Some Pyromancies don't require any points in int or faith, so they can be useful to have available as additional utility. In my last DS3 playthrough I was full Pyro, but you can use the spells effectively even with just basic stats. You can improve them easily by upgrading the Pyromancy flame

EDIT: you will need a minimum Attunement stats though for at least one spell slot.

• Upvote 1

Man, Lothric Castle is a tough area. I've:

Spoiler

Killed a dragon and unlocked a shortcut elevator in front of a fog gate.

I can see behind the fog gate and I don't fancy it:

Spoiler

txchU1k.jpg

:blink2:

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I was going to ask about that, actually. I have got hardly any Fairy Points and not bothered learning a single spell, but have found loads of tomes and given them to pyromatey and Karla. I haven't found many miracle tomes or whatever.

I've focused all my points on combat/health/stamina and don't really even know how the magic works in this. I equipped the pyromancy flame once without anything attuned, waved it about a bit and have since forgotten about it. What should I be learning? 

Personally, I'd say if you've made it this far without any magic, you needn't worry about starting now. My preferred play style is full melee with no spells. Although a bow can come in handy for pulling single enemies from groups.

• Upvote 2

Definitely my favourite From game, after Bloodborne. Imo DS peaked with the third installment; the PS4 had the power to truly render Miyazaki's excellent mythology in all its (fallen) glory.

And it made for some amazing trailers as well:

• Upvote 2

Some of the bonfire placement in this is really odd. Like the Dragonslayer one is about 50m away from the grand archives. But there's other places where there's no bonfire for absolutely ages. Very strange.

Anyway, that boss wasn't as exciting as I had hoped from my previous screenshot, but still good fun. Only took me a few goes to beat, but after getting stuck on the Dancer for so long, I'm happy to have not hit another stumbling block.

Spoiler

Those projectile hits at the end! How flipping cheap! It made the end of that far more tense than it needed to be.

• Upvote 1

Nice invinci-rolling @HarryBizzle in that vid against the Dancer! You've come a long way from that vid you made against the Abyss Watchers.

Before you get to the end (and you'll know when you are), I'd definitely recommend both playing the DLC chapters as well as looking at a guide to see how to access a very obscure, but brilliant, optional area that you're very unlikely to stumble across by accident.

• Upvote 1

@robdood - if you look at your video compared with Harry's, she does a shit tonne of damage against him and his relatively massively health bar, but comparatively a lot less damage against you. The armour you're wearing doesn't look much heavier than Harry's, so how come you're taking so little damage? If you watch Harry's video, more or less every attack she lands against him takes off a chunk of health that it bigger than your health bar, yet it still takes 2 or more of her hits to kill you.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Nice invinci-rolling @HarryBizzle in that vid against the Dancer! You've come a long way from that vid you made against the Abyss Watchers.

Before you get to the end (and you'll know when you are), I'd definitely recommend both playing the DLC chapters as well as looking at a guide to see how to access a very obscure, but brilliant, optional area that you're very unlikely to stumble across by accident.

Thanks! As you can see I took your heart about two handing to heart. I do seem to forget to block while two handing, though.

Re: The DLC - is there a big benefit to doing them before finishing if I choose the option to not move to NG+ and then play them? I'm quite keen to see the credits roll.

And I noticed that with Minion's Dancer vid as well - I was taking hits that look bigger than his whole health bar but didn't seem to have quite the same impact.

This came up in my feed and it's not a SL1 level run - it's much worse! 

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Re: The DLC - is there a big benefit to doing them before finishing if I choose the option to not move to NG+ and then play them? I'm quite keen to see the credits roll.

It might be different with this game, but with DaS1 at least you had to replay a big chunk of the game again after defeating the final boss to be able to access the DLC content, and even then it's a late game area so you need to be levelled up. The DLC bosses in this are harder than anything in the base game, so you want to be going in on a high level, I'd say at least 80. I'm not sure whether the game lets you access the DLC after beating the base game's final boss, however, or whether you have to go almost all the way through NG+ again.

You can access the DLC even after beating the final boss. There is no benefit to doing the DLC beforehand, it doesn't affect the ending or anything.

• Upvote 1
46 minutes ago, dug said:

You can access the DLC even after beating the final boss. There is no benefit to doing the DLC beforehand, it doesn't affect the ending or anything.

Oh, I see. Well, in that case, do it afterwards. Can you go back to the main game after killing the final boss, then? I really can't remember. Could Harry still do the optional area I mentioned 

Spoiler

Archdragon Peak

after defeating SoC?

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

@robdood - if you look at your video compared with Harry's, she does a shit tonne of damage against him and his relatively massively health bar, but comparatively a lot less damage against you. The armour you're wearing doesn't look much heavier than Harry's, so how come you're taking so little damage? If you watch Harry's video, more or less every attack she lands against him takes off a chunk of health that it bigger than your health bar, yet it still takes 2 or more of her hits to kill you.

I assume he's using Lloyds Shield Ring like I did in my SL1 against most bosses, at full health you take largely reduced damage meaning you can tank a hit from most bosses at full health.

Well done @HarryBizzle Lothric Castle is no joke of an area , both Dancer and Dragon Slayer Armour in one night awesome! Re: the bonfire placement, I agree it's strange there but it's because  of Co-Op/PvP, and the GA fire marks the beginning of that locked in co-op area, they give you the boss fire so that you can get back to Firelink without opening your game up to Invasions again. 

• Upvote 3
38 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Oh, I see. Well, in that case, do it afterwards. Can you go back to the main game after killing the final boss, then? I really can't remember. Could Harry still do the optional area I mentioned 

Reveal hidden contents

Archdragon Peak

after defeating SoC?

Yeah, it asks you if you want to go into ng+ after killing the final boss. If you say no you have full access to the rest of the game. As well as the area you mentioned, there's another optional area, 

Spoiler

Untended Graves

which features a really good boss fight, in my opinion.

• Upvote 4
3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I can tell you, a lot of Dancer's attacks would one shot me, ie that grab. There is also counter damage, ie if you get hit while running, or recovering from a roll, or mid attack you take significantly more damage. 

But to answer your question, its mainly because of something that highlights how bullshit dark souls levelling really is.. The damage is % based in a lot of cases.. I was soul level 1 in that video Ffs! 

Mad innit. 

1 hour ago, Minion said:

I assume he's using Lloyds Shield Ring like I did in my SL1 against most bosses, at full health you take largely reduced damage meaning you can tank a hit from most bosses at full health.

Well done @HarryBizzle Lothric Castle is no joke of an area , both Dancer and Dragon Slayer Armour in one night awesome! Re: the bonfire placement, I agree it's strange there but it's because  of Co-Op/PvP, and the GA fire marks the beginning of that locked in co-op area, they give you the boss fire so that you can get back to Firelink without opening your game up to Invasions again. 

Oooh I probably did use  Lloyd's ring! 

Spoiler

J5ztHMN.jpg

Uh... ok then.

Also, I’ve been watching a couple of Vaati Vidya videos and apart from his silly Aussie-ASMR voice, they’re really good. There was one about who those phantom kind of characters you see walking about in Irythyll are and I really enjoyed that little nugget.

• Upvote 1

Obviously, I did it!

Was half expecting to get pulled into it or something horrific to jump out. The archives are an absolute maze to me at the moment but pretty interesting.

I’ve been watching bits of DS1 lore and it’s made me appreciate just how good this looks, even on Xbox One. Massively jelly of you PC Mustards.

15 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:
  Reveal hidden contents

J5ztHMN.jpg

Uh... ok then.

Also, I’ve been watching a couple of Vaati Vidya videos and apart from his silly Aussie-ASMR voice, they’re really good. There was one about who those phantom kind of characters you see walking about in Irythyll are and I really enjoyed that little nugget.

Have you been through the Consumed Gardens yet? You might want to have a look round there before doing The Grand Archives.

The more I learn about the lore of DS1 and how it fits in with what I know about DS3, the less I’m convinced they need George R R Martin’s help with what they do next. It’s brilliant. 

Except for maybe the giant, comic looking primordial serpents. Less of that. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

The more I learn about the lore of DS1 and how it fits in with what I know about DS3, the less I’m convinced they need George R R Martin’s help with what they do next. It’s brilliant. 

Except for maybe the giant, comic looking primordial serpents. Less of that. 

You really should play DS:R next. It's vastly superior. 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Fargo said:

Did this ever get a pro/X patch? 

The framerate got unlocked so it flits between 40 and 60 and anywhere in between, it doesn't bother me much but I've seen a lot of complaints about it online. 

On 04/07/2020 at 09:53, HarryBizzle said:
  Hide contents

J5ztHMN.jpg

Uh... ok then.

This is where I've stalled on DS3 for ages. Something about the area just doesn't click with me.

I died there so went to potter around CK’s Garden:

Spoiler

Beat Ocerios. He wasn’t very tough. It didn’t even occur to me to record it, as I do automatically after beating each boss. Interesting character though. I think he’s the only boss who’s actually acknowledged me enough to say something. The others just try to kill me on sight. 

I haven’t fully explored his garden but it doesn’t seem very big. 

I’m now experiencing serious deja vu in Untended Graves. In more ways than one - Gundyr is kicking my ass all over again.

• Upvote 2

Maaaan, he is tricky. So fast, some very tough to predict moves. My invinci-rolling needs some work. I've got him down to about two hits from death but he got me with that damn charge attack.

Get annoyed with repeatedly getting 2 hits from defeating CG and him then killing me with that damn charge combo > Summon Sword Master > He runs off to kill zombies and falls off a cliff and dies.

<_<

• Empathy 1