rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nespresso

XCOM 2 - War of the Chosen

long war 2 is insanely substantial, and thats free...FREE I TELLS YA!, they really could have relased that as DLC for a tenner and it would have been worth it!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Long War 2 is immense and it's the only way to play if you have a PC.  Can't wait to see what they do with LW2 and War of the Chosen, should be epic and will most probably drag me right back in.  I've put 502 hours into XCom2 according to steam :o

that could be interesting, but i cant bring my self to pay that much for the DLC, its more than twice what i paid for the gmae! will however wait and see what they do ,as that could be, as you say, epic!

although, phoenix point sounds like it could be good to! its a "spiritual" follow up to original xcom, by julian gollop!

I'm guessing the embargo has just lifted as reviews are starting to turn up:

Eurogamer - Reccomended

RPS - Reccomended 

To quote RPS, "‘DLC’ desperately undersells War Of The Chosen, this fat and bursting sausage of turn-based splendour. I think I might have found ‘XCOM 3’ a mite more appropriate."

• Upvote 2

anybody playing war of the chosen then?

Ive played a few hours its pretty good! Takes a few inspirations from LW2! not gona lie, put a couple of the "advanced" options that make it "easier" ,specifically the one that doubles the pips and mission timers, as imo, they were the absolute worst parts about xcom 2, i dont like feeling rushed in xcom lol!

Some places saying its the best way to play, if youve never played, not sure i could agree with that, as its a full price relase and requires the main game...even though you literally have to downaload the same amount of data again!? as it uses a complelty different .exe, which also means the performance improvements in this are not put into the main game? which is a bit annoying.

BUT, the new enemies...interesting...very interesting. The problem is, they are more interesting than the main game, which you still have to play through at the same time lol

Will be very cool to see what the LW2 guys do with this!

19 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

anybody playing war of the chosen then?

I haven't, because I'm not sure I can go back to playing the game without long war.  I'm very tempted though.

I'm not sure long war will ever be implemented into this btw.  Long War Studios have changed their name to Pavonis Interactive and are actively developing a game (Terra Invicta) which will be a direct competitor to X-Com.  I can't see why Firaxis would give them the privileged access they've had in the past in those circumstances. 

see, im a BIG fan of LW, but, the fact you can make the game last longer via an option helps, and it has taken a few things from LW. Plus, it loads so much faster!

Im hoping they will do an implementaion of LW, if only to use the update to load better!

anf hoping for at least one more of the mods i used to come across, some may say its blatant cheating, but man i want my persistent heals back lol

I do miss my big squads though :(

Do any mods work with the expansion at the moment?  I was expecting cosmetic mods and small things like persistent heals to work still, probably naively!

they have to be updated for it, as it uses a completly differnt exe, it bascically is a new game, that launches from the same launch window! so mods have to alter those game files, not the original game files

it has only bee nout a few days though, and there are a few already!

Ah, that might actually make things easier then!  I'll just unsub from all my mods and give it a go, when I'm done with Mario + Rabbids :)

you dont need to unsub! when the launcher starts, you select either vanila or wotc, then where your mod list is,  it shows bright yellow warnings next to mods that wont work, and you just click disable all mods, or just dont select any!

• Upvote 1

depends, do you want to then play through the exact same game after finishing it, but expanded in large ways?...or just play through the game with a bunch of extra stuff!

as long as you know how to play the game you should be fine going straight into it!

• Empathy 1

so found out an intersting thing, you can delete almost the entire main game, and war of the chosen will still work, as it is essentially self contained.

saving 25 gig! which on my 500gig games ssd, was a bit lol

• Upvote 1

On 01/09/2017 at 15:50, 5R7 said:

you dont need to unsub! when the launcher starts, you select either vanila or wotc, then where your mod list is,  it shows bright yellow warnings next to mods that wont work, and you just click disable all mods, or just dont select any!

Kinda wish I'd seen this before unsubscribing :D

I don't think it matters though; I'd be very unlikely to go back to vanilla, even with Long War, as I've played that game to death.  It looks as though a lot of my favourite mods (flank preview, evac all, mass effect characters etc.) are already appearing with WotC versions so I'll be picking up the expansion soon.

On 04/09/2017 at 10:57, 5R7 said:

so found out an intersting thing, you can delete almost the entire main game, and war of the chosen will still work, as it is essentially self contained.

saving 25 gig! which on my 500gig games ssd, was a bit lol

Does WotC appear as a separate item in your steam library then?

No its not a separate item, but, the game itself launches wotc from a separate exe in a separate folder (the xcom2 - warofthechosen folder)  from the main game.

xcom.JPG.1d1a0e7239cafbecc720e9fc8e467149.JPG

inside xcom2 - warofthechosen is all the files for the game, baring it seems some movie files.

Then inside the folder that says xcomgame is a folder called "cookedPCconsole" this is where the bulk of the game is. and is the folder i deleted. i tried moving everything to a different folder first to check it worked, and there were some missing movies, so just deleted the cookedpcconsole folder, and the game has worked absolutely fine.

BUT, i am not all the way through yet, so cant say for certain that it wont crassh at some point, if it does ill pop a post it. but a goodf chunk through, no issues at all!

• Upvote 1

I somehow managed to miss Long War 2 completely after finishing XCOM 2. I might have to go back in... Goodbye life.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Benny said:

I somehow managed to miss Long War 2 completely after finishing XCOM 2. I might have to go back in... Goodbye life.

Yep, LW2 is ridiculously good.  It's basically a completely new game for free.  PC gaming is the best :)

I know I'm way behind the curve here, but I've only just got round to trying to finish the vanilla game, in anticipation of grabbing War of the Chosen once it's out on console. I had reservations when I first played it, but coming back to it I've loved every moment. Except... I've just reached the end of the final mission. Seriously, what the fuck is this bullshit? It's cheap, it's unfair, and it renders all the skills that have seen you through to this point of the game pretty much redundant. I don't think I've seen such a good game jump the shark so completely and so quickly.

I've gone from looking forward to War of the Chosen to just giving up on XCom 2 altogether. Just horrible.

So is the current xcom 2 for PS4 a good deal? Or not without dlc?

I've been hearing so many good things about War of the Chosen that I really want to get back into this. I was never able to finish the first game though simply due to being overwhelmed bu the base building mechanics. :( 

Is XCOM 2 a bit more forgiving in that regard?

10 hours ago, Dinobot said:

So is the current xcom 2 for PS4 a good deal? Or not without dlc?

Despite my gripes about the final mission, it is a great game, even in its vanilla form. I've not played any of the DLC to date. It's about £13 on PSN at the moment isn't it? It's definitely worth it at that price. You can't play War of the Chosen without the original game anyway.

13 minutes ago, VN1X said:

I've been hearing so many good things about War of the Chosen that I really want to get back into this. I was never able to finish the first game though simply due to being overwhelmed bu the base building mechanics. :( 

Is XCOM 2 a bit more forgiving in that regard?

They have simplified some of the base-building mechanics in XCOM 2, and some of it just works differently. The game as whole is considerably more punishing than the first though.

I am mad addicted to this just now - haven't played anything else since I started it.

PS4 performance is still atrocious but I just go off and read the internet during the loading screens.

The voice cast is astounding if you're in any way into Star Trek, it has 90% of the original TNG cast pretty much.

Hmm, People mentioned performance improvements on the DLC - does that include smoother load scenes and less of that horrible pop-in on level load? 

I was so annoyed by bugs in the release of X2 that I gave up on it.

it loads a lot faster, should note, im playing on pc on an ssd. But it is a massive improvement, loading is useually less than 5 seconds or so, well, it seems that way!

BUT, it does not improve the original game in any way, as this is essentially a seperate thing, and none of the improvements have been patched in.

On 06/09/2017 at 22:51, Cappuccino Kid said:

I know I'm way behind the curve here, but I've only just got round to trying to finish the vanilla game, in anticipation of grabbing War of the Chosen once it's out on console. I had reservations when I first played it, but coming back to it I've loved every moment. Except... I've just reached the end of the final mission. Seriously, what the fuck is this bullshit? It's cheap, it's unfair, and it renders all the skills that have seen you through to this point of the game pretty much redundant. I don't think I've seen such a good game jump the shark so completely and so quickly.

I've gone from looking forward to War of the Chosen to just giving up on XCom 2 altogether. Just horrible.

Spoilerz :D

The PS4 version of War of the Chosen is a broken mess. Frame rates far lower than the original game, audio problems and a lovely bug where explosive damage doesn't register. I'd avoid until patched, it's a real struggle at the moment.

Don't know if it makes any difference, but I'm on a Pro and I've tried it with Boost mode on and off.

Before I think about picking up WftC, I've come back to this in the hope of completing an Ironman run on Commander difficulty. I've just entered September, it's looking good.

I have an odd question regarding the Shen's Last Gift DLC:

Spoiler

Does anyone know who voiced JULIAN? He's incredible! I read somewhere unreliable which suggested it might be Brandon Keener (who voiced none other than Garrus Vakarian), which would make sense. The guy's got real talent.

I've just started Xcom 2, I've never played one before! 

I like it a lot but I feel like I'm just not very good at it, or I'm missing some important mechanics and there is so much happening on the map at all times when I just want to mooch about and scan and take my time. My big aliens event thing is filling up really fast and now I'm just mildly panicking all the time. I've just cleared the first alien blacksite with the things on a train. I think I'm behind on building radio tower things, I'm trying to make contact with other areas where there are big red statues. 

Any tips?! I don't know what I'm doing really!

And I've just realised this is the DLC isn't it?! Not just vanilla Xcom 2. Whoops.