1 minute ago, Curtis said:

Bloodborne DLC has Lady Maria and Kos.

Yes he's an overly aggressive fetus, but the fight is unforgettable.

Don't dismiss Gael. The build up. The explosive aggro. The arena. The space but no space to maneuver. The inevitable second phase. The worry, the dodge dodge don't get hit. The third phase. The lunacy! It felt like a fever dream.

If you loaded it up right now with a decent build save i would die repeatedly! It was a culmination of all things Souls for me, and i crushed him first go!

That is why i remember it, and cherish it. 

It took me a few goes, I just like the whole setting and background to Maria. It's an incredible setting and fight. 

19 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Damn; both Maria and Gael took me ages  :(

I never managed to beat Kos at all - without summoning someone.

From games though, there's nothing quite like them. Where is Elden Ring ?!

Kos ain't that bad. 

Here's me doing him in NG+. 

On 16/12/2020 at 13:02, kempstar said:

I think DS3 could be my favourite, even though its not necessarily the best.

I was absolutely hooked on the SL1 run, and I think beating the Dancer on SL1 is up there with the most fun ive had on any Souls game, even though it must have taken at least 400 attempts (seriously).

I might play this again, for probably the millionth time, once if done with DeSR.

Anyone who does 400 attempts on Super Meat Boy is fucking crackers imo. Anyone who tries that amount versus Dancer at SL1, clearly has mental issues.

I used to understand the allure of an SL1 run, but now, i have to ask: WHY!?

8 hours ago, Curtis said:

I did it because I loved the game so much and felt like it was possible, I did every boss but Gael and whilst a few did take a very large number of tries when I got them it was an insane feeling. Friede was probably the hardest and definitely in the 300-400 territory. I posted the video a page or two back if you want to see, when you see the ballet dance that is the 1st and 3rd phases maybe you’ll understand. With Midir I beat him with taking no damage it’s one of my proudest game moments. I'm well up for another bloodborne run actually. Maybe a scythe and Maria katana run. 

3 hours ago, Curtis said:

Anyone who does 400 attempts on Super Meat Boy is fucking crackers imo. Anyone who tries that amount versus Dancer at SL1, clearly has mental issues.

It was brilliant, one of the best moments in gaming for me. I took on the dancer as early as possible as it makes the rest of the SL1 run much easier. I cant remember exactly why... I think its because you can get into the castle earlier than normal, so you can get chunks to level up your weapon.

The dancers moveset is completely learnable and everything can be dodged, it just takes a lot of pratice to learn everything and put it all together. The graphics and music are awesome too. I was determined to beat her. Almost everything is a one hit kill which is what makes it difficult. It was a lot of fun though, and really “zen”, because you have to concentrate so hard.

Champion Gundyr took me the second most tries, with about 50 or so. That was because I wanted to perfect him - parrying and ripostes only, using a fire dagger, no hits. That one was great fun too.

5 hours ago, Curtis said:

To this day i still don't understand players who bash their heads against a difficulty wall to prove some kind of point, and continue to bash until the wall breaks? Those numbers are like Super Meat Boy refresh attempts?

:lol:

I wasnt trying to prove some kind of point. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Don't get me wrong, i commend the effort and the will to succeed, its just those numbers are crazy to me. All FromSoft bosses (first time round) take me 5-6 tries until I've won. There have been some outliers, but never more than low double digits. And of course nerfing yourself with SL1 stats and weapons is not comparable, and it means everything is 1HKO, so learning the bosses movements inside-out is absolutely essential, but I'd get bored before 20 goes had passed. :lol:

In short: I admire your fortitude. 

When you get really satisfying gameplay, there's a lot of fun to be had in playing the same bit over and over again, aiming for mastery. I've never done that with From games (though final boss in Sekiro was close!) but it's the same reason why people love arcade high score games. 

I probably put 100 hours into the first 3-minute stage of Mushihimesama Futari Black Label God Mode, to try to hit 400m and get the first extend in the first stage. Easily one of the most satisfying and deepest gaming experiences of my life. I got infinitely more from this than the 100 hours I spent with AC Odyssey. It's a feeling of digging right down into the minutiae of the code and extracting everything you possibly can from something which at first seemed impossible and impenetrable. 

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as I can’t find a PS5 for love nor money, I bought this in the PSN sale and have been pretending I’m playing Demon’s Souls :D.

Anyway, it’s a bit good isn’t it? It feels like Bloodborne in a Dark Souls skin and has a load of QoL improvements over DS: Remastered which is nice. Loving it. 

4 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

Seeing as I can’t find a PS5 for love not money, I bought this in the PSN sale and have been pretending I’m playing Demon’s Souls :D.

Anyway, it’s a bit good isn’t it? It feels like Bloodborne in a Dark Souls skin and has a load of QoL improvements over DS: Remastered which is nice. Loving it. 

It's fucking excellent, Peak Souls.

I started an NG+ game of this on PS4 before Christmas after giving up on the DLC at the poisoned swamp area (I fucking HATE poisoned and/or swampy areas in games) but transferring my save over to PS5 the other day, seems that run didn't save to the cloud and I'm back in the swamp area on my first playthrough. I'm glad about this actually as I'm nearing the end of Demon's Souls and want to finish off the DLC for reals. Plus, having made it through an area called Swamp of Sorrows in DeS (yes, it was full of poison :rolleyes:) I feel like I can take on anything. 

3 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

I started an NG+ game of this on PS4 before Christmas after giving up on the DLC at the poisoned swamp area (I fucking HATE poisoned and/or swampy areas in games) but transferring my save over to PS5 the other day, seems that run didn't save to the cloud and I'm back in the swamp area on my first playthrough. I'm glad about this actually as I'm nearing the end of Demon's Souls and want to finish off the DLC for reals. Plus, having made it through an area called Swamp of Sorrows in DeS (yes, it was full of poison :rolleyes:) I feel like I can take on anything. 

Once you know the layout of that area it's not that hard to navigate and has far more points of rest where you aren't taking poison than the one in DeS, plus the purple moss stuff is easy to come by, I used to hate that swamp too but now I own it, even those 3 large enemies surrounding Phades dead body  are my bitch. Plus No Mosquitos!!!! And the slugs are fairly docile compared to the ones in DeS they bloody killed me the first time I encountered them as I was expecting the languid ones in DS3 not the meth'd up nutters from the DeS swamp.

• 1 month later...

So I have been playing this on the PS5 and although it’s mostly brilliant, I find it to be a rung below the holy trinity of Demon’s, Dark and Bloodborne.

There’s a few reasons - one is that the world is much less cohesive and seems full of pointless empty space. I’m near the end and pottering around the top of Lothric Castle hoping to see everywhere I’ve been but it all just merges into random scenery.

Another reason is that the bosses are a little bit samey, especially in the back half. Oh look, another really aggressive melee beast with stacks of stamina and cunty staggered moves to foil my rolling!

Too many of them feel like someone felt the ideal Dark Souls 1 boss was Artorias so wouldn’t it be great if there was a whole game of them? I loved fighting Artorias but you need some variety in there. Bloodborne was really good at throwing curve balls like Rom into the mix.

Also there’s just too many bosses. I’ve heard that Sekiro almost feels like a boss run game and I think DS3 was a step on that path. I’ve seen people complain about the lack of shortcuts in the Demons PS5 remake but I felt it was really refreshing - the levels are the point of that game and the bosses are some nice garnish on top. With DS3 I feel like it’s the opposite. 

3 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Too many of them feel like someone felt the ideal Dark Souls 1 boss was Artorias so wouldn’t it be great if there was a whole game of them? 

:lol:

I have to say though, I found Artorias harder than anything in DS3 (and I played 3 before 1). 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently doing an SL1 run of DS3, after finding SL1 in DeS and DSR surprisingly enjoyable and doable. Here's an account of my time with Dancer...

I thought the run was going well... quite easy actually, as SL1 runs often seem to be. I had a mild stumble at Pontiff, but got through it with practice, including a couple of "one more hit" deaths that made it feel possible, you know?

Then I met Dancer.

Nothing in the game so far had prepared me for this. I'd strolled past her on my normal run, don't remember too many problems. But SL1 Dancer seemed like a brick wall. I soon mastered phase 1. Only the grab seemed to get me, and that was easy to deal with after practice.

But phase 2... I genuinely felt like it wasn't possible, as if it was beyond my ability. Every attack seemed too fast, too unpredictable, too much for my aging reflexes (which were never particularly sharp, even in my salad days). And with no summons available, no titanite chunks to farm, no possibility of meeting her attacks with anything but my own blunted skills, I set to work...

For a week, the feeble waves of my assaults crashed against the beaches of her defences, death after death, curse after curse, dismay upon dismay. Nothing seemed to progress my abilities. There seemed to be no options for learning. At some points I went backward, regressing into phase 1 deaths, or even deaths to the Lothric Knights outside.

Then something happened. Something wonderful. The invisible threads of my unconscious mind came together in two minutes of perfect harmony. For those two minutes I felt invincible, I felt as if I could see the very fabric of her thoughts. Everything was telegraphed, everything was obvious. Every roll was in the right direction, every swipe measured and restrained.

And then, she died...

I showed my girlfriend the video afterwards, giddily talking her through every move, every step, every thought.

"Not sure what you've been complaining about for the last week," she said. "That looked easy."

And isn't that the point? Isn't the final fight - the fight where the boss finally dies - "perfect" by default? It must have been... the right moves must have outweighed the misteps, or it wouldn't have been the final fight. The dice must have rolled favourably. Whatever gods watch over we SL1 runners must have smiled.

So here's to the final fight. The perfect fight. The one you choose to remember. The one that looks easy!

1 hour ago, Dr_Dave said:

I'm currently doing an SL1 run of DS3, after finding SL1 in DeS and DSR surprisingly enjoyable and doable. Here's an account of my time with Dancer...

I thought the run was going well... quite easy actually, as SL1 runs often seem to be. I had a mild stumble at Pontiff, but got through it with practice, including a couple of "one more hit" deaths that made it feel possible, you know?

Then I met Dancer.

Nothing in the game so far had prepared me for this. I'd strolled past her on my normal run, don't remember too many problems. But SL1 Dancer seemed like a brick wall. I soon mastered phase 1. Only the grab seemed to get me, and that was easy to deal with after practice.

But phase 2... I genuinely felt like it wasn't possible, as if it was beyond my ability. Every attack seemed too fast, too unpredictable, too much for my aging reflexes (which were never particularly sharp, even in my salad days). And with no summons available, no titanite chunks to farm, no possibility of meeting her attacks with anything but my own blunted skills, I set to work...

For a week, the feeble waves of my assaults crashed against the beaches of her defences, death after death, curse after curse, dismay upon dismay. Nothing seemed to progress my abilities. There seemed to be no options for learning. At some points I went backward, regressing into phase 1 deaths, or even deaths to the Lothric Knights outside.

Then something happened. Something wonderful. The invisible threads of my unconscious mind came together in two minutes of perfect harmony. For those two minutes I felt invincible, I felt as if I could see the very fabric of her thoughts. Everything was telegraphed, everything was obvious. Every roll was in the right direction, every swipe measured and restrained.

And then, she died...

I showed my girlfriend the video afterwards, giddily talking her through every move, every step, every thought.

"Not sure what you've been complaining about for the last week," she said. "That looked easy."

And isn't that the point? Isn't the final fight - the fight where the boss finally dies - "perfect" by default? It must have been... the right moves must have outweighed the misteps, or it wouldn't have been the final fight. The dice must have rolled favourably. Whatever gods watch over we SL1 runners must have smiled.

So here's to the final fight. The perfect fight. The one you choose to remember. The one that looks easy!

Thats amazing! Well done! Ive said before, beating Dancer at SL1 for me was one of the best moments ever in gaming, let alone just the Souls series.

The rest will feel easy now..... Champion Gundyr was my second favourite challenge because I wanted to parry all his attacks without getting hit. The final boss is a bit annoying but Dancer is miles harder.

14 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

That was a tough boss to do, it definitely does feel like dancing when you get in the zone and finally defeat it. I’ve only played DS3 once, what does an SL1 run mean?

It means where you complete the game without levelling up at all (Soul Level 1).

13 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

That was a tough boss to do, it definitely does feel like dancing when you get in the zone and finally defeat it. I’ve only played DS3 once, what does an SL1 run mean?

Playing through without spending any souls to level up. Staying at "soul level 1" basically. It's not as horrific as it sounds, since you can do a lot with weapons and spells. You just can't get hit much.

1 minute ago, Dr_Dave said:

Playing through without spending any souls to level up. Staying at "soul level 1" basically. It's not as horrific as it sounds, since you can do a lot with weapons and spells. You just can't get hit much.

Did you sequence break Dancer? Or did you do it when you are “supposed” to? I think the fact you mentioned Pontiff means it was the latter? 

Just now, kempstar said:

Did you sequence break Dancer? Or did you do it when you are “supposed” to? I think the fact you mentioned Pontiff means it was the latter? 

Definitely in order. I considered doing her early, but went with the normal route.

2 minutes ago, Dr_Dave said:

Definitely in order. I considered doing her early, but went with the normal route.

Its been a while since I did it, but I think its harder doing her early, because you can only have a max +3 weapon? But then it does make the next few much bosses much easier as you can get up to +7/8 earlier than you normally would.

2 hours ago, Dr_Dave said:

Then I met Dancer.

And then, she died...

Dude that was awesome, the way you chased her arse when she did her huge spin attack, I did her at SL1 but I had to get as far away as possible for that one, that took some serious balls! Good luck you're well prepared for SoC, The Twins and NK now :)

12 hours ago, Minion said:

Dude that was awesome, the way you chased her arse when she did her huge spin attack, I did her at SL1 but I had to get as far away as possible for that one, that took some serious balls! Good luck you're well prepared for SoC, The Twins and NK now :)

To be honest, that was more through pragmatism than balls. I was finding the running away was unreliable, unless I took cover behind the pillars, then that left me unable to smoothly engage again because of the difficulty getting lock on. So I experimented with staying close, and discovered that if you lock on, press up on the stick and keep your shield up, you'll walk behind her and 6/7 of her swipes will miss. It also puts you in a good position for getting in some quick swipes on her cooldown. Still only worked about 60% of the time though. If she started too close to a wall or corner, it was difficult to stay behind her.

On 27/02/2021 at 20:38, kempstar said:

The rest will feel easy now..... Champion Gundyr was my second favourite challenge because I wanted to parry all his attacks without getting hit. The final boss is a bit annoying but Dancer is miles harder.

I've just done Champion Gundyr and really enjoyed it! I've never parried before in a Souls game, never felt the need to, so there was a learning curve. But it did feel like a manageable thing to learn with a really satisfying payoff when it works! Great boss!

7 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Nice one on Dancer. I did it normally as pyro and it wasn't too bad as long as you could stay out of range of the swipes, I just hurled fireballs at her and ran away cowering when she went mental. I take it at SL1 you will pretty much die in one hit from her?

One hit if you're shield down, two if you've got it up. They happen so fast it might as well be one hit though!