rllmuk
Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

yeah...except...the "clone" of the boss, is ALWAYS there, and they respawn!!! so, when you need to speak to that little old lady at the start...there is a dancer there! and, the clones dont drop souls!

36 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

yeah...except...the "clone" of the boss, is ALWAYS there, and they respawn!!! so, when you need to speak to that little old lady at the start...there is a dancer there! and, the clones dont drop souls!

Oh wow

I picked this up in the January sale (only the base game; no DLC) - I've been dipping in and out of it in-between another big playthrough and it's been quite interesting. My general attitude to the Souls series has largely been "I don't like Souls games - and Bloodborne doesn't count" ;) but I've since completed the base game experience of DS2, and I'm at what looks like the final area of 3. Being the first post-BB Souls game I was curious to see if there had been any influence, and it definitely feels a little less clunky in terms of movement and controls. Also bonfire/shortcut arrangements are more generous than the original, and I welcome the absence of the human/hollow mechanics.

Sticking points through the journey so far have been the Abyss Watchers, Pointiff Sulyvahn, Dancer of BV, Dragonslayer and the Twin Princes (and I know there will be optionals I've missed - I'll come back to those in the future) but I've managed to beat all of those without summons so I must be doing something right. Certain bosses can be pretty relentless with their attack strings and it's hard to know when you're supposed to get a hit in (NB: I could counter pretty well in BB but am terrible at parrying here!); others have teleport attacks that make me think the key to winning is to guess correctly or hope the camera plays nice - but in most instances watching the attacks and knowing what can be linked into a follow-up has helped. Generally I'm enjoying it more than 2, but much prefer the gameplay of BB. Time will tell if I can wrap up the final area before Sekiro! ;) 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

I picked this up in the January sale (only the base game; no DLC) - I've been dipping in and out of it in-between another big playthrough and it's been quite interesting. My general attitude to the Souls series has largely been "I don't like Souls games - and Bloodborne doesn't count" ;) but I've since completed the base game experience of DS2, and I'm at what looks like the final area of 3. Being the first post-BB Souls game I was curious to see if there had been any influence, and it definitely feels a little less clunky in terms of movement and controls. Also bonfire/shortcut arrangements are more generous than the original, and I welcome the absence of the human/hollow mechanics.

Sticking points through the journey so far have been the Abyss Watchers, Pointiff Sulyvahn, Dancer of BV, Dragonslayer and the Twin Princes (and I know there will be optionals I've missed - I'll come back to those in the future) but I've managed to beat all of those without summons so I must be doing something right. Certain bosses can be pretty relentless with their attack strings and it's hard to know when you're supposed to get a hit in (NB: I could counter pretty well in BB but am terrible at parrying here!); others have teleport attacks that make me think the key to winning is to guess correctly or hope the camera plays nice - but in most instances watching the attacks and knowing what can be linked into a follow-up has helped. Generally I'm enjoying it more than 2, but much prefer the gameplay of BB. Time will tell if I can wrap up the final area before Sekiro! ;) 

If you have any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them. What build have you gone for and which weapons are you using? You should also consider the DLC if you're enjoying it as it's pretty damn good, especially the second one. Both of the DLC's add great weapons.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Minion said:

If you have any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them. What build have you gone for and which weapons are you using? You should also consider the DLC if you're enjoying it as it's pretty damn good, especially the second one. Both of the DLC's add great weapons.

Thanks! I'll keep the DLC in mind, but I'm going to want to make time for 2019 releases too :D At present I have a Strength build going on, although I had trouble settling on a good scaling weapon (e.g. I have a Butcher Knife, but don't like its moveset) so lately I've been using a Broadsword (+9) as I prefer the swings. I'm wearing the Lothric Knight set but with the better stats of the Aristocrat's Mask so my character looks a little goofy :P and Carthus/Cloranthy/Havel's/Estus rings.

Also in-between posts I remembered that I still have loads of expendable souls I haven't used, including many boss souls, so I may need to go through my inventory...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Thanks! I'll keep the DLC in mind, but I'm going to want to make time for 2019 releases too :D At present I have a Strength build going on, although I had trouble settling on a good scaling weapon (e.g. I have a Butcher Knife, but don't like its moveset) so lately I've been using a Broadsword (+9) as I prefer the swings. I'm wearing the Lothric Knight set but with the better stats of the Aristocrat's Mask so my character looks a little goofy :P and Carthus/Cloranthy/Havel's/Estus rings.

Also in-between posts I remembered that I still have loads of expendable souls I haven't used, including many boss souls, so I may need to go through my inventory...

Cool build, strength builds area lot of fun, the ultra weapons are great against mobs, not so much against bosses but sounds like you've done most of them already, have you tried any? The Great club is fun and has so much poise when swinging you can tank hits. Well done for getting through all those bosses without summons dude, it's funny you've gone with a tanky strength build, if you ever have the time to do another playthrough you should maybe try full dex, no shield it's plays a lot like Bloodborne then :)

Dark Souls 3 episode coming up shortly on Cane and Rinse. Really looking forward to it and will be sending through a few thoughts.

Thanks again to @Minionfor making me attempt the Ringed City DLC again. It changed the feeling I was left with by DS3. It's still my least favourite but by the time I finished the final DLC, I saw something in it which struck something of a chord. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Stanshall said:

Dark Souls 3 episode coming up shortly on Cane and Rinse. Really looking forward to it and will be sending through a few thoughts.

Thanks again to @Minionfor making me attempt the Ringed City DLC again. It changed the feeling I was left with by DS3. It's still my least favourite but by the time I finished the final DLC, I saw something in it which struck something of a chord. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it dude, I think the Ringed City wraps up the series quite well.

I know my comment there seems like the faintest of praise but I genuinely felt that by the final boss, I could appreciate the distinctive lore elements which DS3 brought. The closer it got to the end, the richer it became, in fact. Genuine thanks! 

• Upvote 1

I completed this this evening! Well, I did the main questline - maybe not all of the optionals. I got the ending:

Spoiler

'To Link the Fire'

I know there will have been other endings depending on prerequisites, but hey - miss out on things or read up spoilers: pick one. :P As for that final encounter, I was getting better and better at the second phase and it was always my impatience that was killing me; 99% of my internal monologue was "he's done with this combo now right? No follow-ups?" and then there was a follow-up. I liked the concept of the last boss though, and it made things really tricky and interesting when you found that

Spoiler

you were essentially learning multiple movesets because of the style-switching

In the end, simply being patient and waiting for the right opportunities got me through. My final stats were as below:

Spoiler

Vigor: 32

Attunement: 10

Endurance: 28

Vitality: 25

Strength: 42

Dexterity: 15

Intelligence: 9

Faith: 9

Luck: 7

(Fallen Knight set, Raw Knight Shield+8, Heavy Broadsword+9, Carthus Blood/Carthus Milk/Cloranthy/Estus rings)

I know some of those stats are very high but I needed to be doing more of everything in that encounter - more surviving attacks, more damage, etc.

If we count Bloodborne (personally I don't; I think it's different enough to be it's own thing, but I've had that conversation a bazillion times) I'd say that my preference is BB > DS3 > DS2. And I haven't played Demon's, and I bounced right off DS1*. At least now I've freed up some of my gaming schedule in time for new games! :) 

*which probably made the boss' last phase more daunting for me...

• Upvote 2

I've been tempted to replay this since completing DS1 Remastered on the Switch a couple of months ago. I've just noticed that the DLC is discounted on the PS Store at the moment as well - they're both £4 each. What's the second DLC like? Is it as bastard hard as the first one? I'm not sure I could put myself through something like that again to tell the truth.

Just now, Goemon said:

The other thing to point out (from what I remember) is that you have to finish DLC 1 in order to play DLC 2

Really? I might leave it then. I've still got my character from the first time I played through and completed the first DLC, but I'll no doubt be a bit rusty to jump straight back in with DLC 2. I enjoy the first DLC up until that three part twatting final boss, who I just barely managed to overcome by the skin of my teeth on the fiftieth try.

3 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Really? I might leave it then. I've still got my character from the first time I played through and completed the first DLC, but I'll no doubt be a bit rusty to jump straight back in with DLC 2. I enjoy the first DLC up until that three part twatting final boss, who I just barely managed to overcome by the skin of my teeth on the fiftieth try.

You should give it a go, yes it is hard but it’s also brilliant, I’m going to start playing again when I get home from my holiday I think so could always give you a hand if you get stuck. At £4 it’s a steal for some awesome content. There’s two ways to access the final dlc, either complete the first one or get to the final boss of the main game where a fire appears to transport you to the second dlc. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Minion said:

You should give it a go, yes it is hard but it’s also brilliant, I’m going to start playing again when I get home from my holiday I think so could always give you a hand if you get stuck. At £4 it’s a steal for some awesome content. There’s two ways to access the final dlc, either complete the first one or get to the final boss of the main game where a fire appears to transport you to the second dlc. 

Cool. If can access it from the final boss then I'll pick it up. God alone knows when I'll have time to play it though...

• Upvote 1

Hello :) I owe Dark Souls 3 an apology. I bought it on day one, hyped out of my mind. But the PC version was a bit fucked at first and playing the game was a bit disappointing. It couldn't possibly make the same awesome impression at the start that I got from playing through DaS1 as a whole. And I suspect I just wasn't in the right mindset. And I focused too much on what was different from the first game. It just didn't click and forcing myself through a whole chunk of the game despite not really having that much fun was probably a mistake.

However, last month I picked it back up. On XBX this time around. And it's great! I don't know what changed - I probably changed - but so far it's been a compelling, all round awesome experience. Way up there with playing through DaS1 and DeS. So, once again, apologies to Das3. I'm glad we worked it out :wub:

• Upvote 4

Went with default knight assisted by pyromancy. I wasn't planning on a serious playthrough when I fired it up mind, just a quick rummage around to kill some time. Ended up clicking finally, so I kept playing. I was however also playing Shadowrun Hong Kong, so I put DaS3 back down, finished SHK first (also an awesome game btw) and picked DaS3 back up this week.

I'm only up to that giant in chains inside that cathedral. With a two year-old I only play a few hours on some evenings. It's slow going :D

I have all the DLC btw

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Went with default knight assisted by pyromancy. I wasn't planning on a serious playthrough when I fired it up mind, just a quick rummage around to kill some time. Ended up clicking finally, so I kept playing. I was however also playing Shadowrun Hong Kong, so I put DaS3 back down, finished SHK first (also an awesome game btw) and picked DaS3 back up this week.

I'm only up to that giant in chains inside that cathedral. With a two year-old I only play a few hours on some evenings. It's slow going :D

I have all the DLC btw

Ahh sweet you have plenty of good times to enjoy for you then :)

• Upvote 1

@Minion as far as 'best game in the series' goes, I don't think anything will ever surpass the first Dark Souls for me. That was a magical, once in a gaming lifetime experience. But I do think that if DaS3 stays this good until the end, it will definitely be up there with DeS and DaS1 for me. 

It's strange, I distinctly remember struggling through these areas. Just wanting to get past them, to where the game would become enjoyable. And it never did back then, and everything was a big uphill struggle. Don't know what the problem was because now I'm cutting through those very same areas like a hot knife+3 through butter. And I'm marvelling at the beautiful atmosphere of the environments, taking it all in. And I'm really enjoying exploring every nook and cranny. I guess I really was in the wrong mindset back then! Funny how that can go with games.

#minionwasright

• Upvote 3

Deacons of the Deep are down! As are those two giants who uhm were piss-easy? I remember having trouble with them last time, did they nerf them :huh: Just leisurely strolling around their feet and they never hit me. Goodies! 

Next up: cathedral clean-up! And then there were two nasty enemy NPCs guarding the only path left I can think of...

BOY is awake though so my two hours for today are done :D

• Upvote 1

They never nerfed them @Mr. Gerbik as far as I know you must just have got better at the game! I love The Cathedral such a great level. And yes those 2 heavy dudes guarding the other path you need to take are quite difficult good luck!

The Cathedral is indeed brilliant, so many paths to take, shortcuts to discover, and secrets to find - it's an intricate web of layered level design. Souls at its finest. Love it. There's only one nook left to explore there now that the Giants are gone. After that it's time to face those two bastards :ph34r:

I've already rinsed the rest of the swamp btw, it's just those two nasty dudes left - but I'm now a lot higher level than the first time I passed through the swamp. Hopefully that'll make a difference :D

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've already rinsed the rest of the swamp btw, it's just those two nasty dudes left - but I'm now a lot higher level than the first time I passed through the swamp. Hopefully that'll make a difference :D

They are great fun to fight. In fact all the npc fights are great, it's almost a shame they don't respawn.

• Upvote 2

On 09/02/2019 at 18:03, Mr. Gerbik said:

@Minion as far as 'best game in the series' goes, I don't think anything will ever surpass the first Dark Souls for me. That was a magical, once in a gaming lifetime experience. But I do think that if DaS3 stays this good until the end, it will definitely be up there with DeS and DaS1 for me. 

I was in a similar frame of mind at that stage. For a good while I really through DS3 was as good as the first. Each area is really intricately designed and great to explore.

Unfortunately I really didn't like the last quarter or so of it. It really drained all my enthusiasm. And since then I've struggled to replay it, which was always a big deal for me in these games. I did most of NG+ and got part way through with a new character, but just didn't want to go through it anymore. Those areas that were great to explore the first time really aren't enjoyable to do again and again, unlike a lot of DS1 areas. I'm not a fan of most of the bosses either. Too many blokes in armour in big empty spaces. And those refilling energy bars. Just no.

I've played all 3 Dark Souls and Bloodborne and this is only one I didn't platinum. I'm not even sure I prefer this to DS2 in the end.

So um yeah, hope you have a better time with it than I did. 

• Empathy 1

Had a quick go and those two aforementioned NPCs went down first try :) The trick was, as I guessed from having Souls'ed before, to lure the first one out by himself lonesome like.

• Upvote 1

I only had half an hour to myself this afternoon, so I didn't do anything beyond going to those two bastards guarding the entrance to Farron's Keep and smacking them about. Couldn't wait to dive back in after the little one had gone to bed, and I just had a fantastic time rinsing that stinky keep!

I'm guessing From received a few complaints about their beloved poisonous areas, because this is the easiest one yet. It's mercifully small and just a simple circle. But most of all, poison does hardly any damage and there are mostly only weak enemies. A few big nasty bastards, sure, but they are also easily avoided - kinda want to come back for them later of course :D

I *think* I got almost every item, if not all. Reached the Abyss Watchers, beat the first stage of that boss fight in no-time without getting hit, and got halfway through his fiery second form before I got cocky and messed it up. Of course, on the subsequent go I didn't even make it past the first stage! Souls! :D

Edit: of course, almost beating this boss on my first attempt means I'll probably be stuck here for months now :lol: Souls!

• Upvote 4