or when because I'm only talking to the pyromancers.

Are all the spells in DS2 not hidden behind awkward shit that you couldn't possibly figure out first time? Isn't almost everything in all the games hidden behind awkward shit that would be impossible to work out without help?

4 minutes ago, Broker said:

Are all the spells in DS2 not hidden behind awkward shit that you couldn't possibly figure out first time? Isn't almost everything in all the games hidden behind awkward shit that would be impossible to work out without help?

Playing Dark Souls for the first time right now and that sounds just like the game I'm playing.

Lol,  love me a good. LeChuck meltdown. 

Mate, of course what's happened to you is harsh.  But imagine you were playing blind.  With no Internet access.. It wouldn't have stopped you, would it?  You'd have thought "fucking weird"  and carried on. Apply that thinking and continue.  You can respec if you really want to.  You still have access to spells through Yoel / that woman.  You'll find them (or maybe not, you seem bad at exploring.. WINK).  You'll make them from boss souls. You've hardly crippled yourself. Hell, your int is probably high enough that your Pyromancy would be pretty mean. 

Just be grateful you haven't pissed off Andre.. 

Have you been rushing through it? It seems like you should have explored more. I picked up 2 or 3 hidden around the swamp, not long after I'd met the dude who I promised to get them for. Saying that though I am taking my time. I am going through every area numerous times to make sure I uncover every secret, every hidden path and room and so I have a good spatial awareness of where I am at all times.

I find these games are best savoured, rather than devoured as quickly as possible.

You can probably get high level sorcery from boss souls but at the end of the day you promised the sorcerer that you would get some scrolls and you didn't. :P

I actually like the fact that NPCs do things like this as it gives the illusion that they have a life too, this was great in Dark souls 1.

In all Souls games I always buy stuff as soon as I can because you never know.

I've had an odd NPC turn up at Firelink -

Spoiler

Can't recall her name, but she said something like us being on the same path and that we should not fraternise. Then she was gone the next time I went there.

Watching ENB, he has had different dialogue triggers from the crestfallen knight - which I haven't had despite doing the same stuff. Now (another NPC spoiler) - 

Spoiler

Leonard has just given him a key, yet for me, he's still reeling out the same dialogue, about invading.

For me, at this moment, it's the perfect combination of Dark Souls world with Bloodborne speed. I was never that fussed on the lore, that's what ENB and the like are for.

I did find a scroll for the Pyro guy,but no idea where it was. I just noticed that another NPC at firelink also requests something similar, so that could be something to watch out for if there's the chance they can disappear without it - 

Spoiler

The firekeeper you rescue (or failed firekeeper) mentions she is blind, so needs a Divine Tome written in braille. 

Oddly again, I have not myself had that dialogue from her but in the video I just watched, he did.

@Goose re: Leonard:

Spoiler

He changes dialogue - I presume - when you have some of the purple tongue items in your inventory.  You get these by invading, or by finding a few throughout the world.  I guess ENB had some, and you don't.