A couple of other minor things you can try:

Spoiler

Putting on the highest magic res gear you have (which to be fair is probably the robe) and also try line of sighting the range attacks with the pillars/walls - there are plenty of places you can hide so the projectile detonates against the wall instead of your face. 

Just now, Radish said:

Hide contents

What really made the difference for me was using an Ember at the start of the second phase. You have plenty of time before he attacks to pop one and this way you don't avoid wasting it on the off chance you make a mistake and die before getting to his second phase. 

Not only will it fully heal you but the extra max health gives you a buffer to survive a few consecutive hits which I found really useful. Other than that, it was just learning which attacks to dodge and when I could safely sneak a hit or two in. I two handed it, dodged most of his closer range attacks and after rolling out of the way of his charge/longer range attacks, I'd lock on and get a hit or two in. He (they) have been by far the hardest boss for me so far (and I've killed a few more after him now too). 

I've tried that :( 

Spoiler

but tend to favour keeping it as a last resort to deploy if his health is down to 20% or so. Of course, that usually fails as I am dead before he gets that low.. I'm using the same two handed, dodge, tactics as you recommend but just get caught by the fire too often  and don't have enough fire protection in my armour to make enough difference. I'm trying to stay close as I can avoid a lot that way but it's a risky gambit what with him being a bit handy with his sword...

As a break I carried on pottering around the amazing Cathedral of the Deep and defeated the are boss (which was more annoying/tedious than difficult) so I've made some progress at least.

Git Gud is the answer I guess so practice, practice...

7 minutes ago, Mike S said:

It's the same on PC and, yeah, it's very irritating. I fell to my death just outside the shrine and resurrected at the shrine bonfire. The exit door was fogged which meant that I had to warp to the tutorial boss bonfire, then run back to the shrine in order to pick up the souls I'd dropped, and then back into the shrine through the now open door. 

A faff.

Sounds daft. Just load the game normally, this approach makes zero sense. Especially over the course of several run backs to kill Katanakunt. 

Still, he's dead now. 40 minutes to go on the install (twiddles thumbs)...

50 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

As long as you're under 70 you're fine. Anything below that affects the length of the roll, not the speed. 

Which way are you rolling? Forward roll has the most invincibility and will often put you behind them for a free hit or backstab. Stamina is your most important bar, keep a constant eye on it, when you think it's your turn you need to decide if you have the stamina to get in a hit or two while still being able to roll to safety, or whether to just wait and refill. And only put your shield up when there's an attack coming - stamina recharges slower if your shield's up. 

Ah, I've mostly been rolling sideways, I'll give that a try. 

Just beat the second boss on my second attempt which I was pleasantly surprised by. Used an Ember which gave me a nice health boost and he ended up being fairly straightforward. 

3 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

PC version last two days has been pretty good. The odd super slowdown but nothing too bad. Tonight I can't walk anywhere without it crashing. 

FFS

I see brief stuttering/slowdown when saving but no issues otherwise..

Thinking of picking this up. Is it worth picking this up on PC due to 60 FPS rather than on PS4? How much does that affect the gameplay? I know I can max this out of my PC but wondering if its worth getting it on PS4 so I can trade it in, in the future?

Interesting breakdown of how damage reduction is calculated

Main take away is flat physical damage reduction comes from your stats, then a percentage bonus from having something in a slot.  So having nothing in a slot means your taking more damage, rags would be better.

The armour itself also gives a percentage physical reduction, taken after the above is removed from the incoming damage.

12 minutes ago, cooticus said:

Thinking of picking this up. Is it worth picking this up on PC due to 60 FPS rather than on PS4? How much does that affect the gameplay? I know I can max this out of my PC but wondering if its worth getting it on PS4 so I can trade it in, in the future?

100% get the PC version. Worth it for the 60fps and negating the frame pacing from console. Also why would you ever trade in a Souls game!!

Wow this is gorgeous. Absolutely chopped up V with a bit of resin and now venturing into US village. Looks bloody massive. Wasn't a fan of the first area map, but came to the conclusion that there seems to be a lot more complexity to the level design.

Exploring in a Souls game for the first run is fantastic gaming; a mixture of wonder and fear, moving forward with a shield raised knowing that every moment of exploring is building up the mental map.  

Did a whole load of sunbro duty vs the Watchers just now. So good. Got ten bro medals.  Then I helped someone who was blatantly on a second or later build (they could one shot things that took me two hits with their  BOW)  through the whole of Cathedral of the Deep, again so fun! Helped my hosts dispatch various invader scum too. 

Most  important part was, I earned enough cash to pay for some.. Er.. Treatment. Hooray! 

Spoiler

No more zombie dood, phew. 

Weird thing I noticed tonight, while cooping, sometimes my estus would restock by one. I have no idea why. Anyone here know? 

13 minutes ago, Spainkiller said:

It happened to me a lot while I reviewed the game and I was playing offline the entire time.

I mentioned it a day or two back (I too am offline) and I wondered whether it was like in Dark souls 1 whereby you would get a free humanity after you killed a certain amount of enemies, obviously here you can't get a humanity so they give you a free estus instead.  Just a thought.

@The Bag  Regarding that damage breakdown.  I watched the most recent ENB playthrough today and he commented that a friend had said something that that video was basically saying at the end.  It didn't really make sense to me at the time but after watching that damage video it now makes sense.

Anyone else finding that they can't play for shit unless they're drunk(up to a point)?

Think I worry too much while sober. Paralysis through analysis. But when I'm drunk I just get stuck in. My liver is going to hurt before this thing has run its course.

Just finished downloading this. Cannot wait for the weekend so I can out a few hours in. I went Dex in DS1 with a Creacent Falchion from start to finish (I think). Aiming for something similar...?

Side note - I was quite pleased that the digital version was the most recently patches version. Small thing, and pretty obvious really, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless. 

So how do you join covenants in this?

I've got an items for both WoB and WoS covenants but I can't seem to activate them. I've been back to talk to relevant lady to see if she'll let me join WoB but nothing seems to happen. I can't seem to 'use' the items either, the option is greyed out.