Dark Souls 3

Bojangle

Very true - I remember watching the ENB Dark Souls playthrough and I'd missed about 90% of the Lore/NPC stuff.

RE: Covenants 

Spoiler

I've still got no idea what happened with the Sunbro covenant. I know I picked up it up in the Undead Settlement (that seems a long time ago) and tried to equip it, but couldn't. And now I no longer have it in my inventory. 

About those raise the bridge bits in CotD - 

Spoiler

I get the point of the one - it allows you to get across to the bonfire/covenant thing. But what is the point of the other two? I've already killed one of the giants with the bow and arrow, and there didn't seem to be a point with the other one as I can run quick enough to get the items/get to the safe area.

2 hours ago, Goose said:

I've just done that bit and appear to have fucked up - NPC related 

Reveal hidden contents

I joined the Rosario Dawson covenant but when I went back to Firelink, the pilgrim was dead and one of the NPCs was annoyed I'd joined the covenant and said ominously, that if we meet again, it'd be as adversaries. Any way to fix this? 

Also, the pyromancer just refused the dark grave tome, said it needed someone depressed to read it.

I mentioned that this happened to me a few days back.

I did the covenant requirements on this playthrough so as to not do it again.  

Interesting piece on the Dark Souls easy mode debate. I don't agree with it at all, but it's well written and makes some interesting points.

https://thiscageisworms.com/2016/04/28/on-dark-souls-and-easy-modes/

I feel like I'd like to play a game like Dark Souls where all the focus wasn't on combat as your primary means of interacting with the world, but I feel like you'd need to replace it with something for the game to work, and an easy mode in Dark Souls would be kind of pointless.

Most if not all NPCs have ambiguous quest lines that are close to impossible to complete without guidance. Talk to those you meet, exhaust their dialogue and keep checking back every so often. Some will leave, and some you will lose track of because you did not do that certain action at a certain point at a certain location. Then there are NPCs who do not get along with others etc.

Do not let it worry you. If after your first playthrough you want to know more, ask the wiki.

Had some lovely pvp/trolling at the fight club area after the PS room - I rock thorn armour and a big spear and greatshield, with an invincibility boosting ring. Most people can't get past a simple roll and poke with a shield that absorbs nearly everything else. Fights go on for ages as I tank them with death by a thousand cuts. I've had people drop to their knees losing the will to live, jumping off the platform, and in one case inviting me to a steam group called "YOU SUCK VERY MUCH". I would feel bad if the game didn't encourage it. Like that ring that lets you snipe while being invisible.

@Goose re your NPCs.. 

Spoiler

Has someone else showed up near Yoel's corpse? If not it's not big deal, but if you'd taken all 5 free level ups he offers, him dying g is part of the quest. 

If you don't take the levels he dies anyway.  So dont sweat that one too much.  If you diligent, you'll eventually find his ashes and be able to buy his inventory from the handmaid. (that is true for all the shop NPCs FYI) 

As for the other lady, she threatened me exactly the same, but I literally never saw her again! So again don't sweat it.  

Some really good and lucky progress. Spoiler for CoC and beyond.

Spoiler

Found the Smouldering Lake but kept getting rained upon by something. Found and killed poor Horace. Do I go back to Anri in the catacombs now? 

The Old Demon - killed me the first go but on the second go, with help, we somehow glitched him into the rocks themselves - so it was just a case of shooting arrows at him.

After that I took on the High Lord, again a lingering death first time out. Then I clicked the mechanic and he was dead in 30 seconds. The next area looks staggering!

3 bosses down already today. DOTBV, OTCK and DA...

Honestly didn't find any of them too much of a problem, even did OTCK first time, which is the only time I've managed that yet in the whole game (apart from the tutorial). Combined shielding and dodging seemed to work well against all of them, and they're all fairly inaccurate with their attacks, especially OTCK.

LOVED the dragon bridge area. So cool. Can't believe the game is still going tbh! I'm around 44 hours. Hard to tell how close to the end.

I'm at 45 hours, not been rushing it at all ( a good amount of PvP & co-op ) & I'm pretty much done. 

I reckon if I hadn't done any multiplayer stuff, I'd be under 40. 

I've missed two bosses, that I can gather from abbreviations on here but I think I've visited all the areas. 

Just beaten YtG and heading to the next area

it's only ANOR LONDO !! woooooooo !!

For me, they've hit a nice vein of referencing the previous games through extraneous stuff.  Really loved seeing Siegwerd kick some arse against Yhorn, then get the beer out; a happy ending at last.

There's probably too much obtuse NPC stuff that requires internet help.  I muddled through most of one character's story up to now, but I'm ceratin that all the others have gone AWOL long ago.

DS2 left me a little cold, but here the levels and combat, the wealth of weapons, covenants and attention to detail, oh my gosh it's so lovely.

Happy days

2 hours ago, ph0rce said:

I'm at 45 hours, not been rushing it at all ( a good amount of PvP & co-op ) & I'm pretty much done. 

I reckon if I hadn't done any multiplayer stuff, I'd be under 40. 

I've missed two bosses, that I can gather from abbreviations on here but I think I've visited all the areas. 

Which bosses have you missed?

30 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Which bosses have you missed?

Based on posts here; NK & AW. 

I think there's something I've missed in UG, as I've got a feeling about it but I'm not sure. 

Also ( SL related )

it looks like I might be able to get up to where the giant crossbow is but I've done a few laps of the over / underground & unless I need to go through that lava at the bottom, I can't see it.

22 minutes ago, ph0rce said:

Based on posts here; NK & AW. 

I think there's something I've missed in UG, as I've got a feeling about it but I'm not sure. 

Also ( SL related )

Hide contents

it looks like I might be able to get up to where the giant crossbow is but I've done a few laps of the over / underground & unless I need to go through that lava at the bottom, I can't see it.

If you haven't fought NK, have you  been to AP area at all (full area name spoiler follows) 

Archdragon Peak

?

Cos it's a pretty big, and pretty awesome area.

2 hours ago, Stoikovich said:

Just beaten YtG and heading to the next area

Reveal hidden contents

it's only ANOR LONDO !! woooooooo !!

For me, they've hit a nice vein of referencing the previous games through extraneous stuff.  Really loved seeing Siegwerd kick some arse against Yhorn, then get the beer out; a happy ending at last.

There's probably too much obtuse NPC stuff that requires internet help.  I muddled through most of one character's story up to now, but I'm ceratin that all the others have gone AWOL long ago.

DS2 left me a little cold, but here the levels and combat, the wealth of weapons, covenants and attention to detail, oh my gosh it's so lovely.

Happy days

I missed quite a few events because I wasn't ember'ed up all the time.   

22 minutes ago, macosx said:

I found a really succinct checklist online for the levels, which has been great on this play through; great for the NPC parts.

It is a great checklist.  

Linky ...

https://zkjellberg.github.io/dark-souls-3-cheat-sheet/

The only bad thing about it is that it told me that I need to do NK again, arrrrhhhh I don't think I can do that again.   :D

I've worked my way through SL and made it up to the giant 3 bolt crossbow thing, and I'm wondering if it's a dead end? I can see the moonlight enticing me through a hole in the cliff wall, but I can't find a way out.

I haven't given the boss a try yet, is the way out past him?