Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

I went to sleep, Dark Souls 3 was happening.

I woke up, it's not.

Fuckin' rllmuk man. 24/7 rollercoaster shit.

Can we please we make that our new slogan?

• Upvote 3

Some of those shots look very similar to Bloodborne.

The bottom one especially which, aside from the shield, could easily be taken from Old Yharnam...

I went to sleep, Dark Souls 3 was happening.

I woke up, it's not.

Fuckin' rllmuk man. 24/7 rollercoaster shit.

You should see the Valve thread for the real third game related roller coaster. Those guys are picked up and then dropped, and crushed, on at least a monthly basis.

We have a ways to go in here yet.

• Upvote 1

If those shots are fake, they're the best faked screenshots I have ever seen. I guess it is possible that this is a Souls styled BB DLC, which I would be fine with. Maybe even something set in Yharnham long before BB or even the Pthunerians. Maybe even something solidly linking BB to Demon's Souls, like a half way point between the two series.

The bottom one especially which, aside from the shield, could easily be taken from Old Yharnam...

I thought that as well - the statues and the railings look exactly like the ones in Yharnam, rather than anything that would turn up in Drangleic or Lordran. Plus, the second screenshot has the same chromatic aberration filter that was all over Bloodborne.

I agree with the weird mix of Bloodborne architecture and backgrounds and Souls assets in the foreground. It is definitely odd (and interesting).

Also look at this picture ZdhMmwv.png

Completely lifted DS1 placeholder, which is possible in early development, but has anyone translated what the Japanese bits say? Also why is Sunlight blade a usable ITEM with 99 stores? Sunlight blade is a spell (which usually can't be used without a catalyst/miracle thingy - hence soul arrow is greyed out). Another thing is the Souls character constantly has a big sword on their back and in some shows does not have a weapon drawn (sword is on the back) or when they do, they have a smaller sword drawn. Could be a nice detail where your second weapon is displayed on your person (there is a shot holding the claymore style sword but the shot isn't wide enough to see the back).

The way the background and foreground merge together is odd. Again BB style architecture in the background with very similar lighting to when you first pop into Majula through that crack lol. I can't see a whole new Dark Souls game being BB DLC - just doesn't make any sense, despite all of the BB assets and art style clearly being very present. Souls games are very magic medieval and BB is very Gothic horror but if anyone can fuse them together it would be From Soft. Also the timing of the game can only make sense in two ways 1: It is BB DLC (unlikely) or 2: This game was made by the Dark Souls II team while Miya worked in BB.

The Project Beast reveal seemed a lot more believable, but then I guess that had a video around the time to make it that way.

(From Neogaf) The translation - the text says: "betsu no sekai ni shinnyusuru" or "Invade another world"

Neogaf reckon the DS1 thing is a placeholder, with the HUD being the final thing developed for the game in question.

Does anyone have a good side view of the bridge you cross to go fight FG in BB? The one in the background of that shot looks suspiciously like it in my head. Possibly higher up though - and you take the lift DOWN to the FG bridge so obviously not the same one, just similar in design/placement.

Does anyone have a good side view of the bridge you cross to go fight FG in BB? The one in the background of that shot looks suspiciously like it in my head. Possibly higher up though - and you take the lift DOWN to the FG bridge so obviously not the same one, just similar in design/placement.

Yeah, the bridge to Gasgcoine doesn't have the turrets at each end plus it has the widened bit a third along..

He states he has no insider knowledge on this at all which leaves him completely free to speculate. Only speaks about it for around the first 10 minutes.

Just listened - he makes some good points I think, and he seems to genuinely have no insider knowledge.

We'll know soon I guess. Some of the information and screenshots do seem off a little, but I think it's something. Maybe not DS3, but it's something related. I've never really followed many fake reveals, but if this is a fake, it seems like a lot of work to gain 15 minutes of fame. More so considering that DS3 really isn't that much of a stretch. Let's be honest, if someone had shown shots of HL3, no matter how good, we wouldn't believe it. But for DS3, it's a feasible possibility.

Just listened - he makes some good points I think, and he seems to genuinely have no insider knowledge.

We'll know soon I guess. Some of the information and screenshots do seem off a little, but I think it's something. Maybe not DS3, but it's something related. I've never really followed many fake reveals, but if this is a fake, it seems like a lot of work to gain 15 minutes of fame. More so considering that DS3 really isn't that much of a stretch. Let's be honest, if someone had shown shots of HL3, no matter how good, we wouldn't believe it. But for DS3, it's a feasible possibility.

Shit.

He's crossed the streams!

Almost all fakes are loading screens, logos, blurry pictures from screens or bad magazine scans (usually with foreign language but not Japanese text). The only one that springs to mind with faked screenshots this convincing is the MGS2 Snake mode one, which was years ago. All the Fallout 4 ones for example were supposed to look like ARG games or placeholder sites because that stuff is easy to fake.

The effort involved in making those screens would be titanic. The lighting is so reminiscent of BB , you'd need to mock up fake assets in the DSII engine and then shop in the Yharnham style sky and lighting, and that's a big task to have undertaken in the relatively short time since Bloodborne was released. The assets of the new enemies particularly would require an incredibly talented 3D model maker, given that they're clearly not from any other Fromsoft game but they fit the style so well. The only one which looks suspect is the HUD one, which looks fake as shit for all the reasons already stated.

The more I look at them though, the more convinced I am that whatever that is is running in the BB engine, which makes the possibility it's Bloodborne DLC that someone has stuck a Dark Souls HUD over seem more credible.

• Upvote 2

Getting your hands on screenshots of BB DLC would be a mega-scoop in itself, though. Why would someone doctor them to look like DS3, and ruin their own story?

I call fake as hell on the screenshots, the perspective is all over the place on those where you can see any, and the rest are deliberately vauge for to hide blurring in photoshop or elements which don't exist otherwise. Why do they look like magazine scans, when no magazine has printed anything about them? Why is the lighting all over the place? Why is the formatting of the UI so poorly aligned?

• Downvote 1

You think someone shopped that from scratch? What about the new elements? Detective GAF would've spotted whatever they came from.

Speaking of which, someone on there made an interesting suggestion that maybe what we're seeing here are extremely early shots of what eventually became Bloodborne, and it was originally going to be Demon's Souls 2. Maybe someone found the leaked images and made up the info to fit them in order to create a rumour when there's no From announcement for e3 at all.

You hope it's a fake based on how SOON its revealed? You do realise From had two teams working on two different games with overlapping periods? And if revealed, the launch date could be a while away. And you do realise we've had four souls esque games in around six years which have all been great which means they haven't even been two years apart? Lol

• Upvote 2

Still seems way too much effort for a fake. Why create so many shots from different locations? You get the internet talking for a day and that'd be it.

And a reveal at e3 could still mean a March 2017 release date. Say major Bloodborne expansion in December and another smaller one in May 2016. You'd be ready to die again in 2017.

You hope it's a fake based on how SOON its revealed? You do realise From had two teams working on two different games with overlapping periods? And if revealed, the launch date could be a while away. And you do realise we've had four souls esque games in around six years which have all been great which means they haven't even been two years apart? Lol

'You do realise...' 'And you do realise...'

Yes, honey, I realise.

I hope it's fake based not on how soon it's revealed, but on how soon it's to be released (next year, if true). And yes, I'm not a fan of franchises pendulumming between two teams in order for a publisher to whack out an entry each year. It almost always results in the series getting stale and boring. Quality drops. Franchise fatigue sets in. See Call of Duty. See Assassin's Creed. See Guitar Hero. (See Dark Souls 2, many would argue.) This rumour being true would mean we'd have three main releases in three years: oversaturation. How about one of the teams works on ... something original?

'You do realise Bloodborne is an original game?' There, I saved you the bother.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Without having this go on and on, I don't think From software's output is comparable to Activision and Ubisoft pumping out stuff every year of mainstream franchises- which sell regardless of quality. AC1 was shit in the first place. Souls games are not mainstream, the reason they sell well is because a cult following due to the quality of them and word of mouth - which poor rushed out yearly releases could ruin from any other big publisher that does that, but this isn't happening. They know if the games end up shit, the franchise will die, unlike COD and AC that gets by on regularly shit entries because it has enough of a publisher backing, media and mainstream appeal.

I think it's a bit rich to roll your eyes at the idea of Dark Souls 3 releasing late next year when it would be keeping in line with the 18 months or so minimum gaps between the main games and not one of them has been a mis-step yet. Dark Souls 2 may not be the strongest in the franchise and had some poor decisions in some peoples eyes, but it is still a great game. I don't understand this worry of oversaturation based on a rumour and a series of four excellent games over a six year period - especially now as the creator and director is president of the company involved. I do get your concern, but not the fact that it is basically founded on nothing.

• Upvote 1