rllmuk
Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

27 minutes ago, John0 said:

Occasionally boss names can be huge spoilers, take GtfH, for example.

What`s that one then?

Just now, SharkyOB said:

No it isn't, that character is never referred to by that name until the boss fight starts. 

..except for in item descriptions. :D

9 minutes ago, Hellcock said:

It is a statue, yes. Maybe that's what it's for. Hmm. Seems like a proper trek to get there..

Ahhh. Minor spoilers about the area

I'm struggling to follow your directions - the first bonfire could  be a few things - do you mean the one right by the entrance?. There's a couple in there after the entrance- both aren't too hard to find.

I'm not entirely sure how you go to the statue (did you have a key).

You've passed two potential routes/bonfires if you've got there and unlocked the door....'

The next bit tells you where one of them is

After the main square from the entrance bonfire-  head right over the bridge and through a barn like thing. There's some doors to open - and then a bridge to cross to wear some dudes through fire bombs. Before you cross the bridge, look down to right. See the path? Drop and follow it

I don't know whether to get this or not. I adored bloodborne, finished it, got the DLC, and currently stuck at the Orphan thing at the beach (cant remember the name).

Will I love this?

4 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

I don't know whether to get this or not. I adored bloodborne, finished it, got the DLC, and currently stuck at the Orphan thing at the beach (cant remember the name).

Will I love this?

OoK!

Yes you'll love it. 

So I've never used raw before in any of the souls games ...

Am I right in thinking that in this one, it removes the benefits of stat scaling - meaning that the weapon doesn't get more powerful as I level up any more, except when it is upgraded?

But in return, it gives it a boost in base damage - so basically it's good for low levels but gets more useless (compared to other weapons) as I get stronger?

Is there any sort of established cut-off point (stat wise) where it becomes pointless to use raw weapons?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Will I love this?

Of course you will.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

Reveal hidden contents

There is one further lever but you can't access that until you are in the upper levels...

So there's only two levers for now, I'll have to go back & have another look in that case.

I raised the two bridges using the levers I've found, went up to the top level but it looked like I need to raise a different one to get across to the other side. Maybe I've missed something obvious.

No further hints needed at this stage.

Thanks.

Just now, ph0rce said:

Hide contents

So there's only two levers for now, I'll have to go back & have another look in that case.

I raised the two bridges using the levers I've found, went up to the top level but it looked like I need to raise a different one to get across to the other side. Maybe I've missed something obvious.

No further hints needed at this stage.

Thanks.

Good luck....

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Hellcock said:

It is a statue, yes. Maybe that's what it's for. Hmm. Seems like a proper trek to get there..

There is a shortcut

Spoiler

Buy the Grave Key from the handmaid at Firelink. That opens the gate in the sewers near the dilapidated bridge bonfire. It's a short jog from there. There is lots of other lovely loot down there too. 

Chances are you'll never need it. A need for absolution generally comes from people dropping their pads on the R2 button when they go up to an NPC

11 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Will I love this?

It's very similar, but very different. There's more playstyles (with magic in various forms)

Shields can be a bigger thing (depending on playstyle. Dodge/Parry still a thing)

Some of the mechanics (particularly heals) are different (and IMO better).

The story/lore isn't as interesting as BB, and is on a very dffierent topic. Not as well presented IMO either.

There's no reason you shouldn't love it - it's the same basic gamestyle - but there are notable differences to.

3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Am I right in thinking that in this one, it removes the benefits of stat scaling - meaning that the weapon doesn't get more powerful as I level up any more, except when it is upgraded?

But in return, it gives it a boost in base damage - so basically it's good for low levels but gets more useless (compared to other weapons) as I get stronger?

Is there any sort of established cut-off point (stat wise) where it becomes pointless to use raw weapons?

That seems to be it

Haven't seen any numbers about when (if?) scaling weapons outperform it due to either stat numbers or scaling.

My Raw Longword +3 was good for a long time though - up to AW certainly. I only switched to a different weapon due to preference rather than lack of competitiveness.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

OoK!

Yes you'll love it. 

That's the one - I keep trying to bro-op him, but I no one ever joins.

As for DS3, I think I will have to make a purchase at some point.

5 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

There is a shortcut

Hide contents

Buy the Grave Key from the handmaid at Firelink. That opens the gate in the sewers near the dilapidated bridge bonfire. It's a short jog from there. There is lots of other lovely loot down there too. 

Question for @KartoffelKopf

How do you get there without going through the gate? Seemed like too long a drop to survive....

4 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

No, not an 'established' one, you'll just kind of know when it stops doing enough damage. Generally it seems to be good for getting you through the early part of the game so you can have a viable weapon and put more points into vig and end. 

Have a play about with all the weapons, decide which one you like best and then when the raw weapons starts to be less effective start upgrading your chosen weapon and putting points into the relevant skill (dex/str etc). You can upgrade a raw weapon but it won't be as good later in the game as one that is upgraded AND scaling properly. 

What early game weapons are people using?

I'm up to the CRGW at the end of US, and I've not upgraded anything yet. 

Been enjoying the Deep Battle Axe so I might level up to use this massive greataxe that I have found. Also toying with the Claymore. 

1 minute ago, Hexx said:

Question for @KartoffelKopf

Hide contents

How do you get there without going through the gate? Seemed like too long a drop to survive....

Not sure what you mean by big drop. I didn't have any noticeably high drops.

Spoiler

I just went into the sewers, killed the rats, up the ladder and opened the gate to the bonfire from the inside. The gate that is opened by the grave key is in there but it's only a small drop. Plus it has a ladder so don't think that's it.  

2 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Been enjoying the Deep Battle Axe so I might level up to use this massive greataxe that I have found. Also toying with the Claymore. 

Bastard Sword at +4 but as usual kind of regretting it. Does good damage but it's a slashing weapon and I wish I had a pokey one. I'm going strength so I'm holding out for an Estoc (which was scaled with str in DS2) as my off-hand quick weapon and then I'll likely go with an ultra greatsword later in the game when I need some heft. 

Just now, Anne Summers said:

I'm not sure on numbers across the board, but I can tell you that for my bog-standard longsword, which is at +6, with my Str / Dex both at 20:

Standard: 176+57 = 233

Refined: 158+85  = 243

Raw: 222

Heavy: 165+68 = 233

Sharp: 163+80 = 243

So even at this stage, Raw is only marginally worse off.  You're probably looking at scaling stats at about 25-30 to see a big difference. 

28 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

For Quality Claymore all day or the red handled halberd is relatively early on as well. For STR Vordt's Mace or the Greataxe you can farm from the hollows at the high wall. Uchi for Dex I guess, though I'm toying with the idea of trying to access some super cool gear earlier on.

13 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

I think I already found that greataxe. When do you get to use boss souls?

Spoiler

You get an item from the third boss (big tree) that you can give to an NPC at firelink

2 hours ago, Broker said:

Again, I don't think anyone is suggesting that names which spoil surprises should be openly discussed. That's what a spoiler is.

Using an acronym to describe the Abyss Watchers when their name is in the opening cutscene is absolutely stupid and serves no purpose other than making the thread harder to read and appeasing a very vocal minority who want everyone else to discuss the game around their ridiculous concerns about never having heard the names of things they don't understand before.

Well, seen as it's out in the open, that there's a boss(s) called The Abyss Watchers.. this is obviously pretty spoilerific because - 

If anyone has played DaS1, they will know about Artorias The Abyss Walker - one of the best boss fights in that game - and The Abyss Watchers are really, really similar to the Artorias fight. 

This whole game feels like a send off and end to the series, so it's full of call backs to the original game. 

58 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

That's the one - I keep trying to bro-op him, but I no one ever joins.

As for DS3, I think I will have to make a purchase at some point.

I'll coop him with you tonight if you like.

4 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Well, seen as it's out in the open, that there's a boss(s) called The Abyss Watchers.. this is obviously pretty spoilerific because - 

Hide contents

If anyone has played DaS1, they will know about Artorias The Abyss Walker - one of the best boss fights in that game - and The Abyss Watchers are really, really similar to the Artorias fight. 

This whole game feels like a send off and end to the series, so it's full of call backs to the original game. 

Sure, but you SEE the Abyss Watchers in the opening cutscene. 

4 minutes ago, dood said:

Sure, but you SEE the Abyss Watchers in the opening cutscene. 

Also, there's

giant thrones

in Firelink Shrine, each one with the name of the boss who it is related to on the back ( if you press X ).

I'm all for abbreviations & spoilers for most things but getting wound up about that seems a bit too far.