rllmuk
Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

Champion is down! 

No damage taken, five parries and ripostes. I first started trying with a raw broadsword + 10 and Carthus Flame Ark, but as I wanted to do ripostes only, I tried it with a dagger.

I levelled up a dagger to +7, and stuck a fire gem on it because I couldnt be bothered to keep buffing any more, and it does absolutely insane damage, nearly 1,000 per hit!

This was probably one of the most fun fights in the whole series, it is so satisfying landing a parry successfully.

• Upvote 1

Incidentally I can parry the charge attack every time. You need to get far away enough that he doesnt run into you, then hit parry as he starts to twist to do the spin attack.

12 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Incidentally I can parry the charge attack every time. You need to get far away enough that he doesnt run into you, then hit parry as he starts to twist to do the spin attack.

Yeah I always instinctively tried to parry when the attack starts hence why I gave up on that. Well done though that sounds like an awesome win! I love fighting The Champ, deffo one of the best bosses.

Dragonslayer Armour, Sulyvahn and Aldritch down. DSA and Sulyvahn were easy with the prisoners chain, I did them both 3rd try. 

Aldritch, as usual, was a really annoying fight. I probably did it about 50 times, until I remembered how to do it!

So now its Yhorm, Princes Lothric and SoC to go. Im not worried at all about Princes Lothric, as I beat them loads of times helping others. SoC on the other hand.... I found him quite tricky  before.

• Upvote 1

My 7 year old son loves DS and is playing his own game along with me. He beat the Abyss Watchers first time on the weekend. Just with the help of the summon near the door. I was well impressed. On the Catacombs now and just took down the Demon with the help of the mimic chest.

• Upvote 3

On 06/05/2019 at 10:09, kempstar said:

Dragonslayer Armour, Sulyvahn and Aldritch down. DSA and Sulyvahn were easy with the prisoners chain, I did them both 3rd try. 

Aldritch, as usual, was a really annoying fight. I probably did it about 50 times, until I remembered how to do it!

So now its Yhorm, Princes Lothric and SoC to go. Im not worried at all about Princes Lothric, as I beat them loads of times helping others. SoC on the other hand.... I found him quite tricky  before.

I thought the same about the twins because it’s the fight I’ve done most but it was actually rock hard, Lothric is a beast when you’re SL1, the 2nd stage is rock hard. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Minion said:

I thought the same about the twins because it’s the fight I’ve done most but it was actually rock hard, Lothric is a beast when you’re SL1, the 2nd stage is rock hard. Good luck!

I was literally just about to post the same thing :lol:

I can do part 1 without taking a hit. In part 2, those bloody magic balls are so annoying. If I get hit by one, often it stuns me so I get one shotted by another attack. The soul spears are annoying too, as they come so fast, and also one shot me.

I am at least making steady progress though. I am trying to attack from behind so they are both getting hit. I certainly dont see it taking the 600 or so times it took me to beat the dancer!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kempstar said:

Really though, DS1 SL1 is an absolute joke compared to this.

A joke as in easier or harder? The bit that kept getting me was the start of phase 2, I died to so many one shots straight after that cut scene. You'll eventually be able to avoid the floating balls or most of them, a bit like with Aldrich but yeah they really hurt! Good job man.

Princes are down. That was such an awesome fight.

So its just SoC to go.... although I am tempted to try all the DLC bosses first as I am enjoying this so much. 

How would you rate them difficulty wise compared to SoC? I never actually bothered with Nameless King.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Princes are down. That was such an awesome fight.

So its just SoC to go.... although I am tempted to try all the DLC bosses first as I am enjoying this so much. 

How would you rate them difficulty wise compared to SoC? I never actually bothered with Nameless King.

SoC/NK gets you prepared for the DLC bosses, they are all harder except perhaps Champions Gravetender but that was a really really annoying fight at SL1. Friede was rock rock hard and then the Demon Princes was a further step up, again took me a long time but got there in the end. Midir was my favourite I killed him without taking damage so he is easier than many once you know his moveset. I never did Gael he eluded me and I finally got burnt out but I may go back one day just to get him as he is the only bosses I couldn't do. Essentially most of the DLC bosses are gank bosses so it's a lot of running away and trying to split them up. I would say Nameless King is a good test for the DLC bosses.

On 14/05/2019 at 23:42, Ballzzie said:

Old Demon King is an absolute bastard when all you can do is Melee!

Scratch that. Smashed him with the help if of 2 summons and the Fume US.

Here's a video of Lobosjr's stream of the Poorly Translated mod of DS3. All the text in the game has been run through Google translate a load of times until it's complete nonsense. There's even text-to-speech voices for the NPCs, so they actually say all the gibberish. And it's fucking hilarious. I was in tears just with the character creation stuff at the beginning. Worth watching the first few minutes, even if the entire six hours might be a tad excessive.

• Upvote 1

I beat Nameless King..... with my “normal” character. It was laughably easy compared to pretty much anything at SL1. That said, I never managed it until now. SL1 taught me how to dodge!

Over the past year or so, pretty much the only thing I have played is souls games. I replayed them all - Demons Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Dark Souls 3. All the DLC. Different builds, different weapons. SL1 runs. Its been amazing! I must have spent 300 hours over the last year. Its been incredible, but finally, regrettably... Im done now.

• Upvote 1

I've just finished DS2 and having left that game for a few months when I got to Drangelic Castle, I still have a bit of an itch to be scratched. 

I have DS3 already purchased, do people reckon I should go straight in to it, or am I likely to get fatigue? Since 2016 I've went through the entire series, doing roughly one a year, and DS3 is the last one standing (apart from Sekiro, if that counts). As much as I fancy starting it tonight, I don't want to ruin it by becoming bored midway through. 

Yes, yes you should! Imo, 3 is vastly better than 2! It will however feel a bit different than 2 ;)

Pick the knight and dive in!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Parksey said:

I've just finished DS2 and having left that game for a few months when I got to Drangelic Castle, I still have a bit of an itch to be scratched. 

I have DS3 already purchased, do people reckon I should go straight in to it, or am I likely to get fatigue? Since 2016 I've went through the entire series, doing roughly one a year, and DS3 is the last one standing (apart from Sekiro, if that counts). As much as I fancy starting it tonight, I don't want to ruin it by becoming bored midway through. 

See the post above. Ive pretty much re-played them all in sequence, and loved every minute of it.

My favourite game changes regularly, but at the moment I genuinely think it is DS3. I dont think anything compares to the first 7 or 8 or so areas of dark souls, but there is a steep drop off in quality, and some of the later levels are slightly less brilliant. DS3 is top quality all the way through, if anything the levels get better. DS2 as good as it is, is not even in the conversation.

DS3 also had the best bosses, there are so many great ones. 

Go and play it! Maybe try a completely different build to what you did in DS2, everything is viable.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'm thinking of trying a DEX/Magic build. I'm not sure how viable magic is in this game, but apart from very late in the game in Dark Souls (when I had level ups to spare) I've never really dabbled in magic.

I tend to not like splitting my focus as I find that you end up half as good in two stats rather than a powerhouse in one, but might give it a go this time. 

Bloodborne I was basically a DEX machine. Loads of stamina and fast attacks. Can't remember what I did in Demons, but in Dark Souls I think I used a spear/halberd/rapier with lightning attached to it. And some spells later. 

Dark Souls 2 I just went for a STR melee build. Was doing loads of damage and had the health to take a hit. Didn't really use my shield and just dodge. Had the stamina to do that, though not to the extent of Bloodborne (seems hard to rack up the stamina in DS2). 

Any recommendations for starting class? 

Start as a knight and go pyro. I had a rough time with magic in this, but levelling a knight will see you through the early game, and pyro gets powerful at about 3/4 way through. 

As I said, pick the knight and dive in !

Tbh, the knight seems the 'best' start class while you play through and learn, the., try summit different!

Also, that cinders mod mentioned above is interesting, gives you a different way of playing! Would recommend!

Er, pyro scales with int and faith in this, not just the glove.

8 hours ago, Parksey said:

Yeah I'm thinking of trying a DEX/Magic build. I'm not sure how viable magic is in this game, but apart from very late in the game in Dark Souls (when I had level ups to spare) I've never really dabbled in magic.

I tend to not like splitting my focus as I find that you end up half as good in two stats rather than a powerhouse in one, but might give it a go this time. 

Bloodborne I was basically a DEX machine. Loads of stamina and fast attacks. Can't remember what I did in Demons, but in Dark Souls I think I used a spear/halberd/rapier with lightning attached to it. And some spells later. 

Dark Souls 2 I just went for a STR melee build. Was doing loads of damage and had the health to take a hit. Didn't really use my shield and just dodge. Had the stamina to do that, though not to the extent of Bloodborne (seems hard to rack up the stamina in DS2). 

Any recommendations for starting class? 

Magic is a right pain in this as they gave you...whatever the blue bar is called. And it pressures your Estus flask to split between HP and MP

It can be overcome, and by late game you'll be powerful. But you're handicapped more than normal for magic at the start. (Go Dex/Int if you're going to do it, and have an Int Scaling Weapon as back up...)

16 hours ago, kempstar said:

My favourite game changes regularly, but at the moment I genuinely think it is DS3. I dont think anything compares to the first 7 or 8 or so areas of dark souls, but there is a steep drop off in quality, and some of the later levels are slightly less brilliant. DS3 is top quality all the way through, if anything the levels get better. DS2 as good as it is, is not even in the conversation.

DS3 also had the best bosses, there are so many great ones. 

Yes my man! 100 pos' for this if I could. DS3 is the best overall in my opinion too.

I think I had misremembered how difficult Friede was. I had also forgotten how incredible the music was.

I love this game :wub:

• Upvote 1

So I did go straight into this after completing Dark Souls 2. 

I half-regret it, half don't. 

Firstly, why I do regret it a little. I think it would have felt a lot more impressive coming from it fresh. I am still sort of in DS2 mode and am finding the pace of it a little uncomfortable at first. I've platinumed Bloodborne so I will get used to it, but it's definitely a bit of a shock coming from a much slower, bulkier game. Your character in DS3 darts around even in armour. 

Secondly, this is effecting my dodging. It could be that DS2 and it's ADP state leaves you with quite generous i-frames. Could be I am not used to the pace, but I'm definitely not as confident dodging and not taking damage. 

I also often seen to get slashed when I attack, due to how quickly the enemies can counter and attack themselves. In DS2 a lot of the enemies are quite slow - big beefy dudes in armour populate alot of the levels. Despite being a veteran of the games now, on the Wall I found I was a bit clumsy and getting caught. I'm slowly getting used to it too. 

The frame rate was also a shock too. I don't know why I presumed it would be 60fps, but coming from the buttery smooth DS2, it was extremely jarring. The pace of the enemy attacks coupled with a stuttery frame rate meant that I had trouble just focusing and making out what was happening on the screen. 

But I don't regret it because of course it's an outstanding game. I've only seen the first two real areas (the Wall and I'm partially through the Undead Settlement) and the environment and skyboxes are way more interesting than DS2. You can make out buildings in the distance and I can presume i'm going to be over there eventually, rather than DS2's almost self-contained levels arranged in a corridor. 

The layouts are much more interesting too. It's a little disappointing that the game often gives you three or four routes, but they all end up at the same end point (have a feeling this is how Undead Settlement is going to go), as you do lose the original DS's feeling of "Christ, I have no idea where I am, I've gone too far from safety and I'm pretty sure this isn't where I'm meant to be yet". But though the levels seem linear, the paths through them are interesting and fairly complex. It makes exploring fun, even if it loses DS's sense of a coiled 3D space.  

The two bosses I've fought so far have been decent. Gundyr was easy and i beat him comfortably first time (nekkid katana dude was harder). Vordt was trickier due to From making beast bosses that are faster than their camera. His frantic charge attack kept getting me but apart from that I had his moves down. 

It definitely smacks of Bloodborne so far. Part of that is the areas seemingly a little bit Yarnham-y so far (loads of villagers with packs of dogs take me back to Bloodborne too). And also the pace of the game is definitely reminiscent of its immediate predecessor. As BB is one of my favourite games of all time, I'm sure it's just a case of getting used to the increased speed and lower frame rate and I'll be fine. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with most of that. Keep at it though - You are only a few hours away from what is one of the best levels in the entire series.

Spoiler

Cathedral of the Deep :wub:

• Upvote 5

Ive had a couple of goes at Soul of Cinder at SL1, and really he doesnt seem that bad? I almost managed to get him down to his second phase. From what I remember, the second phase was probably easier, as you can just bait the jumping slash continually?

Certainly seems very easy compared to other bosses (Dancer especially).