BBC's Watchdog - rllmuk vs Sony

Pob

Still stinks that they're heavily implying this was Pockets own fault because for having P@SSWORD as his password and that they're being highly benevolent by actually giving back what they know was stolen from him.

This from the company that thinks that two step authentication is having to click log-in twice on PSN because the network is being flakey.

Yeah, a real buried "fuck you" there. It would have made me furious.

But then I know I don't re-use passwords anywhere, and they're all strong unique ones.

I bet that's more than can be said for a shifty guy like Pockets. All his fault, no doubt. Deserves to have his stuff nicked, and then told to get lost.

Having re-examined this case, I can assure you that neither PlayStation Network nor Sony Entertainment Network services were compromised to obtain access to your account. In this instance, available evidence suggests that your account was accessed by attackers using usernames and passwords that were obtained outside of our Network.

That just reads like them shirking the responsibility again. If they are so adamant about their system being so secure why are they going to the trouble of refunding people for something they still claim is beyond their T&C's?

Bunch of shysters.

I just glanced at the comments on Eurogamer and most seemed to be positive, perhaps even unaware that this was their policy.

Cheers to you guys for sticking with this, I hope your effort see some changes.

My reply if anyone's interested:

Hi

Unfortunately, no it doesn’t come anywhere near restoring my confidence. You have begrudgingly refunded me after 6 months, multiple calls and emails, tweets to various executives at Sony and a BBC investigation. I suspect had the latter not happened you’d still be ignoring me. Whilst I appreciate that my situation could well have been someone trying to trick you, you just assumed that was what I was doing. The fact that this is even possible is a flaw in your systems, not something your customers should suffer for. You cannot assume all your customers are potential fraudsters and refuse to refund them as ‘punishment’ for a crime just because your lax processes mean it’s remotely possible they may have committed it.

As you say, sadly criminal activity like this is an unfortunate element of modern online life. Perhaps then, you should provide tighter security for your customers like two factor authentication. If you don’t want to pay the cost of fraud, protect against it, don’t force your customers to pay for it.

Almost everyone I spoke to in your customer service centres, after 30 minute waits each time, was friendly and tried what they could to help but were ultimately powerless to do so thanks to your policies. Only one agent, the last I contacted was rude and told me Sony were keeping my money as a punishment.

The only person at Sony who gave me any faith in your company was the first guy I called who is in the recording you may have heard. He did what he could and clearly understood the issue and what was wrong about how it was being dealt with.

Whilst I appreciate the fact that you have refunded me, it’s useless to me now as I no longer own the machine and frankly I’m amazed that you think I’d still have a PS4 after all this. (The one in the Watchdog piece was provided by them which I reluctantly agreed to use for the show). I’d ask for it to refunded into my bank but we both know that’s not going to happen.

Thanks for emailing and good luck improving your services for others.

John

Did you copy Watchdog in on this? It'd be great if they did something with it.

It could be that I am drunk and lacking any perspective, but in a forum history that has been liberally sprinkled with fine moments in the manner of a blind farmer spreading his seed, this might just prove to be rllmuk's finest.

47d7e8ac66770c3dc0b9307eafbe2f6c.jpg

The annoying thing for me about the Sony defenders are those saying that if you get refunded you get the game for free so it's just a scam. It doesn't enter their tiny brains that Sony should be able to remove the game/license from the account and everyone is happy. If Sony can't do that, they are just shit.

The annoying thing for me about the Sony defenders are those saying that if you get refunded you get the game for free so it's just a scam. It doesn't enter their tiny brains that Sony should be able to remove the game/license from the account and everyone is happy. If Sony can't do that, they are just shit.

I wouldn't get too annoyed by it. They're not using logic or reason or empathy to draw their conclusions.

Also, I'd have been much nastier, they haven't refunded you, they've essentially given you a gift voucher for a service you'll never use. I'd have written back and insisted on a cash refund.

You won't get it, but there's no reason to make it easy for them.

Had it been dropped this week?

It wasn't on the promo and they're leading with that chicken story that broke today

That chicken story was already scheduled yesterday, so either they knew the news would break today and planned for it, or it's a coincidence.