Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

I'm a little sad because all my builds (Quality, Strength, Dex, Mage, Pyro, Faith, Hollow/Luck) are all reaching their respective soft-cap meta of SL120. I've not done a Dark build, but that seems pretty pointless when i can just give my Pyro new equipment and he's already spec'd.

I wanted to remake my Rhoy (zero bonfire) build, but i don't think that's viable due to split Estus, and no actual healing items. I'm not crazy enough to think i can make it though the game unscathed. lol! I guess i need to start going a little more off-kilter. I suppose the first thing that springs to mind is a Bow only build. Thats do-able. 

Any other ideas that aren't Youtube click-bait fodder such as: "SL1 NG+7 with two shields" etc...?

I'm keen to mess with a save editor (or cheat engine on PC or whatever) so I can start a new game at base level on ng+,  upgrades etc allowed, starting from scratch at a much higher level. I think that'd be a good challenge. 

Though I suppose if I persevere til end game on my sl1 character I can do just that using  him! 

24 minutes ago, LiMuBai said:

Is a Hollow run viable?

Hollowing + Luck + High Bleed Weapons are probably the most lethal in the game when they proc. Its a close second to a Quality build if you're looking at pure DPS.

@Davros sock drawer The purple chest/inventory icon only shows on items/consumables and spells/miracles/pyros, not on weapons or armour sets. 

But given that the vendor only sells 1 set of each unique armour (ignoring crappy Leather stuff etc), weapons should be the only things you need to keep track of, and even then the vendors stock isn't that extensive, so it really shouldn't be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

@Davros sock drawer The purple chest/inventory icon only shows on items/consumables and spells/miracles/pyros, not on weapons or armour sets. 

But given that the vendor only sells 1 set of each unique armour (ignoring crappy Leather stuff etc), weapons should be the only things you need to keep track of, and even then the vendors stock isn't that extensive, so it really shouldn't be an issue. 

It's weapons that were bothering me the most actually, as I'm trying to catch 'em all. Have I got a Crescent Axe? I dunno, hang on, I'll just have to quit out of the vendor menu, go into my inventory, scroll past a gazillion weapons...yep, got that one. Ok, what else is for sale? Morning Star...have I got a Morning Star? Shit, I dunno, I'll just....

Etc.

I suppose I should just buy them anyway, it's not like I'm short of Souls.

New onebro episodes up! Not as exciting as my Dancer video though :(

I spend far too long wondering where the  fuck Siegward is (and constantly call him 'Siegmund' for some reason.. I blame red wine!) in episode 9.

In episode 10 I spent way too many tries trying to make it to the shortcuts in irithyll.. Bloody DAGS! 

Subsequently I started up learning Pontiff, it's not bad actually, I nearly had him on the 3rd go! He doesn't like parries..!  I'm just dying a lot going for cocky L2s! Hehe. 

I also discovered the reason why I couldn't find Siegward (forgot to open the door opposite Rosaria's Bedchamber), which means I'll probably divert to the dungeon / capital to get his slab before returning to finish the Pontiff properly! 

God I love this game! :wub:

Well thanks to @jonamok I've literally just started this last night (it'll be slow progress with my current baby arrangements though).

My first DS game (although I platinumed BB :) ) and I like it so far. It's taking a little while to get used to the combat flow. I keep trying to do BB style dodge/counters but my Knight is way to slow for it and I keep getting caught out, must use the shield more.

I am actually going to restart it again tonight (only 40 mins in or so) as I stupidly attacked everyone in the first castle/shrine without realising they were friendly (including killing a merchant woman). Think I was just a) tired, and b) being 'aggressive cautious' as I had a load of souls, next to no health and no bonfire (until I realised the middle of the shrine was one)... doh!

While I'm re-rolling a character, any quick tips for builds. I played nimble and fast in BB but that style in general doesn't seem to work as well in DS so I was either going to go with a Knight again (presumably Vigor, Strength, Stamina majors), or perhaps something magic (never use these at all before). 

For your first character I'd focus on upping health and stamina first, increasing your strength / dex as needed when you find a weapon you like.  The scaling bonuses only come into their own in the late game, when your weapons are +7 to 10

What was your weapon of choice in BB? There will be a similar option in this game if you want to do that. 

The Knight is the best starting class for new players. Its such a strong build for the early parts of the game. Plus the combat is very much sword & board orientated so its a good jumping off point.

While you can play a Bloodborne evasive style, you really should get used to playing shields up, that way you can learn which attacks are okay to absorb stamina-wise, and which you need to evade. Luckily all the starting classes in DS3 have enough Vitality to avoid the 'fat roll'.

As mentioned, only level Health and Stamina until you find a weapon you really like. Even then, don't spunk too many levels on STR or DEX etc, until you have upgraded your weapon to a decent-ish level. Survivability should be priority number one.

Enjoy!

Thanks! I'll focus on Health and Stamina then. :)

43 minutes ago, dood said:

What was your weapon of choice in BB? There will be a similar option in this game if you want to do that. 

Threaded cane mainly (for speed, reach and crowd control) with the odd bit of Ludwig's thrown in for bigger damage.

I think in DS I'd like to embrace the engine and do more sword and board style play. Although I've always tended for fast and agile in most games so standing there and taking a hit is a bit alien to me, I almost unconsciously start hitting roll/dodge and then remember there is a shield to be used after the fact.

One bro had a pretty successful half hour this morning, managed to grab  the cat ring (I know I can cast spook but prefer the ring! Have you ever known the pain of spook expiring during a long drop..?), meet my good friend in Irithyll and then sprint through the dungeon to +10 my weapon. Finished off by ending Yohrm first try. A couple of silly deaths aside it was very satisfying! 

I'm out straight after work today for the whole weekend so video will have to come next week! I'm feeling like this is doable you know! :)

We'll see how I feel once I end up banging my head against the next couple of bosses, though.  Hehe. 

Patch 1.05 just went live. There are a whole host of tweaks and bug fixes. One that immediately stood out was the ability to use weapon Skills with only 1FP has been fixed. Every PvP-er will now have to ditch their off-hand Simple Caestus. lol! I guess that also means us Dagger skill swamp travellers will be trudging in waist deep mud once again.