rllmuk
Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

Dragonslayer took only a few tries, onwards to the Grand Archives (which look great imo) where I suddenly became a candlestick :lol: That was a fun area to explore, surprisingly big due to all the outside/roof areas. And now that I'm typing this, I think I missed something as I thought I saw an enemy lurking in the rafters but never got to explore there. Maybe I was imagining things.

Anyway, slowly working my way up, unlocking shortcuts as I went, is always fun in Souls. Big flying stone gargoyle things outside presented no problem for my current level/build, and even three NPCs in a surprise encounter were swiftly dispatched. This +10 heavy bastard sword rules! Looking through the shrine handmaiden's inventory I spotted an armor set from someone called Morne - not that much heavier than my old outfit, but the stats were waaaaay better. So I bought that and put some points into equip load to be able to still roll. Like I said earlier, currently I'm not sure where to put all the points so why not. Oh but the helm looked stupid, I'm wearing the Thief's mask instead just for the looks.

Anyway, on the roof the Grand Archives I was ambushed by three flying fatties. It boggles the mind that one single walking fatty presented huge problems for me at the start of the game, while these three didn't stand a chance against the heaviest of bastard swords and Morne's set  - TOP O' THE  MORNE TO YA!!! (no? I'll get my coat :( )

The grand steps en route to the boss were a fantastic little set-piece I thought, maybe it's just me but it reminded me a lot of Demon's Souls. Anyone else? Lots of enemies to fight through with three big hard skeleton knights at the end.

The boss himself, ol' Prince Lothric, was laughably easy! Got him on my first go! ...or so I thought. OF COURSE he has a second form. Which one-shotted me immediately. I think I'll head over to that DLC first, as I'm already an entire area past Lothric Castle and earlier it was said I should do the DLC after Lothric Castle. I can come back to the Prince when I'm more powerful!

• Upvote 3

Thanks! I always have loads of fun tanking my way through these games, which probably worked to my advantage here. Nothing in the Grand Archives could really hurt me - except that Prince of course.

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Thanks! I always have loads of fun tanking my way through these games, which probably worked to my advantage here. Nothing in the Grand Archives could really hurt me - except that Prince of course.

The gank squad and the three fatties almost always get me! Well done dude.

It's been a few days since I took the time to post, but I have been playing a bit. After the Grand Archives there was The Painted World (the first DLC) and Archdragon Peak left. The latter is an optional area, so I went there first and I loved the huge set-piece waiting for me!

Spoiler

I immediately figured that I had to move on instead of fighting the Dragon - he wasn't really hurting me but I barely did any damage. Running away from him and around the castle walls was suitably epic - the huge enemies fucking me up a few times.

Finally I made it all the way around and it turns out that a single plunge attack from above was enough to kill the Dragon!

The rest of the level was also fun to explore - lots of enemy NPCs! Not in the least an old friend from the first game

Spoiler

Havel!!!!

It took a few tries, but just like in the first game he went down eventually :) Shame it didn't net me his armour though.. 

I think I explored everything, made it all the way to the top and everything. The big boss at the end is a bit of a bastard though. I can take out his first form easily in a few hits most of the time. He sits on a stupid bird, I hit said bird in the face a few times, it staggers, critical attack -> 80% of his health gone. But his second form!!! Aaargggh have barely managed a scratch. This will take some analysis of his patterns I think.

Switched over to the DLC and it looks lovely. Noticeably harder than the areas in the main game I thought, but still very doable. The snowy surroundings and overall Viking-ish theme is great imo. Had fun exploring the place, only real trouble was an NPC inside a church. An helpful message recommended 'luring outside' and he kept kicking my ass. Until I had enough and rushed inside instead - there is a small set of stairs  inside and that was more than enough to throw him off. Chop-chop-chop > run up stairs > drop off the small platform > chop again > repeat - worked flawlessly the first time.

Further on I loved that horrible basement filled with those bloody flies!! :lol: Great moment and despite the flies themselves being rather weak, it was tense down there.

Even further down I found a familiar platform 

Spoiler

That's the same area where the female short tail dragon boss lady is in the original painted world in DaS1 isn't it? 

Aanyway, all the way at the end there was an annoying father daughter boss combo disaster. I could defeat Sister Frieda easily. Then her big daddy in a chair joined in, and that was easy too - I just hacked away at his chair and they both dropped dead. But then! SHE GOES FUCKING SUPER SAIYAN!!!

Man, that was a hard battle. I could summon an NPC but then the second battle became slightly tricky as I had to make sure he managed to stay alive for the third part of the fight. Which meant hacking chair daddy ASAP. Eventually, many tries later, Super Saiyan Frieda had only 25% health left and I thought that was finally it - and then the NPC DIED!! Noooo, she turned around to face me exclusively - nooooo! I rushed in started hacking and slicing (hmm, I'm starting to notice a pattern) and SHE DIED!! YEAH

That opened up an entire new area, but I left that alone for now. Went back to the Lothric Princes and fucking finally got them too. Put his lordy cinders on his throne and was shocked to discover I was immediately stuck in a cutscene, after which the Firelink bonfire immediately whisked me off to what very much sounds like the final bit. I was worried about everything I had missed, but luckily I was allowed to fast- travel out of there.

Immediately went to work - first back to the Smouldering Lake, where I had skipped two lava pools. I brought that pyromancy spell that ups fire resistance greatly, jumped in the first pool, got the items. Went to the second pool and remembered there was a really hard NPC also lurking around here. However, I could immediately drop in the pool behind him from above which gave me an idea. And it worked! I ran around in the lava, chugging estus as I went, the idiot followed me in and burned to death. Easiest victory ever :lol:

Then back to the Grand Archives. I wanted to get rid of my Dark Sign (iirc) and that cost a lot of souls - but the Grand Archives were very profitable, so it took only 4 runs to gather enough souls. While doing so, I took a look at the rafters again and sure enough there really was an enemy up there. So I went back to the roof and it turns out I'd missed a very obvious trapdoor. Loot!

Then I looked up how to access the second DLC - turns out that the new area after the painted world was actually the second DLC! Well, that's certainly a lot easier to find than in the first game. And it means I've finished the first DLC! Just the second DLC left, and then back to the Dark Firelink or whatever it was called. Oh and the boss in Archdragon Peak....

Onwards :omg:

• Upvote 7

@Mr. Gerbik awesome write up once again and well done! Now you defeated the friend from the first game you can actually get his armour, it's just not where you might think.

Clue

Where did you fight a rather rocky mini boss? 

Answer if that wasn't enough
The bridge where you fought the stray demon above the poison swamp
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Minion said:

@Mr. Gerbik awesome write up once again and well done! Now you defeated the friend from the first game you can actually get his armour, it's just not where you might think.

Clue

Hide contents

Where did you fight a rather rocky mini boss? 

Answer if that wasn't enough

Hide contents
The bridge where you fought the stray demon above the poison swamp

Thanks for that! Since beating him only gave me his weapon and shield, I assumed the armour was either not in the game or I had missed it earlier on.

Which reminds me - I got the achievement for finding all the estus shards but it seems I missed one undead bone shard :(

8 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Thanks for that! Since beating him only gave me his weapon and shield, I assumed the armour was either not in the game or I had missed it earlier on.

Which reminds me - I got the achievement for finding all the estus shards but it seems I missed one undead bone shard :(

Oh damn, there's 10 so it could be anywhere! There's one in demon ruins which is tucked away, do you remember getting that one? And did you kill the centipede/worm in smouldering lake?

14 minutes ago, Minion said:

Oh damn, there's 10 so it could be anywhere! There's one in demon ruins which is tucked away, do you remember getting that one? And did you kill the centipede/worm in smouldering lake?

I really don't remember where I found the others, so it could be anywhere. I did kill the worm though! Or rather the giant ballista did it for me :) I've sort of made peace with not getting that achievement... Can't be arsed pulling up a guide and checking each location!

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I really don't remember where I found the others, so it could be anywhere. I did kill the worm though! Or rather the giant ballista did it for me :) I've sort of made peace with not getting that achievement... Can't be arsed pulling up a guide and checking each location!

Damn, no worries. The platinum is quite hard to get without some planning, I had to make a spreadsheet to get a few of the achievements. It requires at least 3 playthroughs!

14 hours ago, Minion said:

Damn, no worries. The platinum is quite hard to get without some planning, I had to make a spreadsheet to get a few of the achievements. It requires at least 3 playthroughs!

Well, I couldn't resist looking at a list after all and one immediately jumped out - I never knew I could destroy the rolling skeleton ball in the catacombs! That was the last one :)

Also found the armour you hinted at - thanks! 

I never platinumed a Souls game and I will likely never try, I'm way too casual. I play through once every once in a while, but even if I try to find and do as much as possible - I usually ignore the covenants and don't bother with NG+ games. 

Only had time for a short session today, so after getting said armour I headed off to the Dreg Heap. Lovely twisted look - nice! Respawning enemies and flying laser angels - not so nice! Found a bunch of +3 rings, wandered into a poisonous swamp (oh god!) but it was mercifully small (thank god!). Lost a lot of time to exploring all the tree branches twisting around the swamp, so I had to quit as I made it to a Double Trouble Demon boss. I hope that's not the final boss of this DLC, or else uhm it's a bit short?

Of all the DLC expansions the Artorias DLC of the first game still towers above all others imo. Not just an awesome area to explore, it also features some of the best bosses of all the Souls games overall. Especially Artorias himself, but also Kalameet and Manus. The Painted World, as great as it was, didn't quite achieve those incredible heights and so far The Dreg Heap falls well below the Painted World for me. Still great though, just a shame that my final area in this playthrough is also one of the weaker ones. Instead of ending on  a high note, it ends in a slight disappointment. Overall Dark Souls 3 is completely awesome though!! What a game :wub:

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

flying laser angels - not so nice!

Have a look around in all the nooks and crannies of the swamp and surrounding area. You may find something that helps with these ;) 

24 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Still great though, just a shame that my final area in this playthrough is also one of the weaker ones. Instead of ending on  a high note, it ends in a slight disappointment.

No comment :) 

7 minutes ago, Minion said:

@Mr. Gerbik you’ll be pleased to know that there is more to explore beyond the dreg heap. 

That's good news! I hoped so or else it would've been way too short, barely two hours worth of content. (cue me getting stuck for hours upon hours on that Double Demon boss!)

6 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

Have a look around in all the nooks and crannies of the swamp and surrounding area. You may find something that helps with these ;) 

No comment :) 

Now I expect to get my high note after all! :D

Yeah, I eliminated all those angels thank god. They were REALLY annoying.

• Upvote 1

Oh you guys were right! The ringed city is excellent :D Spent a few enjoyable hours hacking my way through - I got far, but apparently still not finished! The hardest part so far was the start with that giant summoner - bloody hell, that took so many tries.

Afterwards everything was far more doable, even though I had to keep alert as there is actually shit that can kill me hard down here. I was happy to discover the fat branches bastards are killable in one hit with a plunge attack!

The best moments came from exploring the swamp. A NPC with a huge hammer (Ledo???) offered up an enjoyable fight. I like his hammer, but those massive weapons aren't for me - I'm too used to my heavy bastard sword +10. Besides, just as a test I maxed out Ledo's hammer. At that point it out puts 150 or so points more damage, buuut taking on the knights down here it turned out I could keep swinging my heavy bastard sword until their health bar was gone and before my own stamina bar was depleted. With the Ledo Hammer, I output more damage per hit but after three swings I have no more stamina - and those knights still have a bit of health left after three swings!

Anyway, further on in the swamp I encountered a rooftop with FOUR of those ringed city knights! Got them all first try, and after spotting a dragon I turned around and went back into the swamp.

At that point the Dragonslayer suddenly ran at me! He was there :o I hoofed it back to the rooftops to see if I could try a plunge attack but the bastard kept following me! Ended up circling a tower on the roof, both of us occasionally getting some hits in. He hit hard! And then I noticed I had no more estus... I had forgotten that I had been exploring without going back to the bonfire for a while now. So as I desperately kept running around that tower Benny Hill style, I pulled up the inventory menu and quickly mashed A on the very first healing item I spotted - a divine blessing. That healed me completely and allowed me to get the final hits in on Dragonslayer! 

The dragon bit after that was fun, and also surprisingly easy. Standing near his left paw means he never hits you.

Anyway, I had to stop shortly after kicking the dragon back into his ravine. Glokta (my character) and his heavy bastard sword are standing as I type this across from a knight who seems to dual wield great swords (!!) and he's guarding some big church doors. Something to look forward to :)

Am I close to the end of the DLC or do I still have a ways to go?

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Am I close to the end of the DLC or do I still have a ways to go?

Yes unfortunately though you have some big fights to get through. Lovely write up once again :)

• Upvote 1

THE FIRST FLAME HATHED BEEN LINKEDETH

:omg: 

The last few bosses of the Ringed City were fun! But not that hard, which surprised me for what is the final expansion of the game. The NPC summonings in the church especially felt like the easiest one in the entire game so far. Anyway, after finding profound sadness due to being forced to slay the same knight who helped me beat Sister Super Saiyan in the Painted World, I mopped up the area by kicking some cleric NPC ass to the left and another dual wielding greatsword knight to the right - the latter one looks intimidating but once you notice they're easily baited into a jumping attack by backing off, it's backstab city all day long.

I let the sad girl finish her painting and told her my name is Glokta (and my motto is "I will only axe once")

Well, after that the final boss of the main game turned out to be a lot trickier for some reason. I remember the final boss of DaS1 being a bit of a pushover, but for some reason I kept messing up with this dude. Thankfully he was open to receiving punishment whenever he switched to magic attacks, so I waited that. And I linked the fire!

After  all that, it was time for some mopping up. Googling it, I missed one covenant in Anor Londo which involved an invisible path. No wonder. Then there's a bunch of 'collect all of these' type of achievements but that's all for NG++++ shenanigans and I kinda want to move on to another game to cleanse my From Software palate before the glory of Sekiro is finally upon us. The only thing left to do was going back to Archdragon Peak/Peek/Pique to face Fly McBirdo again, for me the hardest boss in the entire GotY game. I tried looking for summon signs, but there were none. So I got nowhere - as I said, I could easily smash his bird, but always got pulped in the second phase of the fight. Guess people don't like it when you smash their bird in front of them. But then! I finally saw a summon sign as I was getting ready to pack it in for today. Some dude called SPAZMO wearing the big wrapped cloth bucket helm we all know and love from Demon's Souls. So in we went, me and SPAZMO together - I had a good feeling about this. It didn't go as swimmingly as I'd hoped though, Captain Fly McBirdo was dealing devastating damage to us both and we were taking a long time to wear him down. But then oh no disaster struck - SPAZMO died!!! With still almost half a boss life bar to go. But I'd never gotten this far, so I sat up, gripped my controller even tighter (holding with both hands of course) and you know what? I FUCKING DID IT!!! CAPTAIN MCBIRDFACE WILL NEVER FLY AGAIN.

So thank you SPAZMO, at least you were there for Glokta when nobody else was - but in the end it's always best when you do these things yourself.

And well, that was the final achievement I could rake in during a single playthrough. Around 70 hours playtime total.

Spoiler

glokta.thumb.jpg.7109757a961fc2561fe7dd507656a91c.jpg

All in all a brilliant game and a fantastic experience. Way up there with DeS and DaS1 for me, but DaS1 still taking it as my all-time favourite. Glad I gave it another shot, I got completely drawn in this time around and had a blast smashing my way through :)

• Upvote 3

I'm tempted to start again from scratch, I was a Dexer but want to try a tank build, but I always get drawn to the magic arts of one shape or form, but would really want to try pure tank.

Any good builds you can recommend?

1 hour ago, Ballzzie said:

I'm tempted to start again from scratch, I was a Dexer but want to try a tank build, but I always get drawn to the magic arts of one shape or form, but would really want to try pure tank.

Any good builds you can recommend?

Pure tank is great in this game as most enemies and bosses can be staggered. Just two hand ultra weapons and infuse them with heavy gems, the great club is a lot of fun and can be got fairly early but there’s loads of ultra weapons to play with, warrior is the obvious starting class for such a build. 

3 hours ago, Minion said:

Pure tank is great in this game as most enemies and bosses can be staggered. Just two hand ultra weapons and infuse them with heavy gems, the great club is a lot of fun and can be got fairly early but there’s loads of ultra weapons to play with, warrior is the obvious starting class for such a build. 

Just go for Strength and health then with some heavy armour?

Finally finished my first run through after a very very on/off affair with the game. Its only been what, 3 years since launch? :D

Doubt end game is a good time to start the DLC if I pick it up so might give that a miss. Think I did all areas/bosses apart from Archdragon Peak. That place is crazy hard, but I'll do it at some point. 

Seconded. @FozZ I'm a Dark Souls 3 expert and I also say that the endgame is the perfect time for the DLC. In fact, if you're able to go to Archdragon Pique, you can just as easily (well, 'easily' is maybe not the right word in this case as you've noticed) go to the first DLC - Ashes of Ariandel. Then do the second DLC immediately afterwards, it connects really nicely. And it's excellent.

• Upvote 3

On 28/02/2019 at 19:45, Mr. Gerbik said:

Seconded. @FozZ I'm a Dark Souls 3 expert and I also say that the endgame is the perfect time for the DLC. In fact, if you're able to go to Archdragon Pique, you can just as easily (well, 'easily' is maybe not the right word in this case as you've noticed) go to the first DLC - Ashes of Ariandel. Then do the second DLC immediately afterwards, it connects really nicely. And it's excellent.

Just cleared Archdragon Peak :) I thought it was just gunna be the first Wyvern and that's your lot. Was not expecting a full area with such a great end boss. 

I bought the season pass on your recommendation, just downloading the first one now. 

• Upvote 3