rllmuk

@Melon_Bread

Thanks. They can be so deadly, though. Have been making slow progress, but that fire caster up the stairs on the right makes it really difficult and one of those knights can’t be drawn out of his range, which makes it tough. 

They don’t seem to like fire, so a bomb seems to stagger them long enough to get some good hits in. Am getting better and dodging their barrages, too. Dodging towards them and getting behind them seems to be the trick. 

I was lying awake last night, thinking about how the enemies in the Smouldering Lake (the bird guys) are the same as the ones in Farron. And then I realised Farron is linked to the swamp which has giant crabs in it, which are also in Smouldering Lake.

And then I remembered that the pyromancers were from the swamp, right? But I found a pyromancy tome in the Smouldering Lake, it’s full of fire casters, etc. So the two must be linked. But I can’t figure out how. I can see someone taking the pyromancy stuff from one to the other, but who would bother taking along these bloody vicious birds and giant enemy crabs?

Help me out here, someone. I NEED TO KNOW.

16 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Thanks. They can be so deadly, though. Have been making slow progress, but that fire caster up the stairs on the right makes it really difficult and one of those knights can’t be drawn out of his range, which makes it tough. 

If you can get the one down on the floor down then the best thing to do is rush that one on the stairs, like run as fast as you can because as soon as you get near the stairs it triggers another couple of the big floaty sword dudes to come round the corner so you need to get to the fire priest before they spot you

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I was lying awake last night, thinking about how the enemies in the Smouldering Lake (the bird guys) are the same as the ones in Farron. And then I realised Farron is linked to the swamp which has giant crabs in it, which are also in Smouldering Lake.

And then I remembered that the pyromancers were from the swamp, right? But I found a pyromancy tome in the Smouldering Lake, it’s full of fire casters, etc. So the two must be linked. But I can’t figure out how. I can see someone taking the pyromancy stuff from one to the other, but who would bother taking along these bloody vicious birds and giant enemy crabs?

Help me out here, someone. I NEED TO KNOW.

How much have you explored the lake, you are correct, there's something there....

On 20/06/2020 at 09:51, HarryBizzle said:

Well, we solved that riddle, boys. I was a Fat Roller (sung to the tune of Window Shopper by 50 Cent).

Got him on my first attempt with Havel’s and using some fire bug stuff I found in my inventory which gives fire resist. I was wondering what the point of Havel’s was as it just says increase your inventory max, but as far as I can see there is no inventory max except for what’s equipped.

That was actually very straight forward and not that difficult. You can see I was very sloppy (never made it more than a hit or two before) and got stupid and greedy towards the end.

@JPL I went to level up afterwards and it seems Endurance increases equip, rather than Vitality.

Just a tip, if you are using heavy sets and have invested in that then there’s no need     to fat roll since your armor and a good shield will let you block most attacks.

As far as I can tell, blocking uses way more stamina than rolling, no?

I listened to the podcast @Jamie John mentioned - Bonfireside Chat. The episode for Smouldering Lake.

I found it really interesting. They really hate the area, the level design and I think they just put the same enemies as swamp/farron as just not making any sense. 

A lot of their complaints about the level design are valid. It’s very odd. You fight the boss immediately and then do everything else and then disable the ballista, which makes doing it pretty pointless. 

There’s an NPC there called Fume or something and he keeps one shotting me, too. 

Anyway, I went away and read a little bit about Quelana, Izalith and the demons and found it really interesting. Sort of makes you feel sorry for the demons. 

• Upvote 1

see, that area, youre supposed to run away from the worm when you see it, then fall in the hole, then have to make your way back after disabling the ballista and exploring :P

Me...i run to the right of the fucker to get that shield., then go sit behind him lol

Ah, right. Yeah, I just ran straight behind him. Seems I wasn’t the only one. I even tried hitting him with my sword, just to see what would happen. Then the ballista hit it and I just let it keep doing that. 

That makes so much more sense. Even the bonfires in the travel menu look like they’re the wrong way around, and you spawn in the bonfire looking the “wrong” way. 

Where’s that hole?

The more equipment you have, the more stamina rolling cost. Poise and shield stats determines how much stamina you lose when blocking. Fat rolling is always the worst option.

• Upvote 1

Ah, ok. That makes a lot of sense. I’ve hit around 23 Dex so am starting to put some points into Strength as there are some very cool weapons and shields I want to try.

I went back to Irythyll yesterday and managed that first run up to Yorskha Bonfire without too much difficulty. Not sure what changed (I did level up my Dex a bit), but those bloody Pontiff Knights are no longer the roadblock they were a few days a go. Still deadly though, and fighting more than one at a time is dangerous as anything.

The Ringed City adventures continued.

Spoiler

DS3 continues to troll the absolute fuck out of me in a variety of obvious and less than obvious ways.

Obvious: Seeing a deceased player roll off the edge to apparent safety, and seeing what looked like a platform below my current position, I roll off the edge myself and immediately plunge to my death as there was a pretty big gap that isn't obvious unless you're up close, but you don't really have time to take a look without getting shot full of arrows. I had stupidly assumed that the bloodstain player had died a few moments later due to an enemy, but in hindsight it should have been obvious that they too had fallen off and died.

Less obvious: The ghosts on the platform with the summoner. I finally got up there after dying around ten times in the attempt (and losing 75000 odd souls, but who is counting when you get up to level 120 something), got up close to the summoner (who swipes down at you if you're too close) and thought "Happy days, no more bloody archers". Except a ghost with a giant fucking hammer appears and pancakes you if you're not careful. I thought that I'd just back off a bit to dodge the hammer guy, so naturally at that exact moment a rank of archers rise up in front of the summoner and did their level best to turn me into a pincushion. Luckily there was some convenient cover nearby, so I thought I'd just cheese the summoner with arrows which worked for all of about 5 seconds before another hammer guy rose up quite literally behind my character and scared the absolute beejeezus out of me.

In the end, there was some undignified Benny Hill-esque running to and from the summoner, as I took a couple of swipes, ran back to cover to dodge the archers then rolled to dodge the hammer guy there and then again for the hammer guy right by the summoner, but he finally died. After making my way down to the next bonfire, I stopped playing because it looked like there were a load of toxic bastards in the next bit and my nerves were shot at that point.

This game. :wub:

• Upvote 1

@HarryBizzle the "hole" is...when you start the area and are looking at the "lake" look right, and you will see some what looks like a the remains of a building, there are two, go to them  and the balista can hit them! and break them.

Ah, great. I wonder how many people missed that. I’ve already turned the ballista off, though, so that’s that probably closed off to me, I expect. Nevermind. 

I’m knocking about Irythyll and the moment the monster that guards the bridge spawns and jumps off the bridge into the water below to come after you is brilliant. Killed him and got me some souls to level up my strength and finally start playing around with the Claymore. :D

On 21/06/2020 at 11:09, Ran said:

I don't understand these Souls games on any level. This is the latest one I've given a chance and after 2 hours of constantly dying and making little real progress I can't figure out where to begin at 'getting good' at it.

The limited feedback it gives you on things that I assume might be key to playing well just add to the frustration. Two examples:

I've been messing around parrying with a shield and there just seems no obvious relationship between the parry animation and how/when it could interlock with an enemy attack, I get no sense of how timing works with it. I half remembered Edge going on about some new special attacks and experimented my way to two handing my scimitar and discovered the resource costing spin attack. Upon use it seems at least as dangerous as deploying a heavy attack in terms of leaving you vulnerable but I couldn't see any real benefit to using it for damage (maybe it's a crowd control thing but taking on more than one or two enemies seems like instant death to me). Add in how clunky it is swapping between one handing/two handing putting you in further peril and it seems more pointless.The game feels slow and laborious and I don't get the euphoria of the big payoffs when I do make progress (This is how I felt after finishing Dark Souls and quite honestly I feel stupid for even trying this one now).

Anyway, sorry to unload a probably quite typical moan that people who are shit at the game tend to do, but I need to vent about it a bit. I convince myself every time that the sheer volume of people who think they're masterpieces can't be wrong and this time I will get it, but I leave every session bitter and questioning what kind of sadist would derive any pleasure from being abused by such a miserly, cruel game design.

Lots of good suggestions already but one thing I would like to suggest is you make a video of what you’re doing, upload up to the thread and go ‘what am I doing wrong?’

Its very possible that you’re unaware of subtle things as you’re playing that will be picked up on here and commented on. Having feedback directly on what you did could change your perspective.

I bounced off these games multiple times so I understand where you’re coming from. I’m not sure I believe the idea that they’re just ‘not for you’ I think that something has to click in your brain and once it does you never go back.

Main one for me is to accept death, think about what happened and what you can do to avoid it happening next time. Anything is viable.

The game is slow, treat it as such. I spend minutes surveying and area, and how I will tackle it. If you die you learnt that what you tried didn’t work, so try something else. This game is about being smart and surviving.

Don’t be afraid to avoid fights if you have to. If there’s an enemy that keeps beating you see if there’s a way you can get round him.

Learn to block. It sounds stupid but a lot of people get panicky and try to dodge/get away when you could have just blocked and been in a much better position.

• Upvote 2
On 21/06/2020 at 12:09, Ran said:

I don't understand these Souls games on any level. This is the latest one I've given a chance and after 2 hours of constantly dying and making little real progress I can't figure out where to begin at 'getting good' at it.

The Dark Souls games are not hard, they just seem hard.

Here are some bullet points:

• rolling left will avoid most enemy attacks
  • its all about recognizing attack patterns
  • stamina is king
  • no or little armor+a really big weapon is the best combo
  • dont lock onto enemies in pvp

I've been messing around parrying with a shield

Parry with a shield? Why would you do that when you can roll left and R1 someone 5 times?

The game feels slow and laborious and I don't get the euphoria of the big payoffs when I do make progress (This is how I felt after finishing Dark Souls and quite honestly I feel stupid for even trying this one now).

Anyway, sorry to unload a probably quite typical moan that people who are shit at the game tend to do, but I need to vent about it a bit. I convince myself every time that the sheer volume of people who think they're masterpieces can't be wrong and this time I will get it, but I leave every session bitter and questioning what kind of sadist would derive any pleasure from being abused by such a miserly, cruel game design.

Dont let the game fool you. Its not a hard game. Yes you may die often but its all about recognizing AI attack patterns and not getting greedy. I'm by no means "elite" when it comes to the souls games, but compared with Ninja Gaiden and similar titles Dark Souls is easy. 

Finally put some points into Strength and have fallen in love with the Claymore. It almost feels like cheating. 

I can see why people play these games so many times to try new things. 

• Upvote 2
On 22/06/2020 at 23:07, HarryBizzle said:

There’s an NPC there called Fume or something and he keeps one shotting me, too. 

His sword is amazing!

• Upvote 1

I’m definitely playing more with the Claymore. Just took down the old demon king with it. That was a fun fight to figure out. Not too challenging, just well timed dodges and you’re sorted. 

Pontiff Sullyvahn is another story. I can summon Anri but I don’t want to waste embers summoning her if I’m just going to get stomped by him. I think I need to give up on blocking completely and just dodge. The Claymore barely puts a dent in him, though. 

So I killed Pontiff Sullyvahn, but both Anri and Black Hanf Gotthard died. Have I lost them both forever? :(

I also beat Yhorm the giant. I haven’t exhausted the Profaned capital but it’s mostly been a disappointment. Yhorm was the Lord who looked most interesting in the opening cutscene and I was really curious about the Profaned Capital but it just seems to be a part of Irythyll, or Irythyll was built on top of it? Apart from gargoyles there’s nothing particularly cool about it. 

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

So I killed Pontiff Sullyvahn, but both Anri and Black Hanf Gotthard died. Have I lost them both forever? :(

I also beat Yhorm the giant. I haven’t exhausted the Profaned capital but it’s mostly been a disappointment. Yhorm was the Lord who looked most interesting in the opening cutscene and I was really curious about the Profaned Capital but it just seems to be a part of Irythyll, or Irythyll was built on top of it? Apart from gargoyles there’s nothing particularly cool about it. 

If you've followed Siegmeyer's quest up to the Profaned Capital then that fight against Yhrom is pretty cool, but otherwise, yes, that area is quite underwhelming and isn't really deserving of the term 'Capital'.

• Upvote 1

The game is starting to feel like a boss rush. I’m now in Anor Londo and the front door’s locked, so you nip around the side gate, open the door and.... you’re at the boss in seconds. :wacko:

Beat him once with Anri, but now I have to beat him again. :quote:

I've still not got Aldrich beaten on my own. I take a couple of cracks at it and then switch it off. I've got so ridiculously close but now and then I get caught out by his stupid arrow attack thing.

There don't seem to be any NPC summons available, either, annoyingly.

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I've still not got Aldrich beaten on my own. I take a couple of cracks at it and then switch it off. I've got so ridiculously close but now and then I get caught out by his stupid arrow attack thing.

There don't seem to be any NPC summons available, either, annoyingly.

In his second phase when he goes to do the arrows you need to start running and just run around the room away from him, in circles. It's a pain but that's the only way not to get killed by it. RNG means sometimes he spams it and sometimes he might just do it once. You'll get him, he's weak to fire if you haven't noticed that, light up your weapon and wail on his tail thing.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I got the creep shortly after posting that:

I was thinking “I’ve basically fought 3 bosses in a row, surely it will chill out a bit now” but it actually jumps you into a cutscene and straight into another one. :facepalm:

So I’m kind of wondering, is the point of the early levels just to teach me how to play the game before basically becoming a game about bosses? Because none of the later areas have been as interesting or well developed as the early ones, really. 

I took a crack or two at the Dancer and then went off to explore elsewhere, including all the bits of Undead Settlement I missed, and it wasn’t just that it was new to me the first time through - it’s genuinely a brilliant area and probably my favourite in the game so far. 

It’s really nice going back to areas and fighting enemies who gave me so much trouble previously and just smashing them to pieces.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

So I’m kind of wondering, is the point of the early levels just to teach me how to play the game before basically becoming a game about bosses?

That should change after the dancer. It’s just that section of the game, you must have already done the dungeon I take it?

• Upvote 1