Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

9 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Awesome evening's play tonight.

Butted my head against the AW for an hour or so, but it just wasn't clicking. Can do the first half fine now, but haven't got my timing down for the second. I always get caught by his follow ups.

I was stuck on AW for ages, as each hit from the second phase would deplete half my health and usually leave me empty wby the time I got him down to a quarter left..

After finally beating them I realised that I could level the bonfire up which meant that I could refill the health bar with one and a bit instead of three and a half flasks! I put it down to a) bad memory and b) a reluctance to use anything that I pick up in case it is something I need later..

4 hours ago, SuperMBo said:

Started properly on the CoD last night - this is my first Dark Souls game (platinumed Bloodborne) so whilst some of you old timers may say the bonfires are too generous you better believe I was happy to unlock a shortcut back to the bonfire after that fight across the rooftops. That was great.

Quick question - how do I get rid of maggots? Blocking a fire arrow got rid of them but that seems a bit extreme - is there anything I can do to myself?

That was the level that really started to get things right for me, especially with regards to the bonfires which are that bit harder to find and get to than the overly generous previous levels.. 

Would anyone like to give me a pointer in the right direction?

I've killed the AW Boss(s) and finished up the next area - 

So I've finished the Catacombs and beaten the Big Skeleton Boss. I'm now At the starting Bridge of the night-time snowy town (Gorgeous view)..

Can't remember the name of the place. 

When I cross the bridge, I get clobbered by the big Crocodile-Dog and can't pass because I don't have a Doll! 

No idea where I get the Doll and currently looking for areas I've missed but no idea. 

It's interesting to be in at the start with a Dark Souls game, in terms of some of the "community" reactions.

Watching ENB for example (who is now quite far behind me) it's interesting to see him applying his knowledge of how the games work (looking for the "right" run back to a boss that he knows must be there for example, or seeing how much poise an enemy has) but also getting frustrated and impatient. "Whaaaat? Can't you backstab these guys?". I'm not sure but maybe the HUGE PLANK OF WOOD shielding their back suggests you can't?

Similarly, the Bonfireside Chat guys (Gary mainly, as he's finished it) were talking about how linear it is (not a bad thing though, they say). Personally, and I'm not that far in, I'm not finding it linear at all. Although you do get flown or warped to areas, some of them have looped back on themselves, and individually the areas are very non-linear indeed, especially somewhere like UC which has multiple ways you can tackle it. 

So yeah, interesting to come to this as less of a n00b this time and hear how the Souls "establishment" are finding it.

Wow, started this properly last night after running through the tutorial area on Sunday, feels like home! Spent a good few hours exploring the first area, getting the Destiny muscle memory out of my system (lost count how many times I took a swig of Estus after killing an enemy) and decided to down the first boss before bed. Job done, summoned a Sunbro to help since it was getting late and he was as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, dying within 10 seconds of the fight starting. I managed to grind it out, even had enough Estus left to "reload" afterwards :rolleyes:

So tempting to look up a wiki and see if I've missed anything but I must resist!

26 minutes ago, Mike S said:

I was stuck on AW for ages, as each hit from the second phase would deplete half my health and usually leave me empty wby the time I got him down to a quarter left..

After finally beating them I realised that I could level the bonfire up which meant that I could refill the health bar with one and a bit instead of three and a half flasks! I put it down to a) bad memory and b) a reluctance to use anything that I pick up in case it is something I need later..

Yeah, I've messed up here. I foolishly levelled up the FS bonfire, and I've only found one thingy to do it with. So if I want boosted Estus for the fight I have to warp to FS each time. I noticed in Uzi's vid that he had Estus +2, which must help. Anyway, it's one of the reasons I abandoned them for now, and I'm glad I did as it turned out I'd somehow completely missed a boss, and I've also levelled up a bit now. I'll have them next time, as my tactics were pretty much identical to Uzi's. Same clobber too!

Actually, at least I'll have +1 Estus every time I leave FS after levelling etc, won't I? That can't hurt.

Got to PS last night, an incredible, super dramatic, boss although maybe not quite as hard as it initially seemed especially after I stopped trying to be clever and use skills I don;t really have.

That said, it's defeat left me with the old DaS shaking relief as the tension drains away.

Great, great boss.

Um...you boost your Estus at Firelink Shrine (it's the only place you can burn the iten)- but Iyoudon't think you need to go back there to get the boosted healing.

For some reason it says "Bonfire Level" there (which meant sometime different in previous games, and could happen at any bonfire), Any bonfire will refill you Estus "properly" once you've leveled the Estus Flask up..

Once you've given your Estus shards to Andre you'll always have one more "use" of Estus.

Once you've burned the bone shards in Firelink Shrine you Estus will also increase a level (+1, +2 etc) and recover more.

Think I'm rocking 11 charges at +8.

5 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yeah, I've messed up here. I foolishly levelled up the FS bonfire, and I've only found one thingy to do it with. So if I want boosted Estus for the fight I have to warp to FS each time. I noticed in Uzi's vid that he had Estus +2, which must help. Anyway, it's one of the reasons I abandoned them for now, and I'm glad I did as it turned out I'd somehow completely missed a boss, and I've also levelled up a bit now. I'll have them next time, as my tactics were pretty much identical to Uzi's. Same clobber too!

Actually, at least I'll have +1 Estus every time I leave FS after levelling etc, won't I? That can't hurt.

I think that is the only bonfire that can be levelled isn't it?

I'm now at +5!

EDIT: what @Hexxsays. Each bonfire applies the boost after the FS fire is stoked up...

Oh blimey, if that's right then I wasted an awful lot of time warping to and fro last night! :lol:

Actually that's cheered me right up. I'll definitely do them tonight then. I think I've got 9 Estus uses, but only on +1.

I think I was getting confused because in DaS1 different bonfires give you different Estus refills depending on whether you've kindled them or not.

1 minute ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Thanking you most kindly! 

Hide contents

Crystal Sage Boss? hah! I seemed to have sauntered straight past all of that! 

Good to know that the RoS is where I should investigate! :D

Vagueish hint where to look

Swampy bit (before the ladder down to Poison wWorld

CotD and it's really kicking into gear now. I was a little bit worried that souls fatigue was setting in during the first few levels but all that changed last night.

The huge interior section of CotD had me quivering with fear so I ran into a room to face a knight who seemed to buff himself and I couldn't get the measure of him at all and so I ran onwards into the next room and faced a new kind of fresh hell.

Couple of minor things - it's a bit annoying that you have to go back to Firelink Shrine just to change the ratio of Estus flasks. There are some times I'd like more healing and some where I'd like more blue ones considering I use magic a fair bit. Changing them simply at a regular bonfire would be helpful. Also repair powder seems kind of worthless now given that items seems to repair at any bonfire. 

Anyway, that aside, I've been enjoying it and made some decent progress yesterday. Think I've pretty much rinsed US and killed the boss after about 15 goes. It wasn't actually that difficult, I would just often get caught up in the spin move it does and die instantly. The magic shield seemed to help a lot in terms of blocking that move.

I cheesed the enemy just before RoS by firing magic at it through the doorway as I could barely even last 10 seconds one on one. Felt a bit cheap but attacking enemies through gaps they can't fit through is a time-honoured souls tradition by now.

Didn't manage to get to the second bonfire in RoS. I kept getting to a bit when about 4-5 of the enemies over a bridge attack at once and I would just get battered every time. I couldn't really figure out the role of the enemy that fires the purple mist. I thought it might be like the catacombs in DS1 where if you kill that one they all die, but it doesn't seem to work like that. So tonight my main concern will be how to draw those enemies out one by one rather than being mobbed.

2 minutes ago, Majora said:

. I couldn't really figure out the role of the enemy that fires the purple mist. 

Beyond the mist, their cry seem to "activate" everyone in the nearby area. Kill them first or you'll be quickly mobbed. I think

7 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Um...don't? I just legged it past them each time.

As have I, but there's one in FK area guarding a big cluster of loot, and it's slap bang in the middle of some deep poison sludge. I'd like to turn him into Shippams Crab Paste if at all possible.

I guess I could just fire arrows at him until he buggers off.

21 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I hit the Giant Enemy Crab with my Longsword :)

Like actually... just the usual, roll or block it's attacks and try to move round its arse and whack it. 

Did you kill it though, or did it escape? Cos I was doing fine like that (on the ones in shallow water at least), but then it buggered off.

I suppose just having a +5 weapon will help I guess. I'll try and off them tonight. I want to see what they drop as much as anything else.

11 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

As have I, but there's one in FK area guarding a big cluster of loot, and it's slap bang in the middle of some deep poison sludge. I'd like to turn him into Shippams Crab Paste if at all possible.

I cleared all that loot without killing any of the giant crabs,  just running in,   rolling through the deeper water, grab the loot and run away.

They were too much like hard work at the time

11 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

So that crab in the poison swamp with the loot. Does anything in the environment look... different? Have you met anyone that gave you something that reminds you of it?

In general, they'll burrow if you go back to land or out of their territory, but should stay to fight otherwise. Basically, it's just roll to avoid the attacks and wait for an opening. Do not get greedy, they hit very hard and it's possible to aggro multiple which is a very bad idea.

I'd advise killing the two in the forest, as well...

I've killed two (the one near the poison dropped a shield I think as well). Killed that one by kiting him back to a ramp and doing drop attacks. The other cornered me under the castle / fort where you fight the boss. I shot him with about 30 arrows.