Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

Started this over the weekend having completed Demon Souls and Bloodborne back to back and now being completely hooked on this type of game... Was breezing through it until I just got to the the Abyss Watchers and they’ve put me down enough times for me to switch it off hahah

13 minutes ago, therearerules said:

And done. Not the unnamed King, DLC dragon or Gael though. Frankly after getting ohko by the dragon and spending ages getting Gael down to third health (crazy lightning man), they were just two fights I couldn't be arsed with. I'll just watch the DLC ending on YouTube.

Overall I really enjoyed it. Not really any of the boss fights, except the ones I cheesed with summons, more the fun exploring and weapon choices. Some stunning locations and the feel of the weapons is still great.

Unlike DS1 I'm not about to jump back in. Partly because of Gamepass, but mostly because I'm not sure there's any fun easy sequence breaking to be had, and I can't be arsed to fight most of those bosses again.

I'll help you with Gael or TNK if you want. Fuck that dragon, though. 

12 hours ago, squirtle said:

I'll help you with Gael or TNK if you want. Fuck that dragon, though. 

Thanks, but I'm content leaving those terminal bosses unfinished. If there was further levels and exploration behind them I'd take you up on it, but I reckon I could fight Gael myself and win (first time around I got close, but I'd used most my estus already on the woman). I just don't particularly care or enjoy any of them enough to do so.

Best bits of the game:

First time I defeated an invader (actually, every time I defeated an invader)

Being summoned to gank around the Grand Archives, and the Ringed City, that last one was quite amazing. Honestly, it turns out these are just stupidly daft fun multiplayer games with an amazing world to explore.

Opening the doors to the Cathedral of the Deep and coming face to face with a giant.

Chopping the bridge with ALL the skeletons behind me.

Anor Londo.

Emerging from the Catacombs into the winter wonderland.

Pausing to look at the oddly textured floor in the smouldering lake, only for the ballister to blow it up and reveal a whole level below (not a great level, but liked the reveal).

The creepyness of the untended graves.

The amazing skybox when climbing Lothric Castle. Those flying things terrified me.

Climbing the tower in Farron Swamp, both seeing the demon at the top, and just getting to look over everything whilst thinking back to DS1. Lovely view. Actually, all the views from the top.

Smashing through the windows in the Dreg Heap, actually all the leaping, in all the levels, not just the set pieces. Wore the silvercat ring the entire game once I had it, just to jump down.

I think DS3 could be my favourite, even though its not necessarily the best.

I was absolutely hooked on the SL1 run, and I think beating the Dancer on SL1 is up there with the most fun ive had on any Souls game, even though it must have taken at least 400 attempts (seriously).

I might play this again, for probably the millionth time, once if done with DeSR.

4 minutes ago, kempstar said:

I think DS3 could be my favourite, even though its not necessarily the best.

I was absolutely hooked on the SL1 run, and I think beating the Dancer on SL1 is up there with the most fun ive had on any Souls game, even though it must have taken at least 400 attempts (seriously).

I might play this again, for probably the millionth time, once if done with DeSR.

Yeah I'm with you dude, it's going to be great playing it at 60fps on console :)

Just now, Tomdominer said:

Bit out of the loop here. Has all Souls games got a next gen upgrade then?

It's not an upgrade as such just reported that Dark Souls 3 runs at solid 60 now on PS5 rather than the 40-50 Pro version, Bloodborne is still at 30 apparently, DS Remastered was always 60 and again hasn't changed I don't think, there is this thread with some good info, there is mention of Bloodborne loading much quicker :)

15 minutes ago, squirtle said:

What's the issue with him? I can't seem to remember much of an issue with him... 

To be honest I think I’ve just got fatigue from playing all day... None the less I still screamed fuck you at the tv and turned it off. Will try again tomorrow. I assume he isn’t the last boss? 

3 minutes ago, kris_doe said:

To be honest I think I’ve just got fatigue from playing all day... None the less I still screamed fuck you at the tv and turned it off. Will try again tomorrow. I assume he isn’t the last boss? 

Not even close...  Have you been the other way after beating The Dancer? 

1 minute ago, squirtle said:

Not even close...  Have you been the other way after beating The Dancer? 

After the dancer I went straight up and assumed dragonslayer was next... I did venture down a lift into a poison part of the castle but swiftly left that area haha 

6 minutes ago, kris_doe said:

After the dancer I went straight up and assumed dragonslayer was next... I did venture down a lift into a poison part of the castle but swiftly left that area haha 

Try going back that way. Stick to the right and you'll find a bit of a short cut back. The boss is easily accessible then, and he's not too hard and it leads to, in my opinion, the biggest fuck moment of the game. 

On 16/12/2020 at 13:02, kempstar said:

even though it must have taken at least 400 attempts (seriously).

To this day i still don't understand players who bash their heads against a difficulty wall to prove some kind of point, and continue to bash until the wall breaks? Those numbers are like Super Meat Boy refresh attempts?

My memory is like a sieve, and i don't play these games for lore. I play them because (DLC spoilers):

Spoiler

Gael is the greatest FromSoftware fight to date! Yes that includes Ludwig from Bloodborne. The Gael fight was a culmination of all three Souls games coming to a head. And what a spectacle! I remember it vaguely because i phased out during the confrontation and was running on pure muscle memory and instinct. I beat him first time! Some might say thats no big deal, because its an honest fight, with no gimmicks, but thats what makes it so perfect, and the most memorable of all. You cannot play DS3 without playing all the DLC.

3 minutes ago, Curtis said:

My memory is like a sieve, and i don't play these games for lore. I play them because (DLC spoilers):

Hide contents

Gael is the greatest FromSoftware fight to date! Yes that includes Ludwig from Bloodborne. The Gael fight was a culmination of all three Souls games coming to a head. And what a spectacle! I remember it vaguely because i phased out during the confrontation and was running on pure muscle memory and instinct. I beat him first time! Some might say thats no big deal, because its an honest fight, with no gimmicks, but thats what makes it so perfect, and the most memorable of all. You cannot play DS3 without playing all the DLC.

Well the bit I was referring to is in the main game. But, no. Gael is not the best fight. 

Bloodborne DLC has Lady Maria and Kos.

Yes he's an overly aggressive fetus, but the fight is unforgettable.

Don't dismiss Gael. The build up. The explosive aggro. The arena. The space but no space to maneuver. The inevitable second phase. The worry, the dodge dodge don't get hit. The third phase. The lunacy! It felt like a fever dream.

If you loaded it up right now with a decent build save i would die repeatedly! It was a culmination of all things Souls for me, and i crushed him first go!

That is why i remember it, and cherish it. 

1 minute ago, Curtis said:

Bloodborne DLC has Lady Maria and Kos.

Yes he's an overly aggressive fetus, but the fight is unforgettable.

Don't dismiss Gael. The build up. The explosive aggro. The arena. The space but no space to maneuver. The inevitable second phase. The worry, the dodge dodge don't get hit. The third phase. The lunacy! It felt like a fever dream.

If you loaded it up right now with a decent build save i would die repeatedly! It was a culmination of all things Souls for me, and i crushed him first go!

That is why i remember it, and cherish it. 

It took me a few goes, I just like the whole setting and background to Maria. It's an incredible setting and fight.