Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

3 hours ago, Steven said:

Trying to get a large titanite shard from STC and think I've hit a glitch. I put the correct item down and wait for prompt and get the same item back. Have tried other items and they work properly. Patched out or a glitch? Has anyone had this happen to them? Have one large shard and it's really pissing me off now as it's stopping me upgrading.

If you don't have many large shards that's because you're not at a stage in the game that you need them.

They become much more abundant later, when you really need the extra hitting power..

What do I get for being invaded and winning? I've been invaded twice and killed them twice but not really sure I got anything (some souls I guess but not a huge amount). Do I only get invaded if I have an ember? I assume then I'm balancing the benefits of the extra HP from the ember with the threat that I mught get invaded?

2 minutes ago, SuperMBo said:

What do I get for being invaded and winning? I've been invaded twice and killed them twice but not really sure I got anything (some souls I guess but not a huge amount). Do I only get invaded if I have an ember? I assume then I'm balancing the benefits of the extra HP from the ember with the threat that I mught get invaded?

You should see the items you get on-screen when you win - you usually get an ember consumable and a purple tongue thing.  Not sure if you *need* to be in a convenant for the tongues, though, I only started invading once I'd joined the covenant. 

If you're in the sunbro covenant, you'll get sunlight medals for winning! Which is a bit strange. 

Late game speculation…

Concerning the boss of AL

Not sure if this has been confirmed already but does anyone else think Aldrich Devourer of the Deep is Gwyndolyn consumed by Dark?

I only just got there so don’t have the soul for lore or anything but some of Aldrich’s moveset and movement really reminded me of the Gwyndolyn fight.  

It also ties in with being in Anor Londo and the idea that Ornstein was consumed by Dark in the same area from DS2

2 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

"Several people" = about three (you, Le Chuck, sid...any more?), and yet those of us who find the acronyms perfectly fine, convenient and simple even, are a "tiny minority".

Three people is several. Also other people chimed in that boss names weren't spoilers. The tiny minority I referred to was ardent spoilerphobes in comparison to normal people, not you and K and whoever else. It doesn't matter anyway really, you've made it clear that you're not willing to consider the people who raised those concerns and that you think the best course of action is to just keep doing what you're doing, so I'll continue to just use names of things that are in the intro without using acronyms and I'm sure everything will be fine. I apologise for getting annoyed, I'm sure I was rude (I'm tone deaf enough in real life, let alone online), and I'm really sorry if anyone feels like I've ruined everything. My unrelated irritations about people forcing their spoiler aversion on other people cause me to get irritated about this subject quickly and be kind of irrational, but we're all here because we love Dark Souls.

39 minutes ago, Broker said:

Three people is several. Also other people chimed in that boss names weren't spoilers. The tiny minority I referred to was ardent spoilerphobes in comparison to normal people, not you and K and whoever else. It doesn't matter anyway really, you've made it clear that you're not willing to consider the people who raised those concerns and that you think the best course of action is to just keep doing what you're doing, so I'll continue to just use names of things that are in the intro without using acronyms and I'm sure everything will be fine. I apologise for getting annoyed, I'm sure I was rude (I'm tone deaf enough in real life, let alone online), and I'm really sorry if anyone feels like I've ruined everything. My unrelated irritations about people forcing their spoiler aversion on other people cause me to get irritated about this subject quickly and be kind of irrational, but we're all here because we love Dark Souls.

Mate, it's all cool. I'm sorry in my turn if I wound you up. 

To be clear though, I'm not persisting with acronyms because "Screw you Broker" but because I'd just rather be ultra careful and use both spoiler tags and acronyms, than inadvertently spoil something for someone. And I might be wrong, but I don't think that it'll make the thread as hard for you to read as you think. Certainly can't be as hard as reading pages and pages of "arguments" about it anyway! :)

Quick question re: Summoning Sign etiquette. If I want to check out a boss battle form another player's world should I put my sign next to the bonfire near to that boss? Or right outside the boss's fog gate?

34 minutes ago, John0 said:

Quick question re: Summoning Sign etiquette. If I want to check out a boss battle form another player's world should I put my sign next to the bonfire near to that boss? Or right outside the boss's fog gate?

Generally I find that you just follow the lead of whoever summoned you. If you want to check out the boss then put it near the fog door, because then you're more likely to get summoned to fight the boss, but if you get summoned and they don't want to go there yet just follow them and help. As long as you both stay alive they have to challenge the boss at some point, and really most people are just looking for help so your best bet is to see how they're acting and react to that :)

4 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Are you guys loving the enemies in this as much as I am? Apart from the generic dogs and so on, I think these are some of the most imaginative enemies in the series yet. And intimidating too. Even the "normal" enemies seem very tall and imposing, and there are a lot more really large enemies, it seems to me.

Yeah the enemies are great, the non-spawning mini bosses are fun as well.

The level design is also a standout point with lots of secrets and loop backs, the guide book came with a journal which has been great for all those "remember that locked door" etc.. moments.  Initially I was disappointed that they weren't going with a layout similar to Dark souls 1 (who needs, warping right?) but that disappointment has long since gone.

My only criticism so far is that the bosses are far less memorable (& awesome) than Dark souls 1/BB/Demon's but hopefully the ones I've yet to discover will be better.  Or (most) likely my opinion will improve with repeat plays. 

Currently stuck on the boss from the Network test.

2 minutes ago, Spainkiller said:

The lack of consistency with which everyone here is handling spoilers is annoying even me, and I've fucking platinumed the thing.

Congrats. I'm pretty sure that I've broken multiple quest lines on this playthrough so that plat will be some way off for me.

7 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I played Dark Souls years ago, I don't recall Patches.  He was in Bloodborne, as a spider.  In this, he's just a merchant.  That's not spoiling anything. 

He kicked you into a pit in Demon's souls.

He kicked you off a cliff in Dark souls 1.

He kicked you off a cliff in Bloodborne.

There is a pattern emerging. 

2 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I was right, just two points into vitality has my ratio back down to 69%.  This armour set is lush:

Hide contents

26483004486_66ca9dc103_c.jpg

Yeah,  it's a fine looking set.

I used it for a short while before going back to a set I've been using most of the game and which seems a little better overall.

Just now, Mentazm said:

I need 2 chunks to upgrade the great sycthe. Not seen any so far, only just started the dungeon.

I found two,  now I need four for +8 on the longsword. 

Those dungeons are fantastic fun, easily my favourite area so far,  and have the best 'regular'  enemy I've seen too.. 

5 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Mike, what set are you using? 

edit: Got my Uchigatana to +6 now. :D

I can't remember it's  name off the top of my head,  sorry but it's a Knight set with a nicely tattered burgundy red cape...

I got my new merc back to US where my knight left off. Much easier time this go around. Got all the stuff from the tower. Found the 100% physical shield I was looking for. It's in a chest near the room with the cell key for the thief. 

Fuck those big fat women in US that make you bleed though. The one I need to kill is standing near an estus shard and Flub NEEDS.

According to Bandai Namco, this was the best selling day one game in the history of the company. 

I made bizarre progress last night and ended up just running through at least one area. I couldn't fight that thing at the bottom of the lift, just so fast and he could break my guard every time. Ended up using the bow and arrow and taking my time. Worth it for the weapon!

Minor area spoilers for the next bit 

Spoiler

I wasn't as impressed with Road of Sacrifices, reminded me too much of DS2, which I didn't get on with. Interesting enemies though. I ended up running through the latter section of the area and on to another bonfire. Wandered around the next area, before running to FK, which I got a Blightown vibe off. Took on the knight just before that area, the one with the club and managed to kill him, followed by the other one, who appeared to fall off the ladder and died. 

That fucking tree though. Four times I had it down to about an eighth of its health but couldn't see where I needed to hit. 

I feel like I'm missing huge parts of the game by sticking with the longsword, but so far it does the job for me.

This is really weird - I posted yesterday about all of my weapons suddenly getting a +1 bonus right? Well, now they've all lost it again! 

Is there some item that gives all of your weapons a +1, which I have unknowingly equipped/ unequipped? Or is this to do with consuming embers too?

After hating ID at the start I ended up really liking the area. Lots of looping back and crossing paths

Anyone know anything about staffs? I've not found any that give more spell buff that the starting one :(

I loved the AW fight - only took a few goes, but realised I was working way too hard by doing it the normal way you do boss fights :lol::lol::lol:. I was so bad and yet still emerged the victor! My capture below in the spoiler tag - dunno why it is only 50fps on youtube and also apologies for the stuttering in the middle, that isn't the game, that is nvidia shadowplay feckin up 

Spoiler