Bojangle

Dark Souls 3

16 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Edit: of course, almost beating this boss on my first attempt means I'll probably be stuck here for months now :lol: Souls!

I need not have worried!

This morning I tried maybe 4 or 5 times in a row and got nowhere. I was already  accepting that this could take a loooong time. I had to quit to go to a doctor's appointment, came back, fired up DaS3 for a quick go and beat The Abyss Watcher on the first try! DAT LORD HATH FALLEN

It went pretty much like my first try, got a bunch of backstabs in on the dudes in the first stage, reached the second form no problem, only this time I kept my cool and my distance. Waited for my openings and down he went :)

Onwards! 

• Upvote 4

Well, since you asked! Instead of going onwards, I went back. To mop up bits that I walked past before. First off, the Abyss Watcher netted me just about enough souls to finally buy that tower key from the maiden in Firelink shrine. The lure of even moar strength called to me, but I had been putting it off for so long..  Behind Firelink I found lots of goodies and some familiar faces - one shiny shiny and one treacherous bastard.

Firelink Tower - DONE!

On my way through the swamp I found a high tower with an old wolf sleeping inside. Even higher up I ended up on the massive bridge from the start of the game, but on the other side of where it had collapsed. I love it when Souls does that, especially since you can see every single location you've been from there. I could trace my entire route through the game so far!

Apart from the gorgeous view (praise the sun) there was also an ashen white massive troll thing that looked a bit like the Asylum Demon from the first game. I had skipped him before after being slaughtered a few times.

Now I immediately noticed that the trick was hideously simple - if his giant club rests in his left hand, strafe to his left. Once he switches to his right hand, strafe to his right. Bastard couldn't even hit me anymore! But I got so confident that I allowed him to grab me and throw me off the bridge for an insta-kill three times in a row! :lol: Souls!

Anyway: white troll demon thing: DONE!

Last but not least, the massive fire-breathing dragon from the first real area - the high wall, iirc? I brought me 99 bolts, 46 heavy bolts, and 6 explodey bolts. And I just stood there. Thwoomp. Thwoomp. Thwoomp. Whittling down his health bit by bit, until... No more bolts. And the dragon still had 20% or so of his health bar left! :facepalm: Well that was a waste of time. And bolts. 

Fire Dragon: FAILED!

Onwards through the catacombs. Made an ass of myself at first by running around looking for the necromancer that was resurrecting all those skeletons. Died three times in a row battling a really fast skinny skeleton warrior on the first narrow bridge because I remained locked on as he fell to his doom. The struggle became real! ...until I realized that there was no necromancer. :facepalm: In fact, those blue eyed skeletons only resurrect once! Just a matter of killing them twice. So I took my time going through, which suddenly made the entire area a shitload easier - Souls 101 people! - and rinsed the entire first bit. I had to quit once I got deeper down, in some narrow hallways with skeletons throwing curse bombs. Literal bombs that explode with curse spells I mean, not skeletons that are shouting profanities as I walk by.

So far, I fucking love this game :wub:

• Upvote 4

So, I explored the rest of the catacombs. It was the most tense part of the game yet for me. The swamps looked intimidating, but after noticing you can simply wade through and chuck down an estus flask every 5 minutes give or take to easily survive - it loses all dread. The catacombs never did, as those fast skeletons kept shitting me up. Sure, they went down in a few hits but if you let your guard down for a second they can cut you up so fast.

The rope bridge was hilarious and I immediately suspected once I saw it and a dev message emphasized how rickety it was :D

The boss at the end was disappointing, less of an epic battle more akin to one of the weaker gimmick bosses from Demon's Souls. I ran up to his arm, figuring the extremely obvious gold bracelet was key. It shattered, taking a third of its health bar with it! I subsequently died instantly a few times from his dark breath attack, but other than that I was in zero danger. Once I figured staying on the outside of his hands, I casually ran around, shattered three bracelets and that was it. Hm.

Warped back to Firelink, noted that I was only missing 1 large titanite shard to level up my current fave bastard sword to +6. Then I accidentally spent all my large titanite shards on the wrong weapon as I wasn't paying attention :facepalm:

The next area, uhm... :Googles: - :copies: - :pastes: - Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, is goddamn gorgeous! I waltzed through its fancy streets to the next bonfire at a church no problem. I thankfully found a bunch more large titanite shards but at the end of that area I was, once again, 1 large shard short! Sigh.

Instead of moving on I warped back to the catacombs to have another go at a fire demon at the bottom of the chasm below the rickety rope bridge. Hilariously, he eventually fell down into an area filled with skeletons who promptly attacked him. They took off over half his health! I followed with a plunging attack and that was over.

Ended up at an underground lake afterwards. It surprised me to see how massive fuck-off huge this all was, I figured there was maybe a single room down here. But it's a proper new area! There is a massive lake worm and also a massive sniper somewhere. Sounds like he/she/it is using a ballista or something. I can't manage to hit the worm, so I'm wondering whether I can use said ballista to my advantage... (Don't tell me btw) Or maybe I should just return to :paste: Irithyll of the Boreal Valley? As that area seemed way easier. Decisions, decisions.

The good news is that I found a bunch of large shards down there by the lake, so I could level my sword after all! And I found my second titanite chunk right after, so I leveled my sword twice. Nice. For now though, to bed. Back in the day I would have marathoned this game but poor old man me can't hack it no more. A few hours at a time!

Also at some point an old man showed me a scrap of a painting and I got sucked into a snowy painted world. Is that DLC? Best saved for the late game or even afterwards??? It sure feels like it. Especially since its placement on the bonfire warp list aaallll the way at the end.

Still Loving it btw :wub:

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Is that DLC?

It is indeed, I would recommend coming back a little later due to the strength of the enemies, in fact there is a dev message at the beginning of the area recommending you have explored Lothric Castle before attempting the painted world.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Minion said:

It is indeed, I would recommend coming back a little later due to the strength of the enemies, in fact there is a dev message at the beginning of the area recommending you have explored Lothric Castle before attempting the painted world.

Cheers! I did see a dev message, but it said "only the mighty". So I immediately turned around :D

The Smouldering Lake was a bit frustrating and not fun to explore - it reminds me most of the Chalice dungeons in Bloodborne, imho the worst kind of Souls. I need more than just the combat, having interesting environments that are fun/gripping to explore is key as far my personal Souls preferences go. Irithyll was also easier going, so I made my mind up to come back later to the Smouldering Lake - if ever.

But before I could do so, I found myself advancing bit by bit down in the Smouldering Lake dungeons. I would die, go back to retrieve my Souls with every intention to warp out, but subsequently not be able to resist having a quick look around the next corner. Before I knew it, I had reached the BIG BALLISTA and turned that fucker off - finally!

I encountered an old fire Demon down there too, but a few attempts later I was like NOPE I'll be back later for you!

There's also some NPC with a massive sword hidden under a bridge who consistently one-shots me - NOPE I'll be back later for you!

Irithyll was a joy, ended up reaching the next area having skipped a bunch so I went right back. So many references to DaS1! Reached a boss in a church and - NOPE I'll be back later for you!

The Irithyll Dungeons are thankfully a lot better than the Smouldering Lake dungeons, in fact they're the DaS3 homage to Tower of Latria, aren't they? Tense and scary, lovely stuff :D

Whatagame :wub:

• Upvote 2

HOLY MOTHERFUCKING OMG WTF 

Spoiler

ANOR FUCKING LONDO!!!! :omg:

And on the way there with the massive bow rooftop snipers I was like lol flashing back to Anor Londo lol. And the with the rotating lift platform again lol Anor Londo. And then I step forwards and "ANOR LONDO" :o

Jaw on the floor moment

It was on top of Ithiryll this whole time?!

I'm blown away. Getting there was fantastic too, what a great area. Tense, challenging, exhilarating, fun. 

Oh and this is of course old news to everyone in this thread but I still used a spoiler because it's new to me :lol:

Late to the party but what a party :omg:

Oh shit better but the phone down and activate that bonfire. THIS BONFIRE IS LIT AF YO

• Upvote 2

I never played the original Dark Souls before DS3 so that was lost on me at the time :(

You never mentioned how you coped with the giant dog beast at the start of Irthiryll, did it give ya a fright? Did you run away or fight him?

Smouldering Lake dungeon is the worst area in the game, just a boring, samey looking maze with very sparse bonfires and lots of ways to get yourself killed.

So did you kill the church boss? He was one of the hardest in the game for me (I had no shield, had to dodge every attack as they almost all one-shotted me :( ). I also found the Irythyll warriors around the streets absolutely rock hard at that point in the game, they could usually one-shot me with their combos as well.

18 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

You never mentioned how you coped with the giant dog beast at the start of Irthiryll, did it give ya a fright? Did you run away or fight him?

I completely forgot about him. I arrived at Ithiryll, was all like 'ooooh gorgeous view ahead', I heard some rumblings, turned around and smacked him. He didn't give me any trouble so I forgot.

Smouldering Lake dungeon is the worst area in the game, just a boring, samey looking maze with very sparse bonfires and lots of ways to get yourself killed.

Glad to know the worst is behind me and it only gets better! Smouldering Lake was indeed the only real disappointment so far.

So did you kill the church boss? He was one of the hardest in the game for me (I had no shield, had to dodge every attack as they almost all one-shotted me :( ). I also found the Irythyll warriors around the streets absolutely rock hard at that point in the game, they could usually one-shot me with their combos as well.

I'm tanking it as knight with a bit of pyro, so the Ithiryll Warriors were easy for me as long as I could kite them. They couldn't one-shot me and I killed them in three hits. 

The church boss I didn't really beat :ph34r: I summoned. I know, I know, I feel dirty but I just wasn't making any progress and thought I'd give it a shot. Summoned that female knight NPC and still it was a hard fight - she died! - but I still got him on that first try with a summon. I assumed he was an optional boss because there's also the Ithiryll Dungeons on the other side of town which I'm still at at the start of. Imagine my surprise that there was a massive new area behind that boss! And then *that* area! 

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The church boss I didn't really beat :ph34r: I summoned. I know, I know, I feel dirty but I just wasn't making any progress and thought I'd give it a shot. Summoned that female knight NPC and still it was a hard fight - she died! - but I still got him on that first try with a summon. I assumed he was an optional boss because there's also the Ithiryll Dungeons on the other side of town which I'm still at at the start of. Imagine my surprise that there was a massive new area behind that boss! And then *that* area! 

No shame in summons at all. I summoned humans or NPCs for half the Bloodborne bosses and the first couple of DS3 bosses as well. Sometimes you just think "I can't be arsed with this" knowing it will take you hours or days to beat some boss when all you really want to do is see what's beyond them. Heck even with summons some bosses in the Souls series are rock hard, and summoning can even make it more difficult as they get bigger health bars. I did take satisfaction in doing bosses solo after that but I had a lot of free time and honestly some of them were just excercises in patience and frustration, not helped with the long load times, pointless bonfire runs etc. 

Hollow Knight got the balance right where the bosses can be really hard but its very fast to get back to them when you die, and they always feel just about achieveable (except for of course the last boss and the DLC ones!).

I agree that there's absolutely no shame in it - it's a core feature in the game after all - but for me it doesn't really count as having beaten that boss. Progressed past him yes, and it's no less satisfying and exhilarating - but I did every boss solo in DeS, DaS1, and BB* and I loved doing it. Just a personal challenge thing. Nowadays I have far less time so I doubt I'll ever be back to completely solo DaS3 - it is what it is.

*Not 100% sure about BB now that I think about it.

What a game what a game. Had to stop for now, but today's session made a big impact. Fighting my way up those Ithiryll rooftops, past hard as nails enemies on narrow ledges, not knowing what's around the next corner, hoping for a bonfire. Tense as fuck, exhilarating, pure Souls. Way, way up there with DeS and DaS1 for me.

From Software :wub:

I went back to the Ithiryll Dungeons for now btw, as the enemies are way way easier there so it feels like I'm supposed to do that first. Having said that, a sleeping giant down there smacked me dead as I tried to sneak past :lol:

• Upvote 1

I think in some ways, DS3 is the best game in the Souls series (I don't count BB as part of that). It has the best combat and bosses for sure, and arguably the best level design in the series with Cathedral of the Deep.

• Upvote 2

Cathedral of the Deep is masterclass in level design. So many interlocking vertical levels/layers weaving in and out of each other with a perfect build up. That area is From at its best. Genius.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Vemsie said:

I think in some ways, DS3 is the best game in the Souls series (I don't count BB as part of that). It has the best combat and bosses for sure, and arguably the best level design in the series in Cathedral of the Deep.

Yes I agree! The best combat, the best weapons, the best bosses and brilliant levels, and the PvP was made excellent with the final balancing patch they released making all sorts of builds viable it's just a shame they took so long to get that bit right.