IGNORED

Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

Yeah it's the best Dark Souls, best combat, best bosses, best build variety. Faith is a lot of fun in this one but all the good faith stuff is near the end and in dlc so it's worth a couple of playthroughs. Strength also really good except for some of the bosses. 

I’ve just completed back to back Elden Ring (100+ hours) and Dark Souls 2 (60 hours), so I’m contemplating doing Bloodborne first, then Dark Souls 3. Or I could do Dark Souls 3 then Bloodborne. Or I could save Bloodborne for a first playthrough when I eventually get a ps5. Or as a “goodbye PS4 pro” game. 

Decisions, decisions! 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’ve just completed back to back Elden Ring (100+ hours) and Dark Souls 2 (60 hours), so I’m contemplating doing Bloodborne first, then Dark Souls 3. Or I could do Dark Souls 3 then Bloodborne. Or I could save Bloodborne for a first playthrough when I eventually get a ps5. Or as a “goodbye PS4 pro” game. 

Decisions, decisions! 

Worth noting that DaS3 is 60FPS on current generation consoles. Maybe better to play that first and the DeS remake, maybe they'll have finally announced a BB remaster by then.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Worth noting that DaS3 is 60FPS on current generation consoles. Maybe better to play that first and the DeS remake, maybe they'll have finally announced a BB remaster by then.

Yeah I did pop Bloodborne on earlier and…yikes. I’m not usually a snob about such things but after playing 60fps Elden ring, ds2 and ds3, Bloodborne feels horrible :( 

43 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Well it certainly isn’t pyromancy in the early game because Christ, I’m dying a lot :lol:

Hoping it’s a late bloomer…

Pyromancy requires a big investment in faith and int but it does become very strong later on, but much later, tbh any of the casting builds really require mid-late game spells and stat investment. I finished my pyro at 135 including dlc.

53 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Is there an easy mode build for this? 

Normal sword so what's called the Long Sword or if you can farm the knights at Lothric castle at the start and get one of them to drop a Lothric Knight sword, basically they have loads of dps and they are fast swinging, the combat in this is Dark Souls with a side order of Bloodborne so fast weapons are decent and can carry you through the game. Then you can decide whether to go dex/heavy or quality. If you go heavy (strength) you can use big fuck off swords which make easy work of most mobs and for bosses use the long sword infused with heavy. Alternatively go dex, some big fuck off swords still scale well when infused with sharp like the Astora greatsword and of course the old faithful The Claymore which can also be found in Lothric Castle at the start and you can also utilise the Uchigatana. Melee is very versatile. I would say Strength works real well if you also have a fast weapon to fall back on for bosses as they are harder to stagger and can be difficult with slow swinging weapons.

If you want a mix of melee and casting Str Fth is great, again Lothric knight sword, infuse as raw to begin with and later on infuse it with lighting gem, lots of stuff weak to lightning in this game and the offensive faith spells are good fun.

5 hours ago, carlospie said:

Is there an easy mode build for this? 

Start as Knight class. Straight sword and shield can carry you through the game. 

UGS later on if you fancy as STR is powerful in DS3. I also remember the Sellsword Twinblade was pretty op as a boss killer. 

Sorcery is op later in the game for bosses if you fancy respeccing. 

I always go strength and sword n shield in From games - Elden Ring was the first where I changed it up (though not much - just went strength with a huge two handed sword and no shield), then decided to try sorcery in Dark Souls 2 (boring, hexes much more fun) and now pyromancer in Dark Souls 3. I didn’t bother with a shield in DS2 (and kept my adaptability stat at 9 for the entire game so no iframe rolls!) and I’m not using one in DS3, either. It’s exciting! 

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I went Quality but ended up sticking with the Claymore, regardless. I think the respec location is far more esoteric and missable than in Elden Ring, though. 

Yeah plus the items are rare unless you invade to get them, which you should because it's a lot of fun!

I found this game was the least 'explory' fun of all the From games. It feels more linear than even 2. Kind of spoiled a lot of it for me. It's the only one I haven't finished (other than Elden Ring, and I am still into that 100 hours in).

It really isnt even close-

Slave Knight Gael

Sister Friede

Champion Gundyr

Pontiff Sulyvahn

Dancer of the Boreal Valley

Nameless King

Lothric and Lorian

Soul of Cinder

I have probably forgotten some really good ones.

I think I want to play it now 🤣

Yeah I'd add

Dragonslayer Armour

Abyss Watchers

Midir

to the list, it's by far the best for bosses and actually the world is fun to explore, there's loads of nooks and crannies and little shortcuts and clever level design. 

So I found the normal game a bit lacking after Elden Ring. Too familiar and not having the quality of life changes. And I remembered hearing about a mod called Cinders for Dark Souls 3.

I installed it this morning and basically it is the unofficial Scholar of the First Sin type version of the game. In fact it goes way way further than that. It's insane, just the first area of Lothric Castle wall has been entirely remixed in some areas. Bonfires are differently placed. Classes are different. Way more viable equipment. 

To anyone on PC who fancies Dark Souls 3 again in a completely different light, check it out. Its free and takes about 10-15 mins to install (just downloading and copying and pasting files)

Wiki here:

http://ds3-cinders.wikidot.com/start

I recorded about 5 mins of gameplay of me just going around the starting area to show how different it is. Will link once youtube has processed it

1 minute ago, Uzi said:

So I found the normal game a bit lacking after Elden Ring. Too familiar and not having the quality of life changes. And I remembered hearing about a mod called Cinders for Dark Souls 3.

I installed it this morning and basically it is the unofficial Scholar of the First Sin type version of the game. In fact it goes way way further than that. It's insane, just the first area of Lothric Castle wall has been entirely remixed in some areas. Bonfires are differently placed. Classes are different. Way more viable equipment. 

To anyone on PC who fancies Dark Souls 3 again in a completely different light, check it out. Its free and takes about 10-15 mins to install (just downloading and copying and pasting files)

Wiki here:

http://ds3-cinders.wikidot.com/start

I recorded about 5 mins of gameplay of me just going around the starting area to show how different it is. Will link once youtube has processed it

I meant to do this at xmas but didn't get round to it, I'll definitely have a go once I'm bored of ER

Just now, Minion said:

I meant to do this at xmas but didn't get round to it, I'll definitely have a go once I'm bored of ER

Its so worth it. I'm shocked at how much is in here and it all works flawlessly with no faff.

3 minutes ago, kempstar said:

For me, it has the best bosses, by absolutely miles.

It is quite linear, but can also be massively sequence broken in a few places.

I played through this again recently and had a much better time with it second time round for reasons I can’t quite fathom. It’s the most linear Souls game for sure but I sort of leaned into it this time, I found charging through unlocking bonfires as I went and then wheeling round to mop up works best. It’s very different to DS1 in this regard but if you don’t try and play it like it’s DS1 it’s very rewarding on its own terms. 

It does have some great bosses, not sure if they’re better overall than Bloodborne’s, particularly when you include Old Hunters, but it’s definitely right up there.

13 minutes ago, Minion said:

Yeah I'd add

Dragonslayer Armour

Abyss Watchers

Midir (twat)

to the list, it's by far the best for bosses and actually the world is fun to explore, there's loads of nooks and crannies and little shortcuts and clever level design. 

Made a slight edit, but absolutely those three as well!

Abyss Watchers is one of the few multi enemy bosses that actually works. Its also a great fight at SL1.

4 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I played through this again recently and had a much better time with it second time round for reasons I can’t quite fathom. It’s the most linear Souls game for sure but I sort of leaned into it this time, I found charging through unlocking bonfires as I went and then wheeling round to mop up works best. It’s very different to DS1 in this regard but if you don’t try and play it like it’s DS1 it’s very rewarding on its own terms. 

It does have some great bosses, not sure if they’re better overall than Bloodborne’s, particularly when you include Old Hunters, but it’s definitely right up there.

Bloodborne has always been my least favourite. I think its partly the aesthetic (give me castles and dragons all day long), but its mainly that there just isnt anywhere near as much variety, build wise.

I dont think ive ever played the DLC! I think when it came out, I was past the point of no return, or maybe I didnt have a save file any more…. But I needed to replay a large chunk of the game and couldnt be bothered.

2 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Abyss Watchers is one of the few multi enemy bosses that actually works. Its also a great fight at SL1.

Haha so's Midir! I beat him without taking any damage, that's why I love him :)

6 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Bloodborne has always been my least favourite. I think its partly the aesthetic (give me castles and dragons all day long), but its mainly that there just isnt anywhere near as much variety, build wise.

I dont think ive ever played the DLC! I think when it came out, I was past the point of no return, or maybe I didnt have a save file any more…. But I needed to replay a large chunk of the game and couldnt be bothered.

I’d say Bloodborne’s lack of build variety is overstated, you can’t stand back and spam spells but there’s loads of viable melee builds and if anything it’s easier to switch between them.

I’ve not finished Elden Ring yet but I’d say Ludwig (from the Hunter’s dlc) is so far my favourite boss fight of all the Souls Games

22 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

oh god the cinders mod 😂 thats gone through some mad changes over the years!

its pretty much changed from what it started. Whats it like now?

also, there is https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/672

which was good and quite different!

Feels like a remix of the whole game just like Dark Souls 2 SOTFS and what people were saying about about the game being linear is gone, you can go pretty much in the order you want.

Eg within 5 mins of starting the game you can go to the ringed city dlc haha. The spell sword I'm playing seems really cool too. Here is the short video of me just looking around in the first area (but again you are not forced to go here)

@Uzi ah, looks like its more of an iteration from the version i played last year! as opposed to the complete changes it went through! 

im gonna gownload it again haha

You've been able to warp around alot for quite a while! you used to be able to get some good stuff very early from learning the warp points!