rllmuk
Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

Yeah, I’ve been through it (you need to to get to Yhorm, unless there’s another way round I’ve missed), but I didn’t do a very thorough job of cleaning it out as some of the enemies in there can be tough and there’s lots of them in one section. 

I was poking around in my inventory yesterday and found a couple of keys for things in the dungeon so definitely need to go back and have another look around now that I’m more powerful. 

I’m also kind of regretting putting so many points in Dex, as I really like strength weapons. Are there any weapons which give you a boost for having a good amount of both?

You can go respec if you want to switch to a strength build. Then there are quality builds that use both dex and str weapons.

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, I’ve been through it (you need to to get to Yhorm, unless there’s another way round I’ve missed), but I didn’t do a very thorough job of cleaning it out as some of the enemies in there can be tough and there’s lots of them in one section. 

I was poking around in my inventory yesterday and found a couple of keys for things in the dungeon so definitely need to go back and have another look around now that I’m more powerful. 

I’m also kind of regretting putting so many points in Dex, as I really like strength weapons. Are there any weapons which give you a boost for having a good amount of both?

This gives you an indication of what works best with which weapon and infusion, the stats are based on the min/max values that define the meta in the DS3 community which is roughly 120 top level - so 40/40 in both Str and Dex for quality, dex is 70/20 and Str is 66 max because when 2 handed that will max out at 99 Str. The dungeon definitely holds some great secrets though if you've killed Yhorm already and missed a certain NPC then you might want to look at a guide for NG+. The Claymore is a great weapon that can fit in a pure str, pure dex or a quality build, it will depend on your current stats and what you intend to put more points into, as you can see if you give it a sharp gem it will scale really well with dex...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/151rdCnXVxKPaMcF8XUq9le2fFBS2uOFsv0kCouNpFpc/edit#gid=357720482

Lothric Straight Sword is just the most overpowered weapon throughout the entire game for any build. Probably a side effect of quick weapons being a bit more effective against so many enemy types from the more Bloodborny style of combat in Dark Souls 3.

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Forgot this really useful tool too, you can put in your stats, weapons and infusions and it calculates everything for you:

https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls3

• Upvote 1

Crikey. Might leave that for the time being. Might feel a bit too much like cheating and at the moment I’menjoying messing with different things. I’ve got a black knight sword which looks and swings like a Claymore with higher base damage, so might spec that up. 

Also got a Fume Ultra Greatsword that I need about 11 more points in Strength just to use two handed!

As I’ve nailed 3/4 Lords of Cinder, I imagine I must be getting towards the end of the game. Is the DLC after the main game/can I play it after finishing the main quest? It’s not on sale any more (currently £19.99) so I’m keen to just finish it at the moment but think I’d like to play the DLC if it’s good. 

Also, a couple of cool things I’ve noticed since going back to previous locations:

Spoiler

Y3BiLho.jpg

I found Anri where I killed Horace. But I already told her he was down there ages ago but she didn’t turn hostile. She said she couldn’t find him. Now she’s down there after we killed Aldrich together but she’s hostile. Why do they both turn against you? Do they both go mad? I don’t want to kill her but am wondering what that purple thing is. 

gpEFsCH.jpg

I don’t think that dark sun was in the sky last time was here. Is this because I’m later in the game and have taken some Lords out?

• Upvote 2

You can do the last boss of the main game and then do the DLC if you like, it's asks you at the end of you want to go to NG+, if you say no you can potter around tidying up loose ends and doing the DLC.

• Upvote 1

Also, a couple of cool things I’ve noticed since going back to previous locations:

Hide contents

Y3BiLho.jpg

I found Anri where I killed Horace. But I already told her he was down there ages ago but she didn’t turn hostile. She said she couldn’t find him. Now she’s down there after we killed Aldrich together but she’s hostile. Why do they both turn against you? Do they both go mad? I don’t want to kill her but am wondering what that purple thing is. 

gpEFsCH.jpg

I don’t think that dark sun was in the sky last time was here. Is this because I’m later in the game and have taken some Lords out?

The DLC, the second one in particular is great, definitely buy it when you can afford.

As for your spoilers:

There are various ends to Anri's quest, you got one of the bad ones, unfortunately yes she has gone mad or hollow as it were as Horace is dead she/he has nothing more to live for and gives up. That purple thing is a gem that you use to path your way like in the first Dark Souls int he Tomb of giants, I can't quite remember the name, Anri uses them to mark her way through the caverns. I'm not sure if I should tell you more about Anri's other endings as one of them is key to getting a certain ending and don;t want to spoil it for you.

And yes the sun is being eclipsed as the age of dark approaches as you take down the lords of Cinder.

God I love this game, I need to start a new charcter.

• Upvote 2

Man, that's a bit disappointing, I think it's the only quest line I haven't completely messed up. Siegvert is still lying in a well naked, asking me to get his armour - no idea where it is, and Sirris just disappeared completely.

Yoel is lying dead in Firelink. :mellow:

I'm getting into this now, walking around being scared is kind of fun. Not sure I'm any good yet but perseverance is taking me a little way. Have put some levels into strength and moved from the katana to the claymore which is now Heavy+3. I can stab things real nice! New list of dead things - tree, wizard, abyss watcher (with a lot of help from my red-eyed friends). That involved a lot of running in circles in the first phase (very macho) and then having a palpitations during the latter stages as his health bar slowly dribbled away. That took a fair few attempts.

Now exploring the catabombs and getting very lost, I'm sure missing so much. Found some big doors but was too scared to open them, went and got killed by a fire dragon instead. Have since been back and bashed him up though.

Have a new type of titanite so have to decide whether to use that on my claymore or try out something else. Or do I transmute something new? So many chouces, so few large titanite shards.

Also noticed this morning that according to the travel screen the catacombs are after the cathedral. I've not even been in there yet, there's just so much to explore.

About 20 hours played, not sure if that's slow but with all the boss repeats the time soon adds up.

• Upvote 3

Sounds like you’re doing well!

I went up against the dancer a few times last night. She is tough. Mainly because of how deadly she is. Her grab is a one shot and her second phase is really, really tricky. I can (fairly) reliably get to her second phase now, but need a break of a day or two to get me back in the right mindset, I think. Just not feeling it today and I don’t want to get hammered and be put off playing. I’m determined to finish this game!

• Upvote 1

I got killed repeatedly by the abyss watcher last night, did him second time this morning, a break definitely works.

Just remembered I got invaded in the catacombs by some red guy even though I'm playing offline. Went back and he was nowhere to be seen. Is it worth going back and using and ember, or did I mess up and it's too late? Had about half an inch of health and he just whacked me with his massive sword.

He’s always there, his sword is apparently awesome but you need 34 strength just to two hand it. I went back to fight him much later as he was too tough for me the first time I was there. I still need a good 7 points in strength to be able to use it at all but am thinking about farming a bit and using it against the current boss who’s making life miserable for me.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks, shall clear our the baddies around there and then waste a couple of embers trying him. Tomorrow's plan is set.

Fume sword is good but I prefer...

Warning, late game DLC spoiler

(and some Fashion Souls :) )

Spoiler

Ringed Knight Paired Greatswords! Hard to get a screengrab showing both though especially as they light on fire when you attack

These are at +5 and do about 25% more base damage than the Fume. The armour isn't really that good but I did say it's Fashion Souls. Both only available from The Ringed City DLC

20200630220702_1.thumb.jpg.7d593c5e0746aa159748cb2835c2000b.jpg

Been a while since I played this character but I think this is NG+++

Gave up when i realised I needed over 250,000 souls to level up and I'm still nowhere near a lot of folk in here lol

Char.thumb.JPG.b2331fef260c11503e8ebdf1eb4f38bb.JPG

Pic.JPG.4da0d1b836dc0bf00be16743601e5fb7.JPG

As far as big swords go, the Profaned Greatsword that you can get by killing one of the Lords of Cinder and transposing his soul is my favourite.

I think once I finally complete TLOU2 I will start a new character, it;s been too long.

Here's a few videos from my collection where I use it  (spoilered as a very late game area in 2 of them):

• Upvote 2

Tried the Dancer a few more times just now and it feels like I’m making absolutely no progress against her. She’s got such a huge number of moves and her second stage is so incredibly deadly that I really struggle to get any hits in at all. Her being able to hit you through pillars seems incredibly cheap, too.

Tried the Dancer a few more times just now and it feels like I’m making absolutely no progress against her. She’s got such a huge number of moves and her second stage is so incredibly deadly that I really struggle to get any hits in at all. Her being able to hit you through pillars seems incredibly cheap, too.

Do you need a hand, I could jump on, but if you want to do it alone perhaps my SL1 video beating her would help showing some good strategies for her movesets:

Edit: Wow I made so many mistakes in the first phase

Shit you're on XB aren't you? I'm on PS otherwise I would happily jump on - she's weak to dark magic so if you have some human pine resin use it. When she changes from phase 1 to 2 get the hell out of the way, like the opposite end of the arena diagonally. Yes her second phase is deadly, she generally does 3 big sweeping attacks before you get a window for a hit.

• Upvote 2

Now you’re just showing off. :hmm:

But that is actually really useful. For one, I’ve been dodging away from that smoke thing she does when she gets a weapon - it looks like the one Aldrich does that does damage to you. And it looks like in the second half keeping closer to her stops her triggering some of her more annoying attacks, so I will give that a shot. I’ve been trying to keep my distance then nip in for a hit, which just goes absolutely horribly.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Now you’re just showing off. :hmm:

But that is actually really useful. For one, I’ve been dodging away from that smoke thing she does when she gets a weapon - it looks like the one Aldrich does that does damage to you. And it looks like in the second half keeping closer to her stops her triggering some of her more annoying attacks, so I will give that a shot. I’ve been trying to keep my distance then nip in for a hit, which just goes absolutely horribly.

Yeah she has insane range, her second phase is very tough because of how hard it is to read the attacks and how they can roll catch you so easily, staying behind or at least circling her allows you a tiny bit more  time to react correctly. But good luck I have faith in you and you still have some awesome areas ahead of you.

• Upvote 1

For sheer quantity and variety I think DS3 has probably my favourite boss fights in the whole series, a few shitty ones notwithstanding. The Dancer is one of the greats.

Spoiler

Of course the most annoying thing is one of the best bosses in the entire Souls series is extremely well hidden in that entire optional secret area. :lol:

We’re making progress and she’s going down.

tiQDUrk.jpg

Have popped to Anor Londo, got a few thousand souls and stocked up on human pine resin. Made too many mistakes when I went back and I need a bit of a break but it’s only a matter of time. 

Lore wise - I thought Anor Londo is meant to be the old city of the gods? But it seems to just be a church in the sky above Irythyll?

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Benny said:

For sheer quantity and variety I think DS3 has probably my favourite boss fights in the whole series, a few shitty ones notwithstanding. The Dancer is one of the greats.

Hide contents

Of course the most annoying thing is one of the best bosses in the entire Souls series is extremely well hidden in that entire optional secret area. :lol:

2 of them are!!! Yeah it's brave.

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Lore wise - I thought Anor Londo is meant to be the old city of the gods? But it seems to just be a church in the sky above Irythyll?

Basically, this is one inescapable downside of playing DS3 before Dark Souls. The lore won't have anything like the same impact. 

I've just been going through the cathedral having skipped on and done a couple of alternative areas. This means I have a great big sword and and taking my revenge on the knights in there. There's great joy in biffing them in the shield until they're stunned. How do you like it matey?

Felt like a really long trek to get back to a bonfire, was getting quite tense. Loving this game now, although I'm sure that'll change when I get stuck on a boss. Have bought DS1 in sale too follow up with later, hopefully I won't give up on it again now I've more of an idea how to fight.

• Upvote 2

Got her. :D

This is the first time I've found scenery or the camera to cause me serious issues in the game. All those pews are very easy to get stuck on and you lose lock on behind the pillars and it can be really tricky to get it back. You can see when I apply lightning and dark to my sword, as soon as I come out from behind the pillar I can't get a lock and it costs me both times.

That bit at 1:20 was incredible. As soon as I did that I knew there was absolutely no way I was losing this fight. 

I then got invaded straight after that and had two Lothric knights and a phantom after me. I would have got that bloody phantom easily if it weren't for the knights. <_<

Anyway, I've since popped into the garden of the consumed king and quickly noped it out of there and am now in Lothric Castle staring at two dragons and wondering what on earth I'm meant to do. Probably head back to the garden and try and find a bonfire to start venturing out from.

And what the hell is this thing?!:

Spoiler

aAdV7hT.jpg

• Upvote 7

I was going to ask about that, actually. I have got hardly any Fairy Points and not bothered learning a single spell, but have found loads of tomes and given them to pyromatey and Karla. I haven't found many miracle tomes or whatever.

I've focused all my points on combat/health/stamina and don't really even know how the magic works in this. I equipped the pyromancy flame once without anything attuned, waved it about a bit and have since forgotten about it. What should I be learning?