rllmuk
Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

I'm pleased I've left Bloodborne for later - it probably needs a bit of adjustment. 

This I find extremely reminiscent of DS1 in a  good way - it's easy to click back into the rhythm of banking levels and spending spare change on consumables.

Nothing in gaming quite beats the thrill of entering a new Dark Souls area for the first time and trying to figure out where the traps might be located.  

What are the purple summons in this?

@BitterToadyes, the exploration phase is my favourite really.  Then there's figuring the best route to the boss phase  (having ideally opened up a shortcut or two, and finally the boss itself.  

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Putting all your early levels into fattening out your health bar seems very boring, I've always gone straight in for strength (or whatever attack stat you're building around) so you can hit hard without just tanking through any mistakes.  Once that levels off around 25-30 I usually go for endurance, although that being split over three seperate stats now is messing with my priorities a bit.  I was a big fan of adaptability in DS2.

For first run through, I often try to do a "box art character" build, so that always means a Melee focused Knight. 

Done the same thing this time round and put levels into Vigor, Endurance & Vitality, to even them out and Get Strength and Dexterity up to whatever level is required for the Weapons I want to use and no more. I'm using Raw versions of the Long Sword and Claymore so don't need Weapon scaling (..for now). 

• Upvote 1

As far as leveling goes, I think endurance is probably the most important to put a good chunk into early. When your stamina bar gets completely wiped out now, you are sort of paralyzed for like half a second while it begins to refill. It's pretty much guaranteed death against the stronger enemies.

I've spread mine out over vigor, and endurance as my main staples and strength and dex so I could use the halberd, and long bow.

33 minutes ago, Mike S said:

That is a pretty astonishing performance then.

I died at every new enemy time until I got to the first boss, died at that, continued to occasionally die at the bonfire mob and other random encounters I thought I knew, but would always die multiple times to those first bosses as it took that long to work out their movesets, especially FG who remains one of the more challenging bosses in the game, with an ability to one shot me at almost any time.

Even knowing as many tricks as I knew at the end of the game I would still die carelessly due to simple errors on repeat breakthroughs so to get four bosses in without dying on a first run is pretty damn adept.

Playing through the previous three Souls games definitely helped a hell of a lot! God knows how I'd have done if Bloodborne was my first From game, I initially gave up on Demon's after importing it as I felt like I was 'doing it wrong' somehow and it wasn't until it turned up on PS+ years later that I tried again and fell in love with the series.

My controller just fell and I managed to punch someone 3 times in the firelink shrine and now they are agro to me so I can't go to the area they are. How do I make them forgive me in this? I found someone a while back to absolve my sins but can't remember where they are now.

49 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

It was your first Souls game though. 

I seem to recall I cleared out the first bonfire without dying, but then died there about 10 times after that.

Well, yes, but to get all the way through to Amelia on a first play without dying once is pretty amazing. I couldn't even do that on my second playthrough!

There have been very few bosses, other than the obvious super easy ones, that I have worked out on my first attempt. Same goes for the introduction of newer regular enemies in many cases too.

After a rough 20m, things got going again and I took out VotBV on my third go. 

Got to to say while I love the look of US, I wouldn't have minded had they changed it up a bit. Those fat fuckers can bugger off as well.

Bonfire placement is odd though, much more Ds2 than 1. US has two within moments but then the next one seems an age away.

is anyone using the stances? Can't say I've bothered and, at least for now, don't feel like I am missing out. I can backstab quite well but parrying just doesn't happen, and some of those 'easy' enemies hit bloody hard!

The action is so fast and works really well. Excellent fun so far!

33 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Those bowl cunts hurt quite a lot...

Cor yeah. Thought I had them down after dealing with their saw wielding brothers, but then the fuckers just lobbed them at me like a cricket ball. <_<

Put in about 6 hours so far. Beat the intro/tutorial boss after a few goes but then found the first area pretty hard going. I'd tried fighting the boss on my own (previous games I've co-op'd a lot, but I'm ok with that) and was doing great until he changed to his attack pattern and was bouncing round the room like a lunatic, so I figured I'd summon and we destroyed him with minimal effort.

Onto US and wow, what an area, sooo big. Once you realise how the bonfires connect, the NPCs you meet, that you can speak to a certain creature when expecting a fight to make your life easier a good distance away. Awesome. Got to the boss seen in preview videos and smashed it down until the arena changes. Didn't even consider carrying on with the fight as it was very late, I'd grabbed some items and was carrying about 12k souls, so I homeward boned my way back to Firelink (I like that you can go to where you last rested or back to the hub, rather than loading twice) and levelled up to tackle that boss properly tonight.

Fantastic so far :)

EDIT: Also, in the past I've always played the Souls games pure melee, heavy armour and tbh had some major sticking points. O&S was the source of more frustration for me than any gaming experience I've had. This time I decided to start with the Assassin class. Still using swords and shield, but actually bothering with a bow on a regular basis, and having the spell from the off that silences my footsteps and stops fall damage has been great. With my bounty last night I bought Heavy Soul Arrow, but I'm currently a level or so away from being able to use it. Figured it'd be a nice addition to my arsenal.

Quick question as just found some Amazon vouchers down the back of the sofa as it were so may as well punt them on this. What does the day one edition have over the standard? Seems to just be a starter guide, soundtrack and sleeve of which I have no interest? There's no extra kit or in-game goodies are there? And I assume most are playing on ps4, was mulling over pc but I can sell it on on ps4 so probably the best choice?

Wtf this game is weird with NPC stuff..  

So I just spotted someone at the very top level of the shrine, who I've not seen before.. 

Spoiler

Patches! Except he's begging for forgiveness despite us never speaking before..? Weird shit! :(

In other news Farron's keep boss DOWN.  First try too, though I'd ended up taking help, I got invaded on my way to the boss so summoned in a panic for assistance. Forgot completely that I can send help home! Whoops! 

Re the boss:

Spoiler

The weapons you can make from the soul! Omgomgomg. I went with the Greatsword / dagger, didn't have the stats for Artorias' weapon - which sounds amazing but I'll save it for a strength build! 

This fucking game. 

Yup. The more I read the more I want to go home and play it. 

But I've still got two hours and the F**KING C**TING B**T*RD Central Line to deal with. 

• Upvote 2

Me too.

RoS awaits.

Then I have tomorrow off, but having someone round to play with my boiler - likely won't play games on sofa while they're there, and instead try to make it look like I have a interesting and fulfilling life...

55 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Heavy Soul Arrow has been essential for me.

Yeah Soul Arrow seems a too weak to be of use with the FP system (can be good for snipe/pulling but you can get the dart for a cheaper method)

HSA is a nice "nuke" for killing big nasty mobs before they reach you

5 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Yup. The more I read the more I want to go home and play it. 

But I've still got two hours and the F**KING C**TING B**T*RD Central Line to deal with. 

I'll swap you for my half hour walk to St Pancras and hour and a half train journey home.

Still, at least I can watch a bit of ENB on the way home.

• Upvote 1

Man, I just remembered that Embers massively increase your health. Boss down :D My heart was pounding at the end, it's just so satisfying killing a boss that you've been struggling on. I spent the souls I earned on leveling up health three times straight away, as that extra cushion was all I needed in the end. Now I can look forward to playing again as I explore new areas rather than beating my head against a tricky fight :D

I won't trade you a 30min drive home and then free time to myself a free and single bachelor from 6pm.

But I will share with you and tell you about it, cus I'm generous like that.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

I'll swap you 2 screaming kids until 7.30pm and then another 2.5 hours of not listening to my wife prattle on about whatever uninteresting shit has happened to her today whilst I stare at her blankly wandering whether I should nip back to Lothric one last time and check for missed items before I venture to the next area before replying 'Yes dear' 

This is where the late bed times start creeping in. "Yeah, I'll be up in a minute love".

5 hours later, at 3am...

• Upvote 2

I get whinged at for staying up late and never going ot bed with her. 

So I just go to bed same time, have sex (LOL I KNOW RIGHT, JK), then get up early before work. :D 

SOULS > EVERYTHING. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dood said:

...then get up early before work. :D 

Just no, every second in bed counts. I stumble around so much of a morning that would just be a non starter. ;)

9 minutes ago, dood said:

I get whinged at for staying up late and never going ot bed with her. 

So I just go to bed same time, have sex (LOL I KNOW RIGHT, JK), then get up early before work. :D 

SOULS > EVERYTHING. 

I tried that a few times, but APPARENTLY drinking wine first thing in the morning is socially unacceptable. 

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, Len said:
22 minutes ago, dood said:

get up early before work. :D 

Just no, every second in bed counts. I stumble around so

Yeah but when you go to bed at 9.. 

• Upvote 1