IGNORED

BBC's Watchdog - rllmuk vs Sony

Pob

"We have industry leading measures in place to protect our customers" according to Sony.

Yeah, like no two-factor authentication, passwords kept in plain text, a long history of laughable downtime stats (often due to security vulnerabilities!) and a brick wall "get fucked" stance to anyone who falls foul of problems on their end.

Even if Pockets DID get phished (and I don't think he did), it's still not his fault. Two factor authentication would have made it a non issue. You could scrawl your PSN account details on the side of your house in neon paint and it wouldn't matter.

This whole console generation feels to me like a long wet fart slowly turning into a follow-through, for a multitude of reasons. I'm really considering jacking in the PS4 and the Xbone and sticking with PC/Nintendo. I feel like my bases are already covered by both.

While part of me doesn't think this is the case, and it's rather endemic at SCEE and comes from higher management, I'd love to think this was all being done by a middle manager level trying to bolster their figures and now all shit has hit the fan.

Just had a reply from Watchdog and they said that I need to re-approach Sony now, which I have just done, I am still banned and so is my Son, however the CS guy said he would pass it up to head office for re-review, I'm not going to hold my breath but you never know.

I removed my card details from PSN recently, but the thing that scares me most is that if someone gains access to your account, then deactivates your PS4 as the primary console, you're completely fucked for 6 months because Sony claim there's nothing they can do. There's literally nothing you can do to protect against that with no two-factor auth. At least you can protect against money being stolen by not keeping credit cards or PSN credit on your account.

The annoying truth is that, even with the best will in the world and a combination of a unique email address and unbreakable password, these are both useless if Sony get hacked again. It has happened twice on an industrial scale. It is a reasonable expectation that it will happen again.

I've had various issues with Microsoft over the years but all fairly minor. It's annoying to have a problem that requires you to call in but whenever I did I got a chirpy Irish guy who said "No worries fella" and sorted my issue within a minute. I'm only adding this in the interests of balance, I've got no idea what MS are like now but whilst we all have issues with companies from time to time most are pretty decent about it and I've got no problem with that. Everyone makes mistakes and that's fine, it's how they're dealt with.

If I bump into you in a pub and spill your drink I'll offer to get you another one. Sony seem like they'd deny spilling it, or that you even had one, or that you probably stole the drink. That's why they're getting taken outside for a kicking.

I think its more like Sony say it was your own fault that you spilt your drink and then they ban you from the bar so you can't get any more drinks from your all inclusive deal.

Again Bravo to all involved, I have whined about the terrible service from Sony for years and have long thought they get far too easy a ride on here so while I am not pleased other people are falling victim to their appalling service at least there is a chance something positive will come from it - Sony can only be publicly shamed in to doing anything it seems and that is a terrible state of affairs :(

The short version is that my own account was banned earlier this year, I do NOT own a Playstation and never have done, I only own a Sony TV and had an account for purchasing Films, someone hacked me and Pre-Ordered "Shadow of Mordor" for the PS4, it was not out for another 6 weeks. After many calls and emails, Sony basically told me to get lost and they were keeping the money, so I did a chargeback and got banned. I contacted Watchdog about it and shared my Story, they obviously spoke to Sony about the people who had lodged complaints and Last Thursday/Friday whilst Pockets and the other guy were getting refunded and their accounts re-instated, Sony must have looked at my account and noticed that my 9 year old Son has a sub account under my account for his PSVita, so they banned him as well, meaning he has lost access and all his games he purchased now as well, they then proceeded to try to blackmail me again to pay back the £54.99 to have mine and my Son's account re-instated!

They are completely immoral, I really don't know what my next move should be, I am exhausted with it and to boot I have one very upset child, I was extremely tempted last night to just pay them.

I can understand the temptation. However the problem still remains and if you pay up to gain back access for your son what's to stop it happening again within a week? Or a day?

Ok I want to direct some of the media outlet to this thread, which posts should I tell them to focus on?

I'm thinking

post #113 http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/285905-bbcs-watchdog-tonight-at-8pm-watch-famous-rllmuker-pockets-bring-down-sony/?p=10402673

any others?

To add I've gone with the above post, you need to be quick in this social media world, I've tweeted that link to gaming news sites that ran with a story yesterday.

Ok I want to direct some of the media outlet to this thread, which posts should I tell them to focus on?

I'm thinking

post #113 http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/285905-bbcs-watchdog-tonight-at-8pm-watch-famous-rllmuker-pockets-bring-down-sony/?p=10402673

any others?

To add I've gone with the above post, you need to be quick in this social media world, I've tweeted that link to gaming news sites that ran with a story yesterday.

This one (#390):

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/285905-bbcs-watchdog-tonight-at-8pm-watch-famous-rllmuker-pockets-bring-down-sony/page-13#entry10403682

How OlsBean has been treated in particular is fucking terrible. I wonder if it's possible for Pockets, now in posession of a useless account with £40 in it, to just give the details to OlsBean so he can use it to rebuy his kid a couple of games to tide him over while his fuckup continues? To spice it up we can take bets on if it'll either be a nice piece of philanthropism that works, or if the account just gets banned again.

Remember everyone, Sony only uses industry leading security technology and there's absolutely no way that they could be at fault at all.

Come on Sony bashers, let's be fair; it's not like they've specified which industry their security practices are leading in.

This one (#390):

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/285905-bbcs-watchdog-tonight-at-8pm-watch-famous-rllmuker-pockets-bring-down-sony/page-13#entry10403682

How OlsBean has been treated in particular is fucking terrible. I wonder if it's possible for Pockets, now in posession of a useless account with £40 in it, to just give the details to OlsBean so he can use it to rebuy his kid a couple of games to tide him over while his fuckup continues? To spice it up we can take bets on if it'll either be a nice piece of philanthopism that works, or if the account just gets banned again.

We should have a whip-round and buy OlsBean's kid a 3DS.

Bizarre response. Where in Vespa Alex's post did he suggest this was bound to affect change in Sony's position?

Wasn't the intention to try and get Sony to admit to their mistakes and sort it out for everyone, not just a couple of individuals?

If that was the case, then they definitely didn't do a first class job.

I think it all depends how big a problem it becomes. The fact it's gone this far would suggest they need to do something about it. If they don't then the problem will only multiply as the userbase grows, and the hackers greater in number.

Wasn't the intention to try and get Sony to admit to their mistakes and sort it out for everyone, not just a couple of individuals?

If that was the case, then they definitely didn't do a first class job.

That result aould have been brilliant. But unlikely. Few expected it.

The battle was won, the war was not.

What do you think Watchdog could have done better? They have no power to force Sony to do anything beyond publicly shaming them to change. We don't know yet what, if anything, Sony will do as a result (probably nothing).

Maybe pushed Sony harder for answers. Sent a reporter out to Japan to speak to them. I dunno. Just something than letting the director blow the budget on his medieval fantasy. It just all felt a bit pointless and Sony will just continue with business as usual.

Maybe pushed Sony harder for answers. Sent a reporter out to Japan to speak to them. I dunno. Just something than letting the director blow the budget on his medieval fantasy. It just all felt a bit pointless and Sony will just continue with business as usual.

The viking thing was quite pointless, yeah, but from the few times I've watched it in the last decade the whole piece seemed par for them. I guess unless you can go undercover, demonstrate a dangerous product or get a representative to speak directly to you it's difficult to do much more than present the consumers stories and whatever response Sony provide.

I thought they could perhaps have addressed the fact that there's no two factor authentication or that Sony can (but choose not to) revoke digital licenses, because that would effectively negate any suggestion that some customers could be gaming the system and allow them to refund all those affected.

EDIT: But as others have since pointed out, getting that info, which we inherently understand, over to your average Watchdog viewer in a 5-10 minute segment would have been challenging.

It's generated bad publicity about the issue on national television - that's a fantastic achievement :)