Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

Is DS 3 considered linear, then? It feels no more or less linear than DS1 so far. 2 felt more linear at the start but thankfully opened up a lot the further in you got. But DS3 feels a lot like the first so far, running around crucifixion woods and fort farron at the moment. 

23 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Is DS 3 considered linear, then? It feels no more or less linear than DS1 so far. 2 felt more linear at the start but thankfully opened up a lot the further in you got. But DS3 feels a lot like the first so far, running around crucifixion woods and fort farron at the moment. 

Yes, because it is linear. But as mentioned earlier, you can do some mad sequence breaks. 

27 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Yes, because it is linear. But as mentioned earlier, you can do some mad sequence breaks. 

you say that, but I’ve just found out I could have gone one of two ways in crucifixion woods: to the Crystal sages and into cathedral of the deep, or into farron keep and onto abyss watchers and then catacombs. I’ve just beaten abyss watchers but not been to the Crystal sages or cathedral. 

7 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

you say that, but I’ve just found out I could have gone one of two ways in crucifixion woods: to the Crystal sages and into cathedral of the deep, or into farron keep and onto abyss watchers and then catacombs. I’ve just beaten abyss watchers but not been to the Crystal sages or cathedral. 

The crucifixion woods/cathedral of the deep/farron keep section is probably the most open part of the game. After the Abyss Watchers it gets more linear. This isn’t meant to put you off though - the game actually gets better and better as it goes on.

Aah, fair enough. 

can’t say I enjoyed farron keep much. Swamp, poison and slow walking, oh my! And the poison barely hurts, so you can pretty much ignore it as you slow walk everywhere through the muck. Felt like a slog, got lost a good few times (wait…I’m back here? I meant to go the opposite side of the map!). 

50 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Before Elden Ring came along, the Cathedral in DaS3 was the most intricate Soulsy area From had ever designed. Mad genius level design.

I will do a Wil Smith on anyone hating on  DaS3 :)

It's not is it. It's big but there's not much to it. 

26 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

It's not is it. It's big but there's not much to it. 

Keep Dark Souls 3 out your fucking mouth!

Spoiler

;) joking obviously

The way you start in front of that door and then you keep coming back to the centre from about a dozen different angles, ending up in different parts of the interior while weaving in and out is amazing.

But if it did nothing for you, I'm not going to bother convincing you. I don't want to get into one little fight

On good old Rllmuk talkin games we play
Is the forum where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out, maxin', relaxin', just out of bed
And all talkin' some dark souls inside the thread
When a couple of posters were arguing the toss
Started making trouble about which zone was boss
@Mr. Gerbik got in one little fight and @Lovelyman got scared
And said, "sorry, still waking up"

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Aah, fair enough. 

can’t say I enjoyed farron keep much. Swamp, poison and slow walking, oh my! And the poison barely hurts, so you can pretty much ignore it as you slow walk everywhere through the muck. Felt like a slog, got lost a good few times (wait…I’m back here? I meant to go the opposite side of the map!). 

Sorry not following the above😂

But,  you can quickstep, using a dagger, right through the poison, even when you run out of fp!

Farron was where Souls clicked for me. That and the Abyss Watchers fight. 🥰

I can see them being decidedly mediocre if you’ve played lots of the others but it was all fresh to me at that point. 

Lothric Castle is my favourite location in Souls, though. Massive, loads of lore to find, great boss.  

12 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Abyss Watchers down, which was super tough as pyromancer as they dodged a lot of my fireballs! 

Into Catacombs of Carthus now. It’s like being back on Elden Ring! 

Oof, I was a pyro in DS3 as well, and some of the bosses are beyond brutal because of how long it takes to throw fireballs and how slow the fireballs are, not to mention you're having to chug down Ether flasks to keep it up in those precious windows of safety. Good luck!

13 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Oof, I was a pyro in DS3 as well, and some of the bosses are beyond brutal because of how long it takes to throw fireballs and how slow the fireballs are, not to mention you're having to chug down Ether flasks to keep it up in those precious windows of safety. Good luck!

Haha thanks! I’ve unlocked a couple more spells now, such as fire orb and carthic flame arc, but catacombs has been rough. Just fighting the big skeleton boss then I guess go back for Crystal sages and cathedral of the deep. 

Managed to pick up a quicker spell cast ring and a 25% boost to pyromancy ring, and boosted my flame hand thing to +5, so hopefully should see that damage climb. 

7 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Well, that’s High Lord Wolnir and Crystal Sages dead. On to either smouldering lake, irithyll or cathedral of the deep, I guess!  

Have you got the DLC?

2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Smouldering Lake is a bit poo, but there are some good lore nuggets in there. It's probably the easiest of those three areas.

Unless you're a pyro lol! Everything is resistant to fire down there, but there's loads of good pyro stuff there too. Also a really good pyro sword in the Ariandel DLC hence me mentioning it.