rllmuk

I wish I’d recorded all the ridiculous moments I’ve had with this fight. One where I applied lightning to my sword - first thing he did was grab me and toss me over the side. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah the Champ needs to be done alone, it's one of the best fights in the game! Tip, nearly all his attacks can be parried ;)

@HarryBizzle, have you played Bloodborne? I always felt the Champ was the most Bloodborne boss in DS3, he's super aggressive like Abhorrent Beast in the chalices, he needs to be played as such. 

Some more shamless self promotion, heres a vid of me role playing our favourite Sun Bro against the Champ:

• Upvote 3
18 minutes ago, dug said:

Lol I've found sword master to be of precisely zero use in that fight whenever I tried using him.

In fairness to him, the first time I encountered him, he ran off a cliff and died immediately, so at least he’s consistent. 

• Upvote 2

Aaaand I got him. Thankfully XBL seems to be broken as it’s a pretty awful display on my part. The sad thing is I’ve had tuna against him which were 99% perfect and he took me out in one go. This was a horrendous mess. I tried partying, @Minion and got 2/5 and paid dearly for the 3 I missed. 

The whole area after, though:

Spoiler

Very confusing. An empty Firelink except for a creepy hand maiden. She seemed slightly different to the one in proper Firelink. 

The darkness and dreaminess in Untended Graves made me think it was a vision of the future, if the fire doesn’t get linked, but I got back and spoke to everyone in Firelink and Ludleth spoke about what I found in the past tense and said that they tried to save the firekeeper whose eyeballs I’m now carrying around in my pocket. 

So do I give them to the firekeeper? The description says they’ll let her see horrors she was never meant to, which doesn’t exactly sell it to me.

I also saw this message:

1gSJC5j.jpg

But seem to be missing something. Can’t get that coffin to do anything. 

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Aaaand I got him. Thankfully XBL seems to be broken as it’s a pretty awful display on my part. The sad thing is I’ve had tuna against him which were 99% perfect and he took me out in one go. This was a horrendous mess. I tried partying, @Minion and got 2/5 and paid dearly for the 3 I missed. 

The whole area after, though:

Hide contents

Very confusing. An empty Firelink except for a creepy hand maiden. She seemed slightly different to the one in proper Firelink. 

The darkness and dreaminess in Untended Graves made me think it was a vision of the future, if the fire doesn’t get linked, but I got back and spoke to everyone in Firelink and Ludleth spoke about what I found in the past tense and said that they tried to save the firekeeper whose eyeballs I’m now carrying around in my pocket. 

So do I give them to the firekeeper? The description says they’ll let her see horrors she was never meant to, which doesn’t exactly sell it to me.

I also saw this message:

1gSJC5j.jpg

But seem to be missing something. Can’t get that coffin to do anything. 

Nice dude well done, parrying is risky for sure but glad you got the Champ down in the end! That screenshot you posted may just mean the tree jump you can do in firelink to get on the roof, Untended Graves is the same place so notes appear in both.... Or someone is fucking with you... It's up to you what you do with the eyes...

• Upvote 3

Thanks. There don’t seem to be that many Free Yurt moments in this, so I may well chance it. 

and to answer your previous question, I have played Bloodborne but was pretty rubbish at it and only made it as far as Rom. Having a much better time with this, though. Am keen to go back to DS1 as Stanshall mentioned, but i feel like this has got a lot of QoL improvements that make it a bit more friendly. I don’t seem to recall being able to fast travel in DS1, for example. But I only made it as far as the Gaping Dragon. 

• Upvote 1

@HarryBizzle

Arguably one of the strengths of DS1 is that you can't fast travel from the start, and it grounds you much more in the world. You have to commit to every journey and when you get lost, you're properly lost

DS3 is definitely more accessible but I would argue it also loses a certain something through that. That's not me saying 'hard = good', but there's something very committed about the original Dark Souls. No concessions. 

• Upvote 2

I do have to say that in DS1 when you unlocked a shortcut it felt a lot more meaningful and the way the world fit together felt so much better thought out. At least for as far as I got. In this, huge chunks of levels are basically rendered redundant when you’ve unlocked a shortcut and there’s not a huge amount of reason to return to previous areas as you can just fast travel everywhere. 

I think I will probably finish this, take a short break and do the DLC and then give Remastered a go. Although I popped my head into the thread and the bed of chaos sounds bad and Ornstein and Smough have me quaking in my boots. 

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say cakewalk, personally, but O&S certainly won't seem as arduous to someone who has completed DS3, compared to someone whose first Souls game is DS1. Bed of Chaos is still a pile of fucking bollocks though.

• Upvote 2

Bed of Chaos isn't even challenging, it's just stupid.

I think the DLC for DS3 and Bloodborne have the hardest fights in the series, with a few notable exceptions.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Benny said:

Bed of Chaos isn't even challenging, it's just stupid.

I think the DLC for DS3 and Bloodborne have the hardest fights in the series, with a few notable exceptions.

I can't get past Bed Of Chaos on DS1 remake at all. Not once. Didn't give me any difficulty at all on original DS1.

18 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Thanks. There don’t seem to be that many Free Yurt moments in this, so I may well chance it. 

and to answer your previous question, I have played Bloodborne but was pretty rubbish at it and only made it as far as Rom. Having a much better time with this, though. Am keen to go back to DS1 as Stanshall mentioned, but i feel like this has got a lot of QoL improvements that make it a bit more friendly. I don’t seem to recall being able to fast travel in DS1, for example. But I only made it as far as the Gaping Dragon. 

Finished 1, 3 and a third of 2 during lockdown and two thirds of the way thru Bloodborne at the moment. I think 3 is my fave Dark Souls game but Bloodborne is my overall fave I love the chalice dungeons.

I would def recommend going back and playing 1 it's still great, you'll have a much easier time after playing 3, there is something self contained about the way 1 connects together that just makes me remember it fondly.

• Upvote 2

I think I probably will. I also have Demon's Souls lying around. I think it's the only physical video game I own (imported from Canada in 2009 after reading the Edge Review), but I never got very far. Might dig out a PS3 and give that a go, too.

I've been pottering around the Grand Archives and have just sort of stumbled my way to the end of it. There was a big hat, axe guy and sorceror who looked like they were going to kill me so I just ran straight past them and found a shortcut. Sort of ruined that for myself. I then ran past the most annoying set of zombies and lothric knights ever and am now getting smacked about by Lorio and Lothuigi.

• Upvote 1

L&L down. Pretty easy fight, all told. Good shield and roll work sees off pretty much everything he can throw at you and his attacks  easy to read and predict. I found myself getting really annoyed at myself rather than the game because every time I died it 100% felt like my own fault. 

Spoiler

I also really like that when he speaks to you he doesn’t talk in complete riddles and I think I basically know what they want.

If I take the bonfire to the first flame, can I come back before beating it or am I stuck there?

• Upvote 2

Nah you can still warp back from there so can easily do the DLC first. Also, you've probably missed a massive area that might be worth doing beforehand. See if you can work it out.. 

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

L&L down. Pretty easy fight, all told. Good shield and roll work sees off pretty much everything he can throw at you and his attacks  easy to read and predict. I found myself getting really annoyed at myself rather than the game because every time I died it 100% felt like my own fault. 

Hide contents

I also really like that when he speaks to you he doesn’t talk in complete riddles and I think I basically know what they want.

If I take the bonfire to the first flame, can I come back before beating it or am I stuck there?

Man you nailed it well done that was awesome, I love that fight because as you say the rolling and reacting to his moves is so much fun when you get the timing right, love that you;re rocking the claymore too! You can go ahead and fight the final boss if you want or you can find the secret area, tbh it's so obtuse to find that feel free to ask or search on the web as it.

• Upvote 1

@Minion Thanks! It felt really good - once you get into a rhythm, as you say. I also started keeping an eye on my stamina - all that shield + dodging can leave you with none left if you’re not careful and if you try to just hold LB down the whole fight. I’m not really sure why a SoC would want to stop me from linking the fire, but nevermind.

I tried the SoC once last night and managed to get him to his second stage but then he took me out. The first stage seemed pretty manageable, to be honest. I don’t know if he has more stages but even the second stage wasn’t horrifically bad.

Re: the area Talvalin mentioned:

Spoiler

I don’t think I would have found that myself! I remember seeing that area with the dragon statue and people sitting there and there was a message that said try gesture. I tried a few and nothing happened. Just from the name, it sounds awesome, but I’m going to kill SoC first and then go there.

I also dug this out of a box last night:

ECpQSMil.jpg

I’m really keen to go back to it and see what it’s like with all I’ve learnt from this one. When I first played it, I found it totally bewildering and it wasn’t even out in the UK so there was nowhere near as much info online about it.

• Upvote 3
42 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

@Minion Thanks! It felt really good - once you get into a rhythm, as you say. I also started keeping an eye on my stamina - all that shield + dodging can leave you with none left if you’re not careful and if you try to just hold LB down the whole fight. I’m not really sure why a SoC would want to stop me from linking the fire, but nevermind.

Think of it as fighting you to determine whether you are "worthy".

You're along the right lines with the other thing.

The best fight in the entire base game (IMO) being in an optional area is so Dark Souls

1 hour ago, robdood said:

I didn't know people had done this! Proper moveset and BB dashing and everything :O  

Yeah, they had assets in from bloodbourne...and the rest, available in game for a awhile and in some mods, but the animations replacements are sweet!

I'm hoping the guy behind the awesome cinders mod will integrate them!

Cinders, for anyone that wants to try, its brilliant! (1.78 i am referring to here)  - https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls3/mods/310?tab=description

I seem to be doing infinitely worse against the SoC than my first go at him. I’ve only gotten him to his second stage about twice. He can be a bit tricky - there’s a couple of moves that he has slight variations of - if he fails his poke, sometimes he’ll turn and hit you the other way, etc.

And when he uses a staff and throws spells at you he’s an absolute pain to deal with. Those little missiles that just hang around him waiting to fire at you when least convenient are really annoying.

Yeah, I don’t like it very much. Every other boss has felt like they fit very well into the world but this just feels like a lot of video game tropes - he’s the final boss so he has all the moves! He’s testing you to see if you’re worthy! Er, ok. But I’ve literally just got done smashing in the faces of 4 different people who were worthy. So why not just let me take a crack at it? What if you kill someone who is worthy but not a good fighter? Aren’t you dooming the world? I mean, did Ludleth beat this guy?!

Anyway, I’m gonna get him sooner or later.

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, I don’t like it very much. Every other boss has felt like they fit very well into the world but this just feels like a lot of video game tropes - he’s the final boss so he has all the moves! 

This is exactly what he is, from a lore perspective. Even the music references a particular boss from another Souls game. He's the result of total convergence of the world and its different timelines, including different player-controlled builds. It's a bit hammy but it is deliberate and supported by the lore. Look at the world converging on itself in that area. 

The first time the familiar piano kicked in, I had a lump in my throat. It really felt like the whole series had led up to that point. 

• Upvote 3