rllmuk
Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Cool. I think I'll have him tonight.

Might go back over previous ground though. Was watching ENB's playthrough and he went up some stairs I completely missed, so I think I've skipped some stuff. 

What armour and weapons were people using early game? I've hardly found anything I can use so have stuck with the Estoc for now.

The Claymore is found very early game and I'm still happily using it six or seven bosses in although it hasn't been upgraded too much due to a distinct lack of titanite..

I'm not watching any videos or reading any guides on my first play through. I'll save the things I miss for subsequent runs...

I've not done any of the covenent things people are talking about, nor any PVP yet. I haven't  been invaded either, which is a surprise.

VV has a new 'ten early game secrets' video out. Some pretty major spoilers in it, including a jump glitch that opens up a potentially later area a bit sooner.

10 hours ago, dood said:

@Mike S re that boss.. 

Reveal hidden contents

You should have found the Dragon Crest shield. It has like 89% fire resist. Makes second phase a bit more manageable to defend. 

I'll see if I have that but am terrible when 

Spoiler

trying to use shields in very fast paced fights. I just end up blocking too much and totally draining my stamina!

22 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

So with this raw gem thing you can use that on a weapon but upgrade it too? It just doesn't scale with your stats?

Which is best in the long run?

It's a hard question to answer. 

Raw is good in one respect because it means you can forego levelling strength / dex in favour of other stats.  This means you can concentrate on level health, stamina, focus points &  equip load instead. A raw weapon at +10 (Max level)  will do great damage and will be enough to get you through the game. 

However. You can get even stronger using strength / dex scaling, but the benefits only really show once the weapons are +5 or higher, and you invest heavily in strength / dex stats (ie around 20), and to do that sooner rather than later you have to give up points in health / stamina etc.  

Fwiw there is  a limited ability to respec hidden in the game. So don't sweat your decisions toouch at the start! 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Mike S said:

The Claymore is found very early game and I'm still happily using it six or seven bosses in although it hasn't been upgraded too much due to a distinct lack of titanite..

I'm not watching any videos or reading any guides on my first play through. I'll save the things I miss for subsequent runs...

I've not done any of the covenent things people are talking about, nor any PVP yet. I haven't  been invaded either, which is a surprise.

Hmmm, how early is early?

Mind you I don't think I'll have the strength for it at the moment. I don't seem to be racking up many Souls, although I've managed to get up to Level 17.

35 minutes ago, Spainkiller said:

Hide contents

Unfortunately, no. There are two rings that, combined, have a slightly similar effect, though. The Carthus Blood and Milk Rings increase your roll's iframes (at the expense of some of your physical defense) and obscure the rolling animation.

I've been sunbroing all morning running people through the CotD and there was an invader using those at one point. It was 3 vs 1 and we just couldn't pin them down. It doesn't help that the lock on is terrible a lot of the time but even though we had them trapped in a doorway at one point with 3 of us wailing on them they still seemed to avoid most of the damage just by rolling over and over again.

I found the Claymore and decided to not use it. I like great swords but it's just so slow to be useful. I picked up the bastard sword instead from the vendor and that is a much nicer balance of speed and strength. Really want an Estoc though for pokey pokey fun. 

58 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Hmmm, how early is early?

Mind you I don't think I'll have the strength for it at the moment. I don't seem to be racking up many Souls, although I've managed to get up to Level 17.

Yep,  as dood says.  It's VERY early.. 

12 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

I found the Claymore and decided to not use it. I like great swords but it's just so slow to be useful. I picked up the bastard sword instead from the vendor and that is a much nicer balance of speed and strength. Really want an Estoc though for pokey pokey fun. 

Claymore is a brute of a weapon.  I'm used to its speed now  as it was a favourite in the previous two games  too. 

That said,  I am having some decent success with a fancy glowing sword that I seem to have acquired along the road.  Its not quite as hard hitting but its faster and combos chain well.

Stuck trying to find the boss at the Cleansing Chapel bonfire. I have two closed doors either side me and can't find a way to open them. I can run through the graveyard to another giant closed door or go down some ladders to an area with some items and a couple of crystal lizards but everything appears to be a dead end. Any ideas?

Whilst posing for a photo op at the shrine I noticed a new visitor!  He is very useful indeed.. 

And then,  on my usual tour of 'good mornings' and 'how are you's'  around the shrine found yet another new resident. I have quite the settlement now.. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mentazm said:

Stuck trying to find the boss at the Cleansing Chapel bonfire. I have two closed doors either side me and can't find a way to open them. I can run through the graveyard to another giant closed door or go down some ladders to an area with some items and a couple of crystal lizards but everything appears to be a dead end. Any ideas?

Spoiler

When you go through the graveyard and reach the big shut doors you can get through just to the right of the doors. It should take you over the buttresses and roof

• Upvote 1

@Mentazm hmm my mind is fuzzy, have you been up on the roof of the churchy building there yet?

Spoiler

Stick on the high cliff as you enter the graveyard, and you can cross at the far end.

2 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

That is my favourite area so far.  

Progress lies 

Spoiler

Via the rooftops. 

I normally like the claymore but found it was just too slow for some of the fast (faster than Dark souls 1 at least) enemies in this game.

The merchant has some good weapons as I recall.

Spoiler

He is in the castle area, locked in a cell.

7 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Interesting! I didn't think I'd been that unobservant. ENB must have walked past it too then...

Remember he's doing a blind playthrough though, so even though he's very observant, he's bound to miss a couple of things here and there.

1 minute ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Well sure, except that he lost the footage, so he's been through the same area as me, twice, and missed it.

Yeah, I went through it a couple of times and missed it as well. With good reason though, it's in a place I wasn't keen on venturing to :)

I clicked off it once I realised he was heading into a bit I hadn't seen, so don't worry.

But I do like watching Let's Plays, almost as much as I like playing the game sometimes.

Anyone else feel that they've ramped up the intimidation factor of the enemies in this game? The knights in particular seem far larger and more menacing than in previous games.

12 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

He probably just doesn't want his videos to drag on. 

;)

Hmmm, I thought I'd yoinked all the loot from under it, but maybe I've missed the point...