Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

Parts of it certainly are, but some bits aren't. Then again, parts of Dark Souls 2 are better than in Dark Souls 3, and some bits aren't. What we really need is some kind of mashup of them all, really.

I felt I 'connected' more with Dark Souls 2 than I have with 3. 3 feels like a refinement of everything, but not necessarily always in a good way. I liked how weird and ethereal 2 was, I liked some of the systems more, I loved the whole bonfire ascetic to redo areas and bosses only more difficult. I feel overall the world of 2 was more interesting, even if not as interconnected. 3 just feels a tad too homogenized, safe and generic in comparison. 3 feels like the natural extension of 1, whereas 2 felt different and new and bold in its decisions, even the ones that didn't work.

They've certainly kicked up the difficulty in the last few bosses, but mostly just due to the sheer amount of damage they do. As a Pyromancer with only 20 vigor, most hits will knock off almost all of my life bar. So far I'm flicking between Nameless King and Sister Friede - both of whom I've nearly killed multiple times but get caught by some nasty attack.

Who wants a 5 hour video essay on the Dark Souls trilogy? Of course you do!

"This is a full spoilers critique and exploration of my quest to make it through all three of Dark Souls action role-playing games. The video focuses on how much more open, free, and fun these games are than I was led to believe based on everything I ever heard of 'Git Gud'. Over the course of five hours, the video tries to figure out how the games support or detract from one another, the ways they're connected, and how a clumsy fool like me can find not only victory but comfort in their strange, sad little worlds. "

And done. Got the Usurpation of Fire ending. Last fight was amazing, loved how he switched between different styles like he was channelling the souls of  the various lords of fire over the millennia (saw strength, dex and sorcery type attacks). Second phase, when that music came in... :wub:

Overall, loved it. What a fantastic trilogy of games. Hard to really separate them, they're all one, amazing game for me what with the linked plots. Despite buying every single Dark Souls game at launch, I'd only finished DS1 until this last month.

Will go do the Ringed City DLC over the next few days but I think after 100+ hours of elden ring, 60 hours of DS2 and now 45 hours of DS3 since Elden Ring came out last month, I need a break :lol:

...and then it'll be onto Bloodborne.

I actually really like the tight gameplay on this and the 'corridors'. My autism makes open world game feel overwhelming and I have this fear of missing stuff out, often leading to me just not playing it. In a similar vein I started assassin's creed odyssey, saw the world map and just noped and turned it off. 

Whereas on this I killed the first boss and just slaughtered some farmers and a fat magic women and felt so satisfied. 

13 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I have watched dozens of hours of videos on YouTube the last few weeks on From games and I NEED MORE

Have you seen these videos where a Scottish fella gets his non-gamer girlfriend to play the Souls games?

They’ve just done Elden Ring as well. Apologies if this has been posted numerous times, the Elden Ring thread is too vast for me to wander in there now.

2 hours ago, MrHendo said:

Have you seen these videos where a Scottish fella gets his non-gamer girlfriend to play the Souls games?

They’ve just done Elden Ring as well. Apologies if this has been posted numerous times, the Elden Ring thread is too vast for me to wander in there now.

Yes, watched those. They’re very funny - I also love how her skill very clearly develops over the course of the games and she even wants to keep playing them! And they recently got engaged :wub:

8 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Abyss watcher can suck a dick. If I'm going pure magic build do I just keep pumping into intel? I'm at 28 points in it now and not increase any other stats. 

Early doors you should probably pump stats into health and endurance. Break points for int are at 30 and 60 I think, so worth getting those last two points first and then focusing on beefing yourself up. 

Also with abyss watchers, just keep your distance until all 3 show up, let them fight it out whilst you smash the main one. Rinse and repeat until phase 2. 

• 2 weeks later...

Midir and Gael down in one session last night - weirdly on a quality build I ended up getting the most bang for buck by sticking the last straggler points into VIT? Just made me a bit less squishy. Midir: I forgot that getting him consistently with headshots will lead to the biggest stagger and riposte in history??

Gael is just the best fight. Proper spine tingling shit. Absolute perfection.

• 1 month later...

Playing through this again, because, well why not? On the Series X it's bloody transformative with speedy loading and rock solid 60fps. Making my way through the Grand Archives at the moment. Dunk head in wax.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Goddamn.  15 hours in and I finally made it past the first boss. At Undead Settlement now.   As per my attempt at the first Dark Souls I end up having to farm lots in the initial area to be able to beat the first boss.   Still...enjoying it as much as I did the first one.  I can only imagine how much I will enjoy Elden Ring when I finally play it someday.