Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

AW is *finally* down. Quite possibly the worst boss battle I've ever won. I missed nearly every dodge and kept double dodging into fire. It was only my good first phase, a mid-way ember, and frantic back-flipping followed by healing (oh and special mention to the estus ring!) that got me through. That's Souls though I guess! Replay is here if anyone fancies a watch:

something i have literally just learnt, i dont no if its been mentioned, but in FK on NG+, as you wont have the items before, but if you equip two items its a lot easier.

regen ring and regen sheild togethor sto you gettign poised, your helath still goes up as they stack

jsut sat here like *facepalm*

I can't seem to do much damage to the CRGW so I went for a wander along the RoS. 

It's quite a tough area. Still haven't upgraded any weapons yet. The commitment is scary! 

Using the frosty sword. 

US is massive, but I think I've cleared it out. Found my favourite shield from DaS1 too. 

Think I should try the CRGW again. Not sure I like the RoS area. It's huge but seems a bit all over the place. 

18 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Abyss Watchers can eat my dick.

Honestly - just watch the video I posted on the last page. Strat

Spoiler

The first part of the fight is free if you want to conserve Estus/healing for the second phase - they'll keep each other busy in the first bit letting you get away and choosing when to engage. You can also take this opportune time to apply buffs or just throw taunts out. The second part you just dodge and block until you see an opening and then you go for a combo and back off again.

Tell a lie - basic staff +5, Heratics +6, CSS +7

32 Int, same enemy - basic staff does notably more damage. (Weapon Art just seemed to enhance the difference)

VIdeo - spoiled as location, items and how chuffin' sexy I am

It's really odd. If I'm not missing something - I'm assuming the new staffs will over take a higher reinforcements or stats, but that's a huge investment to out perform your starting item.

Awesome evening's play tonight.

Butted my head against the AW for an hour or so, but it just wasn't clicking. Can do the first half fine now, but haven't got my timing down for the second. I always get caught by his follow ups.

So I went farming in HWoL, US, then RoS, and levelled up my stats, my Estoc, and my shield. Went back to RoS. Ooh, what's this bit, don't think I went here before...whaaaa? A boss?!

So cool.

Decided to grind the 20k souls for the tower key by co-oping at VoBV but every fucker who summoned me took me to the other boss on the other side of the courtyard. Great boss but I don't stand a chance currently. 

Got the 20k in the end and totally worth it. Couple of great items in the tower and I finally killed that fuckface Uchigatana chap. Bastard Sword weapon skill is flipping amazing. 

Got to the first (second?) bonfire in in RoS and finally back on track after a couple of nights fannying around talking to NPCs and co-oping.

9 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Irithyll is really pissing me off now. Those ... fire ...casting ... knights ... are ... so ...  slow.  And you have to wait for them to come to you because of the other enemies he's with.  This game is starting feel cheap now, where in Bloodborne it wasn't.

Early Irithyll video below:

Reveal hidden contents

How did it know I was there? It's the fucking tank from Uncharted 2 all over again. <_<  Shit, lazy, cheap game design.

Yep, this is not as good as Bloodborne. It's not fit to lick its boots. 

What a crock, mate.  It's not cheap! Nothing is cheap -  the rules are fair, the game isn't  'cheating'.  

Sounds like you need to play it a bit more like Bloodborne. That's why that area is a step up, you will have more success imo if you step up your own aggression. It's tough, for sure. But that way I approach that fight is by

Spoiler

Taking out the fire casters first. Just run at them, they're really slow. Up close the only threat is the throw, to which -  so long as you're not mashing R1 - you can react with a roll. Two hand and get in their faces! The little lackeys are slow enough to avoid if you keep moving.  Buff with anything you have spare to help you two shot the small ones. 

The enemies in that area all have piss poor poise (ie they flinch really easily). Don't get me wrong I hit a wall against those guys too.  Took me a good half hour to discover aggression was key.  But measured, don't mash R1, don't get greedy, don't use lock on, so you can control the camera to keep eyes on the others.  

TL;DR 

Take it to them! You feel like a boss when you nail it.

Don't give up! In short praise the sun. 

Re your video. 

Spoiler

I appreciate that seems cheap, but it's just a rule you didn't know.  Line of sight means jack in this aside from initial aggro, and a timeout of aggro if LoS is broken for a set duration. Enemies continue to attack even when you cant see them (all enemies, you just don't notice the sword swings! Have you ever noticed an archer keeps firing at you sometimes?) for a few seconds before de-aggro happens. 

That's what happened here.  Just happens his attacks erupt beneath you. So you've learned that now : hiding round corners doesn't work on those guys. Don't do it again! 

8 hours ago, Mentazm said:

Area after the PS boss is a massive jump in difficulty, not helped by constant invaders making co-op impossible. Then of course there's two of those crocodile cunts down at the bottom.

Yeah tried playing through here with a friend last night. Constant invasions. You see off one or more likely a pair of invaders and another arrives when you're still all fucked up from the previous fight. 

I like invasions. I like the idea that someone can invade your game when it is potentially the most inconvenient to you. It adds to the brutal nature of the games.

But there needs to be some balance between making it tougher for you, and making it literally impossible by throwing a never ending stream of cunts at you while you're also trying to deal with those fucking archers, the fire ball throwing mages, and the aforementioned two crocodiles things. 

7 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

@dood Thanks for the tips. I still feel that enemies overly cheap (I don't recall anything like that in Bloodborne, or DS1, but it's been years so...) 

But I'll have another crack tonight. I spent most of tonight farming those first three for the souls. I made the mistake of putting points here and there into too many different stats.  So my characters average at most things but amazing at nothing. 

You can re-spec by joining the finger covenant. On the roof of the cathedral. 

Had a man enjoyable short session last night. I managed to beat (cheese) Mr Uchigitana at FS, and then found the 100% physical damage shield. 

Ive still only had one attempt against the first proper boss (after the tutorial boss), so he's next on my hit list. 

I I need to have a quick farm first so I can upgrade my new weapon to +1 raw

I do miss the Bloodborne sidestep though. Properly implemented, it would make some of the combat feel

/look amazing. 

Started properly on the CoD last night - this is my first Dark Souls game (platinumed Bloodborne) so whilst some of you old timers may say the bonfires are too generous you better believe I was happy to unlock a shortcut back to the bonfire after that fight across the rooftops. That was great.

Quick question - how do I get rid of maggots? Blocking a fire arrow got rid of them but that seems a bit extreme - is there anything I can do to myself?

1 hour ago, dood said:

What a crock, mate.  It's not cheap! Nothing is cheap -  the rules are fair, the game isn't  'cheating'.  

Sounds like you need to play it a bit more like Bloodborne. That's why that area is a step up, you will have more success imo if you step up your own aggression. It's tough, for sure. But that way I approach that fight is by

Hide contents

Taking out the fire casters first. Just run at them, they're really slow. Up close the only threat is the throw, to which -  so long as you're not mashing R1 - you can react with a roll. Two hand and get in their faces! The little lackeys are slow enough to avoid if you keep moving.  Buff with anything you have spare to help you two shot the small ones. 

The enemies in that area all have piss poor poise (ie they flinch really easily). Don't get me wrong I hit a wall against those guys too.  Took me a good half hour to discover aggression was key.  But measured, don't mash R1, don't get greedy, don't use lock on, so you can control the camera to keep eyes on the others.  

TL;DR 

Take it to them! You feel like a boss when you nail it.

Don't give up! In short praise the sun. 

Yeah that stretch of the game is teaching you the merits of disrespect. The enemies at the start are scary if you let them do what they want to do, but they've got fuckall poise and you can just go in on them. 

The very presence of a caster makes that clear anyway. You don't fight ranged with range unless you know it's a contest you're going to win, just get up in their faces and be done with it. 

Tried co-op with a mate last night and was very impressed to find it worked perfectly using the password system despite him being 30 levels higher than me.

Instant summons, unlike when we tried chalice dungeons in Bloodborne, with no lag.

He said he was doing much less damage so I assume it scales to my lower level.

Managed to beat a very tough optional (at this point) boss twice, once in his world then switched.

Ended up with enough souls for 7 level ups!

41 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

Started properly on the CoD last night - this is my first Dark Souls game (platinumed Bloodborne) so whilst some of you old timers may say the bonfires are too generous you better believe I was happy to unlock a shortcut back to the bonfire after that fight across the rooftops. That was great.

Quick question - how do I get rid of maggots? Blocking a fire arrow got rid of them but that seems a bit extreme - is there anything I can do to myself?

Hint - Fire near you gets rid of them you say? Interesting...

Full answer

Equip a Torch

Shrine Maiden will sell you one. You might already have been using it to light you way. 
I have one  (now :P) in my offhand and switch between shield/torch as needed. Can be amusing using the wrong one to block

CoTD is a great area - good length of bonfire spacing as well. Most areas from now are like that (ID for example has 1 bonfire with many shortcutting loops back round to it)

It's more HWoL/US/RoS/FK have too many - but then they're the earlier areas. 

25 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

Spoiler

Get a torch. When you're covered in maggots, take it out for a second, and they fall off.